Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I know and I realize they're all 19 and none are blue chip prospects, but when's the last time they had a rookie take the league by storm in a sense and generate national coverage?

Some agents/players decline being 2nd round picks now because they don't want to be locked in on a minimal contract for 3-4 years.

I don't know if that was the case here though.
    Who? The spurs or just the league in general?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who? The spurs or just the league in general?
    Which part? If it's the former, the Spurs. If it's the latter, the league in general.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which part? If it's the former, the Spurs. If it's the latter, the league in general.
    First part.
    when's the last time they had a rookie take the league by storm in a sense and generate national coverage

To answer, I suppose there have been very few rookies in any team that has taken the league by storm. Luka is the last one. Zion had buzz but was too injured. Then there was LeBron. In between you might say terrek Evans and Blake Griffin.

So the spurs haven't drafted anyone top 10 since 97. So the odds are stacked against this question.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As long as they don't neuter Wesley, we good tbh.
    I actually agree with a post of yours. He has stuff you can not teach. Athleticism and he is not scared on either side of the ball. Needs to be molded and channeled into a finished product but I think the Spurs actually understand all of that.
    He has a motor and if he gets it I think he could be special.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I understand why it happened, but it's a little shocking that kid that shows these flashes (handle, fluidity, ability, etc.) went undrafted.

Spurs might have lucked out with a kid with 2nd - round potential/talent in the undrafted pool.

I'm going to have to watch some G-League action this year to see if he's a flash in the pan or can build on these solid performances.
    his agent told teams not to draft him in the 2nd round cause he had a 2-way guarantee by the Spurs. Somebody would've drafted him if that wasn't the case

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Teams also werent ready to trust Overtime Elite prospects yet

btw Barlow shares the same agent as Primo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Teams also werent ready to trust Overtime Elite prospects yet

btw Barlow shares the same agent as Primo
    To be honest, they're right... there's no way to accurately assess a prospect with as weak a compe ion. But that's not to say a good talent can't come out of Overtime Elite, like Barlow exemplifies. Drafting Primo might have actually landed us a lottery kind of talent down the road... it just happened that it wasn't him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMO, if there are ways to be innovative and evaluate players without using level of compe ion as a standard to be met then there are diamonds out there to be found. I’m glad the Spurs aren’t fixated on having a criteria such as that to find players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lots of upside for a 19 year old:

No wasted movements when he gets the ball. He has a nice feel for the game and gets his teammates involved as well. FO has some intriguing prospects to develop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMO, if there are ways to be innovative and evaluate players without using level of compe ion as a standard to be met then there are diamonds out there to be found. I’m glad the Spurs aren’t fixated on having a criteria such as that to find players.
    Hence also why they use the combine scrimmages as a valuable tool/resource to gauge players

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True, but when it's a lottery pick we're talking about, it surely helps to have something more tangible to go by.
    But then again, if Sharpe got drafted at no. 7 going by a few months worth of HS tape, someone will take that chance when the time comes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Barlow performed very well at the Combine which I think this management has relied on heavily the past recent picks, on top of the individual work-outs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    his agent told teams not to draft him in the 2nd round cause he had a 2-way guarantee by the Spurs. Somebody would've drafted him if that wasn't the case
    If the agent was telling teams that the Spurs had offered a 2-way, why wouldn't that incentivise them to draft him, assuming they think the Spurs scouting is good. Is there some kind of gentleman's agreement (scoff) that they will back off in a situation like the one described? I don't understand your comment or the reason behind it. Thanks for clarifying.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the agent was telling teams that the Spurs had offered a 2-way, why wouldn't that incentivise them to draft him, assuming they think the Spurs scouting is good. Is there some kind of gentleman's agreement (scoff) that they will back off in a situation like the one described? I don't understand your comment or the reason behind it. Thanks for clarifying.
    Picking a player who doesn't want to play for you might start things on the wrong foot.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He probably didn’t discuss the spurs…….

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this was pretty obvious when they drafted Luka Samanic who played in the 2nd league of Slovenia
    It‘s more about physical attributes and skillset with Barlow I think. There‘s a lot to like about this kid

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As far as I know it was reported that his agent told teams not to draft him so he can get the Spurs 2-way

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the agent was telling teams that the Spurs had offered a 2-way, why wouldn't that incentivise them to draft him, …

A team can can draft a player who doesn’t want to be there, and sign him, but they can’t make him try hard for them. So he shows up late for practice, and loafs, and if a coach yells at him, he replies with a screw you. What to do? All they can do is cut him. Then he gets picked up by the team where he wanted to go.

That’s why. There’s too much danger of wasted time and waste of a draft pick, if a player doesn’t want to be drafted by you. And a 2nd rounder is not worth very much hassle at all unless he looks like the next Jokic. Not worth the possible headache.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Feels real nice to have Barlow locked in on the 2 way deal going forward. Really interesting piece and can't wait to see more. Was saying how Barlow 2 way kinda subs utes that #38 Spurs got cash for so seems like a slick move from SA to maximize value and have your cake and eat it too. Or does the cash offset with the 2 way signing as a wash? If so why not just use #38 on Barlow outright especially if there's talk of a prior agreement that was told to warn off other potential suitors? What am I missing here lol

That rockets game highlight reel is impressive. The full court track down and blocked shot at the rim after his opponent fast broke off his own missed shot was crucial. Look at the body control on the contest at the rim and block, Barlow avoids the contact so smoothly. The highlight before that was a full court offensive attack, ball handling all the way up court into an attempted charge that maybe should've been an offensive foul but he gets 2 shots for it. Not so Tragic Johnson sighting as Sean would say lol. Heady stuff all around.

Barlow is a beast. Was reading about how he used to play on an outdoor court in mid winter North Jersey lol. Barlow is like some Space Jam character, I'm real high on the potential here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Both Barlow and Days seem to have a better FT skill than Poeltl. That was refreshing af.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First part.

To answer, I suppose there have been very few rookies in any team that has taken the league by storm. Luka is the last one. Zion had buzz but was too injured. Then there was LeBron. In between you might say terrek Evans and Blake Griffin.

So the spurs haven't drafted anyone top 10 since 97. So the odds are stacked against this question.
    I'm not talking to that level and there's a few every season. Take a guy like Jones last season. He's obviously not going to be a star, but he ended up being an impact role player right out of the chute (yes, I know he's an older prospect).

I realize that and already mentioned as much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kai Jones relegated to the bench in favor of Mark Williams and JT Thor

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yepper……

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs