Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any insight on to why the spurs would consider trading him? Klutch sports? Extension?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any insight on to why the spurs would consider trading him? Klutch sports? Extension?
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...on-this-summer

Klutch did it again

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with DPG that the Spurs should of have asked for OO than the Hornets pick. At least we get a pretty good center if we don’t win the Victor lottery. Outside of that I’m fine with the trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So…..should I cancel my league pass this year?

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray would have been a moron to sign an extension early with how much of a pay cut it would have been from his market value. I understand trading him if he said he was going to walk in 2024 but being smart enough to not sign cheap in 2023 doesn't mean he's gone in 2024.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dejounte already took down all his Spurs pictures on IG

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with DPG that the Spurs should of have asked for OO than the Hornets pick. At least we get a pretty good center if we don’t win the Victor lottery. Outside of that I’m fine with the trade.
    Makes no sense at all to hold on to Poetl right now. His trade value is as high as it'll ever be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First kawhi,then demar,dejounte and probably kj. Spurs stingy af

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl most certainly gone. I'd expect Keldon gone. I'm not sure why they drafted anybody this year, tbh, they shoud have traded them for future assets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm pretty sure spurs are targeting hartenstein in free agency.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Makes no sense at all to hold on to Poetl right now. His trade value is as high as it'll ever be.
    Agree you are getting at least a first for Poeltl.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still cannot believe, that SA with the young under contract all star and a bidding war, walked away with ABSOLUTELY ZERO for sure good assets

I get unprotected picks are valuable, but they are so far away and even then not a guarantee that a SINGLE one is lottery level.

How on Earth, was OO not included in this deal WITH all the picks. Makes no sense. If they say no, walk away and trade DJ later. That’s the point of having multi year contracts.

This is the type of deal I would expect if there were no other bidders and DJ was toxic. Reading that there were multiple teams and the still couldn’t get OO? I truly dont get it timvp. Care to comment on your thoughts?

The should have easily been able to take out the ChA pick for OO - and told ATL sorry if they said no.

Ya, on one hand if getting OO makes the deal REALLY GOOD, its hard to complain to much, but SA was the one with the young all star and a bidding war. How do they not hold firm?

Not getting Collins instead of Gallo was a mistake. He has wayyyy more value than Gallo in a trade. If Gallo is now fully guaranteed and they dont even clear any extra cap space? So bad.

CHA pick is GUARANTEED not to be a lottery pick so what was the value there? We’ve seen SA cant trade non-lotto picks very easily to move up to more meaningful picks so whats the point of having a ton of those vs getting OO? It’s just silly, even though the trade makes sense too and has significant upside.
    How many teams haven't been to the lottery at all in the past three years? Eight. Only four have made the playoffs five times in a row, and only one has done it more than six times. It's actually not very likely that Atlanta will avoid conveying a lotto pick three years in a row to SA. Spurs fans don't tend to appreciate it for obvious reasons, but franchises tend not to be stable. In order for Atlanta to both benefit from the trade and avoid giving the Spurs a lotto pick, they'd have to make the playoffs seven years in a row. That's extremely unlikely. Right off the bat, the picks have more value than some people might fear.

Unprotected picks also allow the Spurs to trade way more of their assets that they could before. For example, the Spurs could trade each of their natural picks from 2024 all the way to 2028 without having to worry about the Stepien rule. That's not a huge thing now, but obviously it can be down the road. Those 2026 and 2028 picks are also enhanced because they come with swap rights. You're not betting on the Spurs being bad; you're betting on at least one of the Spurs or Hawks/Celtics being bad. Those are much better odds, which removes much of the downsides of the pick while adding upside. The Spurs are also able to use the unprotected firsts for swaps instead of their natural picks. So if they make another trade that involves a ton of picks coming from a team, they can, instead of offering a swap between their pick and that other team's pick, they can get the two best of their pick, ATL's pick and the new team's pick. That almost happened last year, when the Rockets barely avoided OKC being able to swap Houston's pick with Boston's that year.

