Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I had no clue his new chick was that hot. Nice work Timmy. Upgrade over that other hoe for sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You considering Van? It’s a wicked city man.
    My wife might take a regional management position up there that runs up all the way to the border so in theory we could really choose anywhere in that area if we decide to take the plunge. Washington state would be enough of a change compared to the increasingly Christofascist state of Texas that I'd be fine with just Seattle but I'd happily settle in Vancouver. I hear wonderful things about it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Austin being a tech boom city doesn't mean anything to the NBA or its players...unless you think the Spurs are going to manage to get some sponsorships from the Dells, Apples, or Teslas of the town.

If players want to go up to Austin to party or check out F1 or whatever, they can easily pop up here.

San Antonio already has an established fan base and culture in a city of more than 1.5 million people. You can't just expect to replicate that in Austin overnight, and you also shouldn't expect thousands of existing fans to make that "hour drive" 41 times a year. You seriously expecting to ask the fans to make that drive all the time, instead of the few players who may feel like checking out Austin occasionally?

I've been in Austin for a long time and can tell you that people are lukewarm on the Spurs. , they basically have to give away tickets to the Austin Spurs games just to get people in there.

Also, Moody Center is significantly smaller than AT&T and the parking situation downtown is a nightmare, so I wouldn't act like they have an arena just ready to go up here.

Don't get me wrong, I would love if I didn't have to drive down to SA for Spurs games...but bailing to Austin is just flushing their history down the toilet and spitting in the face of the city and fans who built them.
    Nice restaurants and clubs do. Look, as I said above I hope they stay in San Antonio, but I think it's tomfoolery to suggest Austin and San Antonio are viewed the same, yes even amongst black athletes.

Btw, I don't expect those San Antonio fans ti just make 41 trips up to Austin, but itsclose enough they could still enjoy the teamamd still feel like they have an ownership or rooting interest in the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    austin sucks now, I don't want another thing congesting this city, and I don't want to trade the crowd in SA for tech bros and UT students

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They'd need to change the mascot from a coyote to a homeless man in a tent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They'd need to change the mascot from a coyote to a homeless man in a tent.
    haha that mascot would look great the new SATX alternates.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because they are the San Antonio Spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This idea worked out really well for the Los Angeles Chargers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice restaurants and clubs do. Look, as I said above I hope they stay in San Antonio, but I think it's tomfoolery to suggest Austin and San Antonio are viewed the same, yes even amongst black athletes.

Btw, I don't expect those San Antonio fans ti just make 41 trips up to Austin, but itsclose enough they could still enjoy the teamamd still feel like they have an ownership or rooting interest in the team.
    Clubs? What big club do you think is bringing people out? You really think 5-star athletes are really hyped about going to Palazio or Yellow Rose? Or hanging out at Rose Room?

I'll admit that the restaurant scene is marginally better in Austin, but again...that's not going to change the mind of max player if they are choosing between Austin, Miami, or LA.

I actually love Austin....but like I've said and will continue to say, trading in 50 years of valued history to try to force an NBA team into a city that doesn't really give a MAKES NO SENSE.

I used to go to 3-5 games a year. Since I moved to Austin, I'm lucky to go to 1 or 2 because that drive down 35 in rush hour traffic is a major pain in the ass. It's not as easy as some of you are making it out to be to just "make the quick trip up"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clubs? What big club do you think is bringing people out? You really think 5-star athletes are really hyped about going to Palazio or Yellow Rose? Or hanging out at Rose Room?

I'll admit that the restaurant scene is marginally better in Austin, but again...that's not going to change the mind of max player if they are choosing between Austin, Miami, or LA.

I actually love Austin....but like I've said and will continue to say, trading in 50 years of valued history to try to force an NBA team into a city that doesn't really give a MAKES NO SENSE.

