Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    My Team
    Washington Wizards
    Post Count
    IF Keldon would miss time, what would the starting line up look like? Dougie at SF, Sochan PF?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IF Keldon would miss time, what would the starting line up look like? Dougie at SF, Sochan PF?
    I do think Vassell is the starting permanent 3 here. Primo and Jones are the starting backcourt. So it might just be Dougie starting PF or Collins in big lineups. Sochan would need to impress during training camp and pre season to get the start.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t wish anyone injury, but Keldon’s injury could force Pop to start his players in their natural positions with Devin in 2, McD in 3 and Sochan in 4. And ultimately Keldon could come back playing 3. I really like Sochan to show what he can do at 4. Ideally if they’re not in rebuilding and not trading Poeltl, I really want to see how effective a Sochan/Poeltl front court, how effective Poeltl be playing along a good size PF.

Regarding Keldon’s position, which would not be a popular opinion here, but I think he’s best suited as a Manu role 6th man. Granted he can knock down 3’s but his short of lateral speed is still suspect to cover faster 3’s. For now I’d start: Tre/Devin/McD/Sochan/Poeltl or Primo at 3 if they traded McD before season opener. Although a Keldon/Sochan/Poeltl frontcourt could be intriguing. Poeltl will really mess-up the tank season because a Tre,Devin,Keldon,Sochan,Poeltl lineup might be quite compe ive on paper.
    Last edited by John B; 09-25-2022 at 06:12 AM.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very possible that Roby starts with Keldon out. I just don’t see pop giving a rookie a starting job right out of the gate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very possible that Roby starts with Keldon out. I just don’t see pop giving a rookie a starting job right out of the gate.
    Normally I would agree but this is the first top 10 rookie Pop has had since Tim Duncan, fills a real need for the Spurs, and it's not like we are trying to win games anyways.

I think anything is on the table, but yeah...sometimes Pop gonna Pop.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do think Vassell is the starting permanent 3 here. Primo and Jones are the starting backcourt. So it might just be Dougie starting PF or Collins in big lineups. Sochan would need to impress during training camp and pre season to get the start.
    I don't know why anyone continues to think Primo will be doing anything but playing almost entirely at PG. Jones and Wesley, who is clearly slated to be spending much of the season in the G-League, are literally the only other options at the position.

As The Truth #6 said, expect Roby to start in the interim. It'll allow them to maintain the remainder of the projected rotation, a Pop staple.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know why anyone continues to think Primo will be doing anything but playing almost entirely at PG. Jones and Wesley, who is clearly slated to be spending much of the season in the G-League, are literally the only other options at the position.

As The Truth #6 said, expect Roby to start in the interim. It'll allow them to maintain the remainder of the projected rotation, a Pop staple.
    Yeah whether they see him as a long term PG or not he’s going to have to spend some time there. JRich probably will too unless you think Hall and Kuhse have any type of role which is a stretch.

I think it’s very unlikely to see Tre and Primo even play together. Their minutes need to be staggered and Primo makes most sense coming off the bench to backup both the 1/2.

Tre Jones is about to have a break out year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He played back up point limited times last year and it was not pretty. The guy would be hounded just bringing up the ball over the half court line.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He played back up point limited times last year and it was not pretty. The guy would be hounded just bringing up the ball over the half court line.
    I'm not advocating his doing so, I'm saying based on roster construction he's clearly going to be doing so.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s a bum and who has never contributed to a good team. All the talk about him being a sniper and he’s never averaged over 5 3pt attempts a game in his career. If he gets that upto 8-10 attempts at 40% we can start talking about him being an asset that might get you an SRP. Otherwise he is a taller Brynn Forbes at 3x the cost.
    You may be right, but he's not trying to contribute to a good team right now.
    This can skew numbers, inflate importance and this is just me pie-in-the-sky type of thinking, but I might not be wrong.

He might have an opportunity to inflate his worth on this team by the trade deadline.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You may be right, but he's not trying to contribute to a good team right now.
    This can skew numbers, inflate importance and this is just me pie-in-the-sky type of thinking, but I might not be wrong.

