Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Going after Lavine if we trade Dejounte would make zero sense for the Spurs, and even less so for Lavine. We can't go for a top free agent and rebuild, or we'll neither contend nor improve. Can't have it both ways.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still want to know what happened between Ayton and Willaims during the Game 7 meltdown against Dallas. Williams is a class guy and seems easy to get along with, yet Ayton did something to get in his doghouse second half of an elimination game.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ me too, but I feel that won’t come out until he’s on his next team.

I’m increasingly of the view that if they don’t get a godfather for Murray soon, they offer the guy the max offer sheet, and figure it out later. In two years his max deal won’t look like a max after the tv deal, and he may be easier to move if things go sideways.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gonna be an interesting next 36hrs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Going after Lavine if we trade Dejounte would make zero sense for the Spurs, and even less so for Lavine. We can't go for a top free agent and rebuild, or we'll neither contend nor improve. Can't have it both ways.
    Unless he falls in our lap the Lavine ship has sailed regardless. With two more potentially high upside 2s drafted and no clear path to contention Lavine probably isn’t on their radar unless Chicago really s up and Lavine really wants to come here, which I doubt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All said and done, "11) If the Spurs aren’t active in the free agent market, expect them to do what they did last summer: make trades in which they absorb unwanted contracts in return for draft picks. That worked out really well last offseason so it’s possible that the Spurs want to travel down that path once again. "

This..I think is the best route.. for the following reasons -

1) No Free Agent really fills a glaring need at the cost that free agent is available for.
    2) The Spurs have a leader in Dejounte Murray, three starter-level/above replacement players in Keldon, Richardson and Vassell, a good center rotation in Poeltl and Collins and Sochan will fill the most glaring need - a defensive minded, switchable, high energy and tall PF who will complement the core in his first season. The rest of the Spurs squad is a mix of role players and developmental assets. This set is good enough to again threaten reaching the play-in while some of the key players (Keldon and Vassell) can be expected to make the next leap. The Spurs are in a way a year away from being the Grizzlies of 2021-22.
    3) By trading Richardson, McDermott and if push comes to shove, Poeltl, the Spurs can garner more assets for next year's draft. They just need to know where they stand with the current group. If the current group flops and Spurs are stuck in the 12-15 spot, they should just trade all of Poeltl, McDermott and Richardson and tank to get in a position to get Wembayama. If they do better and are around the 8-11 spot, they might just continue what they did in 2021-22 and try the mixed approach of trying to reach the playoffs while garnering assets by trading Richardson and McDermott and whichever player they have managed to get to rent in their cap space for a contender to buy later

If the Spurs decide to give up Murray because of an enticing set of future assets and draft picks.. they should target Tyus Jones in the free agency who can compete with his brother for the starter's role. And they can pursue the same approach as 3) without Murray.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep...if we offer Lavine we're keeping DJ... I can't see that going any other way...that could even be the holdup on the trade...maybe they want to see what Chicago does with Lavine before pulling the trigger on trading DJ? My first option was always adding players better than DJ to play alongside him and Lavine fits that bill. I can't imagine Chicago won't max him though...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only big move I could see is a sign and trade with Ayton and Poodle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With Phoenix, there's far less belief the Suns will ultimately match whatever offer Ayton can draw. The relationships between him and Phoenix's other primary actors—most notably head coach Monty Williams and point guard Chris Paul—seem untenable for an Ayton return. But there aren't many looming possibilities for him to find the maximum contract he is said to desire.

San Antonio, with its Murray conversations, appears willing to steer more towards a rebuild than offer a hefty salary. Perhaps the Raptors are the team that presents Deandre Ayton with the lucrative deal he covets, but Toronto could only afford such a contract by swinging a sign-and-trade for Ayton. Toronto continues to monitor the availability of several elite centers, sources said, including Utah Jazz All-Star Rudy Gobert.
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...alik-monk-more

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still want to know what happened between Ayton and Willaims during the Game 7 meltdown against Dallas. Williams is a class guy and seems easy to get along with, yet Ayton did something to get in his doghouse second half of an elimination game.
    I heard some reports that Monty basically wanted Ayton to take a backseat role on offense and focus more on just defense and rebounding so that guys like Booker, Paul, and Bridges could be the primary scorers. Apparently that didn't sit well with Ayton, who wants to be a 1A or 1B option.

