Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's an about-face from what he said years before when he deferred to the good judgement of coaches like Pop on this issue. That's Mickey Mouse talking through him, basically. No one wants to lose money. But to me, if he's worried about players resting for no reason, he needs to address tanking. To me, that's even worse for the game.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Players sitting out a game for rest is more frustrating than players sitting out seasons to force trades?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Better stop that 4 games in 5 days . Greedy owners started all this. Haven’t thought that Silver is such an idiot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's an about-face from what he said years before when he deferred to the good judgement of coaches like Pop on this issue. That's Mickey Mouse talking through him, basically. No one wants to lose money. But to me, if he's worried about players resting for no reason, he needs to address tanking. To me, that's even worse for the game.
    I was coming here to say the same. It's incredibly hypocritical to address a valid strategy such as load management which arises from a bad schedule to begin with, and not say anything about tanking which is infinitely more pernicious and negatively affects the game in multiple ways, such as an OKC style tank. He's got some nerve calling out RC Buford and not Presti for what he does...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wouldn’t be surprised if this is the year silver tries to throw a monkey wrench in tanking before next season starts, just to screw to Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No worries. We are tanker even with 100% roster on court.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs have the absolute worst record next season, three teams will jump them and they will end up #4

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There needs to be a balance, but it's hard to find out where that will be. Ideally, there'd be fewer games but players would play in more of them if they are physically capable. But trying to determine when a player can play is tricky. The Spurs know full well how it feels to be on a team where a player complains of an injury that the doctors don't agree on. Resting old guys so they can be effective later on just makes sense. It's good for the game to do that. Having a healthy Spurs for the playoffs was better for the league than having them play a full season.

Silver should be trying to increase the importance of the regular season in relation to the playoffs, and I think he's trying to do that. That's the point of the mid-season tournament. It's hard to come up with stakes for the tourney that actually matter to all players though. Money doesn't matter to the stars, ASB nods don't matter to the scrubs. Post-season perks wouldn't matter to the sucky teams. The only thing I can think of would be some where the playoff field is reduced to eight teams, with the three divisions and the winner of the each conference mid-season tournament get the spots. Fewer spots means teams can't coast, and even flatter odds means teams wouldn't have incentive to tank. It's not perfect, as teams often win their divisions by a lot, and you can easily imagine the two best teams being in one division and having one miss out. It'd also cut down around half of the post-season games by removing a whole round. But their choice to address coasting is to either become a police organization or create negative incentives against coasting as much as possible.

Maybe even dividing the season up into quarters and having a team's seeding being the average rankings of their quarters or something would be a good way to reward teams who are consistently performing at a high level. That seems really hard to pull off though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Players sitting out a game for rest is more frustrating than players sitting out seasons to force trades?
    tbh

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One way to get rid of tanking is to have no built in odds for the draft picks. Any non playoff team has a shot for the number one pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah AIDS Silver, I’m sure that’s that problem with the league

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Madam Silver is a terrible commissioner . Started out fine, then showed he lacks the spine to stand up to the players. Owners should fire him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One way to get rid of tanking is to have no built in odds for the draft picks. Any non playoff team has a shot for the number one pick.
    That's not a bad idea actually.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's not a bad idea actually.
    Was the original system after Houston tanked back to back years to get Sampson and Olajuwon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The walking penis that is Adam Silver back at it again. Maybe don’t schedule 4 road games in 5 days for one of the oldest rosters in the league dumbass

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was the original system after Houston tanked back to back years to get Sampson and Olajuwon.
    Tanking just to have the same % of picking 1 as picking 14 doesn't seem like the best of ideas, tbh. If the NBA really wants to get rid of tanking, they should go back to that system.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really want a 1-16 playoff format with no regard for conferences.

Then let the #1 seed pick their first-round opponent, #2 picks next, etc. until #8 is stuck with whoever is left.

Maybe even repeat this for rounds 2 and 3.

That would make teams play hard all season.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no 1st pick for the spurs in upcoming draft confirmed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the last few years a lot of teams have load managed and I recall only the Spurs getting fined... the season before last when the last half was brutal and they'd just come off covid. Other teams have flagrantly done it and walked free. The guy is a menace and has a clear double standard. He both blames the Spurs for not giving Kawhi to the Lakers and is punishing the Spurs for what the Clippers are currently doing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The reactions to the load management issue is interesting, especially coming from Spurs' fans... Kawhi is disliked, so his load management program makes him a villain, but then when anyone else calls out Pop or the Spurs in general for it, they're the bad guy?

Pop's a smart but stubborn guy, and he could take the heat off himself very easily by just approaching it differently. I think a lot of the load management reaction from the general public and league in general could easily be lessened by simply rewording it to something like "Player X was experiencing some tightness in his lower back, so we've decided to sit him in this upcoming game. We'll re-evaluate in 24 hours and proceed from there."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The reactions to the load management issue is interesting, especially coming from Spurs' fans... Kawhi is disliked, so his load management program makes him a villain, but then when anyone else calls out Pop or the Spurs in general for it, they're the bad guy?

Pop's a smart but stubborn guy, and he could take the heat off himself very easily by just approaching it differently. I think a lot of the load management reaction from the general public and league in general could easily be lessened by simply rewording it to something like "Player X was experiencing some tightness in his lower back, so we've decided to sit him in this upcoming game. We'll re-evaluate in 24 hours and proceed from there."
    Bruh, Kawhi's load management isn't the reason people hate him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not exclusively, but it played an integral part in it.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problems began when he started load managing himself. Or his uncle did it for him.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Silver specifically hates when players are held out from nationally televised games. He didn’t care when LeBron backed out from playing the spurs last season at the last second, because, you know, he was trying to save himself for the playoffs.

Thread Information