My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your move Utah…

The tank is on! In all seriousness get better KJ.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So it’s