Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Three things about a trade where you take back Gallinari and picks for Murray:

1.) You almost certainly improve the Spurs’ own pick - could go from the late lottery (or better) to early lottery. It stinks for a year, but much better future shots on goal

2.) You create at least $10 million in cap space with Gallo being cut for $5 million. That gives a LOT more flexibility to be a team to facilitate other moves in free agency and ac ulate more assets. Just don’t become the Thunder.

Could go the other way too and sign a guy like Brunson outright. I don’t love paying him more than Murray, but if you get a bunch of assets on top of it? Why not?

3.) Open up playing time for Primo and Young, as well as the two rookies. See what you have.
    Brunson is fools gold... Dude is ass

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, and 3) they've put a "once in a generation" grade on French Vic.
    I'm with that!! Let's brick for Vic!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This has probably been said, but . . .

- The Wizards (either Hachimura or maybe a choice of him and Avdija) are probably the unknow East team.

- If they're not going to get a premium pick, they at least need to hold firm on a mammoth amount (even though I'm not a fan of that route).

- All of the rumored interested teams would seemingly be set up to pick around 20ish in the near future, making their picks less valuable.

- This all tracks with what Windhorst said post White trade, there there's a split on how to proceed in the front office (obviously old vs new guard).

He's really valuable as that finishing piece but not someone to build a tea around

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, that sounds like it could be what he wants. Pop started out bad and we got the number 1 pick to get Tim Duncan. Maybe he wants to end the same way and go out with getting the number 1 pick to get Victor Wembanyama.
    That would truly be a full circle situation.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’ll be a smaller grab bag, like 1 or maybe 2 similar range FRPs when we get closer to his FA period. I personally like more more than I like less.

He’s not a superstar, baseline. If someone wants to flip you 3-4 FRPs for a guy you drafted at 29, and developed the out of, you do it.
    That's ridiculous, what does Murray being drafted at 29 have to do with anything? You let the league redraft that draft today and it probably goes

1. Pascal Siakam
    2. Jaylen Brown
    3. Brandon Ingram
    4. Dejounte Murray
    5. Ben Simmons

It's like you're getting the #4 pick in the draft in his prime years without having to develop him and he's on a bargain contract for two more years. You don't trade that away for a grab bag of picks in the late teens and twenties, that's moronic.

No indication Murray wants to bolt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's ridiculous, what does Murray being drafted at 29 have to do with anything? You let the league redraft that draft today and it probably goes

1. Pascal Siakam
    2. Jaylen Brown
    3. Brandon Ingram
    4. Dejounte Murray
    5. Ben Simmons

It's like you're getting the #4 pick in the draft in his prime years without having to develop him and he's on a bargain contract for two more years. You don't trade that away for a grab bag of picks in the late teens and twenties, that's moronic.

This tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

1. Pascal Siakam
    2. Jaylen Brown
    3. Brandon Ingram
    4. Dejounte Murray
    5. Ben Simmons

Bang on. Great post.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

1. Pascal Siakam
    2. Jaylen Brown
    3. Brandon Ingram
    4. Dejounte Murray
    5. Ben Simmons

tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Try telling that to the fringe All-Stars. Everybody out there trying to grab their bag whether they deserve it or not...and the Spurs are especially susceptible being in a small-market.

I know DJ has been all about team and Spurs culture and what not...but IF he is still a Spur when extension time comes, we'll see if he walks the walk. Tim, Tony, Manu...all those guys took lesser deals to keep the team together and stay compe ive.

Will Murray follow suit, or milk that cash cow for all it is worth?
    Owners need to be smarter. But the market is, fringe allstars are max players. It's dividing the nba from the best. If you miss on developing on a fringe allstar at a max, you hurt your franchise for a few years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Owners need to be smarter. But the market is, fringe allstars are max players. It's dividing the nba from the best. If you miss on developing on a fringe allstar at a max, you hurt your franchise for a few years.
    For players, I guess that's a fair argument...and I don't blame them for trying to maximize their value. If one team isn't willing to give you max dollars but another is, then go get paid.

That said, I think "market value" is putting a lot of teams in really ty situations. There are guys like Kyrie, Leonard, Westbrook, Harden, Simmons, etc...getting paid max (or near-max) value for either not playing, or outright tanking their teams.

If I'm a GM, I'm not paying max value for a guy who isn't a top-15 player in the league, but obviously some do and live with the consequences.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The part about them maybe not wanting to pay Murray in two years is weird because every single good team in the nba is overpaying at least 1 player. To say you don't want to overpay someone is to say you never want to be a good team.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For players, I guess that's a fair argument...and I don't blame them for trying to maximize their value. If one team isn't willing to give you max dollars but another is, then go get paid.

That said, I think "market value" is putting a lot of teams in really ty situations. There are guys like Kyrie, Leonard, Westbrook, Harden, Simmons, etc...getting paid max (or near-max) value for either not playing, or outright tanking their teams.

If I'm a GM, I'm not paying max value for a guy who isn't a top-15 player in the league, but obviously some do and live with the consequences.
    And what happens when the 15th best players want to play somewhere else and the 16th best player won't play for you cause you won't give him the max?

You going to spend that money on players who don't move the needle for you? And your fan base is going to be happy?

You just going to tank forever until you get a star that you will pay a max to? Well other teams can also pay him a max albeit one less year so whats stopping him from taking their money and not yours?

