Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While we are one-day fresh off the end of our season, I thought it might be fun to post your ideal off-season (that is within reason, not "Trade for Luka and Giannis), based on the information you have now. I imagine there will be some takes that will age quite poorly and be fun to look back on later.

I'll start (speaking of things that will likely age poorly).

Draft:
    • Toronto pick conveys at 7 or 8
    • Spurs select Risacher and Buzelis in the first, double dipping on wing prospects in the Lauri/MPJ archetype, with switchability between the 3 and 4.
    • With our natural SRP, we select Juan Nunez as a PG prospect (I'd also be very happy with Comeche guy). The Lakers SRP is traded or used on a draft-and-stash or someone who will take a two-way.

Current Roster:
    • Graham waived.
    • Bassey also released. I think it is well known that I am a huge Bassey stan and love the elite rebounding and rim protection numbers he puts up... but homie can't stay healthy and I'm afraid his knees might be done
    • Mamu not retained. Mamu is one of those perfect fan-favorite 15th man kind of guys, but

Free Agency
    • Sign Malik Monk, right now I'd say 3/65 might be a fair estimate, maybe 4/83 as the 4th year might be what gets something done. He would be signed explicitly in a high-end 6th man role (as in, perennial 6OTY contender kind of role)
    • Sign Gordon Hayward. This one is harder to pin down, but I think 2/20 might be sufficient. He was putting up good numbers this season before being traded to OKC but hasn't done much since. Coming off a $30MM/yr deal it's hard to pin down what his real market value is.

Trades
    • I would love if the Spurs put something together for a high end starting PG, but I don't think they will, and that's okay for now
    • The Spurs trade some SRPs for Malcom Brogdon
    • Keldon will need to be moved, either this offseason or during the season. For now I'm going to assume he stays in the off-season but is moved at/by the deadline
    • Blake Wesley shipped off for some protected future SRP to get him a chance to make it somewhere else. If not, cut as a simple casualty of a 15-man roster

Opening Day Roster

PG: Brogdon/Tre/Nunez
    SG: Vassell/Monk/Branham
    SF: Risacher/Hayward/Johnson/Champagnie
    PF: Sochan/Buzelis
    C: Wembanyama/Collins/Barlow

Why I like this:
    • Major upgrade to the guard rotation, especially in solidifying the bench guard/wing scorer roles currently occupied by Johnson and Branham
    • Stopgap starting PG upgrade. Maybe Nunez is a developmental gem, otherwise you're still in a position to find the long-term piece later
    • All draft assets preserved for a potential big move down the line (though that clock is ticking as those picks begin to convey)
    • Still emphasizes organic/internal growth. Monk is a huge addition in terms of on the court impact but is still relatively minor as far a "big FA splashes" go. This is still a very "Spurs Way" kind of approach. Vassell and Sochan are still major parts of the core, and you have two new draft picks put in a good position to contribute and grow as well.
    • Flexibility if Risacher or Buzelis hit a wall or need some time on the bench/G-league to refine things. Especially early in the season before you trade Keldon, but even then Champagnie at least provides someone with starting experience who can fill in (I'm assuming Risacher can slide down to the 4 if Buzelis is the one who struggles).

What I don't like:
    • PG is still below league average, though considerably better than this year. Still just a stopgap, but we can't solve all our problems at once
    • PF depth. You basically will have Sochan, Buzelis, and Risacher - all young guys who will go through slumps (hopefully not all at the same time). You might be able to slide Hayward down to the 4 from time to time the way the Spurs played Cedi at the 4, but in that case you get forced into needing to keep Keldon on the team (which long term cuts into the PT and development of your two top-10 picks)
    • Still heavily relies on Zach Collins. Hopefully dude puts this season behind him and returns to the form that earned him that extension... but who knows.
    • Maybe some confusion around your closing lineup. Can Monk be the PG in your closing lineup?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Draft:
    Regardless of Toronto's pick conveying, I want wings. I don't want point guards from this draft.
    A bunch of prospects that can't shoot or defend. In some cases neither. Two years away from being two years away.

Current Roster:
    Collins has to go, he's atrocious.
    I'd also get rid of Keldon, I hate low IQ, no defense players.
    Devin and Jeremy should stay unless there are big trades to be made.
    Others are irrelevant, insignificant contracts and barely NBA level players.
    Mamu and Tre should stay, that's about it. Champagnie will also stay.

