Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade away Jakob and don't bring anybody noteworthy back and I'll feel a lot better about them finishing bottom 5 next year tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My instant reaction was similar. OO would have been a really nice get.

But ... the more I think about it, the more I agree with the front office's decision. First, no way you trade OO for a unprotected pick. That'd be terrible asset management. Second, OO is the exact type of floor raiser the Spurs shouldn't want. It's why Poeltl is actively being shopped right now. You don't want floor raisers when trying to max out the value of your draft picks. Moreover, while OO is a floor raiser, I don't see him as a significant part of a contending team. So, in reality, he's the worst possible type of player for the Spurs to add: someone who will make it difficult to be really bad but who also won't help them become really good.
    is this true? how hard are they looking to move him?

if poeltl is traded, then yeah tank is on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All in all it makes sense but admitting that we are now rebuilding is a bitter pill to swallow. DJM seemed a very good player and a good guy as well, wish him all the best.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not entirely sure trading Murray away ensures the Spurs don't compete for the play-in tournament this year. Unless we also trade away Poeltl, it's possible that any wins lost by losing Murray would be offset by internal development from the rest of the team.
    I agree. My hope is that the spurs win more than 10 games next year so that they don't set a record for the most losses in a season, but my real hope is that they win 35 or more games next year proving that purposely tanking is just stupid and a strategy that should be avoided, Sixers won any championships yet ? Close only counts in horseshoes and grenades.

Ask yourself, other than for the money how many players want to sign with Sacramento, after all they've basically tanked and been in the lottery for the last 15 years. Where has tanking gotten them ? Answer nowhere. Does this team really want to go in that direction ?

Maybe the remaining spurs have enough pride to try and win games rather than tanking for a player or players that will someday replace them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree. My hope is that the spurs win more than 10 games next year so that they don't set a record for the most losses in a season, but my real hope is that they win 35 or more games next year proving that purposely tanking is just stupid and a strategy that should be avoided, Sixers won any championships yet ? Close only counts in horseshoes and grenades.

Ask yourself, other than for the money how many players want to sign with Sacramento, after all they've basically tanked and been in the lottery for the last 15 years. Where has tanking gotten them ? Answer nowhere. Does this team really want to go in that direction ?

Maybe the remaining spurs have enough pride to try and win games rather than tanking for a player or players that will someday replace them.
    winning 35 games would be worst case scenario tbh. They should try to win no more than 25

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    winning 35 games would be worst case scenario tbh. They should try to win no more than 25
    At that point Sacramento might be better than the spurs and would truly be a shame.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ain't no trying about it. The team is going to be ing awful lmao

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My only hope is that if they commit to tanking then they need to tank. There's some ruthless coaches in this league that will be god awful to get Victor. The 14% chance might turn into our saving grace

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Love how some posters are trashing the FO for the "bad" Murray trade while basically the rest of the NBA applauses and aknowledge they won it. Lots of things we don't know, or didn't like the unprotected picks or Murray possibly telling spurs he wasn't signing an extension (which would in itself justify the trade)

Ultimately, yeah they had to do it. Now, what really determines the value of this trade will be ofc be who they get and what they to with the reservoir of picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My only hope is that if they commit to tanking then they need to tank. There's some ruthless coaches in this league that will be god awful to get Victor. The 14% chance might turn into our saving grace
    Spurs
    do
    not
    tank
    not
    in
    their
    DNA

The Spurs could be playing the rookies, and still would play hard knowing it's Pop's team. Next year will be about teaching, but they will not purposely lose a game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly what I'm fearing

Trading Murray most definitely does not guarantee a tank. There were times where this team looked better with Jones running the point vs Murray. This team was already young and already rebuilding. With so many versatile guards, losing Dejounte won't be noticed as much vs losing someone like Poeltl, who we have no one to replace with. And no Collins is no where near the defensive player Poeltl is.

And adding Sochan gives us size so we may in fact be better now next year vs last year.

IMO this was a terrible move. If the plan was to tank, should've traded Poeltl instead of Murray.

If we do end up tanking then ill give them their props but the spurs in their current state i don't think will be bottom 5. Bottom 10 probably but not bottom 5.
    According to LJ, Poeltl is on the block. Hopefully, they move quickly, but I don’t see him here past the deadline in Feb. they would lose him for nothing in that case.