Read from that what you will, but to OP's point....Pop and Monty are built from the same cloth. If Ayton truly doesn't believe in Coach Williams, I'm not sure if he would expect any different treatment from Pop who basically molded Williams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It took PATFO about 2 days to kill any good vibes from the Draft, pretty impressive tbh

It's amazing how directionless this franchise still is almost 4+ years after Kawhi/Dennis dunked all over them. Caring about what Monty thinks when you'd literally be signing away one of their guys, jesus christ

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. DJ will be traded for the best haul
    2. Will rent cap space for picks later
    3. No big names signing
    4. Will run the same squad last year including Lonnie

Now FO prove me wrong.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It took PATFO about 2 days to kill any good vibes from the Draft, pretty impressive tbh

It's amazing how directionless this franchise still is almost 4+ years after Kawhi/Dennis dunked all over them. Caring about what Monty thinks when you'd literally be signing away one of their guys, jesus christ
    Franchise is nutless, and all in the name of "class". How has class helped this team in FA again? Other than the LMA signing 7 ing years ago?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. DJ will be traded for the best haul
    2. Will rent cap space for picks later
    3. No big names signing
    4. Will run the same squad last year including Lonnie

Now FO prove me wrong.
    they didnt prove you wrong already when they didnt draft Jalen Johnson? When they didnt draft Johnny Davis? When they didnt trade Murray for Simmons last year? When they didnt draft Duren (and you subsequently cried over and over in the draft thread about how the Spurs dont know what theyre doing)?

if we want to know what the Spurs are actually doing, we just need to read your thousands of posts about the same damn thing and think the opposite is happening

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Franchise is nutless, and all in the name of "class". How has class helped this team in FA again? Other than the LMA signing 7 ing years ago?
    I don't see how asking for an overpay on DJ and holding your ground can be described as nutless....I mean if they cave and send him for Collins and 3 lottery protected picks I'd get it but so far they seem to have dug in..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wasn't the story that Ayton didn't want to go back into what was turning into a slaughter?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    they didnt prove you wrong already when they didnt draft Jalen Johnson? When they didnt draft Johnny Davis? When they didnt trade Murray for Simmons last year? When they didnt draft Duren (and you subsequently cried over and over in the draft thread about how the Spurs dont know what theyre doing)?

if we want to know what the Spurs are actually doing, we just need to read your thousands of posts about the same damn thing and think the opposite is happening
    haha John B is a walking contrarian indicator. Short everything he posts with a 100% success rate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Throwing a contract at Ayton just to "figure it out later" seems like a really bad idea and the type the Spurs have been chary to do. They're not exactly a fire hose with money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I don’t see Spurs drafted your boys Jalen Williams, Eason, Alondes, Duarte, Sengun. I got news for you… we’re on the same boat

Nobody’s forcing you to read my posts. Lighten up bruh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I posted about it, I think in the Ayton thread, like 2 or 3 days after the finals ended. I don't remember precisely but it was something to do with what he perceived as poor usage of him. Then a comment for which Monty took offense.

It's stuff that happens on every NBA roster, just so happens on this case, it was the build up in the finals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As expected.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    haha John B is a walking contrarian indicator. Short everything he posts with a 100% success rate.
    I’m just going to get disappointed with the lamest moves. Spurs are standing pat. It’s force of habit

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jake Fischer is either the new Shams or this guy is completely full of . Only way he would know this imo is if he got intel from the Hawks org.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t see Spurs drafted your boys Jalen Williams, Eason, Alondes, Duarte, Sengun. I got news for you… we’re on the same boat

Nobody’s forcing you to read my posts. Lighten up bruh
    The difference is, the number of times I’ve posted about any of those guys (and I barely posted about Sengun, Eason, Alondes btw) is a fraction compared to yours. You’re in every thread posting about guys that aren’t even the subject matter in some of them.

The only bone I’ll throw you is that you provide unwavering enthusiasm about the Spurs and the forum needs it when there’s a lot of negative nancies on this board. You provide balance. Just tone it the down with redundant posts. Thank you.

Thread Information