Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718
    Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I personally like Barlow more as a talent but admit that Bassey's rebounding potential is what the team desperately needs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You mean the Pau who averaged 14/12/7 and two blockers per 36 while shooting 58 percent from three? That is what he did in the nine games before he got injured that year. Jakob averaged 12/11/3 with about two blocks per 36. It's hard to parse out advanced stats because they don't separate for certain chunks of games, but even with that, 18/19 Poeltl and 18/19 Spurs Gasol were about the same. There wasn't actually a massive statistical difference between them. The reason why it seems obvious that everyone wanted Pau is because the ST battle that year was over young players versus vets, and guys like Mills and Gasol and to a lesser extent LMA, DMDR and Gay were being on. It's sort of how Vassell is constantly on this year despite him being the second-best player on a good contract and who's shown some legit improvement in a critical area. The meme wars create false impressions.

how are you gonna bring up per 36 numbers when Pau only played 12 minutes on average that season? That's a very stupid argument as it would make any bench player averaging 5 PPG look like a stud. I could say the same thing about Bassey who per 36 averages 11 PPG 13.3 RB 3 Blocks and 3.7 AST. You are picking and chosing.

The main reason why people wanted Poeltl is cause Gasol's pick and roll defense sucked ever since he got here. Although his Offensive rating was 120 and his defensive 107, for whatever reason, he was a liability on defense and everybody who watched the games knew it. Poeltl had an O Rating of 133 and D Rtg of 108. He was clearly impacting the game more than Pau, which is why he was the better option at that time.

Now if your argument was that Pau is more skilled than Poeltl, that's a different thing.
    Last edited by RC_Drunkford; 03-03-2024 at 07:16 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m not religious, but every night i light a candle and pray that people will stop defaulting to defensive rating to compare the quality of individual defenders, particularly those on different teams or different seasons

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how are you gonna bring up per 36 numbers when Pau only played 12 minutes on average that season? That's a very stupid argument as it would make any bench player averaging 5 PPG look like a stud. I could say the same thing about Bassey who per 36 averages 11 PPG 13.3 RB 3 Blocks and 3.7 AST. You are picking and chosing.
    I used per-36 numbers because Pau came off the bench that year and averaged 18mpg during the stretch I mentioned. The issue with per-36 numbers come from projecting them out into a larger role. Poeltl averaged 15 minutes per game during the first 40 games (which covers the beginning nine games and the following 31 of Pau's injury). The samples were slightly different but comparable -- they were both in the role as Aldridge's back-up. Standardizing both to per-36 increased Jakob's stats relative to Gasol's

The main reason why people wanted Poeltl is cause Gasol's pick and roll defense sucked ever since he got here. Although his Offensive rating was 120 and his defensive 107, for whatever reason, he was a liability on defense and everybody who watched the games knew it. Poeltl had an O Rating of 133 and D Rtg of 108. He was clearly impacting the game more than Pau, which is why he was the better option at that time.
    The PnR defensive stats don't actually bear out that Poeltl was better. NBA.com stats are a little opaque, but Jakob graded out as a poor defender and Pau elite that year. Of course, the Spurs used drop coverage then just as they do now, and I could imagine that making the grading harder to get right. Drop coverage makes slower bigs look bad, which is why that one guy on YouTube hates it. I want to say that Gasol played his role in that coverage well but due to the nature of drop coverage, it looked like he was being iso'd and targeted by opposing ball-handlers.

