Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still think the most likely rotation is . . .

Johnson/Sochan
    McDermott/Richardson
    Poeltl/Collins
    Vassell/Branham
    Jones/Primo

Maybe McDermott defends the four more often or Roby is in the rotation instead of Branham (though gymnastics will be required to cycle three players through the four), but health willing I don't foresee Johnson playing significantly more three until . . .

Post trade deadline

Sochan/Roby
    Johnson/McDermott
    Collins/?
    Vassell/Branham
    Primo/Jones

? Could be a player received in a trade, Dieng or small ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks, nice work. Pretty much what common sense would dictate, no more toilet in the kitchen kind of line ups. The only worry I have is that, although if definitely makes more sense from a basketball standpoint (Tre pg, Vassell @ 2, keldon @ 3, McDermott / Sochan @ 4 & Poeltl @ 5), and with all those guys having something to prove (Poeltl, Vassell & Tre are facing a contract year, Keldon wants to become "the guy", & McDermott will fight not to become trade fodder), it will definitely make us win more games than strictly necessary for a high pick. The thought of OKC sidelining SGA with phantom injuries and landing Wembanyama makes me sick to my stomach.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only reasons McD would start (which is entirely possible as I outlined in my last post)

1) vet experience
    2) starting lineup lacks 3 pt shooting (mainly speaking of Tre here and if he has not improved his shooting)

otherwise, Roby or Sochan is the day 1 starter

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AND we get to showcase him for a future trade. I'd definitely go Sochan / Roby otherwise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Speaking of Primo, if the Spurs truly view him highly then one has to think that Vassell is the odd man out and will be showcased in a trade. Him and Malaki have an overlap of skills on offense and IMO, Malaki is more the natural scorer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm taking the old school LMA off-season approach...

KJ no longer playing the 4 full time would be a huge W.

My All-excitement lineup on paper, (at this stage) would probably be Wesley, Vassell, KJ, Sochan and Roby.
    Chinook in shambles. How can Pop say that when he's really a PF?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    @ Manu’s photo of him watching Malaki closely

really hope his role expands within the org

Every year it seems he spends more and more time with the Spurs. He really wants the team to be successful again.

I am glad the big 3 didn’t just move on and have nothing to do with the team. There was a lot of class, humility from that era that needs to spill over to this next era. the primadonna players these days. This will hopefully give way for the next Spurs’ guy to be more like Giannis or Curry than bags like Irving, Harden.
    I have had this feeling for the last three years that Manu will replacing Pop as head coach for the spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, Pop publicly saying something (coaching-wise) is usually an indicator of his real plans. Highly doubt he says that and then still goes with KJ as the four. That’s normally a big leap for Pop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like we will be able to watch the Spurs/Rockets preseason game tomorrow on the Spurs app.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chinook in shambles. How can Pop say that when he's really a PF?
    I don't have a problem with Pop trying to get Keldon to play down a position. If Johnson losing weight makes him an effective perimeter player, more power to him. I'm glad you're feeling vindicated or whatever.

For me, though, I have two concerns.

1) Losing weight isn't a universally good thing. Johnson's girth gave him certain advantages that he might not have now. On offense, it helped him grab rebounds, get to the bucket, finish through contact, etc. Defensively, it helped him hold up against bigger players. While losing weight likely helps his agility, the extent to which is does is unknown. He couldn't play the three last year. He just didn't have the feet for it. If that didn't get better, but now he can't bang down low, he's just less effective. Weight also helps stave off injury. It's not as important as it is in the NFL, but seeing as Johnson's been a pretty physical player for most of his career, it's something to look out for. Finally, it remains to be seen if Johnson can keep this weight off. A person's "off-season weight" and the playing weight they establish in a season can differ pretty strongly. A lot of times, this is how folks go from having "added X pounds of muscle" to looking the same. If Johnson lost his weight through unsustainable means, it's possible he won't be able to keep up metabolic under the demands of a full season grind. I want this to work out for Keldon, but I'm more cautious than many in this thread seem to be.

