Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So apparently the Spurs signed Dominick Barlow to a two-way deal.

This is what ESPN said about him:

November 11, 2021: (Mock draft) -- Automatically eligible for the 2022 NBA draft as a 2021 high school graduate who elected to sign with a professional league, some eyebrows were raised by Barlow's decision to forgo college considering he was only the No. 80-ranked recruit in his high school class. So far, that decision hasn't looked as bad as it did when announced in September, as Barlow had a strong showing at the OTE pro day in front of 60 NBA scouts, and has been performing very well in six games played thus far as well, improving his draft stock in the process.

What Barlow lacks in pure size (6-foot-9) or strength (214 pounds) he makes up for with an impressive combination of fluidity, explosiveness, smarts and budding skill. He's regularly tasked with guarding players much smaller than him on the perimeter, and does a nice job of getting in a deep stance, turning his hips agilely and covering ground to make plays at the rim. While he's not the most physical rebounder or interior defender, the fact that he can legitimately guard players much smaller than him gives Barlow great versatility to tap into, and the soft touch around the rim and intriguing passing creativity he displays hint at good things to come down the road offensively as well. Barlow has yet to make a 3-pointer in six games but is shooting 82% from the free throw line and has made a number of difficult pull-up jumpers inside the arc, indicating plenty of room for growth in this area.

It remains to be seen how much value NBA teams will see in a prospect like Barlow who isn't blessed with incredible long-term upside, doesn't play a position that is all that hard to find, and is probably pretty far away from stepping on a NBA court at 18 years old, making him far from a lock to hear his name called. With another year on his contract at OTE, it's not hard to envision him finding a niche at the pro level in the summer of 2023 with the many things he brings to the floor, and it would not be surprising to see him develop into a NBA player down the road if he continues to improve. -- Jonathan Givony
    Doesn't seem to be the center I wanted, but he is a big with potential.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Typical 2 years away from being 2 years away prospect, but apparently talented. Will be interesting seeing his role in Austin.

Whoever's mad about the 38th pick being traded should consider it as Barlow being taken there due to the willingness to sign a two-way. I actually liked Chandler there but oh well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    dont know much about him but he has the size they need

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice! Was a top 60 prospect for me -- had him on the Big Board. He moves extremely well for a big man, is 6-foot-10 with a 7-foot-3 wingspan and his shooting stroke looks believable. He played trash compe ion on Overtime Elite so it was difficult to get a read on him but he's really intriguing, IMO.

Barlow was on Mitch Johnson's combine scrimmage team so the Spurs probably already got a good read on him. I would have been happy with Barlow at 38 after going with Sochan and the two guards ... so I'm thrilled with him as a two-way.

Big wins tonight, boys.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Typical 2 years away from being 2 years away prospect, but apparently talented. Will be interesting seeing his role in Austin.

Whoever's mad about the 38th pick being traded should consider it as Barlow being taken there due to the willingness to sign a two-way. I actually liked Chandler there but oh well.
    Yep, I considered that. There were some decent players who didn't get picked, and the Spurs using a two-way on them rather than using it on a random vet definitely takes some of the sting. I don't know if Barlow was the guy I wanted, but it seems like he's a guy folks didn't really get to see much of in general. Maybe the Spurs feel like there's something there. Not enough to take at 38, but we'll see.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some of the few YouTube highlights:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ESPN had Barlow 48 so that's a good get for an undrafted two-way, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ESPN had Barlow 48 so that's a good get for an undrafted two-way, tbh.
    I mean, if you told me the Spurs were going to trade down from 38 to 48 then draft a guy to give a two-way to, I wouldn't be that mad. Blah, blah, still good players there and all, but I wouldn't hate the value. I guess the team really scouted the PF position this year. Obviously Sochan being a pick, but Minott and Houstan being so heavily linked to the team makes me think the Spurs really wanted to come out of tonight with at least one or two guys at that position.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah this is ing solid. Spurs are having a great night. Best night of the post Duncan era tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Holy , Barlow is 6-9 barefoot with a 7-3 wingspan. It wouldn't surprise me if he had a higher standing reach than Duren. He wouldn't be a giant center, but it's a position he might be able to grow into.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting. I can’t deny though that he seems like yet again the Spurs skimping on big man talent and going with super value options, but they had more pressing needs than big men help.

