My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    editors note i am by no means completely pro ownership.
    They will "use" players and leave them flocked just as players will use teams.

That having been said, will we EVER see a team say No! and make a pouting manipulator play or sit until their contract runs out?
    Kyrie Irving
    Nephew Leonard

Durbetta is somewhat of a tough on because he's signed with the Nyets for 3 more years. Still, could they hard ball him and say fine, sit.
    Prediction is most divas would play if on a contract of at least 2 more years.

Irving and Leonard OTOH, those phucks would probably gladly sit.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    this is why a balance needs to be found between the extreme power of franchises in the NFL and extreme power of players in the NBA

and must stronger consequences for either side not fulfilling their contract

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    imo it's all based on guaranteed money. NFL contracts have little guaranteed money (as a percentage of the headline number) for all but a handful of players, while NBA contracts are for the most part fully guaranteed.

I think breaking the full contract guarantee is the owners' end goal in the NBA. The next incremental step is to reduce contract lengths by another year: 3 max for signing with a new team and 4 with your current team. We've already gone from 7 to 5.

If the owners can get it to 2 yrs/3 yrs they will essentially have won.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    this is why a balance needs to be found between the extreme power of franchises in the NFL and extreme power of players in the NBA

and must stronger consequences for either side not fulfilling their contract
    It's even more absurd when you consider the physical toll of the NFL while basketball players are extremely pampered

Things should even out in the upcoming bargaining agreements. Probably a lockout on the horizon as the Owners will take a hard line.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    It's even more absurd when you consider the physical toll of the NFL while basketball players are extremely pampered
    the type of toll has absolutely nothing to do with honoring contracts and finding an appropriate middle ground of "power"

and for their respective sports, NBA and NFL athletes are equally pampered.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    the type of toll has absolutely nothing to do with honoring contracts and finding an appropriate middle ground of "power"

and for their respective sports, NBA and NFL athletes are equally pampered.
    Huh? One would think the more physical sport (by wide margin) would be the one with guaranteed contracts.

I do like that NBA rewards past production and its not just about potential like for example global soccer. MLB also overpays for proven results.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Huh? One would think the more physical sport (by wide margin) would be the one with guaranteed contracts.
    why would playing a more physical sport be more deserving of a guaranteed contract?

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    why would playing a more physical sport be more deserving of a guaranteed contract?
    The current issue with Deebo. He is hesitant to play a specific position/role because it will cut short his career short.

But this setup also cuts out the big market bias that is crippling the NBA. In the NFL guys will typically prioritize security over nightlife

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    No, you don't want to end up on a bread line.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    It’s actually the precise reason why they’re not guaranteed in the NFL. Football, more physical sport, greater likelihood of injury, and greater likelihood of career ending injuries. You don’t give guaranteed contracts to guys who could instantly be taken out of playing football forever with one vicious hit, hits that are commonplace in the sport. Hand over a contract for $100 million over 5 years to a middle linebacker, first week of the regular season, he tackles a guy and breaks his neck. That dude gets his $100 million, and regardless of insurance, that team has $100 million in dead money on it’s payroll for 5 years. Maybe the NFL has some sort of relief contingent when a highly paid player has a career ending injury, but the physicality of football and the inherent risks of that physicality is precisely why guaranteed contracts are the exception in the NFL.

As far as the NBA, I make it a simple addendum to the CBA. When a player demands a trade, he waives the remainder of his current contract. That’s it, that’s all. Keep it moving. That one singular rule in place, and you eliminate the vast majority of these whiny, coattailing, self absorbed es and their self righteous en lement to dictate whatever they want while they still have 3, 4 years left on their contract and tens if not hundreds of millions left in the bag and their commitment. That doesn’t mean another team won’t offer them a big bag too. But maybe their preferred destination can’t afford nearly as much, maybe not even more than like the MLE. And no other team can give them a supermax if that’s the contract their walking away from. So it’s likely they leave some money, probably a significant amount of money on the table for being whiny es.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The injury argument is moot here. Anyone who watches the NBA for even a season knows that star players are out constantly. A torn ACL is a torn ACL, it doesn't matter how it happened.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    The injury argument is moot here. Anyone who watches the NBA for even a season knows that star players are out constantly. A torn ACL is a torn ACL, it doesn't matter how it happened.
    chubmc missing the point as usual

Thread Information