Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was never going to stay forever. He isn't terribly old (61) but might be ready for a transition now that the Spurs are no longer even pretending to be compe ive.

Sucks, but things like this happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah the guy who fixed the completely broken shots of Tony Parker and Kawhi Leonard ain't .
    I'm not saying Chip ain't , but he's definitely overrated. There are thousands of shooting coaches who have fixed broken shots all around the globe but aren't seen as the second coming of Jesus. For every shot that Chip "fixed", there are just as many players who couldn't improve their shooting under his tutelage. The guy is definitely good at what he does, that's why he's where he is, but he isn't some kind of difference maker. All shooting coaches tell you more or less the same . It all depends on the players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the best shooting coach in the world isn't more than an assistant coach ok, so Steph Curry can be replaced by Bryn Forbes with no drop off
    See? This is the kind of I'm talking about. Comparing an assistant coach to one of the greatest players of all-time.

Relax sons, believe it or not, this guy was just an assistant coach.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's got a great track record, but many other organizations have also had great success improving player's shooting, like Toronto and NO among others. I don't know where he is going, but if it's Golden State (they're paying north of 170M in luxury tax) or he's retiring, there's nothing you can do but find the best possible replacement.
    yeah, but he's more than just a shooting coach. He's like the main component to our player development program being as good as it is. I really hope he's not going to another franchise

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    didn't we poach him to begin with? he's been here almost 20 years. i don't see a problem. We would probably be overpaying him for working with this roster.
    I'd argue we need him now more than ever. So many young players to develop, several with seeming shooting deficiencies (Jones, Primo, Vassell, Sochan, Branham)....and now he decides to jump ship?

I agree that he's either angling towards retirement, or going to Golden State to work with his buddy Kerr.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah, but he's more than just a shooting coach. He's like the main component to our player development program being as good as it is. I really hope he's not going to another franchise
    Again. The Warriors are paying 170 MILLION in luxury tax... if he's going there (like someone said over here), do you think there's a chance in we could stop him? The Spurs have made a habit of finding and promoting staff... they're going to have to do it again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again. The Warriors are paying 170 MILLION in luxury tax... if he's going there (like someone said over here), do you think there's a chance in we could stop him? The Spurs have made a habit of finding and promoting staff... they're going to have to do it again.
    why not? Pop is by far the highest paid coach in the NBA, so who says we can't pay Chip? Especially with our team not even using the entire salary cap as of now

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's been told to leave after Primo's shooting night.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simple solution. Bring in the guy he helped. TP can be our new shooting coach lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    gotta thank PATFO for turning this franchise into ever since the 2017 offseason. And a lot of people here called it right then and there
    props to them scouting a 10 year old wembanyama and planning this all out tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ouch, there goes player development, the best thing the Spurs have going for them.
    Forcier leaving was a bigger deal than this will be, imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As much as he is hyped up, when's the last time the spurs were a good shooting team, tbh?
    Round about when they were a good defensive team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chip leaving the sinking ship

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I highly doubt the Spurs have a proper replacement. They will have somebody to replace him, but given how this fanchise has replaced people for the last half a decade the quality will take a huge hit. It's like replacing Dejounte Murray with Tre Jones
    It'll be like when they replaced RC with Brian Wrong. Can't blame Chip if goes to GSW though, trades in a tank for a le team, 108 degree days for 67 degree days, Whataburger for world class dining, etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It'll be like when they replaced RC with Brian Wrong. Can't blame Chip if goes to GSW though, trades in a tank for a le team, 108 degree days for 67 degree days, Whataburger for world class dining, etc.
    Same thing tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He gave us 17 years of his prime so if he wants to leave for a contender than i say shake his hand and wish him well. We can find another shooting coach.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m pretty sure all the mechanics are properly recorded, taped, as part of this team’s archives.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simple solution. Bring in the guy he helped. TP can be our new shooting coach lol

good luck to him... after all those years I can understand he wants to discover something different tbh... wish him the best

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so apparently nobody knows when his contract expires as terms are not available to the public. I hope it's a couple more years, but doesn't sound like it

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so apparently nobody knows when his contract expires as terms are not available to the public. I hope it's a couple more years, but doesn't sound like it
    I keep hearing people say the end of this month.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whether Pop retires this after this season or later, the end is approaching sooner rather than later and Chip may just feel it's time.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Heard it is end of this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, he's been on the Spurs' sidelines forever. We'll probably have a whole new crew coaching the team within two seasons anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chip seems like a very patient man. Pop's on record saying the three point shot ruined basketball, while Chip first made his mark at Duke shooting 55% from the 3pt line. They're an interesting pair.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, he's been on the Spurs' sidelines forever. We'll probably have a whole new crew coaching the team within two seasons anyway.
    God willing tbh

Thread Information