Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blake was way ahead of Dejounte on their rookie year.
    I didn’t see that. But as my post said there are caveats to consider

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said at one point during the season that Blake Wesley was already better in year 1 than Lonnie Walker was in his last season with SA and yeah I had to walk that back admittedly but I still kinda stand by it. Walker feasts when Lebron pulled focus away but was worthless to a Spurs team without those distractions imo and even with the optimal system Walker just seems like a basic player. Wes has that certain pop about him.

Wesley would be my pick if I could choose between the two still but it's all in the potential which I really believe in.

Blake Wesley is one to watch next season as others have said and I could see that being true. Blake has all the ingredients but can he put it all together? I feel like Blake Wesley turns a corner next season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's funny just realized I "believed in" Walker IV too as did many here during that last season of his and Walker never really turned that corner for us it seems so here we go again I guess lol

my heart will go on lol

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wemby won't play in the G-League. Are you talking about summer league? Wemby probably plays 1 game there.
    Why wouldn't he play in summer league? Duncan played in summer league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know if that's a reason for him to play. Anyway, his season has still not ended. Let him recover.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As for Wesley, can we break down his actual issues?

Defense: He looks like a good defender, with the quickness and anticipation to stay in front of his man and quick-handed enough to be trouble. Help-wise is less clear, but he seems to be okay there, too. He's a bit undersize, so will probably have to cover point-of-attack guards and play PG. Might be able to do some SGs.

Playmaking: A bit incomplete, but shows promise. Positive AST/TO ratio, knows where his guys are supposed to be. Able vision kicking-out from drives.

Shooting: Small sample size, but he was a good spot-up shooter. His percentages weren't that great in college, but his shot selection was super erratic. If he can hit those spot-up threes, it's all a different story for him.

Major Issue: He gets the swatted out of him whenever he drives to the hoop. He has little vertical pop. He glides forward into tree limbs with nothing else to do. Lots of embarrassing swats. Even when he doesn't get swatted, his touch around the rim was terrible.

Now, this is only one issue. It's a very big one, and he probably has some small ones, but his swing issue is whether he can solve this problem. To me, his ceiling looks to be a role-player. I don't think we're seeing a star here, I don't know if we're seeing a long-time Spur, but this may be a guy who can stick in the league and do perfectly alright with his career. It all depends on upping his efficiency. And that depends in large part on what happens on his drives.

Because... silver lining... he gets to the rim to get swatted due to getting past his man so often. The blow-by is no issue. That's great. One analyst pointed out that he takes off the ground too early, meaning his momentum is taken in gliding - at low-level - to the rim and, of course, there's nowhere else to go once he's committed. If he takes another dribble and expends more energy actually going north, that can help. Or he can develop a floater. Or develop pull-up jumpers. The paint is already his: the problem is trying to yam it, which ain't gonna happen.

It's everything in between the three-point line and the rim that he needs to figure out. Slow down after that blow-by. Quickly assess the landscape. See the kick-outs, dump-downs, the floaters, or the stop-and-pops. His tendency is to ignite the jump and there's nothing he can do. If he extends his options, works on using the window, the angles, then he's much better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know if that's a reason for him to play. Anyway, his season has still not ended. Let him recover.
    That makes sense. Certainly no need to play him every game. He's going to arrive in game shape. Might as well see what he can do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As for Wesley, can we break down his actual issues?

Defense: He looks like a good defender, with the quickness and anticipation to stay in front of his man and quick-handed enough to be trouble. Help-wise is less clear, but he seems to be okay there, too. He's a bit undersize, so will probably have to cover point-of-attack guards and play PG. Might be able to do some SGs.

Playmaking: A bit incomplete, but shows promise. Positive AST/TO ratio, knows where his guys are supposed to be. Able vision kicking-out from drives.

Shooting: Small sample size, but he was a good spot-up shooter. His percentages weren't that great in college, but his shot selection was super erratic. If he can hit those spot-up threes, it's all a different story for him.

Major Issue: He gets the swatted out of him whenever he drives to the hoop. He has little vertical pop. He glides forward into tree limbs with nothing else to do. Lots of embarrassing swats. Even when he doesn't get swatted, his touch around the rim was terrible.

Now, this is only one issue. It's a very big one, and he probably has some small ones, but his swing issue is whether he can solve this problem. To me, his ceiling looks to be a role-player. I don't think we're seeing a star here, I don't know if we're seeing a long-time Spur, but this may be a guy who can stick in the league and do perfectly alright with his career. It all depends on upping his efficiency. And that depends in large part on what happens on his drives.

Because... silver lining... he gets to the rim to get swatted due to getting past his man so often. The blow-by is no issue. That's great. One analyst pointed out that he takes off the ground too early, meaning his momentum is taken in gliding - at low-level - to the rim and, of course, there's nowhere else to go once he's committed. If he takes another dribble and expends more energy actually going north, that can help. Or he can develop a floater. Or develop pull-up jumpers. The paint is already his: the problem is trying to yam it, which ain't gonna happen.

