Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Ainge can eventually get more for Conley and Bogdonavich than Westbrick.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Ainge can eventually get more for Conley and Bogdonavich than Westbrick.
    The point would be to get two firsts from the Lakers. Westbrook would probably be immediately waived or bought out.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm no cap guru but is another route for the Spurs to take to just sit where they are and let the $18 million or so be distributed to the players on roster as a sort of bonus?

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...-Agreement.pdf

(see "Minimum Team Salary" on page 159)

"In the event that a Team’s Team Salary for a Salary Cap Year
    as of the start of the Team’s last Regular Season game of that
    Article VII 161
    Salary Cap Year is less than the applicable Minimum Team Salary
    for that Salary Cap Year, the NBA shall cause such Team to make
    payments to the players who were on the Team’s roster during the
    Regular Season covered by such Salary Cap Year equal to the
    shortfall"

I'm not sure if the "minimum team salary" is a separate term from the "cap floor" at this link which lists it at $111 million:

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/san-antonio-spurs/cap/

Basically just use the $$ as goodwill? For the rookies especially that makes it a bit easier to stomach a non-compe ive, developmental season. It may lead to a more cohesive locker room than seeing that money go to Russell Westbrook for a future pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They're not getting 2 first rounders for Jakob tbh.
    They received a first-round pick for Thaddeus Young, although he sat on the bench for half of the games.
    Jakob is one of the best defensive centers in the league. Plus, he gives a bunch of impact on offense (screens, offensive rebounds, and so on).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What are you arguing. On one hand you said we have lack of depth at the center position if Jak is moved and now you are arguing a 6’8 Socahn (whom has never played center) makes a whole lotta sense.

Sochan should be playing the 4 out the gate. Especially on a roster that hasn’t had a true decent PF in years. He can moonlight as a center, matchup dependent.
    1) Sohan was used as a point center in college sometimes.
    2) Kevon Looney at UCLA was a small forward and shoot threes. Isn't he the center right now?
    Last edited by Vince Carter's ankle; 09-20-2022 at 02:37 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They received a first-round pick for Thaddeus Young, although he sat on the bench for half of the games.
    Jakob is one of the best defensive centers in the league. Plus, he gives a bunch of impact on offense (screens, offensive rebounds, and so on).
    Spurs moved up 13 spots. We gave our 33rd pick to get 20.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For a forum picky about a team’s position in the draft (literally 2 spots make people scream), you’d think they’d be wise enough not to value second round picks the same way as first round picks. It might as well be 23 spots up than 13 since no one here will genuinely say that any pick after the 30th selection amounts to much anyway. And if they tell you it does, they’re hypocrites and are lying to you. Logic gets blown out of the water here frequently.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another example of logic getting blown out of the water:

Spurstalk god flip flops on inside info from a month or so ago saying it was a sure thing a player gets traded. People eat it up. Now that’s not the case— no one bats an eye.

My Team
    Washington Wizards
    Post Count
    Weirdly enough, all I want is to see more of Zach Collins.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For a forum picky about a team’s position in the draft (literally 2 spots make people scream), you’d think they’d be wise enough not to value second round picks the same way as first round picks. It might as well be 23 spots up than 13 since no one here will genuinely say that any pick after the 30th selection amounts to much anyway. And if they tell you it does, they’re hypocrites and are lying to you. Logic gets blown out of the water here frequently.
    It’s not a science; the relationship in draft order is never linear and these relationships change each year depending on the talent pool. Did you notice how many early second rounders netted 4yr deals this summer?

We traded Thad for an in the money pick swap. It was a solid move but it wasn’t an outright FRP.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How does this make a lick of sense? Waiting out the Spurs?

Man people have a foul idea of how works. Teams will play the season. Whether due to injuries or otherwise, some playoff teams will realize they need a player or two. That's the market. No one is 'waiting out' the Spurs whatever the that means.
    I’ll explain it to you like you’re five. Think of Jak like lemonade at a lemonade stand. You charge a dollar for a cup but nobody is buying because your price is too high. Mommy is going to make you come inside when it gets dark. You need to sell your lemonade before it gets dark. So as it starts to get dark you cut your price to 25 cents so the other kids will buy your lemonade.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ll explain it to you like you’re five. Think of Jak like lemonade at a lemonade stand. You charge a dollar for a cup but nobody is buying because your price is too high. Mommy is going to make you come inside when it gets dark. You need to sell your lemonade before it gets dark. So as it starts to get dark you cut your price to 25 cents so the other kids will buy your lemonade.
    But you don't have to sell the lemonade today because you have a refrigerator and tomorrow's forecast is for blistering heat and the kids playing will be very thirsty....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People underestimate how much the market has calcified. That's not a "leverage" thing. It's a result of training camp coming up. Few teams have the capacity and willingness to make medium moves before seeing guys play. Yes, the Spurs getting two firsts for Poeltl is very unlikely to happen. If they were to get them, they'd be the ultra ty firsts. One decent first from a lower-level playoff team would make more sense. Or maybe Poeltl isn't a liar and the team isn't trying to trade him. They can offer Jakob an extension on 10/01. I can't imagine they'd entertain any trade before seeing if he'll take a deal. Even if their goal is to move him, they'd get way more value trading him this off-season with three years left on his deal than they would right now as an expiring.

