Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu, and it's not even close tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know Tony isn’t the easiest to like but in the NBA his numbers are better than Manu by a ton. His game wasn’t the flashiest, he could be a surly, and the Berry sexting allegations definitely are a serious black eye but Parker was the better NBA player. The numbers, amount of games played, accolades prove this.

not the better man or fan favorite, but undoubtedly the better NBA career between Manu and himself
    Tony started at 19, and ac ulated 111.3 win shares in 18 seasons. Manu started at 25, and ac ulated 106.4 WSs in 16 seasons. It’s not the gap you think it is, and if Manu would have even come over at 22, we wouldn’t be having this discussion.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Parker Parker was the starting pg and held more value to the team.
    Last edited by rascal; 11-22-2022 at 10:56 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Parker would never lose to Saudi Arabia, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fabricio Oberto was the starting center, so he also held more value to the team.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bigger question: would Pop in 2022 be able to coach/handle Dennis Rodman of 1993-1995? Pop was a military man and ran the Spurs that way as GM and later coach when he first started. It seems like he's gone a very different path over the last 10 years. So do you think he could coach Rodman assuming we had a playoff team? Do you think Rodman would respect him? I mean, Rodman did some dumb things that were anti-winning. I can see Pop tolerating more eccentric behavior, but flat out doing things that lose games, I would say probably not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Parker would never lose to Saudi Arabia, tbh.
    Neither would Manu, tbh.

He led an Argentina basketball team with comparatively far less talent than their football counterparts, to much greater success. Parker wasn't able to do the same thing for France, and he wouldn't have for Argentina either. He might have put up better stats (partly due to his role and style and Manu's career management), but if I have to build a team with winning in mind and you tell me to pick one of them, it's Manu by a landslide. No disrespect to TP.
    Last edited by Ariel; 11-22-2022 at 06:46 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have to question the judgement of any Spurs fan old enough to appreciate their NBA entire careers who thinks this isn't a close call either way, tbh.

If we are including international resume, it's Manu, of course.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu could out dunk the h3ll out of TP, though. Going by your latest bazillion posts, you'd think that'd be enough to put him over the top.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have to question the judgement of any Spurs fan old enough to appreciate their NBA entire careers who thinks this isn't a close call either way, tbh.
    Yeah, this is the correct answer. You can make a case for either player depending on your particular bias. Of course, San Antonians are going to vote for the guy from a Spanish speaking country so polling the fans doesn't accomplish much, tbh.

Personally, I simply appreciate them both. They're both Spurs legends so what's the point of picking and choosing? It's like spending time trying to figure out which of your kids you like best.

I've noticed that fans from the pre-Duncan era rarely engage in the debate because it's so senseless. Those of us who grew up being forced to view an Avery Johnson and Vinny Del Negro backcourt as being a relatively strong backcourt can't even dream of doing anything but appreciate what Parker and Ginobili brought to the table. I mean, damn, if Robinson had anyone close to as good as Parker or Ginobili, the Spurs easily win the championship in 1995.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I consider myself Manu's biggest fan but timvp is right. The Spurs are incredibly lucky to have had Manu and TP in the same team during Duncan's prime. Manu was brilliant and a game changer with high efficiency in limited minutes that allowed him to prolong his career while TP was a steady second option who graduated to first option briefly between 2010-13. If not for TP, the Spurs wouldn't have made all those playoffs or had lengthy playoff runs while Duncan was ageing or Manu was injured. Damn, TP is so underrated in this forum after his retirement. I hope folks get to appreciate him again when he makes his HoF entry next season with Manu and Tim in tow as sponsors.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, this is the correct answer. You can make a case for either player depending on your particular bias. Of course, San Antonians are going to vote for the guy from a Spanish speaking country so polling the fans doesn't accomplish much, tbh.

Personally, I simply appreciate them both. They're both Spurs legends so what's the point of picking and choosing? It's like spending time trying to figure out which of your kids you like best.

I've noticed that fans from the pre-Duncan era rarely engage in the debate because it's so senseless. Those of us who grew up being forced to view an Avery Johnson and Vinny Del Negro backcourt as being a relatively strong backcourt can't even dream of doing anything but appreciate what Parker and Ginobili brought to the table. I mean, damn, if Robinson had anyone close to as good as Parker or Ginobili, the Spurs easily win the championship in 1995.
    I love Manu (my all-time favorite player) and Tony is a uva compe ive guy. And I know both would’ve been All-Star players, Manu could’ve scored more. BUT don’t you think Timmy had a lot to do with also? I could argue that a decent player would elevate his game playing alongside Duncan (similar to Jordan, I can’t say about Kobe for some reason, he needed a Gasol to get back). Dragic, Barbosa? Scola would’ve been a Spurs fan favorite and probably an All-Star.

But going back to the topic. All 3 have different place in my heart as a basketball fan. Manu is my favorite because he was the epitome of unselfish player, big sacrifice. As many will agree, Timmy is the greatest Spur ever, but Manu is the most beloved. His baseline passes, bending in air from one corner to another, I don’t see anybody else do. Euro-Step is Manu, I’m sorry Marciliunis. Next is Timmy for obvious reason, then Parker. Parker was a blur, one-man fastbreak, fearless and at one point led the league in field goal percentage, and a Guard? His teardrops were lethal and his spin moves were sick, one of the best finisher under the rim, just contours his body to get in. Then DRob. Sadly while David was ahead of his time with his guard skills at 7’1, to me he was toooooo nice. Timmy doesn’t speak much, but he’ll bury you when your already down. DRob? Maybe because he was too “smart?” He said himself basketball wasn’t everything, he likes playing with sax, reading. But still I love DRob. His rookie season was the reason I became a Spurs fan after that 26 wins the previous season and me forced to watch the Spurs having to have moved in San Anton. I was Showtime Lakers fan growing up with my brother, and my sisters liked the Celtics because they thought Ainge was cute .

Anyways, Manu for me. Oh, that Gold Medal was something else too.

Thread Information