Page 36 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've never met one person ever that went to a lake to exercise.

I'm also in SA north side probably 30 minutes from a lake or river.

Not sure poor people can walk to the closest lake or community pool here. Our park system here really blows. Austin is much better about that.
    I guess I was basing my comments on the original, "It’s possible, but probably not for poorer folks." To me, that's not only talking about poverty level poor. Just that a pool might be out of reach. There are plenty of people who can't afford a pool but not, "poor". I don't know anyone that goes to a lake for exercise either. But I'm sure they're out there. It doesn't have to just be swimming laps. Anyway...just pointing out that not having a pool doesn't mean there aren't other options to swim...if that's your thing and what you really want to do. Maybe the lake was the worst example compared to the Y or a local health facility.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess I was basing my comments on the original, "It’s possible, but probably not for poorer folks." To me, that's not only talking about poverty level poor. Just that a pool might be out of reach. There are plenty of people who can't afford a pool but not, "poor". I don't know anyone that goes to a lake for exercise either. But I'm sure they're out there. It doesn't have to just be swimming laps. Anyway...just pointing out that not having a pool doesn't mean there aren't other options to swim...if that's your thing and what you really want to do. Maybe the lake was the worst example compared to the Y or a local health facility.
    Man, I think you're really overestimating a great many people's abilities to get to water in SA. I mean I guess they can blow up a Walmart pool and do sit ups

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol go for a run in 100 degree heat. No problem.
    I've been doing it all summer. It's not a problem.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, I think you're really overestimating a great many people's abilities to get to water in SA. I mean I guess they can blow up a Walmart pool and do sit ups
    No idea about SA. Maybe I am overestimating it now looking at a map. You keep ignoring my comments about the YMCA though. For a decent price, you can get yourself clean, you can have a good meal, you pretty much do whatever you feel.
    But for real, you can get a family membership for less than $100 and they do have financial aid. Or you can get a cheap above ground pool. Or you can do like thousands of people do and go into debt and build one. But, you're acting like you have to be rich to swim.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Total that. I'll drive my car to get the mail from my mailbox.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Totally believable

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No idea about SA. Maybe I am overestimating it now looking at a map. You keep ignoring my comments about the YMCA though. For a decent price, you can get yourself clean, you can have a good meal, you pretty much do whatever you feel.
    But for real, you can get a family membership for less than $100 and they do have financial aid. Or you can get a cheap above ground pool. Or you can do like thousands of people do and go into debt and build one. But, you're acting like you have to be rich to swim.
    The YMCA isn't a bad option for a lot of people but not a whole lot of Ys to go around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The YMCA isn't a bad option for a lot of people but not a whole lot of Ys to go around.
    It also looks like SA has a pretty good amount of public facilities that have a pool and are free to use. PM me your address and budget, and I'll find you a reasonable place to swim.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's an option that seems lower cost if you want to use the pool for exercise...

https://fitmaxipool.com/shop/ipool-3/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    kayaking is good exercise when it's hot. There is a lake right off Wurzbach Parkway on the north side and kayaking at the coast is amazing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It also looks like SA has a pretty good amount of public facilities that have a pool and are free to use. PM me your address and budget, and I'll find you a reasonable place to swim.
    Do it for a person riding the bus in uh 78249 zip code or 78216 or 78259

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do it for a person riding the bus in uh 78249 zip code or 78216 or 78259
    Just buy a Tesla.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    kayaking is good exercise when it's hot. There is a lake right off Wurzbach Parkway on the north side and kayaking at the coast is amazing.
    Perfect for the average San Antonian

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And people exercise at lakes a lot. Im sitting on the back porch watching skiers, wake boarders and jet skiers go by. Also the random kayaker or paddle boarder. I also have a seacycle that is great exercise.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Not sure poor people can walk to the closest lake or community pool here. Our park system here really blows. Austin is much better about that.
    They actually do have group triathlete swims at Boerne lake which is sort of "close" time wise. Its good for open swims such as one might encounter in these contests.
    But again it costs money to get in, it costs money to join the group, and if your job is not flexible the hours may be out of possibility in your daily life.
    And honestly, people who train for these things have to have a super strict schedule and time.

I met a group of guys who work construction and then bike after work. I saw them eating at lunch at my favorite Mexican food restaurant and then met them on the trails. Asked them how they were able to accomplish this. And they said trail biking was something they HAD to do for fun. I asked them if they knew other construction workers who did this and I got a giant NO. Very impressive group. But super rare. And with daylight savings time in the future I dont know what they do because it will be dark when they get off. Bottom line it costs money to even exercise properly in this kind of weather. And it certainly might not fit in with work.

