Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't players mostly want to be where people are making movies and rap music?

Anyway, I don't want bummy half-decent free agents like LaVine etc on the Spurs unless they specifically want to come be part of the Spurs.

I'll wait til we draft well, and if someone wants to leave to be a Hollywood-esque star, they'll still do that in Austin.

DFW is the future hub area anyway.
    Your favourite rapper is Eminem confirmed.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your favourite rapper is Eminem confirmed.
    Cole. Used to be Kanye, but I can't rock with that guy anymore. I do like Eminem too though!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still charging for tickets prices like Spurs are championship running squad will be a downfall.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clubs? What big club do you think is bringing people out? You really think 5-star athletes are really hyped about going to Palazio or Yellow Rose? Or hanging out at Rose Room?

I'll admit that the restaurant scene is marginally better in Austin, but again...that's not going to change the mind of max player if they are choosing between Austin, Miami, or LA.

I actually love Austin....but like I've said and will continue to say, trading in 50 years of valued history to try to force an NBA team into a city that doesn't really give a MAKES NO SENSE.

I used to go to 3-5 games a year. Since I moved to Austin, I'm lucky to go to 1 or 2 because that drive down 35 in rush hour traffic is a major pain in the ass. It's not as easy as some of you are making it out to be to just "make the quick trip up"
    if spurs move to austin then san antonio has lost the team that sa wants and austin doesn't care about
    This has come up in other threads- but I just don't see it.
    First as pointed out by many and summed up perfectly above, I don't think Austin has any interest in the Spurs.
    It's also not like Austin is a major metro area. SA and Austin are 24th and 28th in population and 32nd and 26th in GDP. SA modestly more people and Austin slightly higher GDP.
    Combined they still wouldn't be in the top 10 in either population or GDP.
    While I've seen articles describing the two cities merging into a metroplex I just don't see it. It's 70 miles from center to center and even with the god awful sprawl of Houston- a 30 mile radius get's you the majority of people.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clubs? What big club do you think is bringing people out? You really think 5-star athletes are really hyped about going to Palazio or Yellow Rose? Or hanging out at Rose Room?

I'll admit that the restaurant scene is marginally better in Austin, but again...that's not going to change the mind of max player if they are choosing between Austin, Miami, or LA.

I actually love Austin....but like I've said and will continue to say, trading in 50 years of valued history to try to force an NBA team into a city that doesn't really give a MAKES NO SENSE.

I used to go to 3-5 games a year. Since I moved to Austin, I'm lucky to go to 1 or 2 because that drive down 35 in rush hour traffic is a major pain in the ass. It's not as easy as some of you are making it out to be to just "make the quick trip up"
    How many lanes on I-35 to Austin? They need to add more lanes.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still charging for tickets prices like Spurs are championship running squad will be a downfall.
    Attendance is going to tank this year.
    That's why it's important for the Spurs for a quick turnaround in a year or two with a superstar player or two.

The city won't support a losing team for long.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How many lanes on I-35 to Austin? They need to add more lanes.
    2 to 4, depending upon how much construction they are doing at the time (which is always)

And it's pretty much landlocked now because the gap from San Antonio to Austin has been completely built up with strip malls and retail outlets. New Braunfels, San Marcos, Kyle, Buda...all are booming because Austin is too freaking expensive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    haha that was great. Even better the guy that wrote that still just sounds like a fking moron. Austin strikes me as a place where two groups of mostly en led idiots clash to complain about each other.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Attendance is going to tank this year.
    That's why it's important for the Spurs for a quick turnaround in a year or two with a superstar player or two.

The city won't support a losing team for long.
    Which is why this delayed rebuild was so frustrating and potentially damaging long term.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And that article was written in 2014. Since then and since Covid I’ve been told there are way more obnoxious start up billionaires, yuppies, trust fund kids, programmers from California who are completely socially awkward, “Dallas people, LA people”. . There is little weird left. More like, buzzworthy things that the local paper the Austin Chronicle hypes up, which it has always been doing. I lived there about 13 years. For people who want to live in Texas and avoid the rest of the conservative cesspool, I suppose there aren’t great options, but San Antonio is slowly starting to get a little bit of that spill over.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Dex is in here defensing his boring city of san antonio with all his might..........san antonions have an ego problem because of a city 1 hour away that is far superior in every way

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dex is in here defensing his boring city of san antonio with all his might..........san antonions have an ego problem because of a city 1 hour away that is far superior in every way
    I live in Austin, dumbass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This has come up in other threads- but I just don't see it.
    First as pointed out by many and summed up perfectly above, I don't think Austin has any interest in the Spurs.
    It's also not like Austin is a major metro area. SA and Austin are 24th and 28th in population and 32nd and 26th in GDP. SA modestly more people and Austin slightly higher GDP.
    Combined they still wouldn't be in the top 10 in either population or GDP.
    While I've seen articles describing the two cities merging into a metroplex I just don't see it. It's 70 miles from center to center and even with the god awful sprawl of Houston- a 30 mile radius get's you the majority of people.
    That's not how it works, mileage per se is not how it's broken down. It's based on employment weight, or gravity if you will. A CSA or Combined Statistical Area is what defines whether or not Austin / SA area will be conglomerated or not is based on employment and business draw to any given area. For instance I have business interests in both SA and Austin. That adds to the designation.

