Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm just glad I can now safely call this dude out for the Capitalize Every First Sentence Typing .

You're 25 man, never too late for some proper in' grammar.
    haha frfr. Message aside he doesn’t do himself any favours with that .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DJ and Cam Newton should look for a 2 for 1 GroupOn on how to post on social media like a normal adult.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I ask myself this question: what exactly is it that’s wrong in that system? That‘s the more interesting thing to me. My guess would be
    Selling talent until you find a generational one is what's wrong. It could be a year or it could be 15.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Selling talent until you find a generational one is what's wrong. It could be a year or it could be 15.
    Even if we had that talent he’d have to be a Spurs culture guy. So not only are we looking for generational talent but he also needs to be a generational human by PATFOs standards.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Big Jounte ting on the Spurs. I guess Primo should have hugged him more

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I ask myself this question: what exactly is it that’s wrong in that system? That‘s the more interesting thing to me. My guess would be
    I mean, even if you look past the Big 3 era, it's a system that turned a trio of 29th overall picks into:

1. A key role player on an NBA Finals Team
    2. An all-star who yielded a massive trade haul
    3. A 17ppg overachiever now sitting on an $80million extension

It's also a system that's created a coaching tree that extends to over 1/4 of all the head coaches in the league

I'd be legitimately curious what beefs DJM could have with the system. DJM never got the Tony Parker treatment, but was rather developed a pretty smart manner for a raw 29th overall pick. I doubt DJM is thinking that the system should have tanked harder after KL wanted out.

Let's go back to the era of KL demanding a trade - what is your timeline of the moves the Spurs FO should have made instead to make DJM love "the system"?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, even if you look past the Big 3 era, it's a system that turned a trio of 29th overall picks into:

It's also a system that's created a coaching tree that extends to over 1/4 of all the head coaches in the league

I'd be legitimately curious what beefs DJM could have with the system. DJM never got the Tony Parker treatment, but was rather developed a pretty smart manner for a raw 29th overall pick. I doubt DJM is thinking that the system should have tanked harder after KL wanted out.

Let's go back to the era of KL demanding a trade - what is your timeline of the moves the Spurs FO should have made instead to make DJM love "the system"?
    Ehhh. Valuing guys like Mills and not giving White/Murray ANY minutes…all egregious and called out by several of us over the years. But SA has a lot to prove - hopefully they use his comments as fuel and execute their plan

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean he was all "Spurs way this, Spurs way that" up until the trade rumors started. He's always been an over emotional dude..so if reports of him never asking for a trade are true, hes just acting like a scorned ex, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ehhh. Valuing guys like Mills and not giving White/Murray ANY minutes…all egregious and called out by several of us over the years. But SA has a lot to prove - hopefully they use his comments as fuel and execute their plan
    Yeah, the ball is in PATFOs court now. Execute. 4yrs removed from the KL saga and you are the worst team in the league with virtually nothing to show.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

you are talking basketball system. He clearly said there are internal problems bigger than basketball. I‘m not talking about basketball here. It has seemed to me for a while that how the franchise did things off the court is what‘s problematic in certain areas. I think the old man is out of tune, holding the franchise hostage with his ego. Ever since the 2014 le Pop got too full of himself preaching all this getting over yourself stuff while being out here chasing his records and starting Bryn Forbes. This franchise needs to adjust its culture and it can only happen with a new head coach who is in full control

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dang its real, which is pretty wild.

I guess you can say... In the end, Murray was not a culture fit.

Lmao. Instagram Baller

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean he was all "Spurs way this, Spurs way that" up until the trade rumors started. He's always been an over emotional dude..so if reports of him never asking for a trade are true, hes just acting like a scorned ex, tbh.
    Yup. Dudes just asshurt the Spurs didn't want to pay him 42M on his next deal

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the first year after the KL debacle (2018-19), DJM was out for the season and Derrick (in his second season) got more minutes and started ahead of Patty, despite Patty being a more efficient player per advanced stats. Then Derrick "broke out" in the playoffs.

In the next season, DJ's first year back after injury, both DJM and Derrick played ahead of Patty. Only DDR and LMA played more minutes than the range DJM and Derrick were playing (around 25 per game).

Season after that... DJM and Derrick were both 30 mpg players while Patty stayed at 25 mpg.

If you want to go back to Derrick's rookie year/DJ's 2nd year, you probably have a good case, but DJM still played 21mpg and played enough to win All NBA Defensive 2nd Team. We were also coming off a season where we probably should have won the le, still had Tony and Manu, and probably didn't expect KL to miss the entire season.

Should DJM played ahead of Patty his rookie year? We were one of the best teams in the league, probably not the time to experiment with a raw 29th pick.

