Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So I’ve been wrestling with what positional designator I should assign to Wesley

there’s
    G = ball handling capabilities with facilitating skills, can guard 1’s and 2’s only. Basically, this is Murray or Tre.

G/W = same as G, but can also either defend 3’s or has offball shooting skills. Basically Primo.

W = defends 2’s and 3’s and has offball shooting skills. No facilitating skills. Usually not quick enough to guard 1’s for long periods. Basically Vassell or JRich.

watching lots of footage of Blake and it looks like he primarily defends 1’s and 2’s. My su ion of why he exclusively only defends those two positions is due to his thin frame - same reason DJ rarely matched up with 3’s. Before anyone says Wesley can bulk up— well, DJ had many years to bulk up if the team wanted him to expand his versatility on defense but he didn’t. Sometimes you’re limited to what your frame is.

Wesley is not utilized much as an offball shooter.

so my conclusion is his designator is a G alongside Tre Jones.

G - Tre Jones
    G - Blake Wesley
    G/W - Josh Primo
    G/W - Kyler Edwards (X-10)
    W - Vassell
    W - Josh Richardson
    W - Malaki Branham
    W - Wieskamp
    W - Romeo Langford
    F - Keldon Johnson
    F - McDermott
    F - Dominick Barlow (2W)
    F/C - Jeremy Sochan
    F/C - KBD
    F/C - Cacok
    C - Poeltl
    C - Z. Collins

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Judging from the depth behind each position and who I think the Spurs see as the future under the W position (Vassell, Branham, Wieskamp). I think JRich and Langford are the odd men out and should be consolidated out (along with Poeltl for added trade value) to get another G and have the team commit to playing our F/C guys (Sochan, KBD, Cacok) as the C in lineups. Those lineups were quite effective last year when KBD was playing C. I’m not saying it as a full time thing. But whenever the opposing team plays small, which is quite frequent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vassell is also a SG/W
    Richardson is a SG/W
    Malaki with his quickness could probably fit at SG some at 6'5" but is probably a W
    Keldon is a W, but obviously being played as F. He certainly fits better as a W.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vassell is also a SG/W
    Richardson is a SG/W
    Malaki with his quickness could probably fit at SG some at 6'5" but is probably a W
    Keldon is a W, but obviously being played as F. He certainly fits better as a W.
    Maybe I should clarify my terms here because youre basically saying the same thing

my W means 2 and 3. It doesnt mean just the 3.

when I say Keldon is a F, it means he’s a 3 and 4. He doesn’t have the foot speed to match up with 2’s. Before anybody freaks about Keldon being called a 4, I do think he will spend less time there next season and more time at the 3.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe I should clarify my terms here because youre basically saying the same thing

my W means 2 and 3. It doesnt mean just the 3.

when I say Keldon is a F, it means he’s a 3 and 4. He doesn’t have the foot speed to match up with 2’s. Before anybody freaks about Keldon being called a 4, I do think he will spend less time there next season and more time at the 3.
    Ah, then we're on the same page. well done

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    G - 1/2
    W - 2/3
    F - 3/4
    C - 5 (hence why players with strictly this designator are very limiting to today’s idea of versatility)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^If the team really is going to tank Blake may be seeing more time with the big squad rather than the Austin Spurs.
    None of our draft picks should even sniff Austin this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed. My reaction was after the Murray trade, when initially drafted, some speculation was Wesley needed the most development of the three picks and would be in Austin most of the season. Now, he should be running with the big squad.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So I’ve been wrestling with what positional designator I should assign to Wesley

there’s
    G = ball handling capabilities with facilitating skills, can guard 1’s and 2’s only. Basically, this is Murray or Tre.

G/W = same as G, but can also either defend 3’s or has offball shooting skills. Basically Primo.

W = defends 2’s and 3’s and has offball shooting skills. No facilitating skills. Usually not quick enough to guard 1’s for long periods. Basically Vassell or JRich.

watching lots of footage of Blake and it looks like he primarily defends 1’s and 2’s. My su ion of why he exclusively only defends those two positions is due to his thin frame - same reason DJ rarely matched up with 3’s. Before anyone says Wesley can bulk up— well, DJ had many years to bulk up if the team wanted him to expand his versatility on defense but he didn’t. Sometimes you’re limited to what your frame is.

G - Tre Jones
    G - Blake Wesley
    G/W - Josh Primo
    W - Vassell
    W - Josh Richardson
    W - Malaki Branham
    W - Wieskamp
    W - Romeo Langford
    F - Keldon Johnson
    F - McDermott
    F - Dominick Barlow (2W)
    F/C - Jeremy Sochan
    F/C - KBD
    F/C - Cacok
    C - Poeltl
    C - Z. Collins
    Based on this classification, I'd go: Richardson and Branham as G/W, Barlow as F/C, Sochan and Bates-Diop as F and Cacok as C/F.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed. My reaction was after the Murray trade, when initially drafted, some speculation was Wesley needed the most development of the three picks and would be in Austin most of the season. Now, he should be running with the big squad.
    Only so many minutes to go around though. What is better for a young player.....12MPG off the bench in SA, or 30MPG as a starter in Austin?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Based on this classification, I'd go: Richardson and Branham as G/W, Barlow as F/C, Sochan and Bates-Diop as F and Cacok as C/F.
    adding “G” to JRich and Branham means they can/will either 1) spend more than average time ball handling and facilitating or 2) spend more than average time defending the quickest guards (usually the point guard) in the league

This is what you see those two doing? Not arguing, just want to make sure there’s no misunderstanding.

Barlow - fair enough. I was going back and forth myself in another thread on if he will play any C. On offense, he’s basically a catch and shoot player and not one that operates in the post. On defense, I’m not sure.

