my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hope i don’t jinx it but no hurricanes
    Weird
    The season has shifted.
    Its starts later and ends later.

But I read that some of the depressions that have formed this year would not develop further due to high level winds creating shear conditions.
    The water has more than enough heat though. We still need rain so maybe some tropical lows come ashore.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So only second worst summer ever recorded in San Antonio if we don't hit 100 again, with all six of the worst in the last 25 years.
    We had some extremely hot days that did not just reach 100, they went several degrees above. Lucky it was dry heat for the most part. (for those who like to go outside.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, I guess it's R.I.P. to this thread

Nature just balancing itself out without our help, again.

Balancing itself out...

wtf does that mean?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Drove through Yuma,AZ yesterday on my way to Tucson, was ing 110 degrees.

That said, gas was cheap, looks like even the locals can afford it.

Blue State looking good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Balancing itself out...

wtf does that mean?
    Carlin was a bitter ole bitty who hates Creation beliefs.

I do like some of his stuff.
    ie The Pro Life people on children

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So only second worst summer ever recorded in San Antonio if we don't hit 100 again, with all six of the worst in the last 25 years.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL from the person who made a thread about lightbulbs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also isn't SA highly likely to hit 100 again in this new climate change weather?

Or is end of August cooling until next summer?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also isn't SA highly likely to hit 100 again in this new climate change weather?

Or is end of August cooling until next summer?
    Pretty decent chance we hit 100 at some point in September, which if we hit it one more time would tie 2009 for most days of 100+ in a year. Tomorrow and Monday are supposed to be a degree or two above average (94 or 95 is average this time of year) but we're supposed to drop a few degrees below average after that for a few days. Nice thing is even if it hits 100 after say the first week of September it's not likely to be every day like it was in July or even June when the days it wasn't 100+ it would mostly be 98 or 99, thanks to the days getting shorter pretty quickly. September is usually a pretty hot month here though and our hottest temperature ever recorded (111 or 112, I forget which) was in September of 2000 if I remember right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tangent

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just in time for peak CA wildfires

Couldn't be related to epochal drought and heat, though. Correlation is not causation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It wasn't just the monsoon, it was the preceding three solid months of record heat hitting the glaciers in the north. If they melt, there is no more SWAT river qua river valley with a river until the snowpack builds again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pakistan is the world's fifth largest country by population, has more glaciers than any country not in a polar region.

"Literally, one-third of Pakistan is underwater right now, which has exceeded every boundary, every norm we've seen in the past," Ms Rehman told AFP news agency.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-62712301

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tangent

Yup, great river for a boat ride to cool off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    about a foot

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tl;dr

Heat Index is bad at measuring extreme heat

IN THE LATE 1970s, a physicist and textiles engineer in Texas named Robert Steadman published a paper called “The Assessment of Sultriness.” The le reflected an unpleasant sort of steaminess—how temperature and humidity combine to make life hard on the body. To do it, he drew on a long history of experimentation. In the 18th century, people climbed into ovens warmed to 250 degrees Fahrenheit to see how long they could suffer, as they watched steaks cook beside them. In the 19th and early 20th centuries, researchers observed people sweat in Turkish baths and reported from mines where they measured the ambient conditions as workers collapsed from heat exhaustion. Later on, the military picked up more of the testing, deriving equations for how blood flow, sweat, and breathing respond to atmospheric extremes.

What was unique to Steadman was his intimate knowledge of clothes; he was known for projects like a universal sizing system for garments, and motors that could spin fine cotton yarn. After all, he theorized, people are rarely naked in the heat, so our perception of it must be mediated by a combination of physiology and clothing. His formulas assumed precise percentages of how much skin would be covered with fabric, and how specific mixes of air and fiber would transfer heat from the air.

What’s surprising is that, for a set of calculations developed by a textiles researcher, Steadman’s measure of sultriness proved useful for weather forecasters, especially in the United States. In 1990, a scientist at the National Weather Service adapted them with Steadman’s key features more or less intact. Henceforth, the sultriness index came to be known more (or perhaps less) pithily as the “heat index," though it's also sometimes called the “apparent temperature” or “real feel.”
    https://www.wired.com/story/the-us-i...me-heat-wrong/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Pool days are dwindling
    Might have been able to use the pool today. I had the AC on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Might have been able to use the pool today. I had the AC on.
    Or like karrin, you could have gone outside to drink a cold beer and called police on blacks passing through neighborhood.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So was 2022 a record breaker?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In what way? For SA?

The basic modeling for climate change says the average temperature of the earth's atmosphere and oceans will continue to rise.
    This will be accompanied by very erratic temp variation. So different regions climate might take a big shift in precipitation, and at the same time have very low temps with very high temps. As the atmosphere, ocean and land exchange heat with each other this will involve possible shifts of ocean currents which will then shift the climate of certain areas drastically. The easy part is the temperature is rising. The temp highs and lows will be erratic. Precipitation will be erratic. Storms will be more severe in amount of precipitation and wind. Long term tides will be more difficult to predict as ocean currents change.

It would be nice if we could know what parts of the country might shift to crop yielding areas to plan ahead. Looks like all buildings and housing is gonna require better insulation and stability in storms. This is just part of it. Gonna cost a load of money, already has.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Set record for most days over 90 degrees.
    Second place for over 100 degrees.
    Second lowest rainfall total.

There is more but I guess the post le is what you wanted.
    One caveat is that our averages for this year much more accurate than say the record for the lowest rainfall in 1917.
    We have more measuring devices in a larger area of the city. Within the city there was a good deal of variation this year in rainfall.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This ing June is turning into last year's July

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    JFC all last summer all we heard was our temps are sky high because of the rainless spring. Now we had a reasonably rainy spring and we still get the absurdly robust heat domes bringing us to the same temperatures, now just with added humidity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's turning into a ing repeat of last June

Absolutely sucks.
    We knew this drastic variation in temperature was coming.
    But this quickly?

No idea how easily this can be reversed and how quickly.

Thread Information