That's ignoring that Pau could space the floor and pass better than Poeltl (though Jakob became a better passer at time went on), which fit better in an offense that was dominated by three iso players. Gasol was also one of the best rim-protectors in the league.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We’ll probably need both for one more season, especially if Zach’s deal is use for matching purposes on a big trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't really seen it specifically announced anywhere, but on Spotrac, they have the Barlow contract listed as just a rest-of-season deal with him set to hit restricted free agency at the end of the season.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/san-anto...-barlow-78565/

even with the spurs being over the cap, they still had the room exception to play around with, so the lack of long term deal is odd, unless PATFO, or more likely, barlow, doesnt want a bassie/champagnie type deal

if true, his QO over the summer will be just about 2 mil, which isnt much at all either way
    Last edited by spurraider21; 03-05-2024 at 01:48 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't really seen it specifically announced anywhere, but on Spotrac, they have the Barlow contract listed as just a rest-of-season deal with him set to hit restricted free agency at the end of the season.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/san-anto...-barlow-78565/

even with the spurs being over the cap, they still had the room exception to play around with, so the lack of long term deal is odd, unless PATFO, or more likely, barlow, doesnt want a bassie/champagnie type deal

if true, his QO over the summer will be just about 2 mil, which isnt much at all either way
    That's interesting. A possible explanation of that move could be that Spurs want to keep as much cap space as possible this summer for potential FA signings and/or trades.

As you said, it could also be something else like Barlow not wanting that kind of deal or Spurs not being high enough on him to guarantee him a few M$.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's interesting is that Barlow will have regular RFA status this year and not the more restrictive status that comes with being a two-way. That might've been part of the tacit agreement Dom's representation and the Spurs reached last year to resolve that impasse. Barlow asked not to be drafted in order to have more control over his destiny, so it's not surprising to me that he'd want to avoid a Hinkie special.

I'm happy the Spurs aren't committing guaranteed salary to Barlow yet. It could be in order to save cap space, but it could also be to save the roster spot itself. We talk a lot about the potential two firsts the team will have, but they're slated to have two other picks in the top 50, and that part of the draft has capable upperclassmen at all different positions. The Spurs should absolutely be open to bringing in multiple options at center as they continue to try to see what works next to Wemby. Everyone knows I don't think the world of Bassey, but Barlow's position isn't sacred either. The flow of picks isn't going to stop even after a major trade, so the team needs to become more ruthless when it comes to cycling through the bottom of its roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's interesting is that Barlow will have regular RFA status this year and not the more restrictive status that comes with being a two-way. That might've been part of the tacit agreement Dom's representation and the Spurs reached last year to resolve that impasse. Barlow asked not to be drafted in order to have more control over his destiny, so it's not surprising to me that he'd want to avoid a Hinkie special.

I'm happy the Spurs aren't committing guaranteed salary to Barlow yet. It could be in order to save cap space, but it could also be to save the roster spot itself. We talk a lot about the potential two firsts the team will have, but they're slated to have two other picks in the top 50, and that part of the draft has capable upperclassmen at all different positions. The Spurs should absolutely be open to bringing in multiple options at center as they continue to try to see what works next to Wemby. Everyone knows I don't think the world of Bassey, but Barlow's position isn't sacred either. The flow of picks isn't going to stop even after a major trade, so the team needs to become more ruthless when it comes to cycling through the bottom of its roster.
    I can think of about 8 or so players on the roster whose I'd rather give up first.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

wont be suprised if barlow didnt want to commit to us.You got pop playing champ,Collins and branham who have been playing like
    trash the majority of the season,Yet barlow who hasint looked bad,Still gets pushed aside.Now not playing any more.Wtf happend

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People acting like the Spurs should be courting this guy or somehow concerned about losing him in FA

6’9 center with a high motor who can sorta rebound and tears apart the Gleague, stop the presses

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People acting like the Spurs should be courting this guy or somehow concerned about losing him in FA

6’9 center with a high motor who can sorta rebound and tears apart the Gleague, stop the presses
    i dont think they should have given him guaranteed money beyond this season. it was noteworthy in both bassey/champagnie got non-guaranteed multiyear deals coming off their respective 2-way contracts

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone else notice Barlow looked legit tonight and seemed capable of guarding Booker OR Durant well, and holding his own inside v Nurcic? And definitely looked better than Eubanks?

Thread Information