Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree, but Wesley has shown no improvement once he gets past his man. He can't hit an open man, he can't draw fouls, and he can't score. On the rare occasion he draws a foul, he misses free throws.
    I get that it's a piss-and-moan fest in here, but c'mon, let's be vaguely accurate. He had three assists tonight in eight minutes. He does hit open guys. Commence the existential anguish.

Get Paycheck, Get Drunk HankChinaski's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hard to stay hyped on this cat. Has the speed to be lethal but his brain can't keep up with him physically.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I find it so odd that people are shocked folks aren't big on Wesley. This has been a thing people have been talking about for months. I get not agreeing with it, but it's not weird. It should be extremely well worn at this point.

Wesley seems pretty safe to me at this point in the season. The team putting Sochan at PG definitely gives them more freedom to make a move at the position, but we aren't seeing any compe ion for his spot right now. Of course, we'll have to see if the Spurs pick up Blake's option along with Branham and Sochan. If they don't, the odds of Wesley being a Spur all season go down dramatically. Even if they do, Wesley should be one of the players most likely to be in a trade after the obvious options. As I've said a million times, the Spurs no longer have to scared into keeping guys because of their upside. They have too many prospects and too many picks to worry about that. It's very possible that there are guards sitting in the d-league or on deep benches that are going to be better than Blake will. The team's not really hurting for options. Wes currently has an expiring contract. The team doesn't have to be married to him.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree, but Wesley has shown no improvement once he gets past his man. He can't hit an open man, he can't draw fouls, and he can't score. On the rare occasion he draws a foul, he misses free throws.
    You're not wrong about the shooting. I do still want to give it a little more time and see if something clicks. And he's probably a top 3 defender on the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blake good once he slows the game down

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're not wrong about the shooting. I do still want to give it a little more time and see if something clicks. And he's probably a top 3 defender on the team.
    He's gonna make the roster this year for sure, but he's closer to being last on the roster than any of us would have hoped. I'm definitely rooting for him when he's on the court.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope. Lacks bbiq / feel for the position

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah so if Tre has that backup point spot, there really is no room for this guy

our pipeline at point looks good: Sochan/ Tre/ Rice
    SG: Vassell/ Branham
    SF: Keldon/ Cedi/ Sidy
    PF: Wemby/ McDermott/ Barlow
    C: Collins/ Bassey/ Mamu

just looking at this it looks like our weakest development pipeline is between sf/pf so I hope we draft that next year or get a nice free agent who could improve it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree. He is much composed from last year tazmanian devil.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    but we need a pg who plays fast and makes shots....thats todays nba..Adapt or die

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree. He is much composed from last year tazmanian devil.
    He was drafted for his speed. It was his only plus skill.

He hasn't developed a floater. He doesn't draw fouls. He doesn't penetrate and kick. He doesn't lob it to the front of the rim. This is not just lack of development, it's EXTREME lack of development. And judging by his free throws, his shooting isn't any better.

He has made some effort on defense but he and the team were coached not to play D last year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Sochan is our future starting PG going forward then we are ed. Dude is not a PG and it’s actually a pretty ing important position. Our pipeline for PG is really ty. Our pipeline for a point forward might me good but Sochan is still a forward. We don’t need to do anything with Wesley this year but we have like 15 picks in the next 5 years and just by sheer volume his place on the team is in jeopardy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Sochan is our future starting PG going forward then we are ed. Dude is not a PG and it’s actually a pretty ing important position. Our pipeline for PG is really ty. Our pipeline for a point forward might me good but Sochan is still a forward. We don’t need to do anything with Wesley this year but we have like 15 picks in the next 5 years and just by sheer volume his place on the team is in jeopardy.
    Tell me the last time the Spurs had a ball dominant traditional PG.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    William Anthony Parker, Jr.

id even say last year of dejounte being here qualifies when the offense stopped running through derozan

but ill await your specific definition of ball dominant traditional PG

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    William Anthony Parker, Jr.

id even say last year of dejounte being here qualifies when the offense stopped running through derozan

but ill await your specific definition of ball dominant traditional PG
    Avery Johnson.

Even Tony admitted that he was on the middle of the spectrum, where Pop put him, halfway between Iverson and John Stockton, a scoring hybrid.

Dejounte could barely manage anything besides a simple dump pass on a pick and roll. If anyone paved the road for Sochan, it was Dejounte, who literally played SF his rookie season to get on the floor. Or, DeRozan, who played PF, but initiated the offense. This isn't new territory.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Avery Johnson.

Even Tony admitted that he was on the middle of the spectrum, where Pop put him, halfway between Iverson and John Stockton, a scoring hybrid.

Dejounte could barely manage anything besides a simple dump pass on a pick and roll. If anyone paved the road for Sochan, it was Dejounte, who literally played SF his rookie season to get on the floor. Or, DeRozan, who played PF, but initiated the offense. This isn't new territory.
    tbh i was expecting some unreasonably specific definition of traditional point guard but you managed to be even more absurd than i'd have guessed

how about giving some parameters when trying to define what a traditional point guard is?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tony Parker was not a traditional point guard. AJ was the most traditional point guard the Spurs have had since Rod Strickland, and the only one who was on the team in his prime.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who tf cares about traditional PG. Tony was still a HOF PG. He led the Spurs for damn near 20 years as a PG. He ran the offense amazingly well and set people up all the time and was personally responsible for so many damn hockey assists that they should change the name to the Parker assist. If Sochan could play like that then I wouldn’t be so worried about our lack of a PG.
    DJ turned into (albeit I didn’t see it coming) a much better PG than I ever saw him being, after about 5 years but if we take 5 years to turn Sochan into a DJ then we are still ed. Idk how long Wemby will play but I give him about a decade before injuries mount up. And if we waste half of it on Sochan I will tear my hair out. Sochan has so much in his game that he needs to fix that I don’t want him to be our PG.

