Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The spurs system holds players games back , do y’all agree I kinda do, I’m tired of this system no one will ever want to come here.
    examples
    dj
    kawhi
    jack himself
    derozan

45:50 mark

he also implies Tony and manu couldn’t lead their own team to the playoffs if they had the chance

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh wow, a fake player account. That’s fresh and never been done before.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s just was my favorite spur at the time if you must know

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d say there is an element of that however those are also the same guys they helped develop so it’s not that simple.

Alot of hate on the board for Stack but there are many reasons he ans Barnes have the best podcast despite being role players through their careers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude's still salty as

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How much credit can we take for dj and kawhi I mean those guys worked hard to become great. Just didn’t have spurs at udes, whatever that means

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How much credit can we take for dj and kawhi I mean those guys worked hard to become great. Just didn’t have spurs at udes, whatever that means
    They absolutely did.

Stack is one of my favourite players of all time. DJ easily my most recent favourite Spur.

Leonard and DJ worked their damn assess off but I feel they outgrew the Spurs truthfully. Leonard came into a great situation to establish his career. DJ less so.

Either way we have a culture issue so the point we are talent averse.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d say there is an element of that however those are also the same guys they helped develop so it’s not that simple.

Alot of hate on the board for Stack but there are many reasons he ans Barnes have the best podcast despite being role players through their careers.
    I would say no. I see no substance to be gained from their podcast it's pretty much the same as the knuckle heads, JJ Red 's podcast.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hard to say. In SA, Pop has the ability to do whatever he wants, and so he limits players to his style but that means a team concept almost always. If we are holding players back, it's hard for to see it other than promoting a team concept of sharing. Obviously, lots of players want to be in more control and do what the they want. Also true, that Pop limits minutes in arbitrary ways at times, and so I agree with that part, but I don't agree that Pop held back Kawhi or DDR. no. The last season for both of them, they were both pounding the ball constantly.

I didn't hear the episode, so I'm assuming that some of what I am speculating on that he said might not be what he said exactly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They absolutely did.

Stack is one of my favourite players of all time. DJ easily my most recent favourite Spur.

Leonard and DJ worked their damn assess off but I feel they outgrew the Spurs truthfully. Leonard came into a great situation to establish his career. DJ less so.

Either way we have a culture issue so the point we are talent averse.

the culture only works when you have three superstars that fall in line and tbh international, I don’t wanna turn it into a race issue but pop has never connected with black urban players, elephant in the room

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Now I will say the Spurs do hold back players offensively. For example, LMA's scoring dropped the first years he was here from Portland. The same can be said about Demar. The league and media measures most star players by how much they are scoring. So, I can understand players frustration in playing for Pop because they know their offense will take a hit which will result in the way they are perceived by the media which in return can lower their value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stak5 is the saltiest most bitter ex-Spur in franchise history. DJ, Kawhi and many others have developed into All stars and superstars in this system.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude's still salty as
    Yep. And Manu just made the Hall.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stak5 is the saltiest most bitter ex-Spur in franchise history. DJ, Kawhi and many others have developed into All stars and superstars in this system.
    He's a clown. I don't know how anybody can take him seriously after Kwame Brown exposed him last year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    However, there is somesort of disconnect in the post Tim/Tony/Manu era. The biggest FA we ever signed (LMA) wasn't happy. Our best inhouse player post big 3 (Kawhi) wanted out. And even Dejounte, who the spurs developed into a a good player, said some stuff on the way out. I think the Team-First mentality of Robinson and Duncan and Manu is hard to duplicate. And when you're not winning multiple rings players want their numbers.

Still, Jack is salty as they come.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Robert horry is saltier honestly, jack still praises pop and Timmy all the time just not Tony and manu

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    However, there is somesort of disconnect in the post Tim/Tony/Manu era. The biggest FA we ever signed (LMA) wasn't happy. Our best inhouse player post big 3 (Kawhi) wanted out. And even Dejounte, who the spurs developed into a a good player, said some stuff on the way out. I think the Team-First mentality of Robinson and Duncan and Manu is hard to duplicate. And when you're not winning multiple rings players want their numbers.

