Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What? Of course we missed out on exorbitant picks. Every other team traded their franchise player for future picks and now have a top lottery pick to build around and we have what courtesy of the Kawhi Leonard trade?

The pelicans traded their franchise player to the lakers...which in turn netted them another franchise player AND now that the lakers are terrible they are in line to get pick swaps that might be lottery picks AGAIN. That's a ing home run.

The houston rockets traded their franchise player and that netted them additional picks, allowed them to bottom out, and get the number 2 pick in the draft. Green at worst is going to be an elite level scorer. I think Sengun is going to be good as well. Homerun. Not a grand slam or a 3 run shot. But they have successfully flipped their franchise player into a younger franchise player and they still got picks coming their way.

OKC? They turned westbrook, chris paul, and paul george trades into owning damn near a 3rd of all 1st round picks over the next few years. It almost doesn't matter if Giddy, SGA, Chet, even pan out cause they have so many more draft picks coming. They flipped there 3 star players for arguably the largest draft haul in nba history. Home ing run. Grand ing slam.

And our front office, who had Kawhi Leonard, the best of the bunch...because if you ask anyone who is the best player out of Kawhi, Old Chris Paul, Anthony Davis, james harden, and paul george, I think it is pretty easily Kawhi...they turned that into Demar Derozan...Jakob Poeltl...and a draft pick that became Keldon Johnson. That's atrocious. That's sheer incompetence. They had the best two way player in the entire ing league and the best they could do was turning it into a playoff choker, a center who can't defend centers or make 65% of his free throws, and a guy who is going to grade out as maybe a really good role player on a playoff team. Beyond bad. And don't give me this "but Kawhi tanked his value it was the best they could do" when Anthony Davis flat out wouldn't play for the pelicans and his father straight up told boston don't trade for him he won't sign there cause they got a kings ransom for him anyway. James Harden just flat out wouldn't practice with the Rockets and then when he played he sabotaged the team so much that players called him out on it and they still got 3 picks and 4 swaps for it. How did those players behave like straight up assholes but the teams still got a ransom for them but our player asks like an asshole and all we can get is Demar ing Derozan? Are you kidding me.

Just this one trade alone is sheer incompetence. It shows that our front office just flat out didn't understand how current nba teams think. All they had to do was just send Kawhi home. Someone was going to get desperate and give up whatever we wanted for him. Just like the lakers got desperate and gave that up for AD who they could have just signed in a year. Just like the Nets got desperate and gave that up even though they already had two all nba players on their team. But not us, because our front office is to pussy to deal with player conflict, so we were stuck watching Derozan sulk around for a few yeas and then leave.

It's not about players turning into all stars. It's about our front office not being smart enough to even give us the chance to draft high end basketball talent that could turn into an all star.
    Let's summarize.
    You hate the Spurs culture, players, coaching staff and managers.
    Why do you keep following the team? Is this some kind of sadomasochistic practice?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What? Of course we missed out on exorbitant picks. Every other team traded their franchise player for future picks and now have a top lottery pick to build around and we have what courtesy of the Kawhi Leonard trade?

The pelicans traded their franchise player to the lakers...which in turn netted them another franchise player AND now that the lakers are terrible they are in line to get pick swaps that might be lottery picks AGAIN. That's a ing home run.

The houston rockets traded their franchise player and that netted them additional picks, allowed them to bottom out, and get the number 2 pick in the draft. Green at worst is going to be an elite level scorer. I think Sengun is going to be good as well. Homerun. Not a grand slam or a 3 run shot. But they have successfully flipped their franchise player into a younger franchise player and they still got picks coming their way.

OKC? They turned westbrook, chris paul, and paul george trades into owning damn near a 3rd of all 1st round picks over the next few years. It almost doesn't matter if Giddy, SGA, Chet, even pan out cause they have so many more draft picks coming. They flipped there 3 star players for arguably the largest draft haul in nba history. Home ing run. Grand ing slam.

