Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL has never heard of Phil Jackson
    He doesn't get anywhere near the credit Pop does. No one but Jordan does, which is in part why there's so much animosity and bitterness among many of the key figures.

The media pretends Pop was more important than Robinson, Ginobili, Parker and at least as important as Duncan.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In general, coaches get far too much blame for losses too. Especially in the "player empowerment"/ genized style of play era, they're just not that important and far too much time is spent dissecting them.
    In general, I agree on the blame for coaches , but I do believe even now a level of good coaching makes a big difference between good and great teams. But again the players are the majority owners on that. Bottom line is a coach can do a great job and get his ass kicked by better players. Thanks for the discussion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Funny to see the 'I hate Pop because he called out the racist piece of Trump crowd' showing up saying no one wants to play for the winning Team USA and 5 time NBA Champion coach. This type of ignorance has become semi-humorous as we witness Trump's demise in real time. However, our time in the sun has passed and boy was it a long, great run. Stars coming here has little to do with Pop and a lot to do with we have no chance of making the playoffs. We are rebuilding. It takes time and the Spurs won't be relevant again for some time. Pop will soon be busy living the good life and getting inducted into the Hall Of Fame if he is so inclined to accept.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Funny to see the 'I hate Pop because he called out the racist piece of Trump crowd' showing up saying no one wants to play for the winning Team USA and 5 time NBA Champion coach. This type of ignorance has become semi-humorous as we witness Trump's demise in real time. However, our time in the sun has passed and boy was it a long, great run. Stars coming here has little to do with Pop and a lot to do with we have no chance of making the playoffs. We are rebuilding. It takes time and the Spurs won't be relevant again for some time. Pop will soon be busy living the good life and getting inducted into the Hall Of Fame if he is so inclined to accept.
    No one is making their views on Pop about politics in this discussion. Just you.

I’m fine with Pop’s politics. Player’s don’t want to play for Pop in San Antonio for many reasons but politics isn’t one.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He doesn't get anywhere near the credit Pop does. No one but Jordan does, which is in part why there's so much animosity and bitterness among many of the key figures.
    He did when they were winning. I can't tell you how many times I heard about how the Lakers won the 2000 le because Jackson made them do basic drills in training camp.

The media pretends Pop was more important than Robinson, Ginobili, Parker and at least as important as Duncan.
    LOL no they don't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lebron! Pop has already tainted this team since Timmy's absence so we don't need another to do more damage while trying to rebuild.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL has never heard of Phil Jackson
    He couldn’t ride without training wheels once Tex Winter retired.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one is making their views on Pop about politics in this discussion. Just you.

I’m fine with Pop’s politics. Player’s don’t want to play for Pop in San Antonio for many reasons but politics isn’t one.
    I do think there was a mention in there by another poster.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's sad u care what these guys think about in ur spare time

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He did when they were winning. I can't tell you how many times I heard about how the Lakers won the 2000 le because Jackson made them do basic drills in training camp.

LOL no they don't.
    It was always almost held against Jackson that he coached Jordan, O'Neal, Bryant and to a lesser extent Pippen. They act like Pop coached chopped liver.

LOL yes they do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was always almost held against Jackson that he coached Jordan, O'Neal, Bryant and to a lesser extent Pippen. They act like Pop coached chopped liver.

LOL yes they do.
    Both teams that PJ coached had already been to the conference Finals, and each had two All NBA players on the roster. Pop took over a disaster team, not knowing Duncan was coming. No one even thought we’d get him at the end of the season. We were #6 in lotto balls, and Boston had like twice as many, and wound up at #3 and #6 after the draw.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Bronny is available when we draft, we pick him and immediately flip him to the Lakes for their #1 unprotected picks in 2030, 2032 and 2034 with pick swaps in 2031 and 2033. The pressure on them will be too intense to decline. That's a checkmate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Bronny is available when we draft, we pick him and immediately flip him to the Lakes for their #1 unprotected picks in 2030, 2032 and 2034 with pick swaps in 2031 and 2033. The pressure on them will be too intense to decline. That's a checkmate.
    He’s going to end up going first round if LBJ continues this chatter and it won’t be to a place LBJ doesn’t want to play. This will be managed.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Both teams that PJ coached had already been to the conference Finals, and each had two All NBA players on the roster. Pop took over a disaster team, not knowing Duncan was coming. No one even thought we’d get him at the end of the season. We were #6 in lotto balls, and Boston had like twice as many, and wound up at #3 and #6 after the draw.
    I'm well aware of the history and not suggesting Jackson deserves more credit than he received. I'm saying Pop receives a disproportionate amount.

Pop took over a top five team/player; they were just decimated by injury. Then he lucked into a second, even greater "generational prospect" and the rest is history.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s too far out. The 2029 just became tradeable this summer. 2030 becomes available next summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does Timmy Duncan Jr hoop?

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bronny isn't likely to be NBA level talent right out of high school when he graduates next year so you gotta think he's going to spend at least a year in college or the G-League. Best case scenario he blows up freshman year at Duke, UCLA, Kansas, Kentucky, or UNC and shows himself to be NBA level talent for the 2024 draft. Then LeBron is two months from 40 when the season starts after that draft and Lolkers aren't gutting their future draft capital for that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My post was meant to be a parody of the Lakers woeful roster construction and inept front office management.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My post was meant to be a parody of the Lakers woeful roster construction and inept front office management.
    Lol for the record even though I responded I did catch that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    San Antonio has never been a destination city. It takes the right superstar to want to be here. Tim, David and the Iceman. San Antonio was lucky to have three guys who were proud to put the team on their shoulders over the years, and each carved out their own period of success as the face of the franchise.

That mantle was supposed to be passed to the re , but he wasn't cut out for it. The only chance of landing a 4th such keystone player will probably be to draft a foreign born talent. Guys like Giannis and the Joker are the only players who appear willing to stick with a mid-major and let the franchise build around them. The American players chase the money and fame. Having three Hall of Famers playing together on the same team for as long as the Spurs had? That will probably never happen again. Pop gets some credit for that in my book...a lot of credit actually. That said, he probably should have retired when Tim did like he always promised. The Spurs tried to stay relevant for a little too long instead of turning the page. I have to hand it to Utah...they saw they weren't going to win with the group they had and blew it up quick. The Spurs probably should have done that as soon as Kawhi wanted out. The rebuild would have been complete, and if all they were dumping Kawhi and LMA for was picks, they would have made out like bandits.

But...such is life. In five years or so we just might be decent again!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wasn't all that separated Timmy Dunks going to Orlando Magic being Doc Rivers refusal to let the Duncan family ride on the plane?

Still think Pop gets a lot of credit but the runs foundation and ongoing anchor was Duncan, pure and simple.

Lebron is going to dictate where he goes in 2024, that's a given. If the Flamers try to force some trade to LA, i would hope whichever team drafts Bribbt holds a ransom asking price. But as always the scheming Lakers will pull some corrupt chit behind the scenes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Outside of the draft, a forced trade or a washed up role player looking for another paycheck, no one will come to SA until Pop retires. They don't really want to play under him.
    Remember how Pop chooses players and their time on court. He would have to earn any minutes. NO AUTOMATIC PLACEMENTS

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Remember how Pop chooses players and their time on court. He would have to earn any minutes. NO AUTOMATIC PLACEMENTS
    Right, because McDermott didn’t play at all last year. Neither did Richardson. First timers.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

LOL yes they do.
    Well the media thinks that Parker and Manu are chopped liver, they have to give credit some where.

Thread Information