Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You’re right about two years. But whatever the underlying cause, he was cut because he wasn’t playing well enough or showing the improvement and growth they needed to see

assuming birch is the cut, next year the spurs will have Collins, Osman, McDermott, and Graham (most likely) off their books. They will also have at least 2 first round picks coming in. If they want to say, re-sign Collins and add FA help, you might be seeing another roster crunch.

i don’t believe Wesley gets cut this year but i don’t think it can be taken for granted that he will be on the roster to start next season and that he’s simply going to be granted a second redshirt year. He’s going to have to play into that spot.
    I don't have a problem with that, but I do have a problem with cutting a guy with gobs of remaining upside after his rookie year, especially with our development staff. That's not enough of a look.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't have a problem with that, but I do have a problem with cutting a guy with gobs of remaining upside after his rookie year, especially with our development staff. That's not enough of a look.
    im not sure anybody here thinks he should be cut ahead of birch. i think theres just a growing pessimism about him reaching the potential we all fawned over when he was drafted

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    im not sure anybody here thinks he should be cut ahead of birch. i think theres just a growing pessimism about him reaching the potential we all fawned over when he was drafted
    He was drafted #25. A good outcome would BE Cory Joseph. Not sure what people were expecting. To think we could have a 3rd non-lottery FRP hit their 99% development curve like Tony and Kawhi is unrealistic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The question in my mind is whether he has enough skills > deficiencies at this point to warrant keeping him on the big club or whether he would be better off developing in Austin. Is there anyone on the team at this point who can challenge him for a rotation spot?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wesley is one of the better one-on-one defender of this team. He plays that part with gusto. Anybody think Pop would cut a guy playing good defense??

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wesley is one of the better one-on-one defender of this team. He plays that part with gusto. Anybody think Pop would cut a guy playing good defense??
    Bryn Forbes started 81 games in a season

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bryn Forbes started 81 games in a season
    Forbes was trying to fix a mid-range infatuatef Demar with knockdown shooters to catch-up with NBA scoring in the 130’s. I’m glad that’s over.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was drafted #25. A good outcome would BE Cory Joseph. Not sure what people were expecting. To think we could have a 3rd non-lottery FRP hit their 99% development curve like Tony and Kawhi is unrealistic.
    Nope. He wasn't drafted for position, he was a home run swing. That means the Spurs were hoping he would develop into a superstar. The biggest concern for me is that a developing superstar does something jaw-dropping once in a while. Wesley has nothing. Now we are reduced to hoping he is good enough to carve out a career as a backup.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You’re right about two years. But whatever the underlying cause, he was cut because he wasn’t playing well enough or showing the improvement and growth they needed to see
    Nope. He was cut because he turned the ball over and gave up the layup. Talent with no work ethic kills a team and goes against everything the Spurs preach. That one moment sealed his fate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it'd be a big shock to me if the spurs actually thought wesley could eventually become a superstar. they didn't even think that about Tony when they drafted him.
    Last edited by rjv; 10-18-2023 at 03:59 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope. He wasn't drafted for position, he was a home run swing. That means the Spurs were hoping he would develop into a superstar. The biggest concern for me is that a developing superstar does something jaw-dropping once in a while. Wesley has nothing. Now we are reduced to hoping he is good enough to carve out a career as a backup.
    I don't know how you get that from drafting someone at #25, but you do you. If more people share this view, it would explain a lot of the hating on Blake Wesley.

IMO, drafting at 25 is never a homerun swing, it's a crap shoot 100% of the time. You hope to get an NBA player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Blake gets in his head, maybe reads too much about himself on the internet or something. Hope he figures it out though

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We wouldn't be having this conversation if they had traded the #25 pick (Wesley) and signed Cory Joseph. Granted he would not be on the current spurs timeline, but Joseph offers much more than Wesley (other than age). GS was smart to sign Joseph, a backup player who only gets spot minutes, but doesn't hurt you team. If he manages to stay on the team isn't that what we want Wesley to be ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I'm completely puzzled at the thought that Wesley was some kind of home run swing. He's firmly in the tradition of Kyle Anderson/Dejounte Murray/Keldon Johnson, late picks who needed a lot of development.

