Post Count
    I noticed two disturbing trends…

branham gets stripped of the ball - a LOT

Wesley is a crappy shooter and a ball hog

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Granted it's the lowest bar in the league, but Branham is probably already the best and most polished scorer on the team. He also already appears to have modernized his shot profile.

Wesley might have one of the most explosive first steps I've ever seen, but he's an out of control, selfish, low IQ mess.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    David Roddy AND Lofton Jr. Man, Memphis is all in on “fat guys with skills”.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has anyone compared Wes to Lonnie on being explosive but can't finish? Where's Lonnie now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has anyone compared Wes to Lonnie on being explosive but can't finish? Where's Lonnie now
    The comparison may be apt, but Wesley has plenty of time to improve and I think he comes in with the more polished shot.

More important, he's like 10x more aggressive than Lonnie ever was...to the point where he will need to dial it back a bit. I have no qualms with him jacking up shots in Summer League, especially since guys like Primo, Sochan, and eventually Days went out. The only person who I think it really affected was Branham, who I think should have seen more touches.

It will be interesting how he fits into Pop's system because I doubt he wants a rookie putting up 20 shots.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The comparison may be apt, but Wesley has plenty of time to improve and I think he comes in with the more polished shot.

More important, he's like 10x more aggressive than Lonnie ever was...to the point where he will need to dial it back a bit. I have no qualms with him jacking up shots in Summer League, especially since guys like Primo, Sochan, and eventually Days went out. The only person who I think it really affected was Branham, who I think should have seen more touches.

It will be interesting how he fits into Pop's system because I doubt he wants a rookie putting up 20 shots.
    Or maybe he wants this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Few similarities if any.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie avoided contacts but would make that two pumps and try to lay it up. Wesley just plain wants to dunk it on everybody, relishes contacts and just pure fearlessness. And totally different mentality on both, Wesley believes he’s the best in the court while Lonnie defers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have not watched this 5th game yet but Wesley tries many layups and gets blocked very often. His quick first step is great and if the Spurs would have great three point shooters spreading the court then this would be a great scoring threat. But in the four SL games I have watched the defenders quickly surround Wesley and just block his shot.

Branham tries to to dunk and of course misses as any Spurs rookies do ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have not watched this 5th game yet but Wesley tries many layups and gets blocked very often. His quick first step is great and if the Spurs would have great three point shooters spreading the court then this would be a great scoring threat. But in the four SL games I have watched the defenders quickly surround Wesley and just block his shot.

Branham tries to to dunk and of course misses as any Spurs rookies do ...
    I noticed this too...dude got blocked at the rim so much. It's like he just goes up and hopes for the best...that's not gonna work against NBA athletes.

He'll need to learn to either put a body into somebody to take away the block, or start developing some short-range game (floaters, stop-and-pops, etc.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Until now Wes has been accustomed to using his explosive first step to blow by people and get layups but at this level you will be contested at the rim.
    Wes also doesn't get a lot of elevation off of one foot so he needs to get craftier on his finishes around the basket or maybe even just slow down a little bit to figure out a better finish.

DJM had similar struggles at the rim. His offensive game took a big leap forward in the last two seasons when he finally found a way to use his length to get off his sweeping right handed layups.
    I think Wes will figure out his go-to finishing moves as well. I think more reverse layups for starters.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wesley will get better handling the ball and harnessing his speed of play. He will get better….. best place in the world for him to develop. Great canvas to work with!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wesley needs to learn the tear drop aka Parker to keep the big honest when he attacks the basket.

Thread Information