• let's make a run at the playoffs and add free agents

19 55.88%
  • trade DJ, we need a superstar

15 44.12%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's settle this. I want to know who's in the majority. Do you want to keep the band together, bet on internal improvement and add pieces in free agency or do you want to trade DJ and rebuild for another 4-5 years around a bunch of 19 year olds so we can contend in 2030?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you can get a haul for Murray and to a lesser extent Poeltl, do it. Otherwise I don't see the appeal of trading them for trash to get a player who you hope becomes as good as Murray (doubt they'd tank hard enough for a legit shot at Wembanyama).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We should have torn it down mid DDR era. We could have gotten a similar haul for a combo of Patty, LMA, DDR and Gay tanked got a much higher pick in 2020/21 and be off to the races again. This view is not in hindsight; everyone saw it at the time.

Trading the one piece who brings excitement to the fan base, reps the team so hard, has growing respect across the league, is considerably underpaid you better get a nice return.

Gallo and what would probably equate to 3 mid round firsts would be horrid.

You don’t need to trade DJ to tear it down. We are already near rock bottom. Trading DJ still doesn’t get you a superstar. If he misses 30 games next season we are a for sure bottom 5 team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree. Actually we should‘ve never traded for DeRozan to begin with. Nobody here wanted him. DJ for Gallo and 3 Hawks picks would be up there with the nephew trade as dumbest trade in Spurs history

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree. Actually we should‘ve never traded for DeRozan to begin with. Nobody here wanted him. DJ for Gallo and 3 Hawks picks would be up there with the nephew trade as dumbest trade in Spurs history
    Nah, the latter was more like the dumbest trade in NBA history.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If a great offer comes along (multiple picks -4+-, including a couple lightly protected top 10 picks), then trade DM. Otherwise keep him, but continue to field offers for Poeltl and other assets, and building through the draft. Next playoffs we'd be in more a massacre, so no point in rushing it, but if we continue down this road, we could make a splash in 2 years, and really contend in 3/4. But we need to keep adding talent, we're much better than we were last season, but far from a top 10 team talent wise: GSW, Boston, Milwaukee, Phoenix, Dallas, Memphis, Denver, NO, Cleveland, Toronto, Minnesota... all those teams are more talented and likely better for us in the short term, plus Detroit, Houston, OKC, maybe Orlando, could leapfrog us in the short term. We're doing better, but we're not there yet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only way I’m trading DJ is if it’s for a king’s ransom. Not for the corpse of Gallinari and 3 FRP‘s projected to be in the early 20’s. That’s ing terrible and a good way to set your franchise back another 5+ years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If a great offer comes along (multiple picks -4+-, including a couple lightly protected top 10 picks), then trade DM. Otherwise keep him, but continue to field offers for Poeltl and other assets, and building through the draft. Next playoffs we'd be in more a massacre, so no point in rushing it, but if we continue down this road, we could make a splash in 2 years, and really contend in 3/4. But we need to keep adding talent, we're much better than we were last season, but far from a top 10 team talent wise: GSW, Boston, Milwaukee, Phoenix, Dallas, Memphis, Denver, NO, Cleveland, Toronto, Minnesota... all those teams are more talented and likely better for us in the short term, plus Detroit, Houston, OKC, maybe Orlando, could leapfrog us in the short term. We're doing better, but we're not there yet.
    Yeah we're definitely not there yet, but a lot of our players will make a jump, our bench is mostly on rookie contracts, we got cap space as well as future picks (Chicago 2025, Boston 2028 swap and multiple 2nds that can be flipped into firsts like last season). We could easily add a legit young starter under 25 in free agency or via trade, maybe even 2. Makes no sense to me to tear it down. I hate that the Spurs are never aggressive on the trade and free agency market

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed with what others said. Should've tore it down when nephew ed us over.

What's there to tear down now?
    You've got one of the best two-way guards in the league that just became an all-star.
    Half of your roster can't even buy a beer yet and we've got a ton of cap space.

How many young players do we need? I hate the takes that are hopefully of landing the #1 pick and getting the next superstar. Happened twice for the Spurs, won't happen again in a long time. Forget about it.

And I just can't see Pop tanking.

Don't get me wrong, I'd trade Murray if someone overpays, but I don't want mediocre picks and no actual good players in return.

Regardless of if we get Ayton, Jakob is the one who should go. His value will never be higher and he's a bad fit with his lack of range or any kind of offensive skill.
    My dream scenario that's still realistic would be Ayton as a FA and then getting OG from Toronto with Jakob.

If DJ actually goes, I don't see why would we deal with the Hawks. Knicks can offer a way better package. If it's the Hawks, I wouldn't even pick up the phone if Hunter isn't coming the other way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only way I’m trading DJ is if it’s for a king’s ransom. Not for the corpse of Gallinari and 3 FRP‘s projected to be in the early 20’s. That’s ing terrible and a good way to set your franchise back another 5+ years.
    plus this is a good way to piss off your own fans. would be stupid.

we better keep dejounte, thats my vote.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah we're definitely not there yet, but a lot of our players will make a jump, our bench is mostly on rookie contracts, we got cap space as well as future picks (Chicago 2025, Boston 2028 swap and multiple 2nds that can be flipped into firsts like last season). We could easily add a legit young starter under 25 in free agency or via trade, maybe even 2. Makes no sense to me to tear it down. I hate that the Spurs are never aggressive on the trade and free agency market
    Tearing it down to me would be using the talent base we've been ac ulating to trade for a veteran than will lead us to the first round of the playoffs, like it happened in Brooklyn. I'm saying field offers for Poeltl and Richardson, and ONLY trade Dejounte for AN OFFER YOU CAN'T REFUSE. And by that I don't mean the one talked about from Atlanta... those picks will be in the 20s, and you need 4+ of those plus 3+ years of development to turn them into a player like Dejounte.

