Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks, timvp.

You answered the biggest question I had, the cherry on top question -- whether the Spurs would've take Procida at 38 (my hope was growing as it continued to look more possible until it didn't).

I'll be in Vegas in two weeks to see the Spurs first three games. This will be a fun team to watch (although I'm pretty sure most Spurs games will be at Cox Pavilion rather than the main stage as usual).

Can't wait to see Sharpe's coming out party (spare the jokes) for Portland as well!

Sunday the 10th they’re inside the main arena . Already got my tickets booked ��

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol. OKC never smokescreened about him. I posted like 2 months ago how one of their scouts went on record saying he was the steal of this draft. Multiple other teams were clearly very high on him, including PATFO, as timvp reported his intel said he was a possibility.

And what ended up happening is we took the BPA as Sochan was clearly higher on their board. But OKC gave up 3 backdoor FRPs for him. There was no smoke. Dieng is all fire.

I'm gonna love watching the ST narrative have to eat crow on him. And yall will get plenty of opportunities as we face him 4 times each year. He's gonna be good to great. Smoke ain't worth 3 FRPs.
    Bruh, when Sochan starts bullying Dieng in the paint, you’ll get your wits back. We got Sochan! Stop worrying about Dieng. Sochan is the best overall defensive player on this draft. Plus once they develop him as a Point Forward, put in another 25 muscles in that frame, Sochan will be a modern NBA big bully. While Dieng would still be tossing floaters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LeBron won’t be on the team in 2 years.
    He will be if they draft Bronny.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really interesting comments on Wesley, really big potential. I hope he will pan out in silver and black.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bruh, when Sochan starts bullying Dieng in the paint, you’ll get your wits back. We got Sochan! Stop worrying about Dieng. Sochan is the best overall defensive player on this draft. Plus once they develop him as a Point Forward, put in another 25 muscles in that frame, Sochan will be a modern NBA big bully. While Dieng would still be tossing floaters.
    You misunderstood. I am thrilled with Sochan. In order I wanted Murray & Mathurian (should they fall), Dieng, Daniels, Sochan. We only had an option of Dieng and Sochan by the time we drafted. I understand PATFO had Sochan higher on their board than I did. But I made it clear before the draft I'd be "estatic with Sochan."

So my post to which you responded wasn't shade on Sochan, unlike last year when I did have shade for PATFO for their Primo pick over Sengun.

This post was merely a defense of Dieng because he got thrashed on this board by a whole bunch of folks that did not watch a millisecond of his tape. And it irritates the out of me. He's gonna show out. And I hope he does to shove it down the ignorant throats of folks on this forum that unnecessarily and foolishly attacked him as a soft reach.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I liked Dieng he gave me some Duncan vibes watching his tape, but I am still happy with the draft and getting Sochan at 9 finally gives us a bully PF and someone over 6'5..lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks timvp for the write up! Best draft in the post Duncan era. I enjoyed last season way more than I expected, really excited for this one now. We saw 5 chips over Tim’s long career, the losses during that time hurt like crazy because the Spurs were always compe ive. This phase of fandom is different. The front office is grabbing talent. Looking forward to seeing a few of these guys rise to the challenge.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I only wish Pop would give these guys more slacks. Sometimes he’s trying to put a square peg in a round hole, curtailing the natural abilities and aggressiveness. Let Manu be Manu.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs Notes: Branham, Wesley, Walker, Sochan, Popovich

June 25th 2022 at 7:24pm CST by Arthur Hill

Malaki Branham and Blake Wesley impressed the Spurs so much with their compe iveness at a pre-draft workout that the team decided to take both players, writes Tom Orsborn of The San Antonio Express-News. The two guards were matched up against each other in a 3-on-3 scrimmage and both took advantage of the opportunity.

“I felt like we was competing for a spot, so I was going extra hard and going after him,” Wesley said of Branham. He also tried to outshine Duke’s Wendell Moore, who took part in the scrimmage as well, explaining, “They had a lot more hype than me, so I wanted to go at them.”

General manager Brian Wright said the Spurs expected Branham to be selected in the mid-teens or possibly late in the lottery and were prepared to trade up for him before he fell to No. 20.