It's everything in between the three-point line and the rim that he needs to figure out. Slow down after that blow-by. Quickly assess the landscape. See the kick-outs, dump-downs, the floaters, or the stop-and-pops. His tendency is to ignite the jump and there's nothing he can do. If he extends his options, works on using the window, the angles, then he's much better.
    I agree on all points. He seems to have the vision and the willingness to hit open teammates, and that first step breaks down so many defenses. Teaching him the part between blowing by the defender and getting his stuffed is the key, but I really think coaching will be able to fix it. If he shows up this year with a reliable three it shrinks his time line down significantly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said at one point during the season that Blake Wesley was already better in year 1 than Lonnie Walker was in his last season with SA and yeah I had to walk that back admittedly but I still kinda stand by it. Walker feasts when Lebron pulled focus away but was worthless to a Spurs team without those distractions imo and even with the optimal system Walker just seems like a basic player. Wes has that certain pop about him.

Wesley would be my pick if I could choose between the two still but it's all in the potential which I really believe in.

Blake Wesley is one to watch next season as others have said and I could see that being true. Blake has all the ingredients but can he put it all together? I feel like Blake Wesley turns a corner next season.
    Lonnie is strictly a jump shooter, and he is timid and streaky. I don't remember him going into the paint with authority unless there was no defender near him. He pulled up for weak layups more often than most of us would like.

Prior to his injury, Blake was playing very well. If he can start the season at at least that level, he is ahead of Lonnie.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He will likely play for France in August, so there is some uncertainty about load management will be handled early on.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He still got the world cup after the French League playoffs, maybe he plays 1 or 2 games. I just don't see the point for a player like him who still has a lot of games left before camp.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah you guys are right. SL is gonna be his only chance to rest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's funny just realized I "believed in" Walker IV too as did many here during that last season of his and Walker never really turned that corner for us it seems so here we go again I guess lol

my heart will go on lol
    There's always a part of wishful thinking in beliiving in a player also because he happens tp play for your team. You hope or want him to succeed as much as you beleive it...

My issue with Wesley is that we're not talking about something that should be fixed (his uncapicity to finish) but something that should be litterally created since he showed he just can't do it for now at that level... So that's the question, can he do it? Does he have that in him?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie main problem was a lack of defensive awareness he had no clue where to be and what to do on the defensive side. As far as Wesley he is light years in front of Lonnie on that side of the ball and I honestly think he likes to play defense which is refreshing in this day and age.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie main problem was a lack of defensive awareness he had no clue where to be and what to do on the defensive side. As far as Wesley he is light years in front of Lonnie on that side of the ball and I honestly think he likes to play defense which is refreshing in this day and age.
    Wesley grew up with Jaden Ivey in South Bend. They used to defend each other going full blast up and down an empty court. You can see the results of that in regards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hoping to see big things out of this kid from South Bend tonight.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really liked his defensive hustle and speed with the ball last game, looking forward to see what he does tonight.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone also realize that the slower his ascension would be, the more cap friendly his extension will be? Here’s hoping he shows his upside closer to the end of his contract….

it’s probably too late for Branham if Branham continues his trajectory. Branham might get the Vassell deal if he keeps it up. I think he’s farther along than Vassell was, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blake has shown no sign of fading when it matters. Yeah, the three at the end of the last game wasn't the best, but he was open, and he didn't hesitate. He is utterly fearless, which makes him the polar opposite of Lonnie.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone also realize that the slower his ascension would be, the more cap friendly his extension will be? Here’s hoping he shows his upside closer to the end of his contract….

it’s probably too late for Branham if Branham continues his trajectory. Branham might get the Vassell deal if he keeps it up. I think he’s farther along than Vassell was, tbh
    at this rate, with the war chest of draft picks, he may not get extended.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at this rate, with the war chest of draft picks, he may not get extended.
    Has nothing to do with the trove of draft picks. We knew he was blazing fast when we drafted him. He has to shown something more to get another contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wesley will be fine. I don’t remember DJM much better at that age. DJM was always picked when he dribbled in traffic, couldn’t shoot and never attempted to take it strong in the rim. All of those Wesley does better now at that age. But like Wesley, DJM was a gym rat. I am not worried about Wesley.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wesley will be fine. I don’t remember DJM much better at that age. DJM was always picked when he dribbled in traffic, couldn’t shoot and never attempted to take it strong in the rim. All of those Wesley does better now at that age. But like Wesley, DJM was a gym rat. I am not worried about Wesley.
    Every player isn’t guaranteed to have the same developmental path as dejounte

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Every player isn’t guaranteed to have the same developmental path as dejounte
    That’s not what I’m saying though. People are overly critical of Wesley, Dejounte was worst at that age.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blake will need some time to learn how to become a pg / secondary facilitator ( decision making is lower tier ). I can tell his handle is better than last year but he must dribble with purpose and develop a floater. You can tell the kid cares but he must understand the gravity of the roster situation.

Thread Information