Richardson is a JAG and would need to play well to actually fetch a first-rounder. I see no reason to not give him the opportunity to improve his stock with guys like Branham and/or Wesley in Austin. Unless Wieskamp shows up and is an instant rotation player, there's a clear spot for a wing shooter off the bench.

Jones, Vassell, McDermott, Johnson, Poeltl
    Primo, Richardson, Sochan, Roby, Collins

Even if fans get what they want and McDermott comes off the bench and Sochan starts, that still leaves the second-unit with a glut of bigs and in need of Richardson's defense and mobility.

Speaking of McD, that this article made so much folks hand-wring about his contract is hilarious. He's coming off an injury, and the Spurs are rebuilding. It's not surprising that teams aren't lining up to pay him. The suggestion that he was a horrible contract is overblown. First, he was actually really good the year before the Spurs signed him. I didn't like them targeting him and still think it was a bad idea, but the issue was not that they were massively outbidding his production. Comparable players like Bertans and Robinson got much bigger deals, and they weren't better players. The reasons why the Spurs signed him (to improve offensive flow and to give their young play-makers an outlet) are only more important now. The idea of the Spurs having to keep McD for another year shouldn't scare anyone. He'll be good for the offense, and his bad defense will help the Spurs lose games. The combo is basically perfect for the team. The absolute downside is not having $14 Million more in space next year, and given how hard it's been for the team to use cap space recently, I don't think I'm too worried.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^I agree with most of this. JRich is more likely to jet you a few SRPs or can be used to trade up similiar to Thad. Still a nice return.

Jak has already stated his intent to explore free agency and seems to have a good idea of his worth. His extension eligibility amount is probably 2-5mm less than what he gets next summer. The Spurs will eventually get something for him I suspect whether via trade under the current deal, or in a sign and trade next summer. they could even move him this season and re-sign him next given our cap situation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs not getting "whatever they can get" for Poeltl only hurts them insofar as they miss out on whatever teams were willing to offer. We don't know if anyone is offering a first-plus right now. If teams are offering seconds, then the Spurs can easily just say no and let Jakob go to free agency. The team's fate is very, very likely to be tied to what happens with their natural picks over the next few years. It's unlikely that anything they get for Poeltl will materially affect their trajectory. At the same time, any team trying to "wait out" the Spurs will be missing out on Poeltl's production. The longer they wait, the less his expected impact on their team would be. There could be games earlier in the season where he could have helped them win, but because they were too worried about leverage, they lost them instead. That could hurt their standings. I don't actually think the situation is in their favor at all.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/spurs-trad...training-camp/

The post-Dejounte Trade offseason didn't go as planned, unfortunately.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haha..... the source of that article is SpursTalk and literally says the trade talks have died off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haha..... the source of that article is SpursTalk and literally says the trade talks have died off.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah the only second round picks the Spurs have made this century who played anything but garbage minutes were Blair and Tre Jones. Seconds aren't at all valuable these days when scouting is a lot better than it was say 40 years ago when you'd get lots of good players outside the top 30 picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jones, Vassell, McDermott, Johnson, Poeltl
    Primo, Richardson, Sochan, Roby, Collins
    If Keldon is a four, then I would like to see Jones and Primo in the starting five. Last season, a similar line up was already played against Portland.
    https://www.basketball-reference.com...204010SAS.html
    https://www.basketball-reference.com...204030SAS.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Keldon is a four, then I would like to see Jones and Primo in the starting five. Last season, a similar line up was already played against Portland.
    https://www.basketball-reference.com...204010SAS.html
    https://www.basketball-reference.com...204030SAS.html
    That lineup was because McD was out.

It's likely going to be what Chinook wrote although if the runours are true Primo may challenge Tre for starting point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That lineup was because McD was out.

It's likely going to be what Chinook wrote although if the runours are true Primo may challenge Tre for starting point.
    Right.
    But I don't get what the point is in the tanking season to give Doug 25+ minutes.
    Primo is better on defense and can move without the ball, judging by the games for Alabama. Although it is inferior in this aspect to McBuckets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jesse, what the are you talking about?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right.
    But I don't get what the point is in the tanking season to give Doug 25+ minutes.
    Primo is better on defense and can move without the ball, judging by the games for Alabama. Although it is inferior in this aspect to McBuckets.
    Neither will win you a single game… but realize Pop is still going to coach like we are compe ors. He doesn’t have a strategic mindset from a general management standpoint. He never has even when he held multiple hats.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just curious what people thought. Who would help win more games—Yak or Westbrick? I can see arguments either way. I obviously can see arguments that neither one should be on the team when we’re trying to rebuild. It also feels like San Antonio is still going to have to either lower their trade demands or somehow maybe make something work with the Lakers… Otherwise, yeah it’s resigning Yak to trade later (which seems unlikely) or waiting till the trade deadline or the off-season, which is probably what will happen.

Thread Information