imo this is a bad decision by Pop in his upbringing as a pro. Sochan needs to worry about D and rebounding, and hitting open 3s. Then you can add some playmaking as a secondary play maker. We rushed all the way to him being our primary ball handler. Why? For what reason? Makes zero sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You want Sochan to play like Parker? Nobody in NBA history plays like Parker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's a huge, huge gap between "This guy isn't a traditional point guard" and "This guy isn't a point guard". Like no one is arguing the first point, but multiple times folks have tried to subs ute it is for the second point. Arguing if Wesley is a "true point-guard" is a substantially different thing than arguing whether Sochan is a PG at all. It would be like if people were debating if Keldon Johnson were a power-forward, and someone saying, "The Spurs haven't had a traditional power-forward since Tim Duncan." Who gives a ? That's an entirely different conversation.

No, Sochan isn't Parker and no matter what position he plays he shouldn't be expected to be Parker. But that doesn't mean folks shouldn't believe the team would be well served to have a guy in the mold of Johnson, Parker, Irving or Holiday rather than having the lineup of Sochan, two wings and two bigs. It's okay to disagree with that -- Pop seems to be in that camp right now. We'll all see how it goes. But I don't get why folks keep trying to pull this bait and switch on this discussion.

In general, I do worry the discussion around Wesley is becoming too polarizing. I do think the Spurs could've done things over the summer that would lead to Blake being cut or trade -- and I do think the Spurs should be scouting PG prospects pretty heavily this season and/or look to see if there are any high-impact vet PGs they can snag. But Blake's on the team now, I hope he does well and all that jazz. Hope he shows some good development and takes advantage of whatever minutes he gets with the big club.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    is the argument that sochan is closer to a "traditional point guard" than parker was (whatever your arbitrary definition of traditional point guard is)? because even if i considered the quintessential "traditional" point guard to be john stockton, parker way closer to that than sochan is

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sometimes picks in the late 20s turn into Derrick, DJM, or Keldon. Sometimes they turn into a player who gets a shot for a couple years and you just move on. It happens. (Notably, Blake is the only #25 pick we've ever had. We've had really great success at 28 and 29, but 24-26 is a little iffy with only George Hill making it out of that group), we've never had a Pick 27, and our only pick 30 was Kyle Anderson).

Given the success rate of late FRPs, I'd argue that they are all homerun swings. If you get a serviceable NBA player (Beno, Cory Joseph, Cory Alexander, SloMo), that's a home run. If you get a Parker, Splitter, DJM, Derrick, Keldon its a grand slam.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    is the argument that sochan is closer to a "traditional point guard" than parker was (whatever your arbitrary definition of traditional point guard is)? because even if i considered the quintessential "traditional" point guard to be john stockton, parker way closer to that than sochan is
    My argument is that the Spurs have never since ~1991 had a prototypical point guard in his prime. So the idea that Sochan is not a prototypical point guard is not the disaster many of you make it out to be. They made it work with Parker's unique skills. Why can't they make it work with Sochan's?

This team has a chance to do amazing things on defense and in transition with their five best players starting. They have speed, size, long arms, hustle, and what may be the greatest developing secret weapon in the modern history of the sport.

Believe.
    Post Count
    There's a huge, huge gap between "This guy isn't a traditional point guard" and "This guy isn't a point guard". Like no one is arguing the first point, but multiple times folks have tried to subs ute it is for the second point. Arguing if Wesley is a "true point-guard" is a substantially different thing than arguing whether Sochan is a PG at all. It would be like if people were debating if Keldon Johnson were a power-forward, and someone saying, "The Spurs haven't had a traditional power-forward since Tim Duncan." Who gives a ? That's an entirely different conversation.

No, Sochan isn't Parker and no matter what position he plays he shouldn't be expected to be Parker. But that doesn't mean folks shouldn't believe the team would be well served to have a guy in the mold of Johnson, Parker, Irving or Holiday rather than having the lineup of Sochan, two wings and two bigs. It's okay to disagree with that -- Pop seems to be in that camp right now. We'll all see how it goes. But I don't get why folks keep trying to pull this bait and switch on this discussion.

In general, I do worry the discussion around Wesley is becoming too polarizing. I do think the Spurs could've done things over the summer that would lead to Blake being cut or trade -- and I do think the Spurs should be scouting PG prospects pretty heavily this season and/or look to see if there are any high-impact vet PGs they can snag. But Blake's on the team now, I hope he does well and all that jazz. Hope he shows some good development and takes advantage of whatever minutes he gets with the big club.
    Right on man. I think there’s a good chance that a high quality pg becomes available before the trade deadline. But for now this a great chance for Sochan to grow as a player so I don’t mind it. As long as Wemby doesn’t start to get frustrated I guess. If they really struggle over the first ten games, might want to do that trade a little earlier.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My argument is that the Spurs have never since ~1991 had a prototypical point guard in his prime. So the idea that Sochan is not a prototypical point guard is not the disaster many of you make it out to be. They made it work with Parker's unique skills. Why can't they make it work with Sochan's?

This team has a chance to do amazing things on defense and in transition with their five best players starting. They have speed, size, long arms, hustle, and what may be the greatest developing secret weapon in the modern history of the sport.
    Why don’t we just play Bassey at point and then rationalize it by saying well we’ve never had a prototypical point guard anyway

Thread Information