Seems that with these late draft picks the Spurs tend to pick players with one or two superior skills and work to advance the rest. Blake has uncommon speed and defensive potential. Sidy is a really nice passer and has defensive potential.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know how you get that from drafting someone at #25, but you do you. If more people share this view, it would explain a lot of the hating on Blake Wesley.

IMO, drafting at 25 is never a homerun swing, it's a crap shoot 100% of the time. You hope to get an NBA player.
    Well, I watched the draft. I read the scouting reports. I knew the Spurs' depth chart and their positions of need. I also understand what floor and ceiling mean when evaluating talent.

Wesley was scouted as a young kid with superstar upside. The Spurs didn't need yet another undersized swing player but Wesley's first step is world class and they thought it was worth the draft pick to swing for a guy who might turn into Jimmy Butler. The talent evaluators on draft night explained the pick this way as well. This is not anything different than what everyone said about him. The Spurs did not have need for a short shooting guard who can't hit free throws to become a fringe rotation player.

But you do you.

Lol hating. What a stupid word.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it'd be a big shock to me if the spurs actually thought wesley could eventually become a superstar. they didn't even think that about Tony when they drafted him.
    It's the only reason they picked him. Take a flyer on a deer or trade the pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Wesley, or want to like Wesley, but I hate his horrible layups that never go in. He gets all the way to the hoop just to rim check or bounce off the backboard over and over again. It's frustrating.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't believe that there are people who are serious about bailing on a 20 year old, long armed, athletic, willing defender who has all of 1/2 of an injury-plagued season under his belt. Especially on a team that is balls deep into a rebuild trying to figure out which of its many young prospects are long term keepers. Granted, he's looked raw as and generally pretty crappy, but give the kid half a chance to play himself into or out of the league before pulling the plug. He is going to essentially make that decision for the Spurs, not the other way around. But he at least needs enough time for them to properly evaluate him. It's not like he's taking up a roster spot from someone that is going to make or break this team's championship aspirations this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    trading a first for cojo bro i cant lmfao

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, I watched the draft. I read the scouting reports. I knew the Spurs' depth chart and their positions of need. I also understand what floor and ceiling mean when evaluating talent.

Wesley was scouted as a young kid with superstar upside. The Spurs didn't need yet another undersized swing player but Wesley's first step is world class and they thought it was worth the draft pick to swing for a guy who might turn into Jimmy Butler. The talent evaluators on draft night explained the pick this way as well. This is not anything different than what everyone said about him. The Spurs did not have need for a short shooting guard who can't hit free throws to become a fringe rotation player.

But you do you.

Lol hating. What a stupid word.
    None of that has to do with how the Spurs came to the decision to draft him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I liked Wes...but to be honest he should have not been with the big club he should have been full time in G League last year - He has the talent he is just so raw he needs a lot of work on his game - I think I would even prefer for him and Sidy both to stay and work on their game in the G League this season.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wesley being some homerun swing? Don't buy it.

If he was raw but a special athlete maybe, but he's not. He's fast but can't jump and has bad touch. Can't get vertical, x-axis only. Calculated risk more than homerun swing

If the Spurs thought he had superstar potential I'm not surprised, they thought Primo had it too. Primo who was one of the slowest most groundbound players in the league. Wesley at least gets to the rim and fails, Primo struggled to even get to the nail.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are about 4 people currently on the team that I still want on the team in in the next couple of years. Wesley ain’t one of them. I will give up on him. I have no problem making bold claims and sounding “stupid.” There are plenty of explosive guards that can’t finish and can’t shoot are young that come into the league every year. Most of them don’t pan out. No big deal if Wesley doesn’t. I’d rather just move on from him in 2 years when he proves absolutely nothing with his play.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fact is, nobody in the starting lineup can attack the basket besides maaaaybe Vic.

BW still has an opportunity over this long season. We'll find ourselves just trying him one day in some odd third quarter. He needs to be ready for that moment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fact is, nobody in the starting lineup can attack the basket besides maaaaybe Vic.

BW still has an opportunity over this long season. We'll find ourselves just trying him one day in some odd third quarter. He needs to be ready for that moment.
    Agree, but Wesley has shown no improvement once he gets past his man. He can't hit an open man, he can't draw fouls, and he can't score. On the rare occasion he draws a foul, he misses free throws.

Thread Information