And to be clear if that develops such that Austin MSA and SA CSA are combined into a larger CSA, they would almost overnight be near the top 15 largest with close to 5 million. Austin currently is not listed as its own CSA, but San Antonio is and ranks like 24th.

A bit more development along 35 that shows dual draw for employment to the two metropolitan areas would trigger that listing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, let me just say for the record, Las Vegas is the fakest, least substantive, most plastic place on earth outside of like Dubai. It deserves nothing because the city will be one of the first hit, and hit hard, by climate change.

It exists largely due to one industry that is wholly dependent on travel and a good economy to thrive. And as noted above, it is an area on the front end of a decades or centuries long megadrought. It literally copies other places as an iden y. that place.

And the Spurs brass if that place is even remotely on their minds. San Antonio, Austin at worst, or bust, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's not how it works, mileage per se is not how it's broken down. It's based on employment weight, or gravity if you will. A CSA or Combined Statistical Area is what defines whether or not Austin / SA area will be conglomerated or not is based on employment and business draw to any given area. For instance I have business interests in both SA and Austin. That adds to the designation.

And to be clear if that develops such that Austin MSA and SA CSA are combined into a larger CSA, they would almost overnight be near the top 15 largest with close to 5 million. Austin currently is not listed as its own CSA, but San Antonio is and ranks like 24th.

A bit more development along 35 that shows dual draw for employment to the two metropolitan areas would trigger that listing.
    I don't disagree that the I-35 SA to Austin could definitionally become a CSA but will unlikely be a cohesive metro area nor functionally a " 5 million" population for a NBA team to draw on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Easy answer: Marquee free agents don't give a about Austin anymore than they do San Antonio.

These are millionaires who can travel anywhere they want. They visit all of the best cities in the US on a regular basis on the team's dime, and can afford vacations to wherever they want in the offseason.

Ain't no star choosing the Spurs over anybody else just because they are based in Austin vs. San Antonio.
    But it’s not just the players wanting to live in bigger cities. It’s that more fans can afford luxury boxes and courtside seats and likely go over the luxury if necessary. I think Timmy would’ve won more rings if the owners could afford to bring over a TMac and not when he’s already 38. DRob could’ve paired with Barkeley. It’s not unknown to everyone the lure of playing in a bigger city. I wouldn’t be so against the idea if it could level the playing field for the Spurs a bit, and get some of those perks that bigger markets get for a change.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But it’s not just the players wanting to live in bigger cities. It’s that more fans can afford luxury boxes and courtside seats and likely go over the luxury if necessary. I think Timmy would’ve won more rings if the owners could afford to bring over a TMac and not when he’s already 38. DRob could’ve paired with Barkeley. It’s not unknown to everyone the lure of playing in a bigger city. I wouldn’t be so against the idea if it could level the playing field for the Spurs a bit, and get some of those perks that bigger markets get for a change.
    That is one benefit I could see...but that's assuming all those people with money want to spend it on Spurs games. I could see some corporate tycoons buying out some of the suite boxes, maybe some season ticket packages and such...but you still gotta get the common fans to fill seats. FC has done pretty well in north Austin I guess...but I'm generally always amazed by the amount of futbol nuts out there.

If you think the seats look empty in a city that bleeds Silver and Black, just wait until you go to a town that only cares about UT. And even UT was struggling to fill seats last season despite being a top program.

Obviously I could be wrong, but it would be a long process to rebuild anything that resembles the fan base that the Spurs currently have in Austin...especially if we are still a rebuilding team when (and if) they come to town. Austinites aren't going to pay any better than San Antonians to watch a losing team.
    Last edited by Dex; 08-02-2022 at 08:49 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    During the Tim Duncan years PATFO wasn’t cheap, frugal maybe but mostly just well managed. Even in recent years they haven’t been cheap. Not being able to add star power around Tim Duncan was never about money. It was that few stars, if any, wanted to play here.

PATFO is not cheap.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas is a hole so it doesn't matter

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/...o-17376889.php

Damn Austin using our future superstar Josh Primo already….

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not opposed but I don't have a dog in the fightvas I am several states over. When I come for games I'd be lying if I told you if have more fun in San Antonio. I'll defer to the Texans on this one

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sarver has agreed to sell the Suns.

NBA teams are incredibly illiquid assets that can’t easily be valued using traditional valuation metrics. There are usually ripple effects when ownership of a team changes. Can’t find what Sarver’s stake is but my understanding it a large controlling interest >50%.

This could have implications for our ownership group. Wouldn’t be surprised for the final price to be well above estimated current value which typically has ripple effects for valuation across the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it really comes down to making the most money the 5th largest city in the world with 21 million people would make more sense than Austin, Seattle, Las Vegas, and even San Antonio. That city being Mexico City.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sarver has agreed to sell the Suns.

NBA teams are incredibly illiquid assets that can’t easily be valued using traditional valuation metrics. There are usually ripple effects when ownership of a team changes. Can’t find what Sarver’s stake is but my understanding it a large controlling interest >50%.

This could have implications for our ownership group. Wouldn’t be surprised for the final price to be well above estimated current value which typically has ripple effects for valuation across the league.

Terrible ownership is what keeps most teams in the cellar for long periods at a time. Chris Paul is good enough to have overcome that effect like he did with Sterling. One less ty owner in the West means tougher compe ion down the road.

Thread Information