Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    exactly. Maybe you should learn how to read since you still haven't found the mistake
    Seriously? Maybe you should learn how to interpret what someone says. He wasn't going to remain a Spur, wasn't going to sign an extension and he wanted out. It's all the same .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seriously? Maybe you should learn how to interpret what someone says. He wasn't going to remain a Spur, wasn't going to sign an extension and he wanted out. It's all the same .
    an extension and a new contract is not the same thing. The difference is about 20 million dollars per year idiot

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    an extension and a new contract is not the same thing. The difference is about 20 million dollars per year idiot
    Hey DumbAss, he didn't want to play for the Spurs anymore. He wanted a chance to win a Championship and wasn't going to stay. He & Mighty Mouse had been talking about playing together and the Spurs made it happen for him. He sure as wasn't getting that money here because he isn't worth it and wasn't going to get paid by a franchise who knows what his ceiling is. Done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess you also believe in the tooth fairy. What are you gonna say now? Wright was lying?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess you also believe in the tooth fairy. What are you gonna say now? Wright was lying?

Let's start here:

Here’s what we learned about the Hawks on Friday afternoon:

• Murray said he’s been talking to Young for roughly two to three weeks about the possibility of teaming up. “He wanted it as much as I wanted it,” Murray said.

By remarkable coincidence, the Hawks approach the Spurs about a trade for Dejounte and Murray's representatives remind the Spurs what they already know - Murray isn't signing the extension.

If you don't think they informed Wright that Murray wanted to go to Atlanta AND he preferred to be in a win now scenario, you're the one who believes in the tooth fairy.

If you don't think Trae Young's feelings had any impact on Atlanta sweetening their offer for Murray (a ridiculous 3 first round picks for essentially a "meh" player), you're clueless.

The Spurs have to be feeling like bandits after getting that package back for him. The Hawks overpaid big time for a non-difference maker who can defend and rebound but can't shoot.

The Spurs roster is essentially a collection of hot garbage & good role players at best. They are in desperate need of real talent that can win games. Because of their youth and the time it will take to see what they have, the Spurs aren't going to waste money pursuing current free agents. They won't come here to be part of rebuild.

For all his talk about "We", Murray has always been full of and a "Me" first player who said everything right in front of the camera. Eric might be on to something about Murray's at ude and playing social media games. Who knows? It doesn't matter, dude wasn't going to be here & he told the Spurs as much.

So yeah, on to all the bull Thank You's on Social Media, talk of Spurs family forever and the inevitable video montage they'll give him when he returns. It's all PR nonsense. There's a handful of members in here (me included) that aren't sorry to see him go. I won't be surprised at all if the Spurs end up winning more games without him. Count Lonnie Walker's departure as another reason why they'll be better too. He brought nothing but inconsistency and frustration along with the occasional flashes of what the Spurs hoped he good be. Good riddance.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t really like the the return on the trade now. If the Spurs end up with a top 5 pick next year while giving young players some run I’ll be higher on the return. But overall I’m glad to not be stuck in Washington’s situation where they just keep paying Beal and not doing anything productive in the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's start here:

Here’s what we learned about the Hawks on Friday afternoon:

• Murray said he’s been talking to Young for roughly two to three weeks about the possibility of teaming up. “He wanted it as much as I wanted it,” Murray said.

By remarkable coincidence, the Hawks approach the Spurs about a trade for Dejounte and Murray's representatives remind the Spurs what they already know - Murray isn't signing the extension.

If you don't think they informed Wright that Murray wanted to go to Atlanta AND he preferred to be in a win now scenario, you're the one who believes in the tooth fairy.

If you don't think Trae Young's feelings had any impact on Atlanta sweetening their offer for Murray (a ridiculous 3 first round picks for essentially a "meh" player), you're clueless.

The Spurs have to be feeling like bandits after getting that package back for him. The Hawks overpaid big time for a non-difference maker who can defend and rebound but can't shoot.

The Spurs roster is essentially a collection of hot garbage & good role players at best. They are in desperate need of real talent that can win games. Because of their youth and the time it will take to see what they have, the Spurs aren't going to waste money pursuing current free agents. They won't come here to be part of rebuild.

For all his talk about "We", Murray has always been full of and a "Me" first player who said everything right in front of the camera. Eric might be on to something about Murray's at ude and playing social media games. Who knows? It doesn't matter, dude wasn't going to be here & he told the Spurs as much.

