Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who are you referring to to avoid the storm?
    Primo. He’s the current hate target here, in spite of the fact that he’s the same age as our flock of FRPs from this year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo. He’s the current hate target here, in spite of the fact that he’s the same age as our flock of FRPs from this year.
    Hey, stop speaking logically!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Doug signing was the most obvious stupid signing - so unfortunate. Oh well. At least SA has done well to realize their situation, extract solid value for others and still has some guys like Richardon/Jakob to keep going in that direction.

The FO has done a MUCH better job and turned me from hater to quasi-believer
    In retrospect, it would have been better to just pay him more than the $14 million per year but make it a two year deal. If he were expiring at say $17-$18, he’d be an asset right now instead of a liability.

That said, if I’m the Lakers and in cap anyway, I’d do anything I can to get the Westbrick contract broken up into 2-3 smaller deals that can be traded separately. I’d have to canvas the league, but getting back two McDermott contracts for one Westbrook probably means not having to attach picks to dump Westbrook. Their idea that Westbrook had any positive value is insane. I need at least an unprotected first to absorb him unless you’re also taking back my dead weight.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the Lakers, it’s possible they are just gonna play Westbrook minimally or even put him on the shelf rather than to further jeopardize their draft picks. It sounded to me like there was some of the conflict between Pelinka and LeBron, because they didn’t make any trades at the trade deadline, and as time goes along, and teams are happy to see the Lakers fail, they might just have to deal with the mess they created. Of course there always have to be a scapegoat with the Lakers, and that makes me wonder about the new coach.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the Lakers, it’s possible they are just gonna play Westbrook minimally or even put him on the shelf rather than to further jeopardize their draft picks. It sounded to me like there was some of the conflict between Pelinka and LeBron, because they didn’t make any trades at the trade deadline, and as time goes along, and teams are happy to see the Lakers fail, they might just have to deal with the mess they created. Of course there always have to be a scapegoat with the Lakers, and that makes me wonder about the new coach.
    Westbrook isn’t going to sit quietly on the sidelines like John Wall did. It isn’t in his nature. If they’re not going to play him at least rotation minutes, he’s going to be a problem.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Westbrook isn’t going to sit quietly on the sidelines like John Wall did. It isn’t in his nature. If they’re not going to play him at least rotation minutes, he’s going to be a problem.
    Unfortunately for Russ, he's been a bit of a problem wherever he's been, more so as he ages, loses his skills and importantly as he gets paid lots more for doing considerably less. Don't think that changes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We’ll see. Yeah, he’ll probably go crazy because that’s all he knows, but it’s possible Lebron makes peace with him. Or it is what it is, and he rants but they play better without him. If the team plays well without him, I would think that lowers his leverage. It’s going to be chaotic no matter what, but will the recent additions help them win more games…I think that’s the biggest issue in all this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Once a player like Poertl says he wants to try free agency (while we are in the midst of a rebuild) that should be a signal to trade him asap. He might be needed somewhere now, but as the season progresses and free agency looms large, his value as a trade asset will diminish as a lot GMs will want to buy him instead of trade away a good player and/or draft choice.

Personally, I don't like the sound of the desire to explore free agency because it makes clear that he realizes the situation and knows he might have a shot at a ring only on another team. Lots of players will take less money to get that ring if they have a chance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Once a player like Poertl says he wants to try free agency (while we are in the midst of a rebuild) that should be a signal to trade him asap. He might be needed somewhere now, but as the season progresses and free agency looms large, his value as a trade asset will diminish as a lot GMs will want to buy him instead of trade away a good player and/or draft choice.

Personally, I don't like the sound of the desire to explore free agency because it makes clear that he realizes the situation and knows he might have a shot at a ring only on another team. Lots of players will take less money to get that ring if they have a chance.
    Don’t agree with any of this. His extension eligible deal is below market value so of course he will become a free agent. The Spurs have a track record of low balling home grown guys. Why wouldn’t he keep his options open?

You should also realize few desirable teams will have the cap space to sign him as he will garner > the MLE which is the most playoff teams are likely to have outside of the Grizz.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    King, he isn't a home grown guy. I suspect the reasoning behind low-balling some of those "homegrown" guys is the FO appeals to their loyalty. (Hey, we picked you when no-0ne else would give you a chance) or they have a better grasp of their talents fromm long exposeure or a tactical decision as to where they fit into the roster and plans, Can you say, "Lonnie?" I knew that you could.

Finally, I agree that there might be fewer teams with cap space which limits the upside cash market for him AT THIS TIME but things change as team try to adjust to cap limits during the run up to the trade deadline. But it only takes one team with the capspace and the need, right?

Basically, we have some similar opinions but vary on the timing maybe. I just think the time to pull the trigger is asap so the team and Jak can move on if the trade is inevitable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    King, he isn't a home grown guy. I suspect the reasoning behind low-balling some of those "homegrown" guys is the FO appeals to their loyalty. (Hey, we picked you when no-0ne else would give you a chance) or they have a better grasp of their talents fromm long exposeure or a tactical decision as to where they fit into the roster and plans, Can you say, "Lonnie?" I knew that you could.

Finally, I agree that there might be fewer teams with cap space which limits the upside cash market for him AT THIS TIME but things change as team try to adjust to cap limits during the run up to the trade deadline. But it only takes one team with the capspace and the need, right?