And our front office, who had Kawhi Leonard, the best of the bunch...because if you ask anyone who is the best player out of Kawhi, Old Chris Paul, Anthony Davis, james harden, and paul george, I think it is pretty easily Kawhi...they turned that into Demar Derozan...Jakob Poeltl...and a draft pick that became Keldon Johnson. That's atrocious. That's sheer incompetence. They had the best two way player in the entire ing league and the best they could do was turning it into a playoff choker, a center who can't defend centers or make 65% of his free throws, and a guy who is going to grade out as maybe a really good role player on a playoff team. Beyond bad. And don't give me this "but Kawhi tanked his value it was the best they could do" when Anthony Davis flat out wouldn't play for the pelicans and his father straight up told boston don't trade for him he won't sign there cause they got a kings ransom for him anyway. James Harden just flat out wouldn't practice with the Rockets and then when he played he sabotaged the team so much that players called him out on it and they still got 3 picks and 4 swaps for it. How did those players behave like straight up assholes but the teams still got a ransom for them but our player asks like an asshole and all we can get is Demar ing Derozan? Are you kidding me.

Just this one trade alone is sheer incompetence. It shows that our front office just flat out didn't understand how current nba teams think. All they had to do was just send Kawhi home. Someone was going to get desperate and give up whatever we wanted for him. Just like the lakers got desperate and gave that up for AD who they could have just signed in a year. Just like the Nets got desperate and gave that up even though they already had two all nba players on their team. But not us, because our front office is to pussy to deal with player conflict, so we were stuck watching Derozan sulk around for a few yeas and then leave.

It's not about players turning into all stars. It's about our front office not being smart enough to even give us the chance to draft high end basketball talent that could turn into an all star.
    We tried though. Magic Johnson laughed at us for asking for multiple picks. It was a different market then. FO are afraid of becoming BKN. The AD trade set the market.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    some of us knew in the 2017 offseason when the Gasol and Mills extensions happened, that this was the beginning of the end

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    some of us knew in the 2017 offseason when the Gasol and Mills extensions happened, that this was the beginning of the end
    I HATED those signings. I remember repeatedly saying that if I was Kawhi, I'd ask out. I'm not sure if those signings had even a little bit to do with him wanting out, but I didn't think it would actually happen a year later.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs made the choice in 2018 to try to stay compe ive rather than blowing it all up when they traded Leonard. It netted one low playoff berth and three years of play-in mediocrity with that “compe ive” core. So now they’re four years down the road with little to show for that choice, and just now starting the long road of rebuilding they eschewed back then.

Maybe they have “goals” of one sort or another, but the reality is that they are already in the longest playoff drought in franchise history, and obviously will shatter the franchise record for consecutive losing seasons before they are ever compe ive again. This is the worst position they ever have been in.

Is all that worth the 7th seed in 2019 and a few play-in losses?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs made the choice in 2018 to try to stay compe ive rather than blowing it all up when they traded Leonard. It netted one low playoff berth and three years of play-in mediocrity with that “compe ive” core. So now they’re four years down the road with little to show for that choice, and just now starting the long road of rebuilding they eschewed back then.

Maybe they have “goals” of one sort or another, but the reality is that they are already in the longest playoff drought in franchise history, and obviously will shatter the franchise record for consecutive losing seasons before they are ever compe ive again. This is the worst position they ever have been in.

Spot on, and admittedly, I was late to that party...

But to me, the bigger and ultimately most important question is whether or not that unavoidable run of losing seasons we are now in the midst of completely tanks the attendance and other sponsorships aside from the Frost and HEB ones.

And to me, it's clear it completely rides on getting Wembanyama. Not only will he make the team better probably by 10+ wins overnight, people will crowd in to watch him play, even when we still generally suck. Landing another player outside the top two or three in this upcoming draft will be dangerous for this team's future as it simply may not move the needle much.

Edit for additional context:
    For example, this is the first year in forever that I won't be going to any games or paying for a subscription to watch them. I won't be the only one. And imagine what a economic downturn does to attendance of a 6-28 (or whatever) team...
    Last edited by offset formation; 10-21-2022 at 08:42 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh it wasn't HOF top five Duncan retiring? That wasn't the thing? Did you quit the spurs when they signed franky elson, Garry Neal, the centerpiece? Richard Jeff?. Cuz mills and gasol were better than those scrubs. These new age spurs fans who think 2014 was the norm will kill me. Spurs have always used scrubs. It just mattered less with duncan because he was good

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Maybe they just don't want half empty arenas.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was the amount of money they gave Gasol and Mills. Most of those other guys didn't get paid that much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe they just don't want half empty arenas.
    The bill comes due eventually. Now with accrued interest.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's summarize.
    You hate the Spurs culture, players, coaching staff and managers.
    Why do you keep following the team? Is this some kind of sadomasochistic practice?
    How does me pointing out their egregious mistakes equate to me hating them?