Sochan and KBD - I didn’t really define the classification for C so you might have your justification for not labeling them as such. Regardless, you don’t see them playing any small ball C when the situation demands it? That’s basically my logic behind the PF/C. Like, Keldon has been rarely used as the 5 on the floor but we’ve seen KBD do it even if one argues that he shouldn’t.

Cacok - I understand why you flipped it, but we’re on the same page here.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    adding “G” to JRich and Branham means they can/will either 1) spend more than average time ball handling and facilitating or 2) spend more than average time defending the quickest guards (usually the point guard) in the league

This is what you see those two doing? Not arguing, just want to make sure there’s no misunderstanding.

Barlow - fair enough. I was going back and forth myself in another thread on if he will play any C. On offense, he’s basically a catch and shoot player and not one that operates in the post. On defense, I’m not sure.

Sochan and KBD - I didn’t really define the classification for C so you might have your justification for not labeling them as such. Regardless, you don’t see them playing any small ball C when the situation demands it? That’s basically my logic behind the PF/C. Like, Keldon has been rarely used as the 5 on the floor but we’ve seen KBD do it even if one argues that he shouldn’t.

Cacok - I understand why you flipped it, but we’re on the same page here.
    Yeah, but I also base it more on ideal role in the league in general than specific to team context.

Less certain on Barlow, just a hunch.

Sure, Sochan at the very least probably will, I just don't think he can do so credibly because of the lack of rim protection and defensive rebounding.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only so many minutes to go around though. What is better for a young player.....12MPG off the bench in SA, or 30MPG as a starter in Austin?
    No reason all of our rookies shouldn't be play 20+ mpg.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see Blake playing the least out of the rookies. I see him in Austin, getting the typical treatment.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see Blake playing the least out of the rookies. I see him in Austin, getting the typical treatment.
    If he's destroying people in practice, there is no reason for him to be in Austin. Just because he's young, that doesn't mean he has to play there. He can learn in the NBA better IMO.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey, I hope he plays on the big club, but it's hard for me to overlook years of precedence of rookies starting out in Austin. He's fairly raw. I have more faith in Branham getting early minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I disagree with this guys.

You want to send Wesley to Austin to give him experience as a dedicated primary. He (most likely), won’t get that opportunity with the big club right away. It also keeps the pipeline functioning from a developmental standpoint.

When Wright talked about the three rooks it was suggested that they were all on different developmental trajectories.
    He’s the rawest but I would argue also has the most upside long term. Give him as many reps as possible and then hopefully graduate to the Spurs once that season is complete.
    Also with Wesley’s supposed dogged tenacity, he may view the G League as a perceived slight, hopefully adding fuel to an already smouldering powder keg.

Austin is still very much a business and integral to the Spurs long term development. This extends to coaches as well, who need to have experience dealing with NBA calibre talent on the daily.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wesley is a domestic stash guy at least pre draft. But things can change in training camp and preseason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I originally thought this, but I think Wesley could benefit from the kind of treatment Primo got last year. First half of the season in Austin, with occasional call ups, closing out the season with some significant minutes with the big club. Branham should get more of a Vassell-like treatment, and Sochan should be a Day 1 starter, IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I disagree with this guys.

You want to send Wesley to Austin to give him experience as a dedicated primary. He (most likely), won’t get that opportunity with the big club right away. It also keeps the pipeline functioning from a developmental standpoint.

When Wright talked about the three rooks it was suggested that they were all on different developmental trajectories.
    He’s the rawest but I would argue also has the most upside long term. Give him as many reps as possible and then hopefully graduate to the Spurs once that season is complete.
    Also with Wesley’s supposed dogged tenacity, he may view the G League as a perceived slight, hopefully adding fuel to an already smouldering powder keg.

Austin is still very much a business and integral to the Spurs long term development. This extends to coaches as well, who need to have experience dealing with NBA calibre talent on the daily.
    I agree mostly, except to me Sochan will have the highest upsides because of his role on both sides of the court.

But I agree that Wesley could be a freak athletic scorer, again I hate to compare but to make it simple, Ja Morant type. He has that mentality and edge. That part both excites and worries me, because he is ultra-compe ive. I’m sure he’s the one they alluded to when they had to separate people in the workout. His interview says and without reservation, I was the best player in there! , that’s a-hole level confidence.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just to clarify the “a-hole type confidence.” I like it He feels he’s the best in the court. That’s alpha mentality and that’s special. And that “a-hole type” I normally associate with greats like Bird, Kobe, MJ, even TP to some degree. I admit I didn’t watch a lot of Wesley. I was fixated with Davis as an ultra-compe ive player I like the Spurs to have as a closer, which they are missing. But if anyone is going to make me move on, in Wesley would I don’t think this guy would hesitate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs draftee Blake Wesley: ‘I model my game after Jordan Poole and Caris LeVert’

Spurs draftee Blake Wesley: ‘I model my game after Jordan Poole and Caris LeVert’ (yahoo.com)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What a random combo of players to emulate

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

there’s

G - Tre Jones
    G - Blake Wesley
    G/W - Josh Primo
    W - Vassell
    W - Josh Richardson
    W - Malaki Branham
    W - Wieskamp
    W - Romeo Langford
    F - Keldon Johnson
    F - McDermott
    F - Dominick Barlow (2W)
    F/C - Jeremy Sochan
    F/C - KBD
    F/C - Cacok
    C - Poeltl
    C - Z. Collins
    I like it...my only change would be Barlow as F/C..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs draftee Blake Wesley: ‘I model my game after Jordan Poole and Caris LeVert’

Spurs draftee Blake Wesley: ‘I model my game after Jordan Poole and Caris LeVert’ (yahoo.com)
    he's not a culture fit. We have to trade him

Thread Information