Free Agency:
    With Grayson Allen gone, there's noone I'd really take.
    Maybe give Tobias a two year overpay if there's cap space left and no other targets to be had.
    Something like 50/2, he's not worth more.
    Not sure about Monk, depends on the PG situation.
    If we're talking veterans, I guess Batum could be an option because of Wemby. He announced he'll retire after the season, but maybe he'd change his mind for Wemby.
    Get a solid backup big if Bassey and Barlow are gone.

Trades:
    We simply must get a competent point guard and one good 3-D wing.
    The market is pretty dry, I don't want Brogdon, he's always injured and noone likes him.
    Maybe we can hope Boston crashes out and decides to retool. Derrick would be available then, would be perfect.
    Garland won't be available because Mitc will most likely leave.
    I'd take Trae for a fair price.
    Naz Reid is my favorite wing target.
    Would also look at NOLA and Brooklyn wing situation and maybe Okoro.

Something like:
    Derrick-Devin-Jeremy-Reid-Wemby
    Tre, Branham, rookie wing (x2?), Champagnie, Mamu, perimeter veteran, veteran big
    Cissoko and this year second rounders to complete the roster.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Impossible until we see the draft lottery results next month.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mugen already got his wish

Member of Wembyland CorrectCrusader's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ​​Additions

â€â€‹Subtractions

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But if we can dream on good lottery results:

1. Trade our pick, the Toronto pick, the Dallas swap, Keldon, and Graham for Mikal Bridges
    2. Trade Atlanta back their 2025 and 2027 picks, rip up the 2026 swap, plus the Chicago pick and Zollins and Bassey for Trae Young
    3. Retain Champagnie, Mamu, Barlow on cheap deals

Ten man rotation could be:

PG: Young/Jones
    SG: Vassell/Branham
    SF: Bridges/Champagnie
    PF: Sochan/Mamu
    C: Wemby/Barlow

Then 2025 focus on getting some bigman depth with the MLE.
    Last edited by baseline bum; 1 Week Ago at 03:12 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I foresee a lot of disappointment in here when the Spurs keep their picks and add a couple of older cheaper vets, while dumping off a few randos.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Draft:
    Toronto pick conveys at 7 or 8
    Spurs select 2 of Castle, Cody Williams or Buzelis in the first? I dont have too strong of leanings in this draft so trusting the Spurs FO here. Reed and Dillingham intrigue and scare me some. Just do not take a center with lottery picks.

Current Roster:
    Graham waived.
    Keep Mamu. He’s a great locker room guy and provides a different look at back up 4 alongside fitting well with Wemby. For his price, cannot be understated how nice that is.
    Keep Champganie on his deal.

Free Agency
    Dont spend big money unless it’s someone that fits the timeline and has great upside. Cap signings to 2 years even if you have to overpay APY some. Take a look at Claxton perhaps. Fontecchio?

OG would be a big money guy Im possibly OK with if he is going to leave NY (seems doubtful though). Monk im fine with but not on huge money. If hes over 15M I say no. Take a peak at Tyus Jones or Quickley but dont spend too much.

Trades

The Spurs trade some SRPs for Malcom Brogdon (definitely think this a great path)
    Trade Keldon and CHI pick back that they owe us for Patrick Willams
    Look for any opportunity to offload Collins for cap relief. He’s overpaid at C position with Wemby being full time and Spurs can definitely use 15M much better than him. We have a ton of 2nd rounders so use them to offload Zach if you need to. But hopefully he can have a strong start to next season and be moved.

At the end of the day, big picture I would like to see 5+ guys on the roster turned over. 2 via incoming draft picks (Spurs and hopefully TOR), 2 via free agency and maybe 1-2 via trade.

Everyone but Wemby, Vassell, Sochan is on the block. But would want to see Cedi, Graham, Collins, and Blake prioritized to be replaced, with Branham and Bassey on the block as well depending on draft/fa. But I want 5 new faces on team next season at a minimum.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tre/ Wesley/ Graham
    Vassell/ Branham
    Champagnie/ Keldon/ Sidy
    Sochan/ Cedi/ Mamu
    Wemby/ Collins/ Barlow/ Bassey

^the roster after my perfect offseason tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mugen already got his wish

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thankfully Collins ended the year on a higher note. Hope that translates to a strong off season and ups his trade value.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Given the roster crunch in the immediate and medium term with all of the draft picks on horizon, and that nobody beyond Wemby/Vassell (+ I’d add Sochan to that duo too as a keeper) provide above league average production or upside, the Spurs shouldn’t hesitate to move on from anyone else. Any trade that gives upside for Keldon while taking on his contract, you run to the phone to call into the league office. Anyone willing to take on Collins without a FRP attached, you do the same. Tre is a nice role player, but need to significantly upgrade the PG spot to maximize the key cogs on team.

