Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The dark shadow looming behind all this, I feel, is Klutch. I don't think the Spurs want to deal with them and ever since DJM signed with them I felt this sort of thing would happen.

Again, whether Murray is a max guy or not is not the issue. The question is how this is being handled. If Vassel and Keldon are the next two guys up, then how are they going to develop knowing they're going to get a boot to the rear in a couple of years?
    All they have to do is look back. The Spurs took the Big 3 in 4 championships with them making sacrifices. San Antonio is NOT a big market who afford paying luxury taxes. IF they are committed and believe that PATFO is trying to build a championship team, which unequivocally they are, then they know what to expect. They will get only what the team can afford to keep a compe ive team. IF DJ feels the same commitment, then he too should take a paycut. I don’t blame him if he doesn’t and if he seeks greener pasture. But knowing what Spurs stand for in years and the championships it brought with its ways, should not leave anything in doubt what to expect.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm clicking all the ads on this site tbh, gotta get timvp paid.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t see DJ as a Brian Wright type player, at least as far as the profile of players we’ve brought in after Luka, which seems to be 100% Wright. That doesn’t mean they have to dump him, but it does make me wonder about what type of personality they’re trying to construct. I don’t see the FO ever fully trusting DJ enough to pull him into their inner circle decision making process, like they did with prior Spurs leaders, as far as I know, at least. The problem with this is that the more DJ gets dangled like this, then that by itself could cause a problem. I see DJ taking this personally. But these are just guesses.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's the right strategy. You get two years of All-Star play and leadership. You don't tell the rest of your players that they are out the door the second they might earn good money.

That's really bad team management. This isn't a video game.
    How much good money do you think DJ is worth vs how much good money do you think DJ feels he is worth? If there’s a big disparity there, then the Spurs are ed in two years if they don’t move him now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No its not a video game...it's a guarantee to be a mediocre team seeded between 7-11 for the foreseeable future...if that's our goal then your strategy is sound...
    Betting on the Lottery is not a guarantee either. Look at the Rockets, Okc, they have top 5 picks in a row . Will they be better then Spurs this year and the next 2-3 years ? i'm really not sure and even if their core reach their potentials, will they be contenders ? same answer.

If i'm the Spurs i will go with this team, trying to go after a good FA this summer and then if that's not good i could deal some players by february.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do not think there's any danger of burning bridges with the players, or jeopardizing the future as a result of trading Dejounte, as long as the situation is being properly handled internally. For all we know, he's in the loop, in fact he's been reportedly in touch with potential trade partners and open to the deal. He's aware this is a business, and if the Spurs are on a different timeline than him, any player with a half functioning brain should be able to understand that, as long as we're not going behind his back like it happened to Blake Griffin on the Clippers, Haliburton in Sacramento, or even DDR in Toronto. If he's sent to a contending team with the understanding they'll max him out when the time comes and he's ok'd the deal, if anything the young players will welcome the shift to a full on rebuilding & development phase, where they'll receive more opportunities. If there's one thing that doesn't really concern me, is that the Spurs seem to be aware of that aspect and handling it well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t see DJ as a Brian Wright type player, at least as far as the profile of players we’ve brought in after Luka, which seems to be 100% Wright. That doesn’t mean they have to dump him, but it does make me wonder about what type of personality they’re trying to construct. I don’t see the FO ever fully trusting DJ enough to pull him into their inner circle decision making process, like they did with prior Spurs leaders, as far as I know, at least. The problem with this is that the more DJ gets dangled like this, then that by itself could cause a problem. I see DJ taking this personally. But these are just guesses.
    DJ has said himself that he takes predraft prospects to dinner. That is just one example of how he’s part of the decision making process.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bold prediction: They will not trade Murray.
    This kind of stuff happens every year, just like the Spurs are tied to every free agent ever. Don’t know why we are always on the list of “interested teams,” but the % of times this stuff ever happens is like 5%.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bold prediction: They will not trade Murray.
    This kind of stuff happens every year, just like the Spurs are tied to every free agent ever. Don’t know why we are always on the list of “interested teams,” but the % of times this stuff ever happens is like 5%.
    happens is like 5%.[/QUOTE]

But this time the Spurs are saying, they will take a Jrue package type of haul. I think that’s saying yes will move him for the right price.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While 4 first round picks sound appealing on paper, 4 first round picks from the Hawks, who are likely to be a playoff team in the years to come, isn’t really that valuable. What does it matter if the picks are unprotected if they’re going to be in the 20’s anyway.
    You push them out as far into the future as you can, and hope for the best. When AD was traded, I’m guessing no one saw the 2022 LAL pick swap as anything, but it turned into the #8 pick this year.

The thing is, the return isn’t going to get better. If we wait a year, it might only be 2 FRPs instead of 4.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Timvp becoming a Twitter celebrity

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Get it Timvp!

