Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Alright old heads, lets settle it. Bring your arguments. I'll stand my ground until the end of time.

The 94-95 Rockets would have murked the the Bulls if Jordan would have stayed in the league and they went to the Finals against each other. They beat two 60 win teams and swept Penny and Shaq in the Finals. Hakeem did work...33ppg, 10reb, 4.5ast and 3blks. Who is gonna stop him on the Bulls? Rockets in five.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Tough debate because this is 2nd season after MJ's retirement. What occurs in '94 is a big element in the equation. But on face value sure I would assume the Bulls would be all but outta gas trying to win a 5th straight. I'm not sure what the Bulls roster would look like either.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah the thought of Kukoc, Longley, Perdue, and Bill Wennington guarding 95 Olajuwon is laughable. Especially with how much Jordan hated Kukoc and would have tried to freeze him out as a rookie. I can't see how anyone could take the Bulls in that matchup minus Horace Grant and Bill Cartwright. Bulls had lockdown perimeter defenders in Harper and Pippen but Olajuwon would probably drop 50 a night on that frontcourt in a Finals matchup unless they just decided with it, throw 2-3 guys on Olajuwon at all times and let Cassell, Horry, Drexler, Elie, and Smith just bomb threes all night and hope they miss. Not sure if I'd take Houston in 5 or 6 though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah the thought of Kukoc, Longley, Perdue, and Bill Wennington guarding 95 Olajuwon is laughable. Especially with how much Jordan hated Kukoc and would have tried to freeze him out as a rookie. I can't see how anyone could take the Bulls in that matchup minus Horace Grant and Bill Cartwright. Bulls had lockdown perimeter defenders in Harper and Pippen but Olajuwon would probably drop 50 a night on that frontcourt in a Finals matchup unless they just decided with it, throw 2-3 guys on Olajuwon at all times and let Cassell, Horry, Drexler, Elie, and Smith just bomb threes all night and hope they miss. Not sure if I'd take Houston in 5 or 6 though.
    Houston wins that series bro. Dream wins a finals MVP just regulating the Bulls inside. And he gets just enough 3pt shooting to create the balance. Houston's team defense was straight work too. They win in five or six

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tough debate because this is 2nd season after MJ's retirement. What occurs in '94 is a big element in the equation. But on face value sure I would assume the Bulls would be all but outta gas trying to win a 5th straight. I'm not sure what the Bulls roster would look like either.
    The thing is Dream was at his absolute peak. No one could handle him in the playoffs. What are the Bulls going to do to contain him?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Olajuwon would have left Jordan in his shadow in that series. We all would have seen why he's the most skilled big man ever to pick up a basketball

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    yep houston wins both years imo

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    My question - if Houston was so dominant then why so many elimination games?

Half their series went the distance. One could argue they were possibly some of the luckiest winners ever.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yep houston wins both years imo
    94 is a much tougher matchup for Houston. At least the Bulls would still have Grant and Cartwright to throw on Olajuwon and Vernon Maxwell at the 2 is a far cry from Drexler, though the Bulls wouldn't have Ron Harper yet. They would have Kukoc though, I was wrong saying 94-95 was his rookie year, turns out it was 93-94. That 94 Rockets team could also go on massive offensive slumps, reminds me a lot of the 03 Spurs. Not sure you could survive that against Jordan. Think I might take Chicago in 7 in that matchup. You could get away with loading up on Hakeem defensively a lot more in 94 than you could with Drexler there in 95.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rockeys
    94 and 95 easily