2) Pop says stuff. It's pretty clear he's been putting every single prospect on the same development plan for a decade now. It's not surprising that he's trying to turn Johnson into a point-guard. He's done that with everyone else. I'm glad at least that unlike a number of those other guys, Johnson has learned to shoot first. I've got little issue with Pop trying this out. I just don't think him stating his intention can give us much insight into how things will shake out. It never seems to occur to Pop to develop guys with them becoming high-level starters or complementary players being the goal. Not every player has Murray's personality where they don't seem to have the humility to not be "the man" when someone has a better shot. Keldon might well be able to respec into a solid piece if someone else "arrives". It doesn't sit right with me how much time Spurs prospects invest into a one-on-one scoring skill-set, and I feel like we've seen it not work consistently enough to assume it'll just happen this time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Same development plan for every prospect, huh? You make it sound like there’s been many. It has only been Kawhi and Murray. Who are you counting?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they can get Primo and Keldon to play effectively as PG and SF, then they could have a huge line-up Primo-Vassell-Johnson-Sochan-Poeltl. Probably won't be the start of season line-up but I hope it'd be the end goal. Tall, strong and physical, with hopefully enough shooting and defense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    @ Manu’s photo of him watching Malaki closely

really hope his role expands within the org

Every year it seems he spends more and more time with the Spurs. He really wants the team to be successful again.

I am glad the big 3 didn’t just move on and have nothing to do with the team. There was a lot of class, humility from that era that needs to spill over to this next era. the primadonna players these days. This will hopefully give way for the next Spurs’ guy to be more like Giannis or Curry than bags like Irving, Harden.
    I'm ever so anxiously waiting for the formal announcement of Manu coming back... He's the Prodigal Son tbh. I think he'll enjoy a couple more years of "family life" and such, and take the opportunity to come back when the Spurs aren't actively tanking or looking like it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still think the most likely rotation is . . .

Johnson/Sochan
    McDermott/Richardson
    Poeltl/Collins
    Vassell/Branham
    Jones/Primo

Maybe McDermott defends the four more often or Roby is in the rotation instead of Branham (though gymnastics will be required to cycle three players through the four), but health willing I don't foresee Johnson playing significantly more three until . . .

Post trade deadline

Sochan/Roby
    Johnson/McDermott
    Collins/?
    Vassell/Branham
    Primo/Jones

? Could be a player received in a trade, Dieng or small ball.
    I'd now change the most likely rotation to . . .

Roby/Sochan
    Johnson/McDermott
    Poeltl/Collins
    Vassell/Richardson
    Jones/Primo

Johnson will obviously still play some four, paving the way for McDermott to average 20-25 mpg.

Branham will probably (inexplicably) see spot minutes in the early going, but obviously it's unlikely the projected top 10 will all be available often anyway.

I'd also guess Bates-Diop beats out Langford, unless they find a PG/combo guard option they prefer on waivers (Sumner, Maledon, Dozier, Rivers, Burke, Cook, Dellavedova, Bolmaro, Butler) over the former.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KBD also makes a good “sparring partner” for Sochan given his length. Barely can find any bodies like that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sprinkles shoots a side spinning jumper?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imagine being in a coma for like five years, waking up today and looking at this roster...

Who?
    Now imagine having to tell said coma patient that losing is what we are hoping for.

I have to continually remind myself that I'm not wanting these guys to win, which as a Spurfan for 35+ years, feels so wrong. But it's the only solution to the funk we find ourselves in, and we will only continue to find ourselves in that purgatory state for the forseeable future. We desperately need one really good player then go upwards from there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Re: keeping Langford because of his contract

https://twitter.com/matthew_tynan/st...8iZ-vZRqndnTGA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ Langford is giving Luka vibes. I don’t think he has wanted to be here since day 1

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    #GrowthPlates

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't see how they keep Langford and his 5 million dollar contract but were willing to throw away 13 plus million on Gallinari's contract. Gallinari could have been useful, Langford hasn't done squat other than take up a roster spot. I'm sure there is a financial explanation somewhere, but it doesn't make sense initially. The roster needs to be cut down a bit. Langford is my first choice other than the usual training camp invites.

Thread Information