Players going out, picks coming back. Players coming in, with picks to offset the salary. That’s all we need to be doing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs
    do
    not
    tank
    not
    in
    their
    DNA

The Spurs could be playing the rookies, and still would play hard knowing it's Pop's team. Next year will be about teaching, but they will not purposely lose a game.
    Hmm sure looks like a tank, i guess it's tank by sheer lack of good players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Victor just changed team and will join long time french NT coach Collet who's know for his capacity to play youngsters and ability to develop them (he's the one who launched Batum at 18) That should be a long year of salivation for NBA GMs. (that is if he's not injury prone).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously the point is to tank. Otherwise murray clearly told sa im going to test fa. Either way i can understand why the spurs did it. The sniffers are in full force up in here though

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s hard for me to get frustrated about this trade now that we are finally finding a path and in my opinion making solid moves (trading DDR, trading White, trading DJM, this most recent draft, all of which were wins for the team).

The outrage is the bumbling of the Kawhi trade and the frustration of the DDR era. I’ve moved on from that trauma, so I’m good now. Lol. I’ve come full circle on Brian Wright. He’s not perfect but he’s in the game and doing work and moving the team in a better direction now. It sucks that we just now seem to doing what we needed to do but I can’t complain about what we’re now doing.

Let’s see what they get for Yak next…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmm sure looks like a tank, i guess it's tank by sheer lack of good players.
    Technically, but you'd never see Spurs hoist 3 pointers and not play defense like the Rockets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Technically, but you'd never see Spurs hoist 3 pointers and not play defense like the Rockets.
    They’re lowering their floor, but they’ll never not play hard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They’re lowering their floor, but they’ll never not play hard.
    hopefully there is no "floor" and the bottom falls out

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the Spurs had to strike while the iron was hot. The iron was hottest yesterday. Even if they tried to draw it out for a few days, the bidding war would have cooled because other teams would have moved on to alternate targets in free agency. The Spurs had a captivated audience of bidding teams and an asset at the absolute peak of his value.
    If indeed Spurs sold at height, that's great. 1st time in 5 years since Zaza that has happened.

However how can you say for a certainty that teams in the hunt in 22-23 including during the season / playoff push wouldn't have coughed up more?

Well aware of bird in bush theory so if this indeed was As Good As it Gets, then bravo.

Just seems Murray with his legit All Star, salary and age would be worth a of a lot more then 3 picks in the 20s and another McForbesbot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If indeed Spurs sold at height, that's great. 1st time in 5 years since Zaza that has happened.

However how can you say for a certainty that teams in the hunt in 22-23 including during the season / playoff push wouldn't have coughed up more?

Well aware of bird in bush theory so if this indeed was As Good As it Gets, then bravo.

Just seems Murray with his legit All Star, salary and age would be worth a of a lot more then 3 picks in the 20s and another McForbesbot.
    you can easily argue either side. There is no definitive answer

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Throwing Primo into the fire as point guard next year feels like a great opportunity to get losses and a high draft pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Two (potentially three) unprotected picks via the Atlanta Freakin' Hawks. We're really going to pencil in those picks to be in the 20s when the first one isn't for three years? Dooming Spurs fans suddenly acting like the Hawks acquired prime Duncan.

I mean, if you were to make a list of organizations that you'd want to acquire unprotected first rounders from that don't convey for three years, the Hawks would be somewhere near the top of that list, IMO.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two (potentially three) unprotected picks via the Atlanta Freakin' Hawks. We're really going to pencil in those picks to be in the 20s when the first one isn't for three years? Dooming Spurs fans suddenly acting like the Hawks acquired prime Duncan.

I mean, if you were to make a list of organizations that you'd want to acquire unprotected first rounders from that don't convey for three years, the Hawks would be somewhere near the top of that list, IMO.
    Are you gonna be dropping any info you're hearing about our FA/trade plans before free agency opens in a couple hours?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Okongwu is pretty much a waste as long as Poeltl is on the roster as they’re redundant. And if you end up with a center prospect you like better in the future, you move on from OO. Lack of shooting and positional flexibility really limits roster construction.

I like him as a player, but the right move was to stay off him.

Poeltl should be traded immediately.

Fine and we know things can and often do change in the blink of an eye in this league, but based on the information at hand today, you can't deny that the Hawks look set up to be solid long term and that there's a possibility if not getting a significant asset out of this.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The spurs aren’t tanking………this market is shaping up to help us immensely. Brian’s got this

Thread Information