Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Get", not "guess"**

Why can't we edit posts anymore, a site malefunction, or something done by design? If it's the latter, logic is missing all around, tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, let me guess this straight:

-Primo finished last season in the starting lineup.
    -The Spurs see Primo as the PG of the future.
    -The Spurs traded their all-star starting PG, and are in full rebuilding mode.
    -But you think the smartest thing would be to demote Primo back to the bench, to give the starting role to a player the organization doesn't see as having as much potential?

Ok. You can have any opinion you want, just know that it isn't the most popular or logical one, tbh.
    I read it as him simply saying...let them compete and start whoever is further along at the start of the season... that's not really a controversial take...they're both getting plenty of minutes but you want your young guys competing..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I read it as him simply saying...let them compete and start whoever is further along at the start of the season... that's not really a controversial take...they're both getting plenty of minutes but you want your young guys competing..
    Jones, Primo, Wesley, Edwards (X-10) -- Think Tre's going to get a modest extension and be named the starter at least for now
    Even if he said what you are thinking he implied, I would have to disagree because if you ask me, I might have to say that Jones played better than Primo last season, yet Josh was the one that end up in the starting lineup. And I think that's the right choice. Sometimes it isn't about who's playing better in the moment, sometimes it is about who you think will give you more benefits in the grand scheme of things. It is like when Murray was given the starting role over Mills, despite Patty being the much more productive player at the time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, let me guess this straight:

-Primo finished last season in the starting lineup.
    -The Spurs see Primo as the PG of the future.
    -The Spurs traded their all-star starting PG, and are in full rebuilding mode.
    -But you think the smartest thing would be to demote Primo back to the bench, to give the starting role to a player the organization doesn't see as having as much potential?

Ok. You can have any opinion you want, just know that it isn't the most popular or logical one, tbh.
    Primo played off-guard with the Spurs with or without Murray.
    When Murray was out, Jones stepped in.
    Jones is a third-year player who showed massive improvement
    Jones is eligible for a modest long-term extension
    Primo may or may not have his big jump this year

Jones is young and could be am average starting PG, which is worth a lot. If it's possible to get that out of him AND sign him to a cheap deal, he'll be a tremendous asset, even in the event Primo develops. That's why it's worth doing.

The opposite take is that even if Jones is playing well and Primo doesn't take his leap, starting Josh makes more sense because of ceiling. But that take assumes that Primo starting is the better long-term move for his development. It's d-league logic all over again. If he's better, he's better. His youth can be a tie-breaker. But if he's not, it's better for him, Tre and the team if Jones gets a nice extension and starts. Jones is a good prospect in his own right and shouldn't be ignored because of theoretical ceiling. Once Primo catches up, you can trade Tre away for a tidy sum or just have a great backup PG locked into a reasonable deal. But that has to actually happen first.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even if he said what you are thinking he implied, I would have to disagree because if you ask me, I might have to say that Jones played better than Primo last season, yet Josh was the one that end up in the starting lineup. And I think that's the right choice. Sometimes it isn't about who's playing better in the moment, sometimes it is about who you think will give you more benefits in the grand scheme of things. It is like when Murray was given the starting role over Mills, despite Patty being the much more productive player at the time.
    And the Spurs did that while competing for championships. Now, that they are on full rebuilding mode, all the more reason to play the guy with bigger upside, than the guy that gives you more productivity in the present.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo ended up in the starting line up because he can play the 2 and 3. Tre can’t. It wasn’t about Tre being better than Primo at the time. Primo could be better but Tre was not even his compe ion at the time. Last season, Primo mostly played the 3. This can be backed up by basketballreference. This is not to say there’s no plans to play Primo at the point in the future— Nobody knows that. But you can’t use any data from the past because it’s not relevant at all when you’re trying to compare the two.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And the Spurs did that while competing for championships. Now, that they are on full rebuilding mode, all the more reason to play the guy with bigger upside, than the guy that gives you more productivity in the present.
    I hear ya...I just want my upside guy competing for that spot and not just 'given' it...I also think that unless Tre has improved his 3 point shot a good bit (and I hope he has) that Primo will compete and win out..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “It wasnt about Primo being better than Tre at the time is what I meant” ing no edit button

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Jones is young and could be am average starting PG, which is worth a lot. If it's possible to get that out of him AND sign him to a cheap deal, he'll be a tremendous asset, even in the event Primo develops. That's why it's worth doing.

The opposite take is that even if Jones is playing well and Primo doesn't take his leap, starting Josh makes more sense because of ceiling. But that take assumes that Primo starting is the better long-term move for his development. It's d-league logic all over again. If he's better, he's better. His youth can be a tie-breaker. But if he's not, it's better for him, Tre and the team if Jones gets a nice extension and starts. Jones is a good prospect in his own right and shouldn't be ignored because of theoretical ceiling. Once Primo catches up, you can trade Tre away for a tidy sum or just have a great backup PG locked into a reasonable deal. But that has to actually happen first.
    If Jones is up for an extension, why inflate his price by making him a starter? Just play him at his projected role as a backup PG and pay what you have to pay for him.

