Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't see how they keep Langford and his 5 million dollar contract but were willing to throw away 13 plus million on Gallinari's contract. Gallinari could have been useful, Langford hasn't done squat other than take up a roster spot. I'm sure there is a financial explanation somewhere, but it doesn't make sense initially. The roster needs to be cut down a bit. Langford is my first choice other than the usual training camp invites.
    https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2022/07/...gallinari.html
    Acquired by San Antonio in the Dejounte Murray trade in June, Gallinari was used as a salary-matching piece in that deal. The $5MM partial guarantee on his $21.45MM salary for 2022/23 was increased to $13MM to help make the deal work, according to Marks.
    Gallinari's contract wasn't fully guaranteed so they saved close to 9M by waving him. Langford's contract, on the other hand, is fully guaranteed. So given you have to pay him anyway, the FO may plan to keep him for the time being and use him as a trade filler later on.
    Last edited by Ariel; 10-08-2022 at 02:10 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Langford's contract isn't a good asset. The Spurs have a bunch of cap space and don't need to send out matching salary. I can't think of many scenarios where a team would rather pay all or some of Langford's contract over getting a full TE. Even in those scenarios, the Spurs can acquire and immediately trade another such contract from a team since they're under the cap. The only think Romeo has going for him over KBD and Roby is his option value next summer. The Spurs would have RFA rights over Langford whereas those others are UFAs. Similarly, Roby can be extended this year while KBD cannot. Neither situation really matters though. I don't see how Langford isn't cut. Wieskamp is probably the 15th man.

Jones, Primo, Wesley
    Vassell, Richardson, Branham
    KBD, McDermott, Wieskamp
    Johnson, Roby, Sochan
    Poeltl, Collins, Dieng

TW: Barlow, Hall

Even though he could play, I can totally see Sochan joining Wesley and Branham in Austin this year. While I think it's a huge priority to develop the young players, developing/showcasing the young vets also matters. That rotation actually makes a fair bit of sense, and if the vets end up getting traded, it should leave room for the others to ascend later in the season.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ Other than Johnson being the nominal three and Bates-Diop the nominal four (obviously they'll cross match defensively at times), that looks like the opening night rotation at the moment.

Bates-Diop and Roby could both have trade value dependent on their 3-point %/volume. They still wouldn't fetch much alone but adding one to Poeltl or Richardson could beef up a package.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KBD is the 315 lb deadlift that Sochan has to prove he can lift before he adds another 90 lb

Thats what development is and what folks refuse to see when they cry for the team to play an all teen lineup. They have to have a bar that’s set for them to push themselves. Some of yall act like you never earned anything in your lives and it shows.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The least talented and more than likely worst team in the league, starting their first re-build in eons, seems likely to having their highest lottery pick in a quarter century start the season seeing spot minutes at most in favor of two players hanging by a thread in the league and somehow this, like virtually everything else, is being spun into a positive.

Ignoring whether Bates-Diop and Roby have "earned it", is the reality that this, as usual, was clearly predetermined. No other team in this situation would do this and most would be blasted if there was so much a hint of it being a possibility.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The least talented and more than likely worst team in the league, starting their first re-build in eons, seems likely to having their highest lottery pick in a quarter century start the season seeing spot minutes at most in favor of two players hanging by a thread in the league and somehow this, like virtually everything else, is being spun into a positive.

Ignoring whether Bates-Diop and Roby have "earned it", is the reality that this, as usual, was clearly predetermined. No other team in this situation would do this and most would be blasted if there was so much a hint of it being a possibility.

For the record, my post wasn’t directed towards anyone in this thread. It was a general comment. And I was mostly referring to players like Poeltl, McD, and JRich. Not KBD or Roby.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Langford's contract isn't a good asset. The Spurs have a bunch of cap space and don't need to send out matching salary. I can't think of many scenarios where a team would rather pay all or some of Langford's contract over getting a full TE. Even in those scenarios, the Spurs can acquire and immediately trade another such contract from a team since they're under the cap. The only think Romeo has going for him over KBD and Roby is his option value next summer. The Spurs would have RFA rights over Langford whereas those others are UFAs. Similarly, Roby can be extended this year while KBD cannot. Neither situation really matters though. I don't see how Langford isn't cut. Wieskamp is probably the 15th man.