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DJ has said himself that he takes predraft prospects to dinner. That is just one example of how he’s part of the decision making process.
    Interesting. Good info. That complicates the situation more, and makes me think then that they are openly communicating with him through this process. This feels like another new era; I don’t recall these types of rumors like this exactly before, only because we had foundational players.

On a tangent: the Pop retirement decision is another interesting factor. To flip it around, maybe Dejounte doesn’t want to play for a new coach in SA?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thank God the Twitterverse is picking up more traffic than the one-side ATL perspective. That's a tired narrative that lacks significant detail.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fallacy in this thought is that the draft picks will automatically make a better team. The opposite is more likely -- a treadmill bad team.

The fallacy in this thought is that the team isn't already close to the playoffs, which it is. There were two major things needed, which was size and being able to close games.

Last summer, everyone was complaining about how this was the first year in decades where we didn't have an All-Star. Well, we developed an All-Star. The fallacy is in not seeing that everyone on the team is improving.

I feel like people think this team is stuck in concrete and the only way it gets better is by these nebulous, intangible first round picks. Or that these nebulous, first round picks magically give us a tall skinny French guy.

There is absolute danger that this kind of stuff ruins team chemistry and has everyone looking behind their backs, wondering where their next destination is. Again, this isn't a vidya game. These are real people.
    This team is stuck in concrete if they max DJ without better max players to put alongside him. Draft pick don't 'automatically' make the team better but they do give us a better chance of being better than going forward with DJ as your best player on a max deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People can't expect the Spurs to operate the same as they did in the past couple of decades because tehre is no Robinson and there is no Duncan. Thats the bottom line.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Betting on the Lottery is not a guarantee either. Look at the Rockets, Okc, they have top 5 picks in a row . Will they be better then Spurs this year and the next 2-3 years ? i'm really not sure and even if their core reach their potentials, will they be contenders ? same answer.

If i'm the Spurs i will go with this team, trying to go after a good FA this summer and then if that's not good i could deal some players by february.
    Show me the FA or even the obtainable player we can add to this roster that's better than DJ. Then show me the 2nd player we can add thats better than DJ that we can add because that's what it will take to compete. If there's a realistic path to obtaining that I'm all for it....I just don't see it and not one person on this board has laid out a realistic path to achieve that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This team is stuck in concrete if they max DJ without better max players to put alongside him. Draft pick don't 'automatically' make the team better but they do give us a better chance of being better than going forward with DJ as your best player on a max deal.
    Jesus Christ I feel like people can't read.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It feels like there's a deal to be had there.

Murray and Langford for:

Gallinari, Okongwu ATL 2023 unprotected first, CHA 2023 first, 2024 swap and 2025 Top-4 protected first, 2026 swap and OKC's 2024 and 2025 unprotected seconds.
    i mean yeah, if we get 3 firsts + 2 swaps + 2 seconds + okongwu thats quite the king's ransom. i dont see them giving up that much tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i mean yeah, if we get 3 firsts + 2 swaps + 2 seconds + okongwu thats quite the king's ransom. i dont see them giving up that much tbh
    I don't think they care about the seconds that much. They have more. I think they'd give up the firsts easily but might want more protections on the 2025 pick. Their natural 2023 pick is non-negotiable, and I think they know that, and as of now the Charlotte pick is heavily protected. The swaps are a potential sticking point, and I could see the Spurs relenting on the one in 2026.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If any of this is true, it just makes the DeRozan/Aldridge Mid Range Era all the more frustrating... I wanted a proactive aggressive approach and restart then, knowing that the post Kawhi team wasn't capable of winning a chip, but the FO stuck with them both for too long in my opinion. It was clear in 2019 that a 29 yr old DeRozan and a 33 yr old Aldridge weren't the answer, and now here we are in 2022 still hoping the assets from the DeRozan trade add up to something significant before 2026. There is some bad luck involved here, I'll give that to the Spurs. They did a good job of clearing space for this off season, but unfortunately there just aren't any big impact FAs to go after.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jesus Christ I feel like people can't read.
    And I feel like some people are caught up in their emotions without the ability to evaluate rationally....so here we are....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It will be interesting to see what the Spurs have planned for free agency. Its hard to say you're going to be able to convince a big FA that you want them to come if you're also trying to sell your biggest star currently. Perhaps the plan is to rent out capspace for picks or assets. But it seems to me the chances of a big Ayton or Levine deal have to have gone down with this news.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And I feel like some people are caught up in their emotions without the ability to evaluate rationally....so here we are....
    Who is reacting emotionally? LMFAO

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It will be interesting to see what the Spurs have planned for free agency. Its hard to say you're going to be able to convince a big FA that you want them to come if you're also trying to sell your biggest star currently. Perhaps the plan is to rent out capspace for picks or assets. But it seems to me the chances of a big Ayton or Levine deal have to have gone down with this news.
    If the Spurs are moving Murray before he costs, it's pretty clear Lavine or Ayton were ever seriously considered.

Thread Information