If anything, there is probably a better case for how Patty and Bryn stunted Lonnie's development more than DJM or Derrick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you are talking basketball system. He clearly said there are internal problems bigger than basketball. I‘m not talking about basketball here. It has seemed to me for a while that how the franchise did things off the court is what‘s problematic in certain areas. I think the old man is out of tune, holding the franchise hostage with his ego. Ever since the 2014 le Pop got too full of himself preaching all this getting over yourself stuff while being out here chasing his records and starting Bryn Forbes. This franchise needs to adjust its culture and it can only happen with a new head coach who is in full control
    What do you think those beyond basketball things are? What are the problematic off the court things the franchise does that is hurting the program and the players? I'm genuinely curious, not asking sarcastically.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t think they’re holding out for generational. It would be nice, but they’d probably settle for a solid franchise guy that could take them a few rounds deep, and maybe if the stars align, a chip. You have to churn the guys who aren’t that,because otherwise, you end up paying too many mediocre players, and lose the ability to accrue draft picks. OKC is approaching that threshold now, and the only young player they’re paying is SGA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ​
    What do you think those beyond basketball things are? What are the problematic off the court things the franchise does that is hurting the program and the players? I'm genuinely curious, not asking sarcastically.
    I obviously don’t know what‘s going on behind the scenes, but as I mentioned in 2017 there was some clique buidling going on between the older and younger guys (Dedmon, Simmons, Kawhi) with reports saying that they didn‘t want to be educated about black culture by an old white guy or something along those lines. Then there‘s the thing TimVP said about somebody clashing with Kawhi who can‘t be fired. Then there‘s the whole military pecking order Pop been running. Now there have been reports about a rift in the front office on which direction to go in the future. I can‘t point the finger at one thing, but it‘s certainly not running as smooth as the Spurs make it seem to be.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn DJ! It’s always how you leave…… Good thing I’m a fan of the name on the front of the jersey, not the back Atlanta got raped , they just don’t know it yet!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and by the way if you want to know what I think the FO has done wrong basketball wise I made a whole thread about it years ago

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ​

I obviously don’t know what‘s going on behind the scenes, but as I mentioned in 2017 there was some clique buidling going on between the older and younger guys (Dedmon, Simmons, Kawhi) with reports saying that they didn‘t want to be educated about black culture by an old white guy or something along those lines. Then there‘s the thing TimVP said about somebody clashing with Kawhi who can‘t be fired. Then there‘s the whole military pecking order Pop been running. Now there have been reports about a rift in the front office on which direction to go in the future. I can‘t point the finger at one thing, but it‘s certainly not running as smooth as the Spurs make it seem to be.
    That's interesting. It seems like things have become more player friendly the last few years (from the outside looking in). It has seemed like the military pecking order thing has kind of gone away, but maybe not behind the scenes. And I wonder how Timmy's stint on the bench played into this, or Manu's current role with the team. Perhaps it is viewed by current players as not letting go of the past, whereas us fans see it as bringing the thread of success to the next generation.

Or... maybe there is just someone untouchable in the FO who everyone hates? Or maybe they view Brian Wright as incompetent? I could see how the bag that McBuckets got last offseason could send a bad message to the team as well. For one of the highest paid players on the team to be such a role player might have sat wrong with a lot of current players who felt they were more deserving (though its not like DJM could have gotten anything more out of it - he clearly didn't want the extension he was eligible for).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ​

Bro, that’s just life! Perfect is an illusion until you find the remedy, always have been. I know now that some do it better than others…..not a big deal! Kawhi and DJ both will see soon enough why most franchises model themselves after that small market team in south Texas! DJ in Atlanta can go either way but if I had to put some dough on it, I’m going show & bail in two years. Atlanta has way to much stuff going on for regular people��

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ​

Lol what military pecking order? What fictional bull is that?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dejounte is more of a baller type who thinks only baller types can win. He has a lot of Stephen A. Smith to him. Guessing, if this isn't just joshing, he thinks the franchise will struggle because it doesn't cater to the baller class, when they've won 5 championships not doing so.

In fact ballers have never won any championship.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol what military pecking order? What fictional bull is that?
    I‘m not talking about last season. You forgot the 2 years of Bryn Forbes starting at SG huh?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I‘m not talking about last season. You forgot the 2 years of Bryn Forbes starting at SG huh?
    That's a military pecking order? What was his rank? LMAO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's interesting. It seems like things have become more player friendly the last few years (from the outside looking in). It has seemed like the military pecking order thing has kind of gone away, but maybe not behind the scenes. And I wonder how Timmy's stint on the bench played into this, or Manu's current role with the team. Perhaps it is viewed by current players as not letting go of the past, whereas us fans see it as bringing the thread of success to the next generation.

Or... maybe there is just someone untouchable in the FO who everyone hates? Or maybe they view Brian Wright as incompetent? I could see how the bag that McBuckets got last offseason could send a bad message to the team as well. For one of the highest paid players on the team to be such a role player might have sat wrong with a lot of current players who felt they were more deserving (though its not like DJM could have gotten anything more out of it - he clearly didn't want the extension he was eligible for).
    I think Pop only knows how to do things one way and that‘s when he had Tim and the team was a contender. It‘s easy to have new guys buy in when they come to a franchise that has been in the playoffs for 20 years. A lot of that stuff doesn‘t work when you‘re in the bottom half of the conference. He‘s obviously changing it up with the young guys now though.

Thread Information