You do whatever you can to add top 100 guys in the league. If even the guys available at the Spurs’ pick or Toronto pick if it conveys don’t project as that within a few years, you use those picks in a trade.

With a transcendent player like Wemby, you don’t have space for 15 man developmental rosters anymore. You’re going to have vets banging down the door to play with him and backfill 8th through 12th man duties.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It doesn’t matter. The Spurs have zero interest in winning next year. More “stealth” tanking to come

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thankfully Collins ended the year on a higher note. Hope that translates to a strong off season and ups his trade value.
    I doubt any NBA GM is over-indexing his performance during a bunch of meaningless games tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While we are one-day fresh off the end of our season, I thought it might be fun to post your ideal off-season (that is within reason, not "Trade for Luka and Giannis), based on the information you have now. I imagine there will be some takes that will age quite poorly and be fun to look back on later.

I'll start (speaking of things that will likely age poorly).

Draft:
    • Toronto pick conveys at 7 or 8
    • Spurs select Risacher and Buzelis in the first, double dipping on wing prospects in the Lauri/MPJ archetype, with switchability between the 3 and 4.
    • With our natural SRP, we select Juan Nunez as a PG prospect (I'd also be very happy with Comeche guy). The Lakers SRP is traded or used on a draft-and-stash or someone who will take a two-way.

Current Roster:
    • Graham waived.
    • Bassey also released. I think it is well known that I am a huge Bassey stan and love the elite rebounding and rim protection numbers he puts up... but homie can't stay healthy and I'm afraid his knees might be done
    • Mamu not retained. Mamu is one of those perfect fan-favorite 15th man kind of guys, but

Free Agency
    • Sign Malik Monk, right now I'd say 3/65 might be a fair estimate, maybe 4/83 as the 4th year might be what gets something done. He would be signed explicitly in a high-end 6th man role (as in, perennial 6OTY contender kind of role)
    • Sign Gordon Hayward. This one is harder to pin down, but I think 2/20 might be sufficient. He was putting up good numbers this season before being traded to OKC but hasn't done much since. Coming off a $30MM/yr deal it's hard to pin down what his real market value is.

Trades
    • I would love if the Spurs put something together for a high end starting PG, but I don't think they will, and that's okay for now
    • The Spurs trade some SRPs for Malcom Brogdon
    • Keldon will need to be moved, either this offseason or during the season. For now I'm going to assume he stays in the off-season but is moved at/by the deadline
    • Blake Wesley shipped off for some protected future SRP to get him a chance to make it somewhere else. If not, cut as a simple casualty of a 15-man roster

Opening Day Roster

PG: Brogdon/Tre/Nunez
    SG: Vassell/Monk/Branham
    SF: Risacher/Hayward/Johnson/Champagnie
    PF: Sochan/Buzelis
    C: Wembanyama/Collins/Barlow

Why I like this:
    • Major upgrade to the guard rotation, especially in solidifying the bench guard/wing scorer roles currently occupied by Johnson and Branham
    • Stopgap starting PG upgrade. Maybe Nunez is a developmental gem, otherwise you're still in a position to find the long-term piece later
    • All draft assets preserved for a potential big move down the line (though that clock is ticking as those picks begin to convey)
    • Still emphasizes organic/internal growth. Monk is a huge addition in terms of on the court impact but is still relatively minor as far a "big FA splashes" go. This is still a very "Spurs Way" kind of approach. Vassell and Sochan are still major parts of the core, and you have two new draft picks put in a good position to contribute and grow as well.
    • Flexibility if Risacher or Buzelis hit a wall or need some time on the bench/G-league to refine things. Especially early in the season before you trade Keldon, but even then Champagnie at least provides someone with starting experience who can fill in (I'm assuming Risacher can slide down to the 4 if Buzelis is the one who struggles).