It's just a truthful critique of how bad they were in this situation.

It's shocking how many posters on this site aren't emotionally mature enough to understand that critique or criticism doesn't equal dislike or hate.

I don't like the way this pizza taste doesn't equal i hate all pizza everywhere all the time in any situation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How does me pointing out their egregious mistakes equate to me hating them?

It's just a truthful critique of how bad they were in this situation.

It's shocking how many posters on this site aren't emotionally mature enough to understand that critique or criticism doesn't equal dislike or hate.

I don't like the way this pizza taste doesn't equal i hate all pizza everywhere all the time in any situation.
    You don't hate all pizza, only South Texas pizza. c:

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We tried though. Magic Johnson laughed at us for asking for multiple picks. It was a different market then. FO are afraid of becoming BKN. The AD trade set the market.
    I disagree with "we tried". Magic could say what he wants, but lets see what he has to say when the lakers are struggling and lebron is in his ear to get him some help, i am very confident he is going to pick up that phone and say what is it going to take to get kawhi. Because all they had to do to get Anthony Davis and keep their young players and all their picks was wait a year. That's it. Just wait. Just let time pass. But they didn't. They gave up every young asset they had except for Kuzma. They gave up every immediate 1st round pick they had AND pick swaps.

In situations like this teams always get desperate and pay the kings ransom. The funny thing about it is even in the one instance that a team doesn't...Kevin Durant in Brooklyn...the Nets were smart enough to just not trade him. He asked for the GM to be fired. They didn't care they didn't trade him. He asked for the coach to be fired. They didn't care they didn't trade him. And now here he is about to slog through another dysfunctional season in brooklyn, because Brooklyn is smart enough to understand its better to be an uncomfortable trainwreck in front of everyone than to get food stamps on the dollar for a top tier nba player, like we did. Somebodies going to come with that god offer with Durant. Or Durant is just going to have to suck it up and play in Brooklyn. Brooklyn front office is fine with either result.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The bill comes due eventually. Now with accrued interest.
    There is still an NBA team in Sacramento and they don't play home games outside their arena. Some teams just can't afford it. Thank the tech billionaires for this rebuild.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I disagree with "we tried". Magic could say what he wants, but lets see what he has to say when the lakers are struggling and lebron is in his ear to get him some help, i am very confident he is going to pick up that phone and say what is it going to take to get kawhi. Because all they had to do to get Anthony Davis and keep their young players and all their picks was wait a year. That's it. Just wait. Just let time pass. But they didn't. They gave up every young asset they had except for Kuzma. They gave up every immediate 1st round pick they had AND pick swaps.

In situations like this teams always get desperate and pay the kings ransom. The funny thing about it is even in the one instance that a team doesn't...Kevin Durant in Brooklyn...the Nets were smart enough to just not trade him. He asked for the GM to be fired. They didn't care they didn't trade him. He asked for the coach to be fired. They didn't care they didn't trade him. And now here he is about to slog through another dysfunctional season in brooklyn, because Brooklyn is smart enough to understand its better to be an uncomfortable trainwreck in front of everyone than to get food stamps on the dollar for a top tier nba player, like we did. Somebodies going to come with that god offer with Durant. Or Durant is just going to have to suck it up and play in Brooklyn. Brooklyn front office is fine with either result.
    We can't wait a year Kawhi is expiring. Durant has 4 years left on his deal. We waited half a year to trade Kawhi and the offer went down. What are you saying.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's funny because I used to think the same of some of our more negative posters here and was a happy member and founding member of the self-identifying sunshine pumper club. But now I see poopbox's post as 100% rational whether or not I'm fully in agreement. Negativity is not innately a bad thing if what is being analyzed requires a negative critique.