So yeah, on to all the bull Thank You's on Social Media, talk of Spurs family forever and the inevitable video montage they'll give him when he returns. It's all PR nonsense. There's a handful of members in here (me included) that aren't sorry to see him go. I won't be surprised at all if the Spurs end up winning more games without him. Count Lonnie Walker's departure as another reason why they'll be better too. He brought nothing but inconsistency and frustration along with the occasional flashes of what the Spurs hoped he good be. Good riddance.
    Oh you are one of the "instagram balller" guys. I get it Haters gonna hate

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He may or may not have been a fit but d for sure this inept front office botched another star trade or release. Time for change at the very top of a once proud now pathetically run team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh you are one of the "instagram balller" guys. I get it Haters gonna hate
    Posers gonna pose. You're just easily distracted by shiny items and glitter. He had no substance. Atlanta won't win, neither will the Spurs but they'll have draft capital to at least try and rebuild. ATL sold their souls and future for Instagram Baller. I'm liking this trade more and more.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe other people have speculated this, I've only skimmed the thread

But I believe the Spurs when they say that they didn't go into the summer looking to trade Dejounte. Because I buy into them not having a grand plan. They don't know what they're doing. And I stress 'know', not inasmuch as intelligence, but we in being deliberate. People think they've chosen to tank and have things in motion. "oh, they added Jock and pulled Lonnie's offer, they're up to something!"

No, they aren't up to anything. People who should have known better really thought that pulling Lonnie's offer meant something big was about to happen, despite a long history of them not screwing over players like Morey would.

But anyways, I think this trade can be traced back to Dejounte publicly recruiting Lavine. There's no way he does that if he didn't picture himself in San Antonio long term at the time. That's him committing to the future of the team and taking a leadership role that is the norm in the modern NBA, recruiting players. And it happened weeks before any talking with Trae Young happened based on public timelines.

That's where things went south I believe.

That's where the culture clash happened, and long story short, when the FO didn't have his back behind closed doors, that's when he concluded things weren't going too happen in SA like he thought he needed them to, and he started looking elsewhere.

Because i can easily see the braintrust of Pop, Wright, and RC with his personal Uber driver then FLIPPING OUT over Dejounte posting or linking or liking a LaVine in a Spurs jersey picture. THAT'S NOT THE SPURS WAY! That's not humble and over yourself, that's not quiet or meek, that's seeking attention and ego-driven or other nonsense.

I'm sure there was an all hands on deck meeting over how to handle it, they probably were even called by the league office to have to explain or deny their role in it. Which then would have led to them having to talk to Dejounte and explain the Spurs way. Which I'm sure would have led to a discussion over what they were planning to do this summer, which turns out might be what they did last summer: nothing but questionable contracts and second rate cap eating for picks.

I'm sure their lack of enthusiasm for chasing dreams or big moves was like a bucket of cold water poured on his hot tempered head. And if they weren't as committed to winning or even making bigger moves to improve the roster, then he would have to go look for that somewhere else. Little did he know that he was punching his own ticket by recruiting other players.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was far more practical than salacious as many are portraying it. In a sense, he was a victim of his own success because his leap crystalized a hazy situation by making is so they were on divergent paths.

As a complimentary/fringe star, it wasn't sensible to attempt to speed up their timeline and there was no realistic (Ayton and Collins are a cut under fringe s om and Anunoby is an elite role player) trade that would have led to a quantum leap anyway.

This notion of "they're still not tanking" is nonsense. This is now the projected worst team in the league, likely to widen the gap with a presumed Poeltl trade.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe he asked for a trade, but also, he is not top-guy-on-the-team material.

Also, having come to the opinion that he asked for a trade, I no longer feel hesitant about bashing him for his flaws. He got a lot of steals, but he can't guard and Atlanta's defense will not be any better. I'm hoping Keldon, Devin, and Primo take turns busting his ass on the court.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We had at least another year to determine his value.

This trade will be easier to swallow if they are actually committed to tanking. We’d be naive to think that is a given. We also likely just ate 15-20mm in Galo just to buy him out.
    Actually, like $12M, which is less than DJ’s contract, and created some space to use for trade partnering.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, like $12M, which is less than DJ’s contract, and created some space to use for trade partnering.
    I wrote that figure before it was announced his guarantee was upped and date pushed back to facilitate the trade. That was my expectation of his buyout.

Thus far they appear committed to a direction so easier to swallow.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    presumed Poeltl trade.
    Why is there a presumed Poeltl trade?