What I don't like:
    • PG is still below league average, though considerably better than this year. Still just a stopgap, but we can't solve all our problems at once
    • PF depth. You basically will have Sochan, Buzelis, and Risacher - all young guys who will go through slumps (hopefully not all at the same time). You might be able to slide Hayward down to the 4 from time to time the way the Spurs played Cedi at the 4, but in that case you get forced into needing to keep Keldon on the team (which long term cuts into the PT and development of your two top-10 picks)
    • Still heavily relies on Zach Collins. Hopefully dude puts this season behind him and returns to the form that earned him that extension... but who knows.
    • Maybe some confusion around your closing lineup. Can Monk be the PG in your closing lineup?
    I like most of that. A few changes for me personally..

Draft- I only take Nunez if it's a stash. I'd rather keep Wesley next year.

Roster- I probably keep Mamu unless I just need the space because of FA/trades.

FA- I like Monk here, but I might see if I can get Okoro before I offer Monk. Caleb Martin would be on my radar here too in that 'Hayward' category. I'd be happy with either.

Trades- I like the Brogdon play here. I'd also like to see us acquire Deni Avdija (hopefully in a 3 team deal that moves Zach or KJ).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt any NBA GM is over-indexing his performance during a bunch of meaningless games tbh.
    Maybe. Either way it cant hurt that he ended strong.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Draft:
    Toronto pick conveys at 7 or 8
    Spurs select 2 of Castle, Cody Williams or Buzelis in the first? I dont have too strong of leanings in this draft so trusting the Spurs FO here. Reed and Dillingham intrigue and scare me some. Just do not take a center with lottery picks.

Current Roster:
    Graham waived.
    Keep Mamu. He’s a great locker room guy and provides a different look at back up 4 alongside fitting well with Wemby. For his price, cannot be understated how nice that is.
    Keep Champganie on his deal.

Free Agency
    Dont spend big money unless it’s someone that fits the timeline and has great upside. Cap signings to 2 years even if you have to overpay APY some. Take a look at Claxton perhaps. Fontecchio?

OG would be a big money guy Im possibly OK with if he is going to leave NY (seems doubtful though). Monk im fine with but not on huge money. If hes over 15M I say no. Take a peak at Tyus Jones or Quickley but dont spend too much.

Trades

The Spurs trade some SRPs for Malcom Brogdon (definitely think this a great path)
    Trade Keldon and CHI pick back that they owe us for Patrick Willams
    Look for any opportunity to offload Collins for cap relief. He’s overpaid at C position with Wemby being full time and Spurs can definitely use 15M much better than him. We have a ton of 2nd rounders so use them to offload Zach if you need to. But hopefully he can have a strong start to next season and be moved.

At the end of the day, big picture I would like to see 5+ guys on the roster turned over. 2 via incoming draft picks (Spurs and hopefully TOR), 2 via free agency and maybe 1-2 via trade.

Everyone but Wemby, Vassell, Sochan is on the block. But would want to see Cedi, Graham, Collins, and Blake prioritized to be replaced, with Branham and Bassey on the block as well depending on draft/fa. But I want 5 new faces on team next season at a minimum.
    I don't think you've adapted to the new NBA economics yet. Monk isn't going to be gettable for $15MM/year, just like Grayson Allen wasn't going to be gettable for the 3/$40 you threw out in another thread. I get the sense that $15MM AAV is your mental cut of big money, but that's barely above the MLE next year ($12.9MM). You aren't going to get very far if $15MM/year is your individual cap, unless you just want to fill the roster with some MLE-type players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think you've adapted to the new NBA economics yet. Monk isn't going to be gettable for $15MM/year, just like Grayson Allen wasn't going to be gettable for the 3/$40 you threw out in another thread. I get the sense that $15MM AAV is your mental cut of big money, but that's barely above the MLE next year ($12.9MM). You aren't going to get very far if $15MM/year is your individual cap, unless you just want to fill the roster with some MLE-type players.
    My friend - I understand it fully. Im talking about what the Spurs should be willing to pay. Not the market as in if they cannot get him for their price they need to move on. I also understand fully that means they likely dont get them and Im ok with that.

I even explained this in the Grayson Allen example where I said his market was likely 4/70 which was pretty close.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So the Spurs should only be willing to vastly underpay players like Allen and Monk? Sounds like a real recipe for success.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So the Spurs should only be willing to vastly underpay players like Allen and Monk? Sounds like a real recipe for success.
    Correct. Success is measured differently. The gist here is they should be looking for ways to improve but for the same reasons you shouldn’t be going all in for Trae Young and trading bunch of picks, you shouldn’t be paying market value for good role players that just eat up usage (Monk more than Allen in that case) when you still need Dev/Wemby/Sochan to soak that all up.

