Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basically the Spurs won‘t do and run it back. This franchise is still operating like it has the big 3 on the roster. Make small moves to marginally improve while being stuck in the middle. Absolutely horrendous

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I posted about it, I think in the Ayton thread, like 2 or 3 days after the finals ended. I don't remember precisely but it was something to do with what he perceived as poor usage of him. Then a comment for which Monty took offense.

It's stuff that happens on every NBA roster, just so happens on this case, it was the build up in the finals.
    The Spurs are not getting him, so why bother? Seriously I’m expecting a signing of Gallo or Hayward for cap space rent or someone similar

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jake Fischer is either the new Shams or this guy is completely full of . Only way he would know this imo is if he got intel from the Hawks org.
    There are too many interested parties in having a “Jake Fischer” exist, not least of which the league which loves generating interest/content during the dead months of the year. I think most of his intel is founded in some reality.

And on this one, Jake gets to sit pretty even if things collapse btw spurs and Atlanta. Their is enough here to suggest there are real talks, so if they fail it’s not that he was full of , it’s that the teams couldn’t get there. Meanwhile his brand grows etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basically the Spurs won‘t do and run it back. This franchise is still operating like it has the big 3 on the roster. Make small moves to marginally improve while being stuck in the middle. Absolutely horrendous
    It's mind boggling tbh.

-They trade away DWhite and Murray/Vassell/Keldon all show signs of improvement the latter half of the year.
    -They do a good job with the draft and bring in some guys that I think can be solid rotation pieces (Branham/Sochan) by early 2023
    -They are flush with cap space and can make a very realistic run to make a talent upgrade by bringing in Ayton and possibly flipping Poetl for another piece
    -There's literally nobody in the West that scares me next year

Sure, they're not a championship team but I think they'd have a shot at a 4-8 seed next year and once you're in the playoffs anything can happen in the aforementioned wide open West.

But they're exploring trading away the franchise leader + best player for a slim chance at a Top 5 pick? When they could have done that this last season? They won't even bad enough to be a bottom 5 team if they trade away Murray tbh....just completely direction-less BS from this inept FO that's likely being held back by the old man

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eh, you wouldn't have gotten much for Dejounte Murray last summer. This was the year he blew up.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thinking outside the box but wonder if the spurs do move Murray for the 4picks + the young upcoming player could they then in turn take 2-3 of those picks and move it for SGA in OKC. Not sure they would want to move him but they always are looking for picks. Spurs get a dynamic PG who is 3 years younger and also Canadian to go with Primo. Ayton could still be in play or maybe Collins from Atlanta in the Murray trade. Again not sure if OKC would move him but just an out of the box thought

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's mind boggling tbh.

-They trade away DWhite and Murray/Vassell/Keldon all show signs of improvement the latter half of the year.
    -They do a good job with the draft and bring in some guys that I think can be solid rotation pieces (Branham/Sochan) by early 2023
    -They are flush with cap space and can make a very realistic run to make a talent upgrade by bringing in Ayton and possibly flipping Poetl for another piece

Sure, they're not a championship team but I think they'd have a shot at a 4-8 seed next year and once you're in the playoffs anything can happen in the aforementioned wide open West.

But they're exploring trading away the franchise leader + best player for a slim chance at a Top 5 pick? When they could have done that this last season? They won't even bad enough to be a bottom 5 team if they trade away Murray tbh....just completely direction-less BS from this inept FO that's likely being held back by the old man
    if you look at the moves they have made since 2018 it‘s pretty clear that it‘s all about letting the old man get his records

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    considering this year's FA class, i would be perfectly happy going with: "If the Spurs aren’t active in the free agent market, expect them to do what they did last summer: make trades in which they absorb unwanted contracts in return for draft picks. That worked out really well last offseason so it’s possible that the Spurs want to travel down that path once again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m just going to get disappointed with the lamest moves. Spurs are standing pat. It’s force of habit
    That point I agree with. DJ gone, Primo the new starting point, Walker returning are all stretches.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is Anfernee Simons actually any good? I know he put up some big numbers at the end of last season, but that was for a tanking team, so I'm not sure I can get a read on him based on that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's mind boggling tbh.