“He’s smart, tough, compe ive and coachable, and those are all things we were looking to find in this draft,” Wright said.

There’s more from San Antonio:

• The addition of two guards casts doubt on the future of Lonnie Walker, who is headed for free agency, Orsborn adds in a separate story. The Spurs can make him restricted by extending a $6.3MM qualifying offer by Wednesday, but there may no longer be a role for him in San Antonio. “He has done a phenomenal job in his development over the years and we saw the consistency he brought, especially in the second half of the season when he really hit his stride,” Wright said. “At the appropriate time, we will sit with (his representatives) and him and try to find out what’s next for him and the franchise.”
    • Jeff McDonald of the San Antonio Express-News looks at the international background of lottery pick Jeremy Sochan, who had to learn basketball from his mother because there weren’t many accomplished coaches in the English town where the family lived when he was young. The organization is impressed by Sochan’s versatility and plans to use him all along the front line.
    • Coach Gregg Popovich called each of the Spurs’ draft picks Thursday night to welcome them to the team, McDonald tweets, adding that it’s a pretty clear indication that Popovich plans to return for another season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs Notes: Branham, Wesley, Walker, Sochan, Popovich

June 25th 2022 at 7:24pm CST by Arthur Hill

Malaki Branham and Blake Wesley impressed the Spurs so much with their compe iveness at a pre-draft workout that the team decided to take both players, writes Tom Orsborn of The San Antonio Express-News. The two guards were matched up against each other in a 3-on-3 scrimmage and both took advantage of the opportunity.

“I felt like we was competing for a spot, so I was going extra hard and going after him,” Wesley said of Branham. He also tried to outshine Duke’s Wendell Moore, who took part in the scrimmage as well, explaining, “They had a lot more hype than me, so I wanted to go at them.”

General manager Brian Wright said the Spurs expected Branham to be selected in the mid-teens or possibly late in the lottery and were prepared to trade up for him before he fell to No. 20.

“He’s smart, tough, compe ive and coachable, and those are all things we were looking to find in this draft,” Wright said.

There’s more from San Antonio:

• The addition of two guards casts doubt on the future of Lonnie Walker, who is headed for free agency, Orsborn adds in a separate story. The Spurs can make him restricted by extending a $6.3MM qualifying offer by Wednesday, but there may no longer be a role for him in San Antonio. “He has done a phenomenal job in his development over the years and we saw the consistency he brought, especially in the second half of the season when he really hit his stride,” Wright said. “At the appropriate time, we will sit with (his representatives) and him and try to find out what’s next for him and the franchise.”
    • Jeff McDonald of the San Antonio Express-News looks at the international background of lottery pick Jeremy Sochan, who had to learn basketball from his mother because there weren’t many accomplished coaches in the English town where the family lived when he was young. The organization is impressed by Sochan’s versatility and plans to use him all along the front line.
    • Coach Gregg Popovich called each of the Spurs’ draft picks Thursday night to welcome them to the team, McDonald tweets, adding that it’s a pretty clear indication that Popovich plans to return for another season.

Lol just drives home again how much better timvp's reporting is

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Rumor:

We move

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rumor:

We move
    No..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some nuggets from S.I about the Sochan pick too:

https://www.si.com/nba/2022/06/24/nb...final-thoughts

...Some around the league suspect that Damian Lillard was a major factor in the Blazers’ decision, which feels like a pretty reasonable hunch: as Portland continues to try and toe the line between competing for the playoffs and laying groundwork for a post-Lillard future, cooperation with their star player is an essential part of maintaining a happy equilibrium within the organization. According to sources with knowledge of the situation, Lillard was involved with the Blazers’ predraft process and took a strong interest in Sharpe during his visits to Portland. (Per sources, Sharpe worked out for the Blazers on two different occasions, once in early June and again on June 15.) I was told that members of Portland’s group made a ton of calls to Kentucky staffers throughout the process and were clearly quite invested. And I suspect the Blazers would never have taken a clear long-view route at this pick without Lillard’s cosign.