Agreed I think having team first at ude is hard to replicate with American players. You look at the stars who tend to be team first in this league and they tend to be foreign guys such as Jokic, Giannis. You have Curry who I will say is team first but there is no other American star I can think of that is truly team first.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do think it’s true that Pop’s playcalling or rigid set play system might be an issue with players, and it came up in the Olympics to be honest, so I can see that, that maybe players want more freedom in the sort of plays and system they work under. But again that still just might mean that stars wanna control the ball more and not have to actually, you know, pass it to somebody else.

Currently, the system is supposedly Junior High level and much more simple.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Robert horry is saltier honestly, jack still praises pop and Timmy all the time just not Tony and manu
    True. Horry even has taken shots at Timmy for some reason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Players who like to play hero ball, yup that's the kind of at ude that you would get, "getting held back." But for Timmy, TP and Manu, they knew it takes a team to win championships, and it means making sacrifices, "getting held back."

Jack said Pop only allowed certain type of players to mix it up, the Big 3. Damn, Manu had to come off the bench! What's he talking about? Yes, Manu had the green light, but he was coming off the bench, freaking sacrificed his overall stats, but got 4 rings. Likewise, Timmy and Tony could've scored more, rebounded more, had they were playing hero ball, but championships? Maybe not.

Spurs held players back. Nah, Spurs put players to fit in a team. And for players like Gary Neal, Jonathon Simmons? Maybe they would've not played in the NBA, but they found roles in the Spurs system. Danny Green, Bruce Bowen won championships playing "roles", where Spurs system identified their best suited skills to contribute to the team.

Nah, Captain Jack was wrong on that take, or not complete. I think I heard from Kenny Smith or here in ST, that Spurs system will not force you to do outside of your comfort zone, not leaving players to fail doing too much. Players don't need to be great at everything, just certain ones that they can master. Now if you're Kobe, KD or Lebron, then be it. But if you're Steve Kerr, practice your shots and make sure you sink those when open.

DJ is all hype. I still think he's a system player. Let's see when reality hits his face

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi became a superstar here
    DeRozan had his best seasons here
    LMAs peak was here
    DJ became an All star here

This clown is still asshurt about 2013. He really needs to stfu already

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

US based players are the ones with the problem when you mention, DJ, Dirtbag, and LMA. Jackson was a malcontent overall - Pop tossed Jackson out when it became clear he could not stand playing second fiddle to Manu AND Number 2.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi became a superstar here
    DeRozan had his best seasons here
    LMAs peak was here
    DJ became an All star here

This clown is still asshurt about 2013. He really needs to stfu already
    Agreed. Yes, LMA's scoring dropped from Portland (which is what made him unhappy) BUT

His first year he was incredibly efficient, and All-NBA 3rd team. That team was loaded, if Timmy doesn't injure that final knee who knows what happens.

His secong year, they make the NBA West Finals, LMA's deepest playoff run. Despite that he asked to be traded after the season.

In terms of team success, those were LMA's two best years and he was the teams 2nd best player. So, I agree with you. But LMA probably wouldn't. He preferred Portland usage rates.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol man 5 rings and that's with "holding people back" so what, if SA didn't hold players back the team would have 10 rings? 10 rings in 20 years? Who else even has that? How is that even remotely realistic?

So what you are saying is BOSS POP was going easy on the league so as to not completely dominate?

man holding players back but he turned Reno Bighorns reject even peaking Bron couldn't make use of into a NBA Finals record holder and NBA CHAMPION?

I tremble to think of the league wide destruction if pop system DIDN'T hold players back.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, it was amazing to watch Stephen Jackson leave S.A. and become a multi-time all-star and carry teams to the championships. Boy the Spurs were really holding him back...

Except no, he was the guy that loved basketball so much and honored the game so much that he admitted to smoking weed before the game and taking shots that sometimes hit the side of the backboard. Say what you want about his tough streak, when it comes to greatness, he only got a whiff of it from his time in S.A. soaking it up from all the future HOFs.

Thread Information