Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Count
    I find it kind of sad actually. Money continuing to ruin college sports.

USC and UCLA are planning to leave the Pac-12 for the Big Ten, Jon Wilner of the San Jose Mercury News is reporting. According to Wilner, arguably the most plugged-in reporter on the Pac-12, the move could come to fruition as early as 2024 but “has not been finalized at the highest levels of power.”
    https://currently.att.yahoo.com/spor...174647901.html

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Yeah that's been simmering for a while for USC but surprised about UCLA. Thought maybe it would be Oregon.

I wonder now if the big 12 tries to merge with the PAC leftovers

Post Count
    Yeah that's been simmering for a while for USC but surprised about UCLA. Thought maybe it would be Oregon.

I wonder now if the big 12 tries to merge with the PAC leftovers
    It might try I'm not sure PAC would bite on that though.

My Team
    Florida State Seminoles
    Post Count
    Wonder if this opens the door for a SDSU to join Pac. But we are also 1 step closer to scrapping Conferences and going Super League.

Network money/greed ruined the sport.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    It might try I'm not sure PAC would bite on that though.
    PAC was hoping for a merger with the big 10, iirc.

Since that doesn't seem like it's gonna happen, it might move PAC to desperation mode to get that big 12 time zone

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Then again, the PAC doesn't want byu...

Post Count
    PAC was hoping for a merger with the big 10, iirc.

Since that doesn't seem like it's gonna happen, it might move PAC to desperation mode to get that big 12 time zone
    I'm not sure they want the Big 12 time zone or vice versa. Who in Texas wants to see games starting at 9:30PM?

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    I'm not sure they want the Big 12 time zone or vice versa. Who in Texas wants to see games starting at 9:30PM?
    I basically meant the Texas TV market. PAC has wanted Texas markets for a long time.

My Team
    Houston Cougars
    Post Count
    Evidently Oregon and Washington have applied to the Big10. Stanford and Cal should be next. Pac is dead.

So many questions remain. Who does the SEC grab to get to the same member count as the Big10.
    What happens in the XII - do they start inviting the Arizonas, Colorado, and Utahs of the world?

Unless your favorite team is left in the wind, this is an exciting time for college football

My Team
    Florida State Seminoles
    Post Count
    Evidently Oregon and Washington have applied to the Big10. Stanford and Cal should be next. Pac is dead.

So many questions remain. Who does the SEC grab to get to the same member count as the Big10.
    What happens in the XII - do they start inviting the Arizonas, Colorado, and Utahs of the world?

Unless your favorite team is left in the wind, this is an exciting time for college football
    Really? Combined with the NIL circus, this is just a NFL developmental league now. Gone is the rivalries, the pageantry and history. No wonder student attendance to games is down. At that point why not watch the USFL instead of 18-22 year olds that are glorified paid professionals.

My Team
    Florida State Seminoles
    Post Count
    Furthermore after the SuperLeagues are created and they expand the Playoff to 12-16 teams we will be gifted a Champion that lost 1/4 of their games. Gone is the mystique of the Perfect Season

My Team
    Florida State Seminoles
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Really? Combined with the NIL circus, this is just a NFL developmental league now. Gone is the rivalries, the pageantry and history. No wonder student attendance to games is down. At that point why not watch the USFL instead of 18-22 year olds that are glorified paid professionals.
    C'mon I can't wait to see the hated rivalry of USC and Rutgers continue to develop now they're in the same conference

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Yeah PAC is dead. All the AAU schools from the PAC will beg the big ten for acceptance. The rest will probably merge with the big 12 I'd guess. The PAC will become the new WAC.

Just guesses on my part. Plenty of scenarios that can play out

My Team
    Florida State Seminoles
    Post Count
    For a sport such as basketball. How are these "student"-athletes going to attend class while traveling cross country every week

Post Count
    Yeah PAC is dead. All the AAU schools from the PAC will beg the big ten for acceptance. The rest will probably merge with the big 12 I'd guess. The PAC will become the new WAC.

Just guesses on my part. Plenty of scenarios that can play out
    If the Pac-12 loses Washington, Oregon, Cal and Stanford, then I think Arizona schools might look to the Big 12 at that point.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    The rivalries definitely aren't gone. The NCAA made its bed and now they have to live with the consequences. They could have evolved, but tried to fight it out like stubborn boomers unable to relinquish control and got beaten in court. Universities cared more about selling boxes and expensive tickets close to the field than having student sections right next to the field - UT just moved theirs back down on the field a couple years ago.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    If the Pac-12 loses Washington, Oregon, Cal and Stanford, then I think Arizona schools might look to the Big 12 at that point.
    Yeah, I mean basically whoever doesn't get in to the big ten will take a good look at the big 12.

