Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    ......................... mystargtr34's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So whats the live 10 man rotation look like atm (obviously more changes to come during FA period).

Primo/Jones
    Vassell/Branham
    Keldon/Richardson
    Sochan/McDermott or KBD
    Poeltl/Collins

If the Spurs go full rebuild mode and trade Jakob, Richardson and McDermott which is expected then you could slot in Wesley into the 10 man rotation in the backcourt.

25 wins imo in the above scenario and good shot at Webangyourmama.

30 wins if no other moves are made.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually I think the above team with Jakob and Richardson could win 35 with the internal improvement between Primo, Vassell, Keldon and additions of Sochan and Branham. But keeping Jakob would be stupid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo/ Tre/ Wesley
    Vassell/ Lonnie/ Branham
    Keldon/ JRich/ Wieskamp
    Sochan/ McDermott/ KBD
    Poeltl/ Collins/ Landale

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Suppose Murray leaving does open the door for Lonnie to return. Wonder if he does.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't like the trade and keep saying I would have wanted a young player being the centerpiece of it, which would limit the downside. Picks only is a huge gamble. Still, objectively there are a lot of positives and negatives.

The last two similar deals, where teams traded an all star caliber player for a picks package were James Harden to Brooklyn - 4 firsts and 4 swaps - and Jrue - 3 firsts ( one was a late FRP and another one is protected 1-4) and 2 swaps. The Murray deal lands in the middle, which is probably slightly better than fair market value. It's taking a chance that at least one of those unprotected picks or swaps hits. It could end up being an awesome deal similar to how Boston got Tatum and Brown, or it could be a few late firsts similar to what Pelicans are likely to receive for Jrue.

This is why it's absolutely impossible to rate the deal right now and very strong opinions either way are purely emotional, rather than rational.

That said, until the trade, there were only 4 teams owing any unprotected picks or swaps - Philly, Brooklyn, Lakers and Clippers - all of them projected to be at or near championship contender status in the near future. Atlanta isn't anywhere near that even after getting DJ. Moreover, this trade practically kills any chance they might have of landing another difference maker in a trade or free agency for a long time. There's undoubtedly more chance that some of the Atlanta picks hit than any of the aforementioned 4 teams'.

Yet, I still don't like it. I never wanted to go the OKC route, especially with the flattened odds. I know a lot of ST folks adored what OKC were doing , so I expected way more would be happy with the deal. I guess it's easier to enjoy it from afar than having to suffer losing assets and watching your team lose for years. At least we now know the team has a clear direction. Let's hope for the excitement of many trades, being lucky with ping pong balls and hopefully that Atlanta implode within a couple of years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Suppose Murray leaving does open the door for Lonnie to return. Wonder if he does.
    , I'd retain him, start him at PG, and play him 40 mins a night. Should help the Spurs in their race to the worst record in the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's important to know that Windhorst is either lying, or Klutch antagonistic for no reason. Murray couldn't sign a contract this year.

Murray's third anniversary from his extension is 10/22/2022. The first day of the season this year is 10/18/2022 (for various reasons, the regular season is expected to begin on that date rather than 10/25, but I actually wasn't able to determine for sure). Because the Spurs waited until the last minute, Murray's window won't open up until after the end of the regular season. I mentioned this a couple of days ago when lamenting the team's inability to renegotiate and extend him. But it's not okay for Klutch to not know an extension wasn't possible in the first place. Maybe they didn't but I think it's something that "seems like it would be true" more than it was actually true. If that did happen, it is a pointless bit of thorniness considering that the extension is most likely impossible.
    I may be completely wrong, however, doesn't the rule state that he could be extended until the day before the season begins (third anniversary after extension) - regardless of the exact date the new season would begin. This is how I understand it, at least the spirit of the rule. Thus, Murray could have theoretically been extended in the last moment, just before the 2022/23 season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    , I'd retain him, start him at PG, and play him 40 mins a night. Should help the Spurs in their race to the worst record in the league.

Yup, let him score 20 a night as we win 15-20 games I couldn't care less

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Funny to see a lot of the “logical” posters get overwhelmed with emotions and engage in hyperventilating but we all have our battles and this one isn’t mine.

Beyond that, look, I appreciate DJM’s time here. But after the emotions subside, I see this moment as a sea change in the Spurs FO. In retrospect, Brian Wright likely gritted his teeth through the DDR era so Pop could get his record. Wright is putting his stamp on the team. His type of players and doing it his way. Sure, I think getting OO would have been nice but I don’t follow him closely so don’t have a hard opinion. DJM, bottom line just doesn’t seem like the players Wright targets and now he has the power to shake that up.

I’m not so much impressed with the trade (though ut looks to be the best we could get) but with the idea that this is no longer completely Pop’s team anymore.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs can then flip him for a solid player and a draft pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Funny to see a lot of the “logical” posters get overwhelmed with emotions and engage in hyperventilating but we all have our battles and this one isn’t mine.

Beyond that, look, I appreciate DJM’s time here. But after the emotions subside, I see this moment as a sea change in the Spurs FO. In retrospect, Brian Wright likely gritted his teeth through the DDR era so Pop could get his record. Wright is putting his stamp on the team. His type of players and doing it his way. Sure, I think getting OO would have been nice but I don’t follow him closely so don’t have a hard opinion. DJM, bottom line just doesn’t seem like the players Wright targets and now he has the power to shake that up.