Basically, we have some similar opinions but vary on the timing maybe. I just think the time to pull the trigger is asap so the team and Jak can move on if the trade is inevitable.
    He seems pretty loyal and remember we will have the cap space to outbid anyone next summer. I’m very comfortable taking a first and a project for him right now especially since it will help our draft positioning.

I also think we have some leverage in a sign and trade next off-season so I’m not giving him away if I am Brian Wright.

The time to sell high on him was last deadline and probably misread that situation based on rumours.

At some point we are going to have to start using this cap space we will have annually till we get a couple of actual cornerstone players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    McDermott will be a plus next season. The guy will put up some numbers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    McDermott will be a plus next season. The guy will put up some numbers.
    He’s a bum and who has never contributed to a good team. All the talk about him being a sniper and he’s never averaged over 5 3pt attempts a game in his career. If he gets that upto 8-10 attempts at 40% we can start talking about him being an asset that might get you an SRP. Otherwise he is a taller Brynn Forbes at 3x the cost.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    McBuckets will be an asset.

He will help the Tank by helping us earn an extra game or two in the L column that we would not otherwise achieve without him. Net negative players don't just grow on trees, we got good one here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    McDermott having a negative trade value should come as a surprise to one. The guy’s making nearly $14M a year. PATFO never should’ve given him that contract to begin with. One of many errors by this front office over the past 4 years.
    Far, far worse than the Patty 4 year/$50M deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Definitely trade Yak now. Orchestrating a sign and trade next off-season seems like a long shot. He needs to be on a good team, bot giving us extra wins. We scored with Dejounte but not all trades are home runs. Take a first and move on.
    Hard disagree on only 1 FRP..

1. Jak was a lottery pick, #9 to be specific only 6 years ago.
    2. He's still young and ostensibly just coming into his peak years.
    3. He's durable.
    4. He's a solid defensive anchor in the right system/team.
    5. He has 1 more year left on his very team friendly contract.
    6. He is adept at finishing close to the rim and a solid PnR player.

If you trade him this year, he's worth 2 FRPs. Periodt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lakers don't seem to understand that Westbrook is one of the most negative assets in the league.
    It doesn't matter because they'll just continue getting the best free agents year after year. They get to survive, even thrive with incompetence, where that sinks the chances of every other team in the league. They're the yankees.

Also, bend over and I'll show you a negative asset..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hate target?

Speaking for myself, I don't hate the kid one bit. I like him. I think he's got a solid NBA future...as a wing. What I hate is the coaches trying to make him into a PG when his skill set clearly doesn't forecast him as one.

That is evident to probably half the board. It makes so.e probably dislike him but it shouldn't. It's not his fault. I'll be actively cheering for him as he suits up this season as at least an occasional primary ball handler, assuming reporting and PATFO interviews are correct. But I'lladmit to a chuckle or two when he fails miserably too as it will only help the tank.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whether the FO admits it or not, the Spurs aren't trying to win and whoever they land for picks will be bench fodder if they have talent. Maybe not getting people like Westbrook is a blessing in disguise. Maybe he can go to the Pacers or Jazz and win them a few games. I hope McBuckets shoots lights out and elevates his trade value. As has been discussed by Kev, he needs to be shooting 8-10 3s a game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keldon Injured:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Expected back for the season opener.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I predict Keldon has a tough year. Nothing tells me he can be the main goto scorer in this team. Without DJ his job got much harder. He isn’t a goto scorer. If he can replicate last year but with better passing/play making, defense or rebounding that’s a win for me.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hate target?

Speaking for myself, I don't hate the kid one bit. I like him. I think he's got a solid NBA future...as a wing. What I hate is the coaches trying to make him into a PG when his skill set clearly doesn't forecast him as one.

That is evident to probably half the board. It makes so.e probably dislike him but it shouldn't. It's not his fault. I'll be actively cheering for him as he suits up this season as at least an occasional primary ball handler, assuming reporting and PATFO interviews are correct. But I'lladmit to a chuckle or two when he fails miserably too as it will only help the tank.
    I’m not completely sold that the team is trying to make him a PG. I think he was utilized in that capacity as a training exercise and to develop other areas of his game. It certainly provided him with a number of games from a different perspective.

If they really do try to make into a PG I’ll walk that back and agree with you and others here.

With DJ gone I think Tre steps in and we’ll see Primo predominately at the 2 with some ball handling duties. He absolutely needed to develop more poise and control in that area so it made sense to overwork him at the 1.

But we’ll see.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Jak stays and we resign him. That's my theory.
    My theory is Jak stays and walks for nothing...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hard disagree on only 1 FRP..

1. Jak was a lottery pick, #9 to be specific only 6 years ago.
    2. He's still young and ostensibly just coming into his peak years.
    3. He's durable.
    4. He's a solid defensive anchor in the right system/team.
    5. He has 1 more year left on his very team friendly contract.
    6. He is adept at finishing close to the rim and a solid PnR player.

If you trade him this year, he's worth 2 FRPs. Periodt.
    I see it as a choice between holding out to hopefully trade him for two first round picks but with the risk that you might not get anything and he walks in free agency for nothing. Personally, I’d rather just take the first round pick and not have him on the team, which would give us extra wins we don’t really need at this point in rebuilding.

Thread Information