I don’t know if they went into the process wanting to deal murray but it’s possible their tone shifted when they sensed just how much he could possibly fetch.

but otherwise i agree that it’s frustrating how quiet it’s been. Take a shot. And if things aren’t working out great you can flip richardson probably for a late first so you still continue to stockpile some assets on a growing team

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is Anfernee Simons actually any good? I know he put up some big numbers at the end of last season, but that was for a tanking team, so I'm not sure I can get a read on him based on that.
    They actually shut him down before the tank so he wouldn’t ruin it. I don’t understand Portland, though. The two small guards who shoot lights out but play no defense model was obviously flawed, but they’re going to run it back again, with Simons instead of McCollum?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They actually shut him down before the tank so he wouldn’t ruin it. I don’t understand Portland, though. The two small guards who shoot lights out but play no defense model was obviously flawed, but they’re going to run it back again, with Simons instead of McCollum?
    And tanked for the no-defensiest guard of all, Shaeden Sharpe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's mind boggling tbh.

There’s no way to prove from that team to a championship contender. You’ll have no cap room, and not even any late lottery picks, only ones from 15-20 or so. It’s the definition of a treadmill team.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    considering this year's FA class, i would be perfectly happy going with: "If the Spurs aren’t active in the free agent market, expect them to do what they did last summer: make trades in which they absorb unwanted contracts in return for draft picks. That worked out really well last offseason so it’s possible that the Spurs want to travel down that path once again.
    I agree. Give all of the minutes to the youngest players so they can really be evaluated. Try to win (establish winning mentality), but don't worry about overall record (hopefully end up with nice draft pick). Get some extra draft picks in a deep draft and really see what gaps we have in the team next summer to fill through FA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And tanked for the no-defensiest guard of all, Shaeden Sharpe.
    They tanked hard, didn’t move into the top 4, and got knocked back from 6 to 7, two picks ahead of us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d consider this a successful off-season with the caveat this is a sh!t free agency so there are no targets who make sense.

1. Take a chance on another big like Jalen Smith or Mo Bamba. A 3yr deal in the area of 8-13mm for a young big with promise. Doesn’t break the bank, provides depth at a position of need and if they look good to start the season you can start considering moving Jak for future assets versus paying what is likely 15mm or more to resign him.

2. No McDermott like contracts. That was a head scratching waste of capital last off-season. DO NOT repeat a similar move. In fact make an effort to off-load him as he just gets in the way of our youth. I’d rather see one of our many young 2guards get time/play out of position as a SF than have McBooger back.

3. Find JRich a home in return for a young asset and or draft capital. I like JRich but it makes more sense to monetize him versus keeping him around as the locker room vet. That role can be filled via #4 below

4. Rent 15-30mm in cap space for young assets and or draft capital. 1 year term preferred. Those returning bad contracts ideally serve as the veteran leadership, positive locker room presence, perceived young OG type teammates to help the youth, provide stability and mentoring where fitting. Also become candidates to be moved again at the trade deadline for more draft capital

5. Extend Keldon somewhere in the area of 4yrs/70-80mm

Let the youth sink or swim and hopefully enter the 2023 draft with a top 5 pick while continuing to develop our young core. Enter the 2023 off-season with cap flex.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d consider this a successful off-season with the caveat this is a sh!t free agency so there are no targets who make sense.

1. Take a chance on another big like Jalen Smith or Mo Bamba. A 3yr deal in the area of 8-13mm for a young big with promise. Doesn’t break the bank, provides depth at a position of need and if they look good to start the season you can start considering moving Jak for future assets versus paying what is likely 15mm or more to resign him.

2. No McDermott like contracts. That was a head scratching waste of capital last off-season. DO NOT repeat a similar move. In fact make an effort to off-load him as he just gets in the way of our youth. I’d rather see one of our many young 2guards get time/play out of position as a SF than have McBooger back.