KD walked away from a 4 year max in OKC to sign a 1 year max in GS.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

1. Pascal Siakam
    2. Jaylen Brown
    3. Brandon Ingram
    4. Dejounte Murray
    5. Ben Simmons

I think you're touching on the core of the motivation to trade him. Literally this year is the first year you can make an argument that Murray would be draft over Simmons. If Ben comes back, he'll go right back to being drafted over Murray. He really was/is insanely good. Even with that, I think you can easily put Murray out of the top-10 of a redraft. I would say somewhere in the 6-10 range. I have Simmons clearly over him and guys like other Murray, FVV and Sabonis as in similar tiers. Of course, last year was finally where his production matched an average Simmons year, so if that is going to be Murray's average from now on, he'll climb the statistical ranks and before one of the top three. If you're betting on him to do that, then you keep him and invest to build around him. If you wouldn't be on that, you find someone who would and get assets from them. You can totally justify trading the seventh- or eight-best player in his class for multiple firsts. 2011 was a great draft, but the eighth-best player in that class by win-shares is Enes Freedom. If you sort it by minute, the eighth-best is IT. Neither one of those guys is or honest was every worth more than three lightly protected firsts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And what happens when the 15th best players want to play somewhere else and the 16th best player won't play for you cause you won't give him the max?

You going to spend that money on players who don't move the needle for you? And your fan base is going to be happy?

You just going to tank forever until you get a star that you will pay a max to? Well other teams can also pay him a max albeit one less year so whats stopping him from taking their money and not yours?

KD walked away from a 4 year max in OKC to sign a 1 year max in GS.
    Obviously the "top 15" thing is just an example, and there is no way to quantify it.

The point is....there are players that deserve the max, and players who don't. Period.

I'm sorry, but just because you made one All-Star team doesn't mean you outright deserve the max. The max should be for guys who can carry teams to the playoffs, and DJ hasn't shown the ability to do that.

If you're Kevin ing Durant, you deserve the max.

If you are a crippled John Wall, or a headcase like Kyrie or Ben Simmons...no thanks. Let someone else hamstring their own franchise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I also don't doubt the idea that LeBron wants to bring his boi Murray if he can....whether that is in LA or somewhere else. Therein lies the "nepotism" of Klutch, anything they do is based around the whims of James.

Also can't forget the Morris was under Klutch when he reneged on his commitment with the Spurs, and even HE cut ties with them after that backlash.

I agree that Klutch isn't like some Lex Luthor type influence...but still something Spurs have to consider with any dealings.
    WRONG. Klutch cut ties with Morris after that episode, and declined to represent him any longer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    WRONG. Klutch cut ties with Morris after that episode, and declined to represent him any longer.
    Uh....these articles seem to disagree:

https://www.yahoo.com/video/marcus-m...230249961.html

https://lebronwire.usatoday.com/2019...klutch-sports/

https://m.facebook.com/theScore/phot...7429392967037/

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...2ye-story.html

https://www.celticslife.com/2019/07/...-as-agent.html

They can call it "mutual" all they want...but anybody who has gone through a "mutual" breakup knows that ain't always the case

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    surprisingly quiet day on the Murray front as far as actual new reporting

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it's legit something both sides wanted. The issue isn't finding fault with Klutch -- they botched that situation. It's that the fault wasn't them steering Morris to a big market, which is what folks here seem to think is all they do. It's that they basically ignored Morris in free agency and took the first easy deal they could, and Morris was able to find a better deal relatively easily. So Morris wanted out because Klutch almost took money off his table, and Klutch wanted out because Morris went back on an agreement while they were representing them.

Believing Klutch is the mastermind behind all or most of these incidents is the part that's lazy. This is a league-wide trend that I think most people believe should come with some better guardrails. Klutch is just an agency that's willing to take backlash for their prime clients, which is why players sign with them. Their player friendly leanings are attracting bad actors; they aren't making them

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Prefer to step forward in building one of the best defensive units in the league. Adding Sochan was a great start, so why stop there? Murray + Sochan + Ayton would be a formidable Big Three on defense. On offense: Murray + Ayton + KJ would be one heck of Big Three. And you're on your way to the playoffs...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it's legit something both sides wanted. The issue isn't finding fault with Klutch -- they botched that situation. It's that the fault wasn't them steering Morris to a big market, which is what folks here seem to think is all they do. It's that they basically ignored Morris in free agency and took the first easy deal they could, and Morris was able to find a better deal relatively easily. So Morris wanted out because Klutch almost took money off his table, and Klutch wanted out because Morris went back on an agreement while they were representing them.

Believing Klutch is the mastermind behind all or most of these incidents is the part that's lazy. This is a league-wide trend that I think most people believe should come with some better guardrails. Klutch is just an agency that's willing to take backlash for their prime clients, which is why players sign with them. Their player friendly leanings are attracting bad actors; they aren't making them
    Alright, that's fair...but I can also see why that gives the Spurs, in particular, a reason to be reluctant to work with Klutch going forward. And the fact that our two best players right now (Murray and Johnson) are rep'd by them is not great

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jake Fischer on Dunc’d On said the most recent he has heard is that John Collins is back in the talks to head to SA if Dejounte goes to ATL

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jake Fischer on Dunc’d On said the most recent he has heard is that John Collins is back in the talks to head to SA if Dejounte goes to ATL

this guy has gullible folks at his fingertips

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i saw collin reid's tweet too

Thread Information