Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While I think Murray is good, I think the Spurs would do well trading him when his value is at its highest after the All Star nod. I still sort of believe he's got a Westrbrook quality to him, meaning great stats but not really sure he's good at running an offense. I think we sell high. If Primo is really coming on as is whispered, well, it could work out for us in a year or two down the line. And if we're armed with some unprotected 1's, that may make it worth it.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Try telling that to the fringe All-Stars. Everybody out there trying to grab their bag whether they deserve it or not...and the Spurs are especially susceptible being in a small-market.

I know DJ has been all about team and Spurs culture and what not...but IF he is still a Spur when extension time comes, we'll see if he walks the walk. Tim, Tony, Manu...all those guys took lesser deals to keep the team together and stay compe ive.

Will Murray follow suit, or milk that cash cow for all it is worth?
    Murray will ask for max, which he should, because that's his market value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I say Wizards. They have Davis, Deni who’ve we’ve liked in the past, and Pop favorite Kuzma.
    I’m down with that. I think Pop would like Davis as backup for Primo and possible starting PG (I know he’s a SG but can really play PG) and 3 first round draft picks. Then get Ayton.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You think Charlotte will be good? Charlotte's and San Antonio's picks will be lottery picks and they'll have three firsts next year like they had this year so a solid foundation to build on with all those lottery picks combined with this year's picks instead of throwing a boatload of money to Murray in a couple of years. Murray's timeline doesn't match up with the youth movement, so move him.

Spurs are not winning anything in the next couple of years anyways.
    Don't think I'd write the Hornets off into the lottery next year. They made the play-in this season and Ball is only going to get better. I'd rather do a deal with Washington who you know will be trash because Beal's nerve damage ensures he'll be a high usage, low efficiency player again. Get an unprotected 2023 pick, an unprotected 2025 pick, an unprotected 2027 pick, a couple of pick swaps, and take some trash player like KCP back for salary matching.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't think I'd write the Hornets off into the lottery next year. They made the play-in this season and Ball is only going to get better. I'd rather do a deal with Washington who you know will be trash because Beal's nerve damage ensures he'll be a high usage, low efficiency player again. Get an unprotected 2023 pick, an unprotected 2025 pick, an unprotected 2027 pick, a couple of pick swaps, and take some trash player like KCP back for salary matching.
    Washington doesn't own there pick next year I don't believe..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't because Washington owe their 2023 pick to NY - lottery protected and has protections until 2026.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m down with that. I think Pop would like Davis as backup for Primo and possible starting PG (I know he’s a SG but can really play PG) and 3 first round draft picks. Then get Ayton.
    They will ship Murray to where he wants to go. They won't send him to Washington.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't like this. Things don't happen in a vacuum and crating off the Spurs' best player and leader is bad form for the rest of the team. What message does it send the other players? That if you play well enough, they'll ship you out?

Maybe I'm old school, but when a player is good, you keep him. And then if he gets too expensive, you S&T him to another team that wants him at that range. It's happened that way for decades. It feels like the Spurs are 100% creating a problem that does not exist and then ignoring the repercussions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All this tells me that the Spurs are on the verge of pushing the button for a full rebuild.

Many on this board have been clamoring for this. It makes sense on so many levels.

Pop jumps on the grenade of coaching losses as retribution for his many wins and, in doing so, sets up the next coach with a puncher's chance of winning in a couple of years.
    This means that Pop will get to really coach this season, which he loves. Lots of teaching with these young guys. Also, there may be the idea that our real division rivals will be OKC and Houston in a few years and we need to reload with younger players to be compe ive in 2025 and beyond.

Whatever the case, I'd miss Dejounte, but, fully understand and be pretty happy with multiple firsts and a good young player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Try telling that to the fringe All-Stars. Everybody out there trying to grab their bag whether they deserve it or not...and the Spurs are especially susceptible being in a small-market.

I know DJ has been all about team and Spurs culture and what not...but IF he is still a Spur when extension time comes, we'll see if he walks the walk. Tim, Tony, Manu...all those guys took lesser deals to keep the team together and stay compe ive.

Will Murray follow suit, or milk that cash cow for all it is worth?
    the question is would the Spurs get him some help by then? Because I see nothing in them being interested to improve the team by adding pieces

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't like this. Things don't happen in a vacuum and crating off the Spurs' best player and leader is bad form for the rest of the team. What message does it send the other players? That if you play well enough, they'll ship you out?