And the Arizona schools make perfect sense for basketball especially

My Team
    Florida State Seminoles
    Post Count
    The rivalries definitely aren't gone. The NCAA made its bed and now they have to live with the consequences. They could have evolved, but tried to fight it out like stubborn boomers unable to relinquish control and got beaten in court. Universities cared more about selling boxes and expensive tickets close to the field than having student sections right next to the field - UT just moved theirs back down on the field a couple years ago.
    In terms of rivalries. Right now maybe a dozen of the Big powers aren't yet affected. But this will change as SEC/B1G continue to expand. It won't make logistic sense nor be compe ively fair to keep schedules/opponents as they were/are.

What do USC, Ohio State and Nebraska have in common. Might as well scrap the Bowls too. Seeing these regional powers face off only in Bowl season was the charm.

Now the other 75% of CFB that we grew up with and know - already affected. The sport is becoming a generic random product. This works for the NFL only because it is the #1 talent for American Football.

Your point is true. But I am neither student, wealthy coach or official. Just a neutral fan and nearly every change I've seen in CFB over the past 20 years has been bad. Is it becoming more financially fair - I guess you could say so but I guarantee ratings will continue to fall.

There is nothing left beyond paid 18-22 year olds wearing a colored uniform. They might try and still package and sell us history but only a fool would buy it.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Lol bowl games are just exhibition games, nothing more. I'm totally fine with scrapping at least 15 of the lower bowls and expand the playoffs.

The differences still between college and pro are that 100% of the players decide where they want to go along with pageantry, lively marching bands and student sections.

My Team
    Florida State Seminoles
    Post Count
    Lol bowl games are just exhibition games, nothing more. I'm totally fine with scrapping at least 15 of the lower bowls and expand the playoffs.

The differences still between college and pro are that 100% of the players decide where they want to go along with pageantry, lively marching bands and student sections.
    But see that wasn't the case before. Bowls becoming an exhibition was the byproduct of bad decisions.

The portal made recruiting obsolete. If you fail to sign that recruit then find a transfer. And if you successfully signed a top recruit, enjoy losing him this offseason.

They should have left the sport alone and now it has truly become nothing more than a business. From the top to bottom. No allegiance but to the $$$.

The Playoff, the portal, NIL and now superleagues. RIP CFB.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    In terms of rivalries. Right now maybe a dozen of the Big powers aren't yet affected. But this will change as SEC/B1G continue to expand. It won't make logistic sense nor be compe ively fair to keep schedules/opponents as they were/are.

What do USC, Ohio State and Nebraska have in common. Might as well scrap the Bowls too. Seeing these regional powers face off only in Bowl season was the charm.

Now the other 75% of CFB that we grew up with and know - already affected. The sport is becoming a generic random product. This works for the NFL only because it is the #1 talent for American Football.

Your point is true. But I am neither student, wealthy coach or official. Just a neutral fan and nearly every change I've seen in CFB over the past 20 years has been bad. Is it becoming more financially fair - I guess you could say so but I guarantee ratings will continue to fall.

There is nothing left beyond paid 18-22 year olds wearing a colored uniform. They might try and still package and sell us history but only a fool would buy it.
    The players were always getting paid, it's just more out in the open now.

Things always change, they never revert to the way things were. The SWC was around for 82 years, and was then gone. UT and OU have only been in the same conference for 26 years, and it never affected their rivalry over the last 93 years.

The only thing that will drive fans and viewers away is if the games are bad. If USC, OSU and Nebraska have good games people will tune in, and new rivalries can always form, especially if the games are close and compe ive. If the games are good between the teams, people will watch.

It will definitely be messy as this all shakes out, and there will definitely be some issues with two mega conferences like the SEC and BigWhatever vs the rest, but we will see what happens.

My Team
    Florida State Seminoles
    Post Count
    Bottomline: since they are now both en led rich assholes. I rather save my TV viewing for only Sunday...

My Team
    Florida State Seminoles
    Post Count
    The players were always getting paid, it's just more out in the open now.

Things always change, they never revert to the way things were. The SWC was around for 82 years, and was then gone. UT and OU have only been in the same conference for 26 years, and it never affected their rivalry over the last 93 years.

The only thing that will drive fans and viewers away is if the games are bad. If USC, OSU and Nebraska have good games people will tune in, and new rivalries can always form, especially if the games are close and compe ive. If the games are good between the teams, people will watch.

It will definitely be messy as this all shakes out, and there will definitely be some issues with two mega conferences like the SEC and BigWhatever vs the rest, but we will see what happens.
    That's fair. Didn't see your post before I made my last one.

I think they eventually just move to 2-16 team Conferences. Then NFL type Playoff. Too much money in the picture to not.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    But see that wasn't the case before. Bowls becoming an exhibition was the byproduct of bad decisions.

The portal made recruiting obsolete. If you fail to sign that recruit then find a transfer. And if you successfully signed a top recruit, enjoy losing him this offseason.

They should have left the sport alone and now it has truly become nothing more than a business. From the top to bottom. No allegiance but to the $$$.

The Playoff, the portal, NIL and now superleagues. RIP CFB.
    Huh? Bowl games have always been just exhibition games.

Thread Information