Glad you ended up getting a big man prospect Chinook.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was a little disappointed we passed on some viable prospects in the 2nd round, but all in all this felt like a dream draft for me. True, we're not coming away with a franchise player, and we might barely make the top 5 most improved teams after the draft (I have Detroit, Houston and Orlando top 3, and OKC and us behind), but I think we made the most of what we had, and give how many scares we went through in the last few days (Caleb Houstan, Max Christie, Minott at 20, and so on) it feels ungrateful to ask for more than we got: an extremely versatile defensive stalwart and playmaker with excellent size and bball IQ, an excellent shooter with good size and extremely high character and work ethic, and a very athletic guard who can defend and score, all of whom are extremely young and with significant upside. So this night, major props to the FO for their job.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This thread le would have been more appropriate for Sochan given his English roots.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice! Was a top 60 prospect for me -- had him on the Big Board. He moves extremely well for a big man, is 6-foot-10 with a 7-foot-3 wingspan and his shooting stroke looks believable. He played trash compe ion on Overtime Elite so it was difficult to get a read on him but he's really intriguing, IMO.

Barlow was on Mitch Johnson's combine scrimmage team so the Spurs probably already got a good read on him. I would have been happy with Barlow at 38 after going with Sochan and the two guards ... so I'm thrilled with him as a two-way.

Big wins tonight, boys.
    He's 19 and 3 months old
    Why wasn't he drafted? The above would seem to have him as a pick. 6'10, 7'3" wingspan. Combine numbers confirm size and decent to good athleticism- Makes FT at a good rate to suggest that his shooting stroke is real...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was a little disappointed we passed on some viable prospects in the 2nd round, but all in all this felt like a dream draft for me. True, we're not coming away with a franchise player, and we might barely make the top 5 most improved teams after the draft (I have Detroit, Houston and Orlando top 3, and OKC and us behind), but I think we made the most of what we had, and give how many scares we went through in the last few days (Caleb Houstan, Max Christie, Minott at 20, and so on) it feels ungrateful to ask for more than we got: an extremely versatile defensive stalwart and playmaker with excellent size and bball IQ, an excellent shooter with good size and extremely high character and work ethic, and a very athletic guard who can defend and score, all of whom are extremely young and with significant upside. So this night, major props to the FO for their job.
    When you mentioned Caleb Houston it just made me think he was the Spurs target at 38, but bc he went earlier then they just sold the pick. Houstan size would have fit in with adding another 6’8” player, this one more of a project but someone to make them more comfortable having depth and size to develop.

We will never know if the Spurs had actually given that promise. Lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you mentioned Caleb Houston it just made me think he was the Spurs target at 38, but bc he went earlier then they just sold the pick. Houstan size would have fit in with adding another 6’8” player, this one more of a project but someone to make them more comfortable having depth and size to develop.

We will never know if the Spurs had actually given that promise. Lol
    Houstan missed the combined and that started speculations that he might have received a promise, and given the reasons you mention and that the Spurs had multiple picks in the range he could conceivably go, they were one of the teams he was linked to (OKC being the other). But that's just about the whole foundation of the rumor, and it simply could have been a minor injury, or simply strategy (worked for Sharpe). That said, eventually it came out that he had multiple workouts, which would contradict the notion that he received a draft promise to keep himself from other teams, and he was eventually passed on both by the Spurs (at 25) and OKC (at 30 -traded to Denver- and 34 -Jaylin Williams-) to end up drafted by the Magic at 32. So, all in all, I think the most likely explanation is that there was no promise to begin with, and if there was, it was from Orlando and not the Spurs, IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Big wins tonight, boys.
    Good info. I like him already.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe he’d make me forget Liddell at 38 or Kamagate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ve only watched the highlights but seems like he has a decent feel for the game and where to be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He could be our own version of the Unicorn, albeit a Unicorn Jr hehehe

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This thread le would have been more appropriate for Sochan given his English roots.
    Yeah I think someone got them confused with Sochan cause Barlow is a New Jersey boy....

Thread Information