I personally think this is a shame because physical health makes going to school, work, etc... much more productive imo. We dont need families sitting inside during the summer just sweating it out getting on each others nerves. It makes work harder for the police. We saw what Covid caused when it kept families inside. Not good. But hopefully fall through spring will allow peeps to get out and about more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tell the poor folks to just buy a pool and stop whining
    Blake is poor and lashing out while the left here curses the sky.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Poor people walked from South America. Pretty sure they can make it to a body of water.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh its a complete mystery the 1850 number?
    I mean nothing like CO2 levels shot up or anything like that with the advent of machines that worked off of wood and other carbon fuel.
    Brain dead people. The Industrial Revolution and the results of it are like a complete mystery??????????? The greatest upslope of warming occurred in 1975 to now. Its NOT linear.

This video above is loaded with wrong. This rate is very unusual. This guy is not a climatologist. Physics people are also especially bad at trying to make broad statements knowing only their field. The ATMOSPHERE plays a large role. And all the physicists that are sure we can measure human intelligence when they have no idea what this even means. Stay in your lane. You are not an expert in THE FIELD you speak about. The experts say you are wrong.

We cut out CFCs to prevent ozone depletion and by god.... it WORKED. So thinking humans cannot change the atmosphere is just totally ridiculous. We solved acid rain in Canada and other Europeans zones as well. We figured at what caused it and we changed our ways.

Humans are evolved TROPICAL species he says. And then what the did we do? Go populate deserts, coastlines, and some of the coldest places on EARTH. We are not apes only walking around a savannah anymore. This guy above seem to think so.

This stuff above is just absolutely boffo silly. It completely misses the point that there are now 7.8 billion people living in all kinds of places. Not 100,000 souls not understanding much of anything and barely getting by in any sort of extremes. There where very few people on the face of the earth when we lived in ONLY tropical climates. We can handle the heat, but its already costing huge amounts of money. I thought the red team was worried about spending and budgets, and longer term thinkers?

Or its just "I live right NOW, so fk the future" ? Humans wont go extinct anytime soon unless we have some sort of large impact or possibly a nuke party. But denying the Earth atmosphere and oceans are warming at rates beyond what we have experienced before is total BS. And saying we have zero impact is also total BS. And its costing us, the world, a of a lot of money.

This video is bull .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poor people walked from South America. Pretty sure they can make it to a body of water.
    Clueless comparison.

Yeah they walked from South America spending their life savings and then getting preyed upon by all sorts of goons on the way up.
    Oh and some came by truck loaded up. It did not end well. But yeah, it was easy to get here. So lets compare this to those of us who are lucky enough to get easily to a body of water for exercise and cooling off...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For daily exercise through kayaking and triathlete training at local lakes. Of course.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For daily exercise through kayaking and triathlete training at local lakes. Of course.
    pobrocito, cannot afford to go to the lake, el patamobile is broken down too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clueless comparison.

Yeah they walked from South America spending their life savings and then getting preyed upon by all sorts of goons on the way up.
    Oh and some came by truck loaded up. It did not end well. But yeah, it was easy to get here. So lets compare this to those of us who are lucky enough to get easily to a body of water for exercise and cooling off...
    How many are you sheltering?

Ya thought so.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DarrinMC will start talking about his zip code too any minute now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They actually do have group triathlete swims at Boerne lake which is sort of "close" time wise. Its good for open swims such as one might encounter in these contests.
    But again it costs money to get in, it costs money to join the group, and if your job is not flexible the hours may be out of possibility in your daily life.
    And honestly, people who train for these things have to have a super strict schedule and time.

I met a group of guys who work construction and then bike after work. I saw them eating at lunch at my favorite Mexican food restaurant and then met them on the trails. Asked them how they were able to accomplish this. And they said trail biking was something they HAD to do for fun. I asked them if they knew other construction workers who did this and I got a giant NO. Very impressive group. But super rare. And with daylight savings time in the future I dont know what they do because it will be dark when they get off. Bottom line it costs money to even exercise properly in this kind of weather. And it certainly might not fit in with work.

I personally think this is a shame because physical health makes going to school, work, etc... much more productive imo. We dont need families sitting inside during the summer just sweating it out getting on each others nerves. It makes work harder for the police. We saw what Covid caused when it kept families inside. Not good. But hopefully fall through spring will allow peeps to get out and about more.
    pgardn out sleezing and creeping for construction workers

Thread Information