There are 17 unprotected picks/swaps in the NBA right now, and the Spurs have three of them. And this is not counting Boston's top-1 protected swap. They are a rare commodity, and SA is probably third behind OKC and NOP in terms of their collection, and they've been doing this for less than a year. It's why I was telling folks to not freak out about the Spurs "not picking a direction" two years ago. It's easy to collect assets when you're rebuilding. They weren't going to miss their chance just because guys like Gay, Mills and even LMA didn't get moved for value.

As I said in another post, I think things were significantly rockier between Murray and the Spurs than we knew. Credit goes out to DJM and Klutch for keeping everything in house, and I don't think there's bad blood or anything. But I don't think the front office saw him the same way as the marketing team did. I don't think they believe him leaving is the blow a lot of us perceived it as. They MIGHT miss out on a higher return if he has another All-Star season. But they might've missed out on three years of complete control of another team's picks if Murray didn't put it together or if the buyers moved on or had bad starts to the season. I'm all about leverage and hope the Spurs did everything they could to bring in OO too, but I also understand why they wanted to do this cleanly and move on.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First kawhi,then demar,dejounte and probably kj. Spurs stingy af
    Doesn’t really have to do with stingy, rules won’t allow them to pay him what he’d be worth.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We are not trading Keldon lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    do people not know how the league runs? San Antonio will not keep any good players without overpaying. we have to embrace the chaos. Y'all act like we sent murray to a glue farm or something.

Keeping players like Murray on high salary is what makes you into a sacremento. The spurs will be smarter than OKC or process Philly, we can hope.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We are not trading Keldon lol
    not this year, but probably? he's a nice role player who shoots well but doesn't have a natural position. Rich man's Bertans TBQH

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This I agree with...extract that value now..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nobody in his position would extend early though, thats not a reason to trade someone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    do people not know how the league runs? San Antonio will not keep any good players without overpaying. we have to embrace the chaos. Y'all act like we sent murray to a glue farm or something.

Keeping players like Murray on high salary is what makes you into a sacremento. The spurs will be smarter than OKC or process Philly, we can hope.
    No, drafting Marvin Bagley ahead of Luka Doncic and Jimmer Fredette ahead of Klay Thompson and blowing a #8 pick on Nik Stauskas is what makes you into a Sacramento.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl most certainly gone. I'd expect Keldon gone. I'm not sure why they drafted anybody this year, tbh, they shoud have traded them for future assets.
    The part I bolded is a bit extreme--almost pouty--isn't it? You sound as if no one in the Spurs record has a record of making ANY good choices as all. From a certain point of view, it could be said that the Spurs are betting on themselves to Identify better talent than Murray. I dig it. And I think they are capable. I'm sure people will call me a homer or whatever, but I'm not so sure that Dejounte and Trae are gonna shock and awe the league for the next years. Those unprotected picks in 3-4 years could just as easily be top picks given that the Hawks for sure don't have a recent history worth much at all. I'm not sold on the Hawks at all. Trae played terribly in these recent playoffs and DJ is not a max player. I think we are building a war chest, and we have a front office that knows how to use one. Also, there's the shot at Victor next year. No reason to jump off a cliff. Brahnam, Keldon, Vassell, Sochan, Primo, and Wesley, might just be good enough to stomp a mudhole in the Hawks asses by then as well. None of us know. That's why it's fun to watch and root. Cheers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nobody in his position would extend early though, thats not a reason to trade someone.
    Sounds like the Spurs expected a hometown discount and panicked when they found out they weren't going to get one and that Murray would be looking to get paid his market value. I wish him the best in Atlanta and hope they don't cheap out like it looks like the Spurs did. Get your money Dejounte.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Twitter is animated now with so many posts from fans of other teams assuming that Poeltl and KJ are there for the taking...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Better than the Jrue package. ATL overpayed because this could be a huge disaster for them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Twitter is animated now with so many posts from fans of other teams assuming that Poeltl and KJ are there for the taking...
    They are tbh. No one on this roster is untradeable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, drafting Marvin Bagley ahead of Luka Doncic and Jimmer Fredette ahead of Klay Thompson and blowing a #8 pick on Nik Stauskas is what makes you into a Sacramento.
    Honestly though, how hard is it to draft and develop a high usage fringe all-star? Or even to pay the max for one (which is what it would take to keep him in two yrs)?

There's a ton of them out there.

Thread Information