At this point in time, Jones projected role for his entire career is backup PG. Primo's projected role, at least according to what the rumours say the Spurs think, is starting PG. Why reverse that to start this season? Just start the season according to their perceived potentials and don't mess with rankings within the roster. If, as the season progresses, Jones proves that he can be more than a backup PG and/or Primo proves to be a flop, then you can make the switch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo started at two-guard next to Murray to end the year. Jones started at PG during that last stretch when Murray was sidelined They didn't just go with Josh and have Tre come off the bench.

If it makes you feel better, I think they might both start with Vassell, Johnson and Poeltl. But folks wanting Sochan or McDermott to start disagree there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Jones is up for an extension, why inflate his price by making him a starter? Just play him at his projected role as a backup PG and pay what you have to pay for him.

At this point in time, Jones projected role for his entire career is backup PG. Primo's projected role, at least according to what the rumours say the Spurs think, is starting PG. Why reverse that to start this season? Just start the season according to their perceived potentials and don't mess with rankings within the roster. If, as the season progresses, Jones proves that he can be more than a backup PG and/or Primo proves to be a flop, then you can make the switch.
    Jones can only sign for up to the MLE. For the Spurs that's nothing. If he's a starter-worthy PG, you don't play games to save a bit of money.

Almost all of their growth this year is likely happening now. Players have their gains mostly during the summers. If Jones is better in September, he's likely still going to be better in April.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo started at two-guard next to Murray to end the year. Jones started at PG during that last stretch when Murray was sidelined They didn't just go with Josh and have Tre come off the bench.

If it makes you feel better, I think they might both start with Vassell, Johnson and Poeltl. But folks wanting Sochan or McDermott to start disagree there.
    If the rumours of the Spurs wanting Primo to play PG are real (and they must be, since all the other rumours were) then starting him at SG doesn't make sense. It isn't about what makes me feel better, it is about what makes the most sense for the path the Spurs want to take.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This + 1

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Jones is up for an extension, …
    Jones is signed through next season. His salary, 1.7M, is not guaranteed now, but will be guaranteed if he is on the roster when the season begins.

The notion of an extension for Jones is only another of Chinook’s little forays into feeble mindedness. The Spurs are rebuilding. The only basis for giving any of the players an extension, now, is if it would somehow facilitate trading them. That is not the case with Jones.

If a player had performed well on a sixty-win team, that would be a fact of major significance. But performing well, in a backup role, on a 34-win team is meaningless for what the Spurs are doing.

The Spurs are better off, at this time, with a bad backup guard, not a good one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Quite a bit of assumption that Primo will in fact take off in here, even if not next year. I very much doubt he ever takes off IF he's pigeonholed into the PG role. I think he has a bright future as a wing, assuming he is actually utilized there and his shot redesign takes form.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tre
    Vassell
    Doug
    Keldon
    Poeltl

Primo
    Richardson
    Diop
    Sochan
    Zollins

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think they should commit to Primo as Spurs starting PG from day 1, and avoid any future DJ/White scenario:

Primo, Vassell, Keldon, Sochan, Poeltl
    Tre, Brahnam, J-Rich, McD, Zollins

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think they should commit to Primo as Spurs starting PG from day 1, and avoid any future DJ/White scenario:

Primo, Vassell, Keldon, Sochan, Poeltl
    Tre, Brahnam, J-Rich, McD, Zollins
    Damn, that's not that bad of a rotation. Spurs need to trade Poeltl, Richardson and McDermott as soon as possible.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, that's not that bad of a rotation. Spurs need to trade Poeltl, Richardson and McDermott as soon as possible.
    The only primary ball handler/creator is a small guard who can't/won't shoot 3s, three of the players are entirely unproven and the best player is merely a solid starter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Romeo Langford probs gets a chance now just saying.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see why folks are so high on Vassell as a starting SG or SF. 36% puts him at NUMBER 89 in the league on 3 pt average. If these rookies don't come through with some better shooting than that, we are probably slated to have one of the weakest offensive teams in the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see why folks are so high on Vassell as a starting SG or SF. 36% puts him at NUMBER 89 in the league on 3 pt average. If these rookies don't come through with some better shooting than that, we are probably slated to have one of the weakest offensive teams in the league.
    We absolutely will which is great.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only primary ball handler/creator is a small guard who can't/won't shoot 3s, three of the players are entirely unproven and the best player is merely a solid starter.
    That still won't get us a bottom 3 record. We need to trade Poeltl and Richardson ASAP.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep with poodle and jrich on the team we will win more than we would like

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because it isn't all about %, Vassell is probably our second best defensive player, behind Poeltl.

Thread Information