3. Find JRich a home in return for a young asset and or draft capital. I like JRich but it makes more sense to monetize him versus keeping him around as the locker room vet. That role can be filled via #4 below

4. Rent 15-30mm in cap space for young assets and or draft capital. 1 year term preferred. Those returning bad contracts ideally serve as the veteran leadership, positive locker room presence, perceived young OG type teammates to help the youth, provide stability and mentoring where fitting. Also become candidates to be moved again at the trade deadline for more draft capital

Let the youth sink or swim and hopefully enter the 2023 draft with a top 5 pick while continuing to develop our young core. Enter the 2023 off-season with cap flex.

this would make the most sense for this year and i'd be quite content with this. then, i could sit back and enjoy all the ST theatrics and implosions that would follow.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I like this overall and prefer it to jettisoning DJM at this time. I think I'm down with Jalen Smith despite some bad metrics. I'd have to take a closer look. I tend to favor keeping JRich. A very young team needs a steadying hand from a veteran, one who knows the ropes about how to be and act as a professional. By all accounts this is a great group of young guys, but having someone around like that is invaluable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's mind boggling tbh.

Agreed

Having a positive point differential to end the year even with our losing record says something about their compe iveness. in the end you gotta win games but it shows they are on the right track. and that was with last years team.

now they should be a year better, murray a year more experienced as the leader. add in sochan and vassel adding some bulk which hopefully improves his game, johnson moving to the bench or at least to the 3 with sochan at the 4 will give us more size.

and with murray, he was #1 in steals last year, if you trade him it better be for someone that can help us today otherwise get out of here with this more draft picks crap. but for me, i don't trade him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we look at a not expensive player : Hartenstein was quite good with LAC. Bamba, Smith could be affordable. We'll see but yes spurs are pretty quiet. With Detroit having less money, the Spurs are one of the few teams who can control that free agency.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we look at a not expensive player : Hartenstein was quite good with LAC. Bamba, Smith could be affordable. We'll see but yes spurs are pretty quiet. With Detroit having less money, the Spurs are one of the few teams who can control that free agency.
    It's a good point. Most teams don't have available cash, and with the Dejounte trade rumors, the Spurs could dominate the rumors for free agency. It's kind of hilarious.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There’s no way to prove from that team to a championship contender. You’ll have no cap room, and not even any late lottery picks, only ones from 15-20 or so. It’s the definition of a treadmill team.
    Disagree tbh. You've got an interesting group of rookies coming in along with a still developing Primo/Vasell/Keldon. If one of those guys hits then the ceiling rises. If 2-3 turn out to be solid, then you've gotten more interesting trade pieces for an impact player in a year or two.

it's a better gamble than cashing Murray in for a bunch of picks in the 15-20 range tbh. If you tell me there's a shot they get a top 3-5 pick in next year's draft then I'll listen but I don't see anybody giving that up or the Spurs being bad enough without DJ to be in that range.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ me too, but I feel that won’t come out until he’s on his next team.

I’m increasingly of the view that if they don’t get a godfather for Murray soon, they offer the guy the max offer sheet, and figure it out later. In two years his max deal won’t look like a max after the tv deal, and he may be easier to move if things go sideways.
    Giving Ayton max money would be a huge mistake. The kid is talented but his style of play just isn't for this era. His postup game is nice but of marginal factor in today's NBA. His lack of floor spacing isn't ideal either. But, most important of all, his lack of mobility on the perimeter hurts the defense when opposing teams target him.

Poelt for his current price >>>>>>>>> Ayton for max money.

I don't know why some folks are so fixated with this guy. He would provide marginal improvement, if anything at all, to this Spurs' roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like this overall and prefer it to jettisoning DJM at this time. I think I'm down with Jalen Smith despite some bad metrics. I'd have to take a closer look. I tend to favor keeping JRich. A very young team needs a steadying hand from a veteran, one who knows the ropes about how to be and act as a professional. By all accounts this is a great group of young guys, but having someone around like that is invaluable.
    Yeah I REALLY like JRich so if he is the teams young OG vet the youth rally around so be it, but my hope is that the ~20mm in cap we inevitably rent out for draft capital brings along another vet or two to fill that void meaning we can get something for JRich and hopefully send him to a contender.

Thread Information