Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s the idea. Much better than being middle-of-the-road again.
    No one said I have to like it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hold onto the three centers and all the PF's then try to flip one, two or all (maybe none) of Jakob, Zach and/or Gorgui at the deadline.

I could see more than a few teams (Utah, Toronto, Los Angeles [Lakers], etc.) that need a starting center giving up a 1st and multiple 2nd's for Jakob come February.

I like Bates - Diop, but if it comes down to him or Roby, the Spurs need to go with the younger guy with higher offensive upside.
    Lakers have two FRPs in the trade window, up to 2029, and one or two swap possibilities. With that, they have to pay to get Russ to go away, and pay for Kyrie. They probably don’t have enough capital to get both done, and they definitely don’t have enough to go after a center if they were to pull of a miracle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isaiah Roby looks and plays very similar to Jalen Williams (OKC 1st round draft pick). (Is it the hairstyles?)

Roby is a bit bigger -- 6'8" vs. 6'6" and a bit older -- 24 vs. 21.

But they both move about the same, with similar quickness (for better or worse) and a nice efficient feel for the game. Very deliberate but sneakily effective. Hang around and thrive.

Upside is somewhat limited for both, they look like role players. (I was relieved when the Spurs didn't take Williams in the first round although it seemed very unlikely.)

But a waiver pick up of a player like that could be a bargain.

You can see why Presti dumped Roby after he drafted Williams -- too similar.

(Which begs the question, was Roby's waiver an under the table favor by Presti? Does someone know the status of relations between Presti and the Spurs? Just asking.)

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's absolutely nothing to hate about this move. With the ridiculous salaries players are getting now getting a guy like Roby at 1.9 million is a steal. Perfect fit for a team looking for quality depth during a rebuild.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We got Isaiah, we got Malachi. Now we need Nebuchadnezzar, Shadrach, and Moab.
    Clever post.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isaiah Roby looks and plays very similar to Jalen Williams (OKC 1st round draft pick). (Is it the hairstyles?)

Roby is a bit bigger -- 6'8" vs. 6'6" and a bit older -- 24 vs. 21.

But they both move about the same, with similar quickness (for better or worse) and a nice efficient feel for the game. Very deliberate but sneakily effective. Hang around and thrive.

Upside is somewhat limited for both, they look like role players. (I was relieved when the Spurs didn't take Williams in the first round although it seemed very unlikely.)

But a waiver pick up of a player like that could be a bargain.

You can see why Presti dumped Roby after he drafted Williams -- too similar.

(Which begs the question, was Roby's waiver an under the table favor by Presti? Does someone know the status of relations between Presti and the Spurs? Just asking.)
    You can always tie the connection on Presti and Spurs. Although it took over 24 hrs until Spurs announced they picked up the waiver.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    According to Bobby Marks on twitter:
    "San Antonio was 9th in the claim order (standings from the 2021-22 season)"

I didn't realize there was such a rule in place.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs must be living right! This kid is our type of player and I dis agree with most of you, he has some more growth potential! Watch his exit interview from this year…….. he needed to be a spur!!!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    According to Bobby Marks on twitter:
    "San Antonio was 9th in the claim order (standings from the 2021-22 season)"

I didn't realize there was such a rule in place.
    How does it work claiming players off of waivers? I really don't know how that works as I haven't seen the Spurs do it hardly at all.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How does it work claiming players off of waivers? I really don't know how that works as I haven't seen the Spurs do it hardly at all.
    Once a player is waived, he is released to the “waiver wire” or just “waivers” in short. All NBA teams are notified and have a chance to make a claim on the player within 48 hours…If there are multiple teams that make a claim during the 48-hour period, then the team with the lowest spot in the latest NBA standings officially claims the player. This gives the chance for the bottom teams to improve their roster.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No idea, but Presti looks like the kind of guy who would ask for retribution to help his granny.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably not, given how the waiver system works…Roby’s agent could have warned off other teams ahead of the Spurs, I suppose, but seems like a complicated way for Presti to do a favor for the Spurs

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobody claimed Roby ahead of the Spurs because any team is on the hook for the guaranteed contract once the waiver is awarded. There is no conspiracy

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No idea, but Presti looks like the kind of guy who would ask for retribution to help his granny.
    GM of an NBA team is probably one of those jobs where it helps to have a bit of socipathic qualities.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [FONT="]Once a player is waived, he is released to the “waiver wire” or just “waivers” in short. All NBA teams are notified and have a chance to make a claim on the player within 48 hours…[/FONT]
    [FONT="][/FONT]
    If there are multiple teams that make a claim during the 48-hour period, then the team with the lowest spot in the latest NBA standings officially claims the player. This gives the chance for the bottom teams to improve their roster.”

Thanks. What does it mean, though, that the Spurs were 9th in the claim order? Does that mean 9 other teams tried to claim him?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks. What does it mean, though, that the Spurs were 9th in the claim order? Does that mean 9 other teams tried to claim him?
    It just means the Spurs had the 9th worst record last year. If a team with a worse record than them claimed Roby, they'd get him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It just means the Spurs had the 9th worst record last year. If a team with a worse record than them claimed Roby, they'd get him.
    Oh OK, thanks. That is crystal clear. So if a team had a worse record than the Spurs and they claimed him, they would have gotten him before the Spurs?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh OK, thanks. That is crystal clear. So if a team had a worse record than the Spurs and they claimed him, they would have gotten him before the Spurs?
    Yes. So once a player gets waived, there's officially little they can do to control where they go--apart from the player's agent warning teams off, etc.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [FONT="]Once a player is waived, he is released to the “waiver wire” or just “waivers” in short. All NBA teams are notified and have a chance to make a claim on the player within 48 hours…[/FONT]
    [FONT="][/FONT]
    If there are multiple teams that make a claim during the 48-hour period, then the team with the lowest spot in the latest NBA standings officially claims the player. This gives the chance for the bottom teams to improve their roster.”

After the claim is made do the spurs move to the bottom of future waivers?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t think so.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The NBA by-law section dealing with waiver only mentions “latest standing” in determining waiver priority—which means that priority list would change over the course of the season. So successfully claiming a waived player does not seem to affect subsequent priority order. Please correct me if someone has better knowledge.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting. So which means even if Roby isn't part of the Spurs' long term plans, they've picked up a potential asset which they could use to trade in the future because of this waiver position.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does it ever leak out when teams make a waiver claim on a player but they’re sniped? Mostly wondering if other teams put a claim in. It leaks all the time in the NFL.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting. So which means even if Roby isn't part of the Spurs' long term plans, they've picked up a potential asset which they could use to trade in the future because of this waiver position.
    Wouldn't he just now be fully under contract with the Spurs? What does his waiver position have to do with if the Spurs want to trade him later on?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wouldn't he just now be fully under contract with the Spurs? What does his waiver position have to do with if the Spurs want to trade him later on?
    Yeah, what I meant was, if there are teams which were below us in terms of prioritily to pick him up and actually wanted him but couldnt because we grabbed him first.

Thread Information