I used to go to 3-5 games a year. Since I moved to Austin, I'm lucky to go to 1 or 2 because that drive down 35 in rush hour traffic is a major pain in the ass. It's not as easy as some of you are making it out to be to just "make the quick trip up"
    I was based out of Austin for decades and I'm a big fan. I didn't go to a lot of games until someone who works with the Spurs got me tickets and then I was hooked to seeing live games. Moved to a mid-way point in the hill country almost ten years ago and had season tickets for many years. Even a shorter drive gets old quick. They move to Austin and the fanbase at games would change dramatically. I wonder if your average Austin person would spend money on tickets in a town with so much going on. I go to Austin more than SA, but definitely think of the Spurs as a San Antonio thing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    playblair: Give me reasons why you are against the Spurs moving to Austin

SpursTalk: Gives many very valid reasons and constructed arguments

playblair: yall are stupid and I cant form a complete sentence

Never change, buddy

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if spurs move to austin then san antonio has lost the team that sa wants and austin doesn't care about

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Austin and SA are completely different cities, especially considering how close they are in proximity. No doubt Austin would be more appealing to young athletes with disposable income. Nightlife is far superior and the overall vibe is just much more attractive to young people.

With that said, it’d still be nowhere near LA, NYC, MIA, etc. And the hippies and tree-huggers up here won’t care about the Spurs the way the fans in SA do, at least in the short term. Most of the people here right now are either Longhorns fans or don’t give a about sports. But Austin is quickly becoming such a melting pot of people from all over the globe, that in 10 years it might not matter. All the different people living here by then would probably gladly welcome another pro sports franchise. And this city, with its growing tech hub, has the resource$ to attract another one — maybe multiple — in the coming years.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Austin = the most overrated city in the country

San Antonio = the most underrated city in the country

To be clear Austin isn’t a bad city at all. It just isn’t as great as people claim. It would be straight up stupid for a professional sports team to leave San Antonio’s with its popular boom and everything that is coming with it. Just move the dam stadium.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    San Antonio will be a legit market when they get rid of the small minded airport and get a true airport that has a palate of direct flights all over the country. We have too many issues with flying to multiple places to get to a destination or flying too many places to get back here.

Their are clubs and women available everywhere and their are plenty of obese women in every NBA market and plenty of attractive ones too.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs would probably sell more luxury boxes in Austin, but probably have a harder time getting the taxpayers to build them a stadium there than here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs would probably sell more luxury boxes in Austin, but probably have a harder time getting the taxpayers to build them a stadium there than here.
    Good point. Property taxes in Austin are insane and the taxpayers would not be too thrilled about building a stadium at all. I love both cities and own a business in Austin, but don't see the San Antonio Spurs moving to Austin. Why not just start a new team the Austin Hipsters. There would be no logos and all the patrons, even the women, would need to grow a beard and wear apricot colored pants.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    City of Austin curiously doesn't give much of a about having their own NBA size arena. All the possible downtown sites have come and gone over the past 20 years without even a hint of a city purchase. They have an old Home Depot off I-35 which I can't see being anything but a disaster unless a lot of the surrounding neighborhood is razed. Moody Center is about 8000 seats short of being viable and no NBA team wants to have UT as a landlord.

There's always a chance that something could be developed in the burbs alongside one of the mini-Domains being planned because there is still just so much money floating around up here, but the traditional kind of taxpayer funded gubmit built arena is much more likely to happen again in San Antonio the next few decades.

Also as mentioned above, #AustinSoWhite there's no guarantee the population would embrace the NBA as much as they have bougier sports like MLS.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even the most dedicated Spurs fan is going to be tested on a drive to and from Austin and its horrendous traffic. Just thinking about it makes me want to stop watching basketball, not buy season tickets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even the most dedicated Spurs fan is going to be tested on a drive to and from Austin and its horrendous traffic. Just thinking about it makes me want to stop watching basketball, not buy season tickets.
    Lol to anyone who has lived in a major city that is normal traffic.

Try being an international Spurs fan and getting to San Antonio.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not to get all Marxist here, but a move to Austin would not be about plebeian fans but getting billionaires to pony up for crazy box seats, I have to think. Not completely but that’s something that could appeal to a weed consortium. Or not. Just spitballing. But all the billionaires up there has to be tantalizing for our cheap owners.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do y’all fall for playblair’s San Antonio vs Austin relocation schtick?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simple. Because I want them to move 20hrs away to Vegas

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't players mostly want to be where people are making movies and rap music?

Anyway, I don't want bummy half-decent free agents like LaVine etc on the Spurs unless they specifically want to come be part of the Spurs.

I'll wait til we draft well, and if someone wants to leave to be a Hollywood-esque star, they'll still do that in Austin.

DFW is the future hub area anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m against it because it would be a waste of a relocation. Send the team to Vegas

Thread Information