Could they trade Poeltl? Absolutely. Would it help a tank direction without his rim protection? Of course. Should they trade him? Sure seems like a lot of fans would be happy to see it to get better lottery odds.

But why is it 'presumed'? To an observer, it makes logical sense. Spurs better off in long term with tanking : Spurs trade Murray for future picks : Spurs must therefore be tanking : Spurs must then trade Poeltl.

But I look at the moves they've made, it's not so cut and dry. Last year could have been seen as a tanking year: move on from DeRozan, Mills, Gay : Spurs going young to both tank and see what they have. Spurs sign injured Zach Collins, fits in with tanking. They go on to trade guys like White and others, getting picks for the tank.

But then they also signed McDermott. A 30 year old role player. If they had set that money aside they could have squeezed multiple first round picks with trades.

So while they might trade Poeltl, I wouldn't presume it. Doesn't seem like a lot of teams in the market to pay what a center like him should be worth. Are they going to take a 'bad' deal just to tank? They don't seem willing to sit healthy players to tank like OKC, so I don't know if they're willing to just get back a second round pick or something else lackluster.

The past few days I feel like I've seen some "this doesn't make sense" lines from people expecting big moves or tank moves or youth signings ... Because they think they know the direction the Spurs are taking. So many posts, "Well, at least they chose a direction with this trade!"

But then the questions start. Why did they do the Dejounte deal so soon? Why tender Lonnie then pull the offer in hours? Why not sign Jalen Smith when the room exception would be higher than his Indiana deal and they could do it with no impact on their cap room?

I won't be surprised if they trade Poeltl but also won't be surprised if they keep Poeltl into next summer. And I won't be surprised if they take him to next summer and let him walk in free agency. People here will be posting, "It doesn't make sense. Should have traded him last summer and improved our odds, now we're stuck at pick 6 after the lottery!". That's just the way it is. I think they make their moves according their own internal inscrutable logic. Instances where their moves line up with public expectation are probably coincidental rather than predictable like the movement of celestial bodies.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why is there a presumed Poeltl trade?

But then they also signed McDermott. A 30 year old role player. If they had set that money aside they could have squeezed multiple first round picks with trades.

But then the questions start. Why did they do the Dejounte deal so soon? Why tender Lonnie then pull the offer in hours? Why not sign Jalen Smith when the room exception would be higher than his Indiana deal and they could do it with no impact on their cap room?
    Simple: They either cash him in for more draft capital, lose the asset for nothing (but more cap space) next off season or overpay to get him to consider re-signing.

Last year has nothing to do with this one and McDermott was signed because 1) His ability to space the floor will help aid in the mostly deficient shooting youth on court and because they'll want some "character" veterans to help shepherd the youth off court.

Might have had a narrow window to extract this amount/type of draft capital. The Hawks could have moved on, the Timberwolves prioritized Gobert and none of the Cavaliers, Knicks, Wizards were probably willing to pace this price period.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

But I believe the Spurs when they say that they didn't go into the summer looking to trade Dejounte. Because I buy into them not having a grand plan. They don't know what they're doing. And I stress 'know', not inasmuch as intelligence, but we in being deliberate. People think they've chosen to tank and have things in motion. "oh, they added Jock and pulled Lonnie's offer, they're up to something!"

No, they aren't up to anything. People who should have known better really thought that pulling Lonnie's offer meant something big was about to happen, despite a long history of them not screwing over players like Morey would.

But anyways, I think this trade can be traced back to Dejounte publicly recruiting Lavine. There's no way he does that if he didn't picture himself in San Antonio long term at the time. That's him committing to the future of the team and taking a leadership role that is the norm in the modern NBA, recruiting players. And it happened weeks before any talking with Trae Young happened based on public timelines.

That's where the culture clash happened, and long story short, when the FO didn't have his back behind closed doors, that's when he concluded things weren't going too happen in SA like he thought he needed them to, and he started looking elsewhere.

Because i can easily see the braintrust of Pop, Wright, and RC with his personal Uber driver then FLIPPING OUT over Dejounte posting or linking or liking a LaVine in a Spurs jersey picture. THAT'S NOT THE SPURS WAY! That's not humble and over yourself, that's not quiet or meek, that's seeking attention and ego-driven or other nonsense.

I'm sure there was an all hands on deck meeting over how to handle it, they probably were even called by the league office to have to explain or deny their role in it. Which then would have led to them having to talk to Dejounte and explain the Spurs way. Which I'm sure would have led to a discussion over what they were planning to do this summer, which turns out might be what they did last summer: nothing but questionable contracts and second rate cap eating for picks.