Doc
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's absolutely no sense in trading for picks outside of the lottery. We already have a ton of talented young players who can be solid starters with a bit of all-star upside potential, we don't need more at the expense of giving up an established guy like Dejounte. For unprotected lottery chances, though... If the 2023 draft is as stacked at the top as some people say it is, then tanking and acquiring some extra ping pong balls may not be such a bad idea. It is a gamble, but you're increasing your odds of getting a franchise-changing player with the number one pick, and if you miss out and the consolation prize is another top five player in a good draft, that's pretty good too. With the possibility that DJ may walk at the end of this contract, or command more money than he might be really worth, I understand the Spurs wanting to ensure some kind of return from their development of Dejounte. Especially given the unlikelihood that they can really make any kind of serious run over the next couple of years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean we were a top 5 team in the west last seasonwhy blow ot up?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean we were a top 5 team in the west last seasonwhy blow it up?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean we were a top 5 team in the west last seasonwhy blow it up?
    our average age is 23.4 years, what's there to blow up?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you want to really tear it down package Pop for early retirement. Contribute 5mm as a signing bonus towards his campaign for mayor of Sonoma County.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    our average age is 23.4 years, what's there to blow up?

the delusion this team is making the playoffs by throwing in the towel on Dejounte

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm strongly looking forward to another 9th-12th pick next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seriously though, DJ is our best player and probably at or near his peak...and barring one or two major adds, still doesn't seem like the kind of guy who is gonna lead a team to a championship. He is basically Westbrook with less offense and more defense.

If you are going to sell on him, now is the time to do it...but only if you can get the "major haul" the Spurs are seeking. You don't trade him just to trade him, obviously.

Otherwise....Spurs are going to need a major FA add (unlikely) or trade (even less likely), or basically 2-3 of their young stars to make a huge leap to be a legit playoff team. Obviously, these things could happen...or we could remain treadmill team like the Pacers for the next 5-10 years as we rinse and repeat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seriously though, DJ is our best player and probably at or near his peak...and barring one or two major adds, still doesn't seem like the kind of guy who is gonna lead a team to a championship. He is basically Westbrook with less offense and more defense.

If you are going to sell on him, now is the time to do it...but only if you can get the "major haul" the Spurs are seeking. You don't trade him just to trade him, obviously.

Otherwise....Spurs are going to need a major FA add (unlikely) or trade (even less likely), or basically 2-3 of their young stars to make a huge leap to be a legit playoff team. Obviously, these things could happen...or we could remain treadmill team like the Pacers for the next 5-10 years as we rinse and repeat.
    1. DJ has not reached his ceiling yet
    2. We don't know what the ceiling of guys like Vassell, Keldon, Primo, Branham, Sochan and Wesley is
    3. We could easily add some starters under 25 to that group via trade and free agency if the FO would decide to pursue them aggressively for once
    4. We got enough cap space to collect pics by taking on bad contracts while keeping Murray around
    5. Those Hawks picks would be in the low 20s

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

There is no "major haul" available from the Hawks. They just don't have it. You'd be lucky and happy to end up with one player of Murray's quality from 3 non-lottery 1st round picks. The way the draft odds are stacked now, I don't believe in trading away your best young player to make yourself worse in order to improve your odds at the #1 pick from 5% to 14%.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

in know way shape or form is that atl deal selling high.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    in know way shape or form is that atl deal selling high.
    I never said the Atlanta deal was the right deal. I'm also not that high on Collins, especially if it means giving up Murray.

Just saying, Murray just happens to be the best asset we have right now to bring back major assets. I love the guy, but I wouldn't act like he is untouchable. If the right deal is out there, the Spurs should pull the trigger instead of hanging their hat on DJM being the future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never said the Atlanta deal was the right deal. I'm also not that high on Collins, especially if it means giving up Murray.

Just saying, Murray just happens to be the best asset we have right now to bring back major assets. I love the guy, but I wouldn't act like he is untouchable. If the right deal is out there, the Spurs should pull the trigger instead of hanging their hat on DJM being the future.

If the "right" deal comes along fine. If they move him because they've finally stopped pretending to win ...then UGH

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't bear to trade Murray. It's so hard to find the right type of personality that wants to build something in SA and he's it.

Let the roster saturation manifest naturally and take care of it then. It'll be more clear then who is the keeper, and frequently logjams fix themselves through injuries.

There's no urgency to win now with this group, and there's too much talent to do a proper tear down. The time to do a proper tear down was the day Kawhi was traded, when we could have jettisoned Aldridge, Gay and others for picks, prospects, and future cap room.

Thread Information