I’m not so much impressed with the trade (though ut looks to be the best we could get) but with the idea that this is no longer completely Pop’s team anymore.
    Lol, who's making stupid, emotional statements?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now if the 2023 protected CHA pick is a lottery pick we lose doesn't it just become a 2024 unprotected pick?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Changes to 2024 1-14 protected

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and then what after 2024 if it doesn't convey? Turns into two seconds or one second?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was just looking at the standings from this season just gone and the Spurs have a real chance of finishing with a bottom three worst record in the league next year . Getting frothy at the thought of Wembanyama.

https://www.espn.com/nba/standings

In the West, every team that finished above the Spurs is almost certainly going to finish above the Spurs again, with the only wildcard being Utah who may look to blow it up but that's unlikely.

Then you look at the teams below the Spurs. Lakers, Kings, Blazers, Thunder, Rockets. Lets assume the Spurs will win 30 games. The Lakers are a given to finish with more wins, the Kings are ty as usual but with a full pre-season of Sabonis and Fox together and adding Keegan Murray they should win more than 30 and may get up to 35-40. The Blazers will be back in playoff contention with Lillard, Grant and Nurkic. The Thunder will likely finish between 25-35 wins depending on the health of SGA, the improvement of Giddey and the impact Chet makes. The Rockets could jump up to 25-30 wins from 20 if Jalen Green takes a leap, plus the addition of Jabari Smith and older rookies such as Eason and Washington.

Then out East, you'd think the Magic (22 wins) and Pistons (23) could improve to 30-35 wins with Banchero and Ivey and Cunningham in his second year. The Pacers (25) may still be ty and win less than 30 imo, they don't have much. The Knicks (37) and Wizards (35) shouldn't go backwards too much. Everyone else in the East will be better than the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can't win a championship without 2-3 All-Stars. Murray was a little iffy as an All-Star. He was getting scoring stats because he was the first and only option so he was putting up the majority of the shots.

There is no one else in sight on this roster that is a guaranteed natural All-star, so you aren't going to have the required 2-3 All Stars within the timeframe of Murray's career and contract expectations. Spurs are simply moving into position to swing for the fences in a future draft or two in the hope of landing some All-star potential in a lucky draft position in the first round.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the hawks made the playoffs this season . They improved immensely and arent al of a sudden a lottery team
    Are you really this dense? The year before, the were in the ing EASTERN CONFERENCE FINALS. They most certainly did NOT improve immensely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you really this dense? The year before, the were in the ing EASTERN CONFERENCE FINALS. They most certainly did NOT improve immensely.
    I think he is arguing they just improved immensely after this trade.

Anything can happen but hard to see that 2025 pick being that valuable but I agree with yohr earlier sentiments the further out the picks the better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hate the trade

hate it

I’ve thought about it and I understand it but I still hate it.
    +1

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and then what after 2024 if it doesn't convey? Turns into two seconds or one second?
    2025, 1-14 protected. If it doesn’t convey in 2025, it then becomes 2 SRPs.

Steve Clifford just returned to the coaching job in CHA. He has a pretty good record of getting teams into the playoffs, 4 times in 8 years, and his teams have never missed 3 years in a row. People were freaking out about the Toronto pick, only having two shots, and we got it the first year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he is arguing they just improved immensely after this trade.

Anything can happen but hard to see that 2025 pick being that valuable but I agree with yohr earlier sentiments the further out the picks the better.
    Dejounte comes off their books in 2024, Collins in 2025, both unrestricted. I wouldn’t consider either to be a lock to re-sign, especially if they struggle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dejounte comes off their books in 2024, Collins in 2025, both unrestricted. I wouldn’t consider either to be a lock to re-sign, especially if they struggle.
    Yeah I’m with you on that. I think the ATL picks and pick swap were an appropriate return but the the Galo part is frustrating as we are likely eating 15mm in a buyout. Eating 15mm is worth the CHA FRP alone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those are Schrödinger picks.

Both great and . We will find out which eventually.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brian Windhorst: Dejounte Murray wasn't going to sign extension with San Antonio

However, ESPN’s Brian Windhorst reported that the Spurs decided to part ways with Murray because it was inevitable that they’d lose the 25-year-old. “He and his agent, Rich Paul, made it known that he was not going to extend his contract with the Spurs this summer,” Windhorst said on The Hoop Collective podcast. – via Doric Sam @ Bleacher Report

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brian Windhorst: Dejounte Murray wasn't going to sign extension with San Antonio

However, ESPN’s Brian Windhorst reported that the Spurs decided to part ways with Murray because it was inevitable that they’d lose the 25-year-old. “He and his agent, Rich Paul, made it known that he was not going to extend his contract with the Spurs this summer,” Windhorst said on The Hoop Collective podcast. – via Doric Sam @ Bleacher Report
    As usual media misleading fans who aren’t in tune to understand what really is going on.

The value of Dejounte’s eligable extension was 3yrs/70mm.

He is worth closer to 30mm currently. Why would he sign an extension? Klutch was spot on advising his client not to sign that. That doesn’t preclude the Spurs from being able to retain DJ at market value in 2024 when he enters free agency.

The Sours obviously wanted DJ in a discount deal because “it’s the Spurs way”

Such bull . You finally get an AS level player who wants to be here and you cheap out. This wasn’t about tanking for VW it was about the Spurs being cheap.

Meanwhile coach Pop makes insane money for a coach to lose games.

Thread Information