The Spurs are now inarguably in the midst of what could be a potentially existential phase in their franchise history, as unfathomable as that is to believe even 1 year ago. If we miss out on several more picks that will greatly alter our trajectory and run into multiple losing seasons in a row as other teams like the Kings and Orlando have had, I'm not so sure the Spurs survive in San Antonio. That's worthy of negativity
    The determining factor in whether the spurs have a long-term future in San Antonio is going to do be determined by whether they get a new arena in the next 5 to 7 years. If the answer is no they are definitely leaving SA. Multiple losing seasons and continued decline in fan support in my opinion will lead to SA saying no to the spurs on a new arena.

The city of San Antonio doesn’t even run the VIA Park and ride busses to and from Spurs games anymore due to a lack of fan usage.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh it wasn't HOF top five Duncan retiring? That wasn't the thing? Did you quit the spurs when they signed franky elson, Garry Neal, the centerpiece? Richard Jeff?. Cuz mills and gasol were better than those scrubs. These new age spurs fans who think 2014 was the norm will kill me. Spurs have always used scrubs. It just mattered less with duncan because he was good
    the does Duncan retiring have to do with that? The 2017 Spurs were better than the 16 Spurs. It was after Zaza where they should've looked to further improve instead of resigning old vets. Mills earned double of what he earns in Brooklyn per season now, and Gasol still got paid by the Spurs once he was out of the league. Those were clearly bad deals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a lot of people here still got Pop's in their mouth

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mills earned double of what he earns in Brooklyn per season now
    And he was 6 years younger.

Which free agent would keep Kawhi in SA?
    Free agent market 2017:
    1) Steph, Lowry, Jrue, George Hill, Jeff Teague
    2) J.J. Re , Dion Waiters, Caldwell-Pope, Hardaway Jr.
    3) Durant, Hayward, Porter, Iguodala, Gay
    4) Griffin, Millsap, Ibaka, Gallinari, JaMychal Green, James Johnson, Nowitzki
    5) Noel, Olynyk, Plumlee, Nene

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We can't wait a year Kawhi is expiring. Durant has 4 years left on his deal. We waited half a year to trade Kawhi and the offer went down. What are you saying.
    The offer didn't "go down". The spurs just didn't have the patience for the offers to come up. They didn't have the patience for a team to get desperate and give them whatever they wanted for Kawhi.

Just like Brooklyn got offers for Durant. And they didn't like any of those offers. So Durant stays in Brooklyn.

The spurs didn't want to deal with a player who might say fire the GM. Who might say fire the coach. So they decided to just ship him out for the best they thought they could get. That was a dumb mistake. You don't trade a player of that magnitude for "the best you can get". Because if you wait you can always get better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a lot of people here still got Pop's in their mouth
    Any wad could point out, once duncan left we weren't winning anything. Saying the spurs ed up is just agenda setting. Theres nothing to up. Offhand comments “it was over when they gave patty a loyalty contract. " are moronic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any wad could point out, once duncan left we weren't winning anything. Saying the spurs ed up is just agenda setting. Theres nothing to up. Offhand comments “it was over when they gave patty a loyalty contract. " are moronic.
    the Spurs were in the WCF up 30 in Golden State. They were the 2nd best team in the league at that point. They were clearly still contending. You changing your mind 5 years later doesn't change that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And he was 6 years younger.

Which free agent would keep Kawhi in SA?
    Free agent market 2017:
    1) Steph, Lowry, Jrue, George Hill, Jeff Teague
    2) J.J. Re , Dion Waiters, Caldwell-Pope, Hardaway Jr.
    3) Durant, Hayward, Porter, Iguodala, Gay
    4) Griffin, Millsap, Ibaka, Gallinari, JaMychal Green, James Johnson, Nowitzki
    5) Noel, Olynyk, Plumlee, Nene
    none except maybe Paul George who said he was down to team up with nephew in San Antonio. That doesn't make the Mills and Gasol contracts any better

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not really what I was arguing. Your step daddy issues and self purported blackness aside, PATFO needs to learn to manage personalities better or atleast not shy away from talented guys who have some (perceived) stink on them.

In a roundabout way, it's always what you're arguing: That anything having to do with not just the organization, but the city itself is third rate and virtually everything anywhere else is amazing.

As I've long said, they either need to change their stripes (not happening) or at least get some intestinal for ude and show a backbone for once when one of these pukes sounds off on them (also not happening).

Once again wrong on both counts about me personally. Keep fishing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we get Victor next year, not tanking 3-4 years ago will prove brilliant tbh...

Thread Information