He might have an opportunity to inflate his worth on this team by the trade deadline.
    Agreed. Shoot 8-10 3’s a game with a similar % and we won’t have to attach an SRP to offload him. He will never return you much in isolation. He’s best kept as a tank commander from my vantage point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At least Roby has some experience and skill , Sochan has the skill but not a lot of experience at least not pro experience. Don't think the spurs have much of a plan, other than to give the kids some experience to see what they can do. When that doesn't work out, they'll throw out last years guys. When that doesn't work, well that's just called tanking 101. It's going to be a weird season.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That too. If Sochan’s defensive genius is evident immediately then he’ll definitely get more playing time, but Roby supposedly has defensive skills as well, and more importantly can shoot from the outside, which should help him get more playing time in the short term, but I could see it being for the whole year to be honest.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But but but people told me on here THE SPURS WILL NEVER TANK!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But but but people told me on here THE SPURS WILL NEVER TANK!
    The Spurs will never shut down healthy players, and intentionally lose games. They will Win and lose as many games as the current roster playing all out will dictate.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs will never shut down healthy players, and intentionally lose games. They will Win and lose as many games as the current roster playing all out will dictate.
    Oh, so purposely fielding a bad roster is not tanking? It’s not intentionally losing games? You people will move the goalposts to whatever suits your agenda. Thankfully, the spurs are finally tanking. Deal with it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If roster make up is intentional and influences the outcome of games, and the moves the Spurs have done resulted in reduced chances of winning games, your often cited Occam's razor would suggest the Spurs are not trying to win...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, so purposely fielding a bad roster is not tanking? It’s not intentionally losing games? You people will move the goalposts to whatever suits your agenda. Thankfully, the spurs are finally tanking. Deal with it
    I don’t think you know your Spurs well. Spurs are rebuilding but not purposely tanking. There is a big difference. They will NOT win a lot of games because of lack of experience but not purposely losing game. And that’s okay because their goal this year is not championship, as you probably already have heard from Pop in his media day. But Pop will teach and that means he will demand defense and good passing, positioning. It’s not going to be pretty, but they will compete, no question about it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t think you know your Spurs well. Spurs are rebuilding but not purposely tanking. There is a big difference. They will NOT win a lot of games because of lack of experience but not purposely losing game. And that’s okay because their goal this year is not championship, as you probably already have heard from Pop in his media day. But Pop will teach and that means he will demand defense and good passing, positioning. It’s not going to be pretty, but they will compete, no question about it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanking_(sports)
    Tanking in sports refers to the practice of intentionally fielding non-compe ive teams to take advantage of league rules that benefit losing teams
    https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...ttery-strategy
    "Tanking," as we are to understand it, is a team's intent to do less than everything it can to win. It is a concerted effort over several months (and perhaps several seasons) by a team to deliberately not be as good as it could be
    I understand the meaning of tanking is open to interpretation, but there are clearly many people who actually would consider what the Spurs are doing as tanking. A more open and honest way of doing so, sure, but the intent is clear.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh - The Spurs are tanking. Ain’t their first time at the rodeo either, contrary to popular belief.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanking_(sports)

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...ttery-strategy

I understand the meaning of tanking is open to interpretation, but there are clearly many people who actually would consider what the Spurs are doing as tanking. A more open and honest way of doing so, sure, but the intent is clear.
    They're not tanking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    let it be noted that there are several ST posters here that consider any rebuild the equivalent to a tank job.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Would love to see Sochan get some Point Forward opportunities. His handles are equal to or better now than Primo's prior to his rookie year. Plus, he appears to be a much better passer and has better vision. I've said before, but my dream is that Sochan is Ben Simmons, Jr. I know he certainly didn't play that in college but his court vision reminds me of Simmons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would love to see Sochan get some Point Forward opportunities. His handles are equal to or better now than Primo's prior to his rookie year. Plus, he appears to be a much better passer and has better vision. I've said before, but my dream is that Sochan is Ben Simmons, Jr. I know he certainly didn't play that in college but his court vision reminds me of Simmons.
    He's light years away in terms of handles from Ben Simmons and he's not as athletic, and those 2 things are not likely to change that drastically. His passing and overall feel for the game is great, though. Ithink a more realistic ceiling is a combo of Draymond Green & Boris Diaw.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They're not tanking.
    Persuasive.

Thread Information