Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you consider that they are getting not one, not two, but three KJ's for that price, it's a freaking steal of a price to pay.
    hahaha none of which should be playing the 4.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you consider that they are getting not one, not two, but three KJ's for that price, it's a freaking steal of a price to pay.
    Okay, I laughed.
    That was good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe the extra large one is better suited for the PF position

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Being told Keldon Johnson’s extension with San Antonio is for 4 years, $74 million, with $1.5 million of bonuses for each season to reach that possible $80 million total. Johnson’s salary also declines in value: $20M for Y1, then $19M for Y2, $17.5M for Y3 and $17.5M for Y4.

Jake Fischer

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Being told Keldon Johnson’s extension with San Antonio is for 4 years, $74 million, with $1.5 million of bonuses for each season to reach that possible $80 million total. Johnson’s salary also declines in value: $20M for Y1, then $19M for Y2, $17.5M for Y3 and $17.5M for Y4.

Jake Fischer
    Damn, solid deal

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Intersting that he agreed to a declining contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are there limits to how much a contract can decline per yr? Surprised the Spurs didn’t frontload it more tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Jake Fischer
    Not that I would necessarily want it to happen, but that contract makes him even more tradeable now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keldon at the two maybe? I like Sochan at the three…..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Jake Fischer
    That’s Keldon believing on the Spurs that they will try to get him help soon. I’m more comfortable with Keldon vs DJ as a leader. He loves Pop genuinely (have to say Pop pulled him and got him a rare chance at Olympic gold would be up there). He doesn’t really talked like DJ, and just trained better to handle media. And again it’s something PATFO prefers, and avoids drama. He also gives 100% out there every night and sets that example to the young team. I wish Keldon well.

Now I was hoping he plays 6th man as the most ideal position for him . But given the current situation, he would have to start. I’m just hoping at SF position and so he doesn’t get overmatched and project that he is not the weak link in the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keldon at the two maybe? I like Sochan at the three…..
    Bro bro. Are you serious?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s Keldon believing on the Spurs that they will try to get him help soon. I’m more comfortable with Keldon vs DJ as a leader. He loves Pop genuinely (have to say Pop pulled him and got him a rare chance at Olympic gold would be up there). He doesn’t really talked like DJ, and just trained better to handle media. And again it’s something PATFO prefers, and avoids drama. He also gives 100% out there every night and sets that example to the young team. I wish Keldon well.

Now I was hoping he plays 6th man as the most ideal position for him . But given the current situation, he would have to start. I’m just hoping at SF position and so he doesn’t get overmatched and project that he is not the weak link in the team.
    once we trade him you're gonna say the exact opposite of what you just said

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bro bro. Are you serious?
    He’s slimming down but he still plays big, shooting guards shoot, and he can play serviceable d I’m thinking. No to a primo, kj, js, robie, poodle lineup?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It works on 2k! Lol………no it really does!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    once we trade him you're gonna say the exact opposite of what you just said
    Being traded is part of the business and winning. It’s how players handle it with maturity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s slimming down but he still plays big, shooting guards shoot, and he can play serviceable d I’m thinking. No to a primo, kj, js, robie, poodle lineup?
    I think whether we like it or not KJ will be exclusively at the 4 this year and Sochan splits time between the 4 and 5.

In a perfect world I like Keldon off the bench as a 30 min a night guy backing up both the 3 and 4; matchup dependent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It makes sense frontloading the contract, since the Spurs cap sheet is pretty damn clean next summer. It's interesting whether there's a player option for the 4th year and whether the incentives are likely or unlikely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMO the ideal role for Keldon would have been to pair him with Sochan and a guy like Bridges (prior to him being a felony abuser) - a trio of guys who can all rotate and combine at the 3 and 4 and play 30 minutes per night.

Anyway, Spurs put together a smart contract. That's good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It makes sense frontloading the contract, since the Spurs cap sheet is pretty damn clean next summer. It's interesting whether there's a player option for the 4th year and whether the incentives are likely or unlikely.
    If Gay’s/DEjounte’s variable comp is any indication it’s probably oretty unlikely.

Great deal for both sides regardless but I also think it shows a true market value for Keldon who pribably isn’t seen around the keague as more than a solid, young role player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Intersting that he agreed to a declining contract.
    It's not that surprising. He gets more money earlier and he has more ammo to complain about being underpaid later on. If the Spurs still have cap space in three years (and still have Keldon), then he put himself into a decent position for a renegotiation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Jake Fischer
    Seems suspect unless they're banking on yet another more financially solid extension? I mean who takes less and less as they get closer and closer to.their prime?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seems suspect unless they're banking on yet another more financially solid extension? I mean who takes less and less as they get closer and closer to.their prime?
    Have seen a lot of contracts this offseason with similar formats. Makes sense if you have the cap space ahead of the new CBA. But front-loading is also better for the player, if you assume that the total number is fixed. A dollar today is generally worth more than a dollar 4 years from now. The best deal for a player in theory would be to have all the salary up front on day 1. However, in practicality a lot of these guys probably aren't the most fiscally responsible and this would likely lead to a lot of broke basketball players.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's about the average. Don't look at it as declining...look at it as he's getting some pf his year 3 and 4 money a couple years early...it helps the Spurs cap in future years and helps Keldon by getting it sooner..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly it's a real boon to get more money up front.
    It's kind of why NFL players always agree to a restructure because they get a ton of money up front.
    The sooner you can get those insane amounts of dollars into investments and compound interest accounts the better.
    That's money making money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just met Keldon at the San Antonio airport a second ago. Nice guy.

Thread Information