Maybe I'm old school, but when a player is good, you keep him. And then if he gets too expensive, you S&T him to another team that wants him at that range. It's happened that way for decades. It feels like the Spurs are 100% creating a problem that does not exist and then ignoring the repercussions.
    It sends a message that the Spurs are going in on a full rebuild with the youth movement.

Players know it's a business and trades are part of what can happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Charlotte pick that Atlanta own is top 17 protected in 2023, lottery protected in 24 and 25 and then turns into two seconds.
    Then the Atlanta deal is completely worthless.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And one more thing, it seems like the Spurs/Wright are being proactive and getting ahead of the curve on this. This is new for the Spurs. It makes sense.

Jakob is likely going next, if this is true.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All this tells me that the Spurs are on the verge of pushing the button for a full rebuild.

Many on this board have been clamoring for this. It makes sense on so many levels.

Pop jumps on the grenade of coaching losses as retribution for his many wins and, in doing so, sets up the next coach with a puncher's chance of winning in a couple of years.
    This means that Pop will get to really coach this season, which he loves. Lots of teaching with these young guys. Also, there may be the idea that our real division rivals will be OKC and Houston in a few years and we need to reload with younger players to be compe ive in 2025 and beyond.

Whatever the case, I'd miss Dejounte, but, fully understand and be pretty happy with multiple firsts and a good young player.
    He's had the ability to really "coach" the last few years so tired of hearing that BS. He needs to hit the road if/when the Spurs trade away Murray. An 80yo anchor on this organization needs to be lifted.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

So S&T him in 2 years for much less value and spend the next 2 years in the play-in? That doesn't seem like a smart strategy..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

So S&T him in 2 years for much less value and spend the next 2 years in the play-in? That doesn't seem like a smart strategy..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It’s straight up out of character for an organization that preaches to their players to compete and to give it their all.

All folks can point back to is the Spurs doing it for Timmy decades ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It’s straight up out of character for an organization that preaches to their players to compete and to give it their all.

All folks can point back to is the Spurs doing it for Timmy decades ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Washington doesn't own there pick next year I don't believe..
    Can't because Washington owe their 2023 pick to NY - lottery protected and has protections until 2026.
    . Not on board with any Murray trade that doesn't bring back an unprotected 2023 pick from a likely lottery team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Them trading Murray would be great validation for the fans on the board that said blow it up after Kawhi dunked all over them. They've refused to pick a side since that and their indecisiveness set the franchise back YEARS.

I hope there's some real fallout from trading away Murray starting with forcing the old man into retirement then hopefully canning Wright in a year or two when the Spurs are stuck in late lottery mode still and are nothing more than a feeder team for better organizations around the league.

What an amateur Front Office tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ayton is too old and doesn't fit this team's timeline. Spurs should not sign anybody over 20. Besides that they are trying to get the #1 pick, Ayton would make them win games

Of course we do this exactly the season after the old man got his record. But players need to "get over themselves"

Spurs FO has been beyond stupid since 2017, nothing new. Last offseason was actually the first time since then where they did things right

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's the right strategy. You get two years of All-Star play and leadership. You don't tell the rest of your players that they are out the door the second they might earn good money.

That's really bad team management. This isn't a video game.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    . Not on board with any Murray trade that doesn't bring back an unprotected 2023 pick from a likely lottery team.
    You might be able to construct a deal with NY and Washington (if NY values Keldon and cap space alot) where DJ goes wo Washington and KJ goes to NY with NY sending back Fournier for cap relief and Washington sending back KCP for salary ballast. In that scenario Washington would lift the restrictions on their 2023 pick and NY would send their own first and Washington's first to us with Washington also sending future picks/swaps...

That could give us 3 shots at the lottery next year...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's the right strategy. You get two years of All-Star play and leadership. You don't tell the rest of your players that they are out the door the second they might earn good money.

That's really bad team management. This isn't a video game.
    No its not a video game...it's a guarantee to be a mediocre team seeded between 7-11 for the foreseeable future...if that's our goal then your strategy is sound...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    timvp in case the DJ trade doesn't happen, are there some plans to get DJ some help or do the Spurs plan to do basically the same thing they did last season? Do you know anything about that?

Thread Information