Jones, Primo, Wesley
    Vassell, Richardson, Branham
    KBD, McDermott, Wieskamp
    Johnson, Roby, Sochan
    Poeltl, Collins, Dieng

TW: Barlow, Hall

Even though he could play, I can totally see Sochan joining Wesley and Branham in Austin this year. While I think it's a huge priority to develop the young players, developing/showcasing the young vets also matters. That rotation actually makes a fair bit of sense, and if the vets end up getting traded, it should leave room for the others to ascend later in the season.
    What team that is in more need of talent than the spurs would want Langford ? I see more talent in end of the bench player Weiskamp than in Langford. Come on spurs cut the dude and open up a roster spot for some deserving player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kuhse has been waived.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Langford and Alize next

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs legend Darius Days was waived by MIA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs legend Darius Days was waived by MIA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Legit the Spurs should claim Days and then waive him to get his d-league rights

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wish the spurs would grab Cain for a 2 way. Yes I know our 2 ways are already taken but we should keep him and barlow and let the other one go.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop called the whole team a bunch of role players. Is that a challenge/psyop?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Langford and Alize next
    I don't even think Langford wants to be with the Spurs. Pity another athletic freak, Luka comes to mind.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's nice to see that they appear to not be a half-dozen years behind the latest trend, which is that the league has subtly trended more towards positional size again.

We knew Vassell and Primo (skeptical, granted) would shift down a position, but finally Johnson is too. We've also seen lineups with Roby at the three, McDermott at the two, etc.

"Small ball" was always a misnomer. It was really "skill ball", only more smaller players naturally had those required when the game shifted.

The natural evolution was always going to be bigger players adjusting to it in the developmental stages and size reigning supreme again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Final rotation tbh

Tre/ Primo/ Wesley/ Hall
    Vassell/ JRich/ Branham
    Keldon/ McDermott/ Wieskamp
    Sochan/ KBD/ Roby
    Poeltl/ Collins/ Dieng/ Barlow

With everyone except all four centers + Tre able to move up or down a position. Versatility.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Final rotation tbh

Tre/ Primo/ Wesley/ Hall
    Vassell/ JRich/ Branham
    Keldon/ McDermott/ Wieskamp
    Sochan/ KBD/ Roby
    Poeltl/ Collins/ Dieng/ Barlow

With everyone except all four centers + Tre able to move up or down a position. Versatility.
    Looks legit. With how Branham is looking I'd really like to trade J Rich ASAP.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Romeo Langford with 2pts tonight, 1-3 FG. Did we see the last of him. Seriously I like his potential... again big if on the potential. I don't know if he just doesn't want to be with a rebuilding team, or that his motor is on and off. I rather keep him than Weiskamp or Hall. But Pop has no patience for people who are not 100% on the same page. When is the due date to cut the roster to 17, counting in the two-way contracts?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Romeo Langford with 2pts tonight, 1-3 FG. Did we see the last of him. Seriously I like his potential... again big if on the potential. I don't know if he just doesn't want to be with a rebuilding team, or that his motor is on and off. I rather keep him than Weiskamp or Hall. But Pop has no patience for people who are not 100% on the same page. When is the due date to cut the roster to 17, counting in the two-way contracts?
    Monday 4pm.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It doesn’t matter how much potential the 13th -15th guy has. Why do we always have to view every player as having star or starter potential. Romeo just has to fit as a glue guy, and that’s it. If he’s not a glue guy, then he should be let go. No matter how good or bad a team is expected to be, there always has to be room for glue guys who know their role. The deep bench guys should be plug and play, good locker room guys. Nothing more, nothing less.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count

538 seems to think SA will hover around 30 wins again

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

538 seems to think SA will hover around 30 wins again
    I think the Wolves and Pels are better than this suggests and the Mavs are worse.

The West is overall pretty lousy -- I see the Warriors with an extremely good chance to get back into the Finals when there's no seasoned, great East team to knock them off.

I also think the Lakers are inconsequential despite having LeBron and Davis. I'm not sure the Spurs will be that much worse than last year.

Mystified by where they place the Jazz.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs are way too high. Rockets and OKC should be better than our team. At least I hope so

Thread Information