I'm sure their lack of enthusiasm for chasing dreams or big moves was like a bucket of cold water poured on his hot tempered head. And if they weren't as committed to winning or even making bigger moves to improve the roster, then he would have to go look for that somewhere else. Little did he know that he was punching his own ticket by recruiting other players.
    I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or serious. If you are being serious than this is a profoundly stupid post. I doubt the Spurs got upset at DJ for posting on IG that he wanted Lavine. Reality is Spurs didn't see him as a franchise player to build around and went to him and told him they would trade him to a place he wanted to go. I think this was the best break up you can have between a team and its star player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was far more practical than salacious …

You may be one of those people who should not try to use “vocabulary” words. Or did your spell checker help you way too much?

The word, salacious, can mean either lustful, or sexually obscene.

So you just wrote that the Murray trade was more practical than it was sexually obscene.

Now, I will grant you that point. I would agree. I do not think that when the Spurs traded Murray they were hoping to be sexually obscene. But is that really what you were trying to say? If you claim it was I will not believe you.

Or maybe that’s why so many of the posters here are dubious or even upset with the Murray trade. It wasn’t sexually obscene enough for them. You might be on to something there. The guys here wanted an X rated trade and all they got was a lousy G rated one.

Anyway…

The Spurs traded Murray because - through no fault of their own - they stumbled across the best opportunity they’d ever get to trade him, probably.

The trade did not happen because Murray wanted out. He didn’t.

It did not happen because the Spurs wanted to trade Murray. They didn’t.

Atlanta did it. The Murray trade emerged from their effort to trade John Collins.

Atlanta has been trying to trade Collins for some time now. No secret.

They called the Spurs (among many others) and one of the ideas they floated was Collins for Murray. That was a no go for the Spurs.

Atlanta then dropped Collins from the conversation but they kept talking about Murray. What would it take to get him?

They were especially interested in DJ because they see him as a player who can help Trae Young at both ends of the floor. For Atlanta it’s all about building around Trae.

The Spurs let it be known that with the way the team is now they were primarily interested in draft picks, as many good ones as they could get. Would Atlanta give enough picks?

Atlanta is in win-now mode as they try to stay compe ive in the East. So they replied “maybe.”

The question arose whether Trae and DJ could really get along, being on the same team. If so, Atlanta’s answer on the draft picks would become yes.

DJ then went to Atlanta, to spend some time with Trae. The verdict from that, from both DJ and Trae, was thumbs up.

At that point, Atlanta agreed to give enough to make the trade happen.

Spurs fans try to look into DJ’s head to explain the trade, or they try to look at some at ude of the Spurs. But that isn’t where the answer is. The reason for the trade is in Atlanta.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was thinking back to last summer when the Spurs apparently made an offer to the 76ers for Simmons with Murray being the key piece...

Maybe this was a concern back then

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Someone please help me with this, if it is presumed the the spurs do not know what they’re doing, why do some expect so much from them? Total foolishness!������ The fact that most of you truly don’t know how remarkable this ride has been over the last 25 yrs is baffling; ANY franchise & fanbase would change positions with usin a snap of a finger. Quit being little whiney boys ing. That’s all and btw Spurs/Primo will be fine

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You may be one of those people who should not try to use “vocabulary” words. Or did your spell checker help you way too much?

The word, salacious, can mean either lustful, or sexually obscene.

So you just wrote that the Murray trade was more practical than it was sexually obscene.

Now, I will grant you that point. I would agree. I do not think that when the Spurs traded Murray they were hoping to be sexually obscene. But is that really what you were trying to say? If you claim it was I will not believe you.
    I actually meant scandalous.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Source? Trust me bro.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I actually meant scandalous.

Ah. I hereby nominate you for typo of the year, tho.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Klutch move.

They are always going to steer their players either to LeBron or to baller markets. Unless they forget about them entirely, like Nerlens Noel.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His IG must have been an issue with the FO. They hate that type of exposure. And they probably did think he was a potential time bomb as he got more accolades and got closer to a max. I assume they are scarred by the Kawhi experience. , they’ve avoided drafting a small forward since he left, lol. Having said that, he was a gym rat and did a lot of things they probably loved. Did his teammates like him? Hard to say. I would also say that a big chunk of the NBA operates like DJM did. He wasn’t a complete outlier. Just random thoughts.

Thread Information