Is it the end of the world to pay Monk 20M? Nah - hopefully you can trade that deal if you need to and if its just a one year or two year deal Im ok with it; but seems obvious to me at least that Spurs should have a cap on paying big money (especially longer than 2 years) on guys who are just high end role players and have no shot at really truly growing or leaping the team (like Dillon Brooks deal for HOU).

Just doesn’t seem like a smart idea and I’d rather just hunt for value. Good news is the market will take care of this for me and likely prevent Spurs from overpaying those types so Im not worried.

But if how like Oubre fell through the cracks after so many thinking he would land a much bigger deal, that’s more the point Im making here..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs are going to have Dev, Sochan and Wemby and maybe 3-5 lottery talents on the roster between this draft and next. Thats up to 8 guys who should all have upside and need roles expanded etc….so paying 20M for a guy like Monk to block them, even if that’s fair value, doesnt seem prudent to me but I would love for SA to add someone like that if the deal is really good because then it becomes not only a great value but a real trade asset as well amongst other things and you dont feel the need to cater to said player either

But I have no issue replacing Keldon with Monk for example money wise; but these are all the factors I think about alongside age, upside and opportunity costs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ​
    It is supposed to be IDEAL.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Draft:
    I don't want to draft for position, that doesn't seem wise. Williams and Risacher are more than underwhelming. It doesn't make sense to burn a pick on someone who you'll just complain about a year from now, and we all know you'll all just be ing about them as much as you do the players we have. Why do I know this? Because all most anyone here does is .

Anyway, I think the guards have more projectable skillsets and I want someone who has some elite core skills already, which CW and ZR don't have. I wouldn't be surprised to see Reed Sheppard. The most we can get out of this draft is a piece or two.

Trades:
    I don't see any trades on the horizon at all. At most a minor one.

Free Agents:
    I doubt there will be any free agents signed. A while back I thought a veteran or two would do wonders, but I think the team will stay the course. There's not even any roster spaces anyway.

Roster:
    The core as I see it - for the next couple years - is Wembs, Sochan, Vassell, Keldon, Branham, Collins, in starkly descending order after Vassell. Keldon means more to the team than what he could get in exchange. No idea why you'd want to trade him. Branham has more of a ceiling than that the asylum inmates here think. Collins is a player that we cannot replace right now. I don't want to waste a pick getting Clingan or Filipowski when Collins is perfectly fine. No, he's not as bad as you say, you dopes.

The rest are players who will determine their future in the next year. Champ is a must-keep because there are no other options. If we do get a starting SF, he can be great off the bench. No, Williams or Risacher are not going to be starting next year. Wesley, unfortunately, I think has a short window, but there's no reason to move on from him yet. Mamu should be kept if possible. Barlow and Bassey are question marks, but it's hard to move on them given a need for bigs.

Verdict:
    I don't see a lot of changes other than clearing spots for a couple of rookies. They might wait until trade deadline, but this team is going to grow slowly, as they've said multiple times. I think they'll take hard consideration at getting a veteran point, like even Chris Paul, but Tre has been great. He's perfectly fine for a while going forward. People who are frantic to get a starting point and willing to give up a treasure trove are mistaken. If you want Trae Young, the vastly better option is ensuring you get Dillingham. Far cheaper, more coachable, so if he doesn't work you didn't just cut your off.

Key needs: a first-level perimeter option, perimeter defense, a good bulky defensive big, perimeter shooting. You can maybe solve one of the first two issues in this draft. The rest will have to be found shrewdly or found later.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ​

Yup. My thoughts were in what’s good for the Spurs and what I hope/think they should do. It doesnt mean anything else is awful, but just like HOU paying Brooks 4/80 and Spurs fans ripping HOU for that? I dont think those types of deals right now are ideal even if they can be still ok.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ​

Sure, but there is a difference between "ideal" and "realistic". Sure, it would be IDEAL if Paul George came here for a vet min deal, but it's not realistic, so it's not worth thinking about. If you're only willing to pay a player a fraction of his market value, then you really just don't want that player - in which case just say so.

Thread Information