Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Westbrook is an expiring, not that bad IMO. But it's a huge number for this upcoming season and I wouldn't settle for just one unprotected 1st rounder for him. Nets/Spurs have the Lakers over a barrel tbh, they should ask for the farm.
    Lakers don't have a farm, that's the problem.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Nets are screwed like the Spurs were when Kawhi demanded trade to Cali - They either play hard ball and he sits out the whole year or they trade him but they not getting 3 or 4 first picks.
    Are you talking Irving or Durant? Irving has already said he never requested a trade. Whatever, he's a weirdo. Either he'll play with them or sit, but he's not a franchise changer like Kawhi.

If Durant, he has multiple years left and will come back to play.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs should still try to sign a couple of old vets who can be coaches on the floor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still don't like the idea of Spurs helping the Lakers in case.
    Well...you absolutely don't do it for only 1 FRP, protected or not. By the time 2027 or 2029 rolls around and the pick confers, Lakers will likely have re-stocked the cupboard with the top free agents at that time so the pick will more than likely come in, in the mid to high 20s. You can't ever count on the Lakers to suck because they have the deeper pockets to absorb the tax and the ability to be at the top of the list for most FAs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would the Spurs buy out Westbrook at that point, or would he stay for the season?
    I can't see them paying 30M for a buyout for 1 FRP. At least not the Spurs I know. Conversely, I can't see them bringing in a aging vet to play hero ball either when they're trying to develop their youngsters. Though Westbrook already has a couple of young disciples on the roster in Primo (TO machine) and Wesley (chucker), so perhaps it's not such a bad move after all...

It just doesn't make sense either way, unless you get 2 unprotected FRPs to then buy him out. Even then, I'm not sure I do that deal.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well...you absolutely don't do it for only 1 FRP, protected or not. By the time 2027 or 2029 rolls around and the pick confers, Lakers will likely have re-stocked the cupboard with the top free agents at that time so the pick will more than likely come in, in the mid to high 20s. You can't ever count on the Lakers to suck because they have the deeper pockets to absorb the tax and the ability to be at the top of the list for most FAs.
    The Lakers have missed the playoffs 7 of the last 9 seasons, including 2 of LeBron's 4 seasons there. They certainly could be a very good team by 2027 through 2029 but there's no guarantee.

I would want at least one unprotected swap from the Lakers if there's only one unprotected pick incoming.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't see them paying 30M for a buyout for 1 FRP. At least not the Spurs I know. Conversely, I can't see them bringing in a aging vet to play hero ball either when they're trying to develop their youngsters. Though Westbrook already has a couple of young disciples on the roster in Primo (TO machine) and Wesley (chucker), so perhaps it's not such a bad move after all...

It just doesn't make sense either way, unless you get 2 unprotected FRPs to then buy him out. Even then, I'm not sure I do that deal.
    Agree 100 why have that ballhog influencing young Spurs with super bad habits and zero BBIQ play.

Am i taking crazy pills or what. Is the board really floating even the remote reality of Westbrook for one or even two picks?
    One is absurd and should be dismissed as super bad trolling and/or Magic Johnson repping the Lakers.
    Two picks still sucks ass unless it includes McForbesbot and another undesirable contract going back.

Paying 47 million to buy a couple completely unknown where in the 1st round they would fall picks?
    Don't be Brian Wrong.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not sure why folks are outraged if $40 mil or so buys you an unprotected first. It's incredibly rare that similar deals happen at all and usually the going rate for a lottery protected 1st is a salary commitment of about $20 mil. Unprotected firsts are gold, even from the Lakers - they've been in the lottery a lot lately. It's a risk but this would be one of the better risks a rebuilding team could make.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not sure why folks are outraged if $40 mil or so buys you an unprotected first. It's incredibly rare that similar deals happen at all and usually the going rate for a lottery protected 1st is a salary commitment of about $20 mil. Unprotected firsts are gold, even from the Lakers - they've been in the lottery a lot lately. It's a risk but this would be one of the better risks a rebuilding team could make.
    I don't mind the team paying Westbrook's salary for the pick. But they better also get a second pick for Poeltl. I like unprotected picks, but I'm cool with guaranteed picks and would be fine getting a couple of those instead of paying so much for a single unprotected pick. The Spurs don't need to fall too much in love with the lottery.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How long before these tidbits make it to Bleacher?