Heck even the 93 Rockets

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rockets stomp in 95, toss up in 94 imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed tbh. I can't be quite as sure about that 94 team, but that 95 team could beat most finals teams in NBA history. Drexler changed everything. They were a six seed that beat two 60 win teams and handled a really good Orlando team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed tbh. I can't be quite as sure about that 94 team, but that 95 team could beat most finals teams in NBA history. Drexler changed everything. They were a six seed that beat two 60 win teams and handled a really good Orlando team.
    Wouldn't go as far as to say they'd beat most Finals teams, but they were a bad match up for that Bulls team. As you said, they have literally no one to throw at Hakeem.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wouldn't go as far as to say they'd beat most Finals teams, but they were a bad match up for that Bulls team. As you said, they have literally no one to throw at Hakeem.
    I could put them top ten. I don't think they could have beaten the Spurs in 99 or 14. I think they probably could have beaten the Kobe/Shaq Lakers most of those years. Dream would have put Shaq in the blender and would have contained him on defense. The Lakers didn't have good enough perimeter defenders to handle all the Rockets shooters. They had four guys shooting 40% or better from distance during that run.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Maybe 95, maybe…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bulls in 7. Hakeem would soMehow average 7.5 fouls a game.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    94 is a much tougher matchup for Houston. At least the Bulls would still have Grant and Cartwright to throw on Olajuwon and Vernon Maxwell at the 2 is a far cry from Drexler, though the Bulls wouldn't have Ron Harper yet. They would have Kukoc though, I was wrong saying 94-95 was his rookie year, turns out it was 93-94. That 94 Rockets team could also go on massive offensive slumps, reminds me a lot of the 03 Spurs. Not sure you could survive that against Jordan. Think I might take Chicago in 7 in that matchup. You could get away with loading up on Hakeem defensively a lot more in 94 than you could with Drexler there in 95.
    Agree. 95 a huge difference from 94 for both teams. Drexler brought not only another 20 point scorer to the Rockets but a different offensive dynamic to the team from the other secondary players, who were mostly just jumpshooters. And the Bulls post Grant but pre Rodman didn’t have quite the depth of talent they enjoyed during either threepeat.

Michael was of course still a force. But in 95, on paper the Rockets would seem to have a clear advantage of overall team talent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not a toss up in 94 imo, the Rockets were just a matchup nightmare for Chicago

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bulls in 7. Hakeem would soMehow average 7.5 fouls a game.
    What do you mean?

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    yeah i feel the matchup is tougher (for the rockets) in 94 than 95, but the rockets matchup problems were definitely an issue.

also the mental aspect. winning 3 in a row was difficult enough and you could already see burnout settling in, compared to a hungry team that hadn't won it all yet. add in the fact that the bulls would no longer be the more talented team by miles (compared to all of their previous opponents they had faced, some of whom they still struggled against), and id say all of that gives the rockets the overall edge in the matchup.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    94 Rockets you could throw everything you had into stopping Olajuwon and the Rockets offense would go hot/cold depending on whether the shooters were hitting their open looks. Ewing had an absolutely horrible Finals and yet the Knicks were still one John Starks shot from winning the le over them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bulls over 94 Rockets pretty easily but 95 Rockets over the Bulls pretty easily too.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    I could put them top ten. I don't think they could have beaten the Spurs in 99 or 14. I think they probably could have beaten the Kobe/Shaq Lakers most of those years. Dream would have put Shaq in the blender and would have contained him on defense. The Lakers didn't have good enough perimeter defenders to handle all the Rockets shooters. They had four guys shooting 40% or better from distance during that run.
    Judging by boxscores of their Playoff series

Opposing Point Guards had a field day. Probably why the Finale against the Magic was so shocking and might overrate this Rockets team. A combo of Penny & Shaq should have done much better.

Another interesting aspect about that Rockets run is how much they struggled in early rounds as opposed to later in the Playoffs.

1993: again 2 series to the Max. Sonics prevail in 2nd Round
    1996: 0-4 to the Sonics in the 2nd Round

Those teams have short shelf lives and lived on the edge allowing series to go to the limit. It's not unlikely that the ultimate clutch and elimination game killer would have taken them out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    94 Rockets you could throw everything you had into stopping Olajuwon and the Rockets offense would go hot/cold depending on whether the shooters were hitting their open looks. Ewing had an absolutely horrible Finals and yet the Knicks were still one John Starks shot from winning the le over them.
    93 Rockets owned the Buls by the way tbh

As for being hot/cold, it was the same for the Bulls

They even struggled to score in the 4th quarter in game 6 vs the Suns, a team known for its defense, whereas Rockets were a top defensive team

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    MJ owned Drexler

Pax/Armstrong vs Kenny is a wash

Pippen vs diaper Horry

Double Hakeem

I see it now. Bulls double downlow. MJ strips Hakeem. Game winner. Rockets struggle to close out opponents and Mr.Jordan just did it.

Thread Information