By taking Sharpe at No. 7, the Blazers gifted the Pelicans and Spurs with their preferred options at No. 8 and No. 9. New Orleans’s brass had fallen in love with Daniels and were anxiously waiting to see if he’d make it to their selection. San Antonio coveted Jeremy Sochan, but was nervous the Pelicans might take him at No. 8. Washington, picking at No. 10, was viewed by some rival teams as Sharpe’s floor. But the Wizards were also quite high on Johnny Davis, who was the obvious solution to their backcourt needs at that spot. All four of those players ranked inside my top 10 and could have been in play at any of those spots. And to me, that’s where the second, high-quality tier of draft prospects ended...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. I don't understand why Orlando was playing the clown. It confused the guy they picked and did nothing for them otherwise. Whatever.

2. Portland covered themselves in embarrassment the way they tanked and wound up with... a guy no one knows whether he can even play. Sheesh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. I don't understand why Orlando was playing the clown. It confused the guy they picked and did nothing for them otherwise. Whatever.

2. Portland covered themselves in embarrassment the way they tanked and wound up with... a guy no one knows whether he can even play. Sheesh.
    Pure speculation but Dame Lillard just Insta'd a Photoshop picture of he and Kevin Durant playing together in Portland.
    If Brooklyn was to blow it up, Sharpe as a lottery talent may hold some appeal...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pure speculation but Dame Lillard just Insta'd a Photoshop picture of he and Kevin Durant playing together in Portland.
    If Brooklyn was to blow it up, Sharpe as a lottery talent may hold some appeal...
    To go from one questionable character (Irving) to another?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To go from one questionable character (Irving) to another?
    On Brand at least

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly think Marks is smarter than that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LeBron won’t be on the team in 2 years.
    He probably won’t be on the team a year from now. Bronny is in next years draft, supposedly.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Pop think John Collins is the next Duncan?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just wanted to post a thanks to TiMVP. Awesome article with lots of interesting intel. I don’t post very often but Im a longtime lurker, and articles/threads like this are what keeps me coming here.

It’s interesting that you had Branham as the last guy left that you could have seen the Spurs take in the lottery. A couple of weeks ago I thought he might have been a dark horse pick at 9, but then I read about how bad his defense was so I cooled on him at that spot. Once we were on the clock at 20, I was more confident that he was the selection than any pick since Duncan.

Wesley I was less sure about. I thought he was BPA and he the highest upside, but I figured they wouldn’t take another guard or even a third rookie to roster in 2022-23. I fully expected Procida to be the pick. I’m sad in a way to see he was the guy at 38. Would have been a home run if we didn’t get sniped.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great write-up, and just want to thank timvp for all of his efforts here. Not only taking the time to write up the content, but I can't imagine the behind the scenes work it takes to evaluate these players, network with scouts, etc.

As your Big Boards and the draft showed...you were basically on target. Moreso than some of the "major media" outlets out there.

This is why SpursTalk is the quintessential place for Spurs discussion, thanks to LJ and Kori Ellis
    Couldn't agree more. What a great read, I'm really excited about these guys. A very successful draft it appears!

I am starting to appreciate the draft better after the dust settled:

1 go-to scorer- Brahnam
    2 defensive PF - Sochan
    3 point of attack defender - Sochan, Brahnam and Wesley (both 6’10” wingspan)
    4 Backup Center - Barlow

Plus over the fence prospect Blake, with Iveyish athleticism still raw but already dominating the workout
    All three trajectories to be top draft prospects next year as their roles increased.
    Sochan would start to dominate when his Point Forward skills are further developed. A better Simmons, Barkley-esque bully in the paint.
    Brahnam not first-step fast but knowing how to manufacture points
    I don’t want to get ahead of myself, but these guys have over the fence upsides, could be really really good, enough for me to forget Davis
    Yep!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's more than likely a 3 team deal with Collins going elsewhere bringing us extra picks..kind of like they tried to structure with Sacramento....it could still be Sacramento with their 1st next year coming here...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

1. If the Spurs get rid of Dejounte and wind up with John Collins, I'll ing riot.

2. I don't get the push to get rid of Dejounte right now as it is.

Thread Information