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree with what a few others have said here…only getting one first for Poetl/JRich/taking on Westbrook’s contract would be a disappointment in my eyes. Ideally those assets should yield us at least 2 firsts.

That being said I’m just glad it seems like we have a firm direction. Getting a deal or two like the ones talked about here would firmly put to rest any ideas that the FO isn’t committed to tanking.
    Not committed to tanking should have been put to rest when Murray was traded for future draft picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't mind the team paying Westbrook's salary for the pick. But they better also get a second pick for Poeltl. I like unprotected picks, but I'm cool with guaranteed picks and would be fine getting a couple of those instead of paying so much for a single unprotected pick. The Spurs don't need to fall too much in love with the lottery.
    Fully agree. The Spurs are selling 3 assets - $30+ mil of cap space, Poeltl and Richardson. Now, at the end of the day, regardless of what deals they make, if they could get an unprotected 1st and another say lottery protected pick for the three they'd have done damn well.

Instead, reading ST, one would expect them to get two or three unprotected picks and more, which expectations are bound to be shattered by reality. Again, I think the Gobert trade has shook everyone's perception of value. Teams don't get unprotected firsts for renting cap space. It just doesn't happen. If the Spurs could get one, it'd be a huge win.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    is it really the best idea to get rid of ALL of our vets?

won't we need someone after the smoke clears to be with these young guys as they get better?

having a team full of 19-23 years old is going to lead to bad habit basketball imo. no matter how good they are.

you always need at least 1 or 2 vets to help guide these guys.

i'm curious if their plan is to get the talent first and then try to sign up some vets once we start seeing some real potential with this young group?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is pretty much exactly what I expected:
    1) Hoping the Suns not to match so that we'd be the only team with enough cap space to facilitate a trade and thus increasing its value.
    2) Hoping Myles isn't on the move so that Poelt's price goes up as the last viable center standing.
    3) Trying to move Poeltl & Richardson before the season (*cough* tank *cough*)
    The only thing that strikes me as odd, is that the Spurs would only require a single draft pick to take back Westbrook's contract, which seems really cheap, unless it's part of a larger deal like this I thought of:
    Well... I think there could be a framework for us to get in that trade, but we'd have to send out quite a few players...
    Something like:
    SA: In: Westbrook, picks - Out: McDermott, Poeltl, Richardson, KBD
    LA - In: Irving, McDermott - Out: Westbrook, picks
    BKN: - In: Poeltl, Richardson, KDB, picks - Out: Irving
    Now before you say Brooklyn doesn't need Poeltl, I'm simply laying a general framework where we could be involved... Probably it'd require some team that could use Poeltl giving something up that the Nets need (Chicago? Toronto? Utah?). But the overall salary structure works.
    I don't think the Nets would require all that much in terms of picks compensation for 1 year worth of Kyrie, he's a distraction and his market is reduced to one team. So probably one unprotected from LA plus something else.. maybe an unprotected 1st from LA plus whatever a 4th team that wants Poeltl can give them.
    Basically for us, we take on about 10M worth of salary (which leaves plenty of room to facilitate other trades) and we get out of McDermott's remaining contract. Richardson is unlikely to command a 1st in return so he's the price for moving McDermott (maybe a couple second rounders on top) and trading Poeltl embraces the rebuild. As compensation we get maybe Philly's 2023 1st (owned by Brooklyn) and an unprotected pic from LA, plus ridding ourselves of McDermott now.

Now I'm not saying this is an easy or likely scenario, but it's a working scenario that, give or take a few picks could be a reasonable middle ground for all parties.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Random thoughts.

1. Being part of a large trade that helps facilitate Irving going to the Lakers, to me, doesn’t necessarily mean a win for the Lakers. I may be in the minority here, but I see Irving as a disaster almost as bad as Westbrook; he’s been hated at his last two teams for his dysfunction; but yeah, in the stable Los Angeles environment I’m sure things will work out fine!

2. Maybe don’t trade Josh Richardson? He seems to be great for morale, and next season is going to have pretty horrible morale if I had to take a guess.

3. Pop trying to rehabilitate Westbrook is too weird, too bizarre not to be at least a little bit interested in. If nothing else, the Spurs will get some amount of national media attention just for that train wreck. If anyone could tame Westbrook, it would be Pop. For the right amount of draft a capital in return, I’m intrigued.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fully agree. The Spurs are selling 3 assets - $30+ mil of cap space, Poeltl and Richardson. Now, at the end of the day, regardless of what deals they make, if they could get an unprotected 1st and another say lottery protected pick for the three they'd have done damn well.

Instead, reading ST, one would expect them to get two or three unprotected picks and more, which expectations are bound to be shattered by reality. Again, I think the Gobert trade has shook everyone's perception of value. Teams don't get unprotected firsts for renting cap space. It just doesn't happen. If the Spurs could get one, it'd be a huge win.
    True. But this isn't your average cap space rental. Everyone and their mother knows the Lakers are desperate to move Westbrook at Lebron's insistence to get them a player in Kyrie that gives him his last best chance to ring. And there are only two teams that can even do it. Plus they're the flucking Lakers. Therefore, it's two FRPs, fully unprotected, or hit the brick road.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    3. Pop trying to rehabilitate Westbrook is too weird, too bizarre not to be at least a little bit interested in. If nothing else, the Spurs will get some amount of national media attention just for that train wreck. If anyone could tame Westbrook, it would be Pop. For the right amount of draft a capital in return, I’m intrigued.
    There's incentive in taking Westbrook's contract, not in rehabilitating him, which is tougher than rehabilitating a 50 year user of heroin. Giving playing time and resources to Westbrook as opposed to focusing on Wesley and Tre would come at a huge cost, for only a marginal gain (in rep for Pop, not for the Spurs).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Plus it's their incompetent front office that made the move to bring in Westbrook and his two years of his annual 47M in salary. Tough Lakers. Pay up or go through another disastrous season. Problem for them, which I must say gives me Schadenfreude, is that if they do the deal with us, they have no assets to complete the Kyrie trade with Brooklyn.

Oh it'd be ing hilarious if it wasn't so ing hilarious.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's incentive in taking Westbrook's contract, not in rehabilitating him, which is tougher than rehabilitating a 50 year user of heroin. Giving playing time and resources to Westbrook as opposed to focusing on Wesley and Tre would come at a huge cost, for only a marginal gain (in rep for Pop, not for the Spurs).
    I’m not totally serious about Pop and Westbrook. Basically, I’m expecting a horrible season next year and if Westbrook brought in enough draft capital, then it would be an amusing distraction. To think about it seriously, yeah, you have to balance how destructive his presence would be versus how much those future picks might help us long-term.

But if fans are worried about the owners moving the team, does Westbrook sell any more tickets or create enough attention for the Spurs that in any way keeps the owners and (casual) fanbase still interested in the team? Very likely not. But maybe? And this is a pivotal moment that probably could impact the team in several different ways moving forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Westbrook would fill the seats more than what the team has now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not committed to tanking should have been put to rest when Murray was traded for future draft picks.
    I don’t disagree, but that didn’t stop several people on here from arguing otherwise

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    is it really the best idea to get rid of ALL of our vets?

won't we need someone after the smoke clears to be with these young guys as they get better?

having a team full of 19-23 years old is going to lead to bad habit basketball imo. no matter how good they are.

you always need at least 1 or 2 vets to help guide these guys.

i'm curious if their plan is to get the talent first and then try to sign up some vets once we start seeing some real potential with this young group?
    McDermott and JRich and Jak aren’t exactly seasoned.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1) FTL

2) Why (if true) would the Spurs be grossly underrating Purtle? Unless the spurs front ofc includes idiot spurstalk posters - why would purtles value be so low?

I say play purtle until the trade deadline and let teams salivate over adding purtle to their playoff chances -

THEN swoop in for some unprotected FRP's

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    McDermott and JRich and Jak aren’t exactly seasoned.
    Of course they are. The point is they know how to be professionals in the league. How to take care of their bodies, eat, sleep, prepare, be responsible and handle themselves. Even Poeltl, but definition the other two guys who have been around for a while. A team of young players need these types.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    THEN swoop in for some unprotected FRP's
    We just traded Dejounte (an actual all star with 2 years left at a bargain price) for 2 unprotected FRP (plus an unprotected swap and a pick that may never convey)... and you expect a similar package ("some unprotected FRP's") for a 4 month rental (trade deadline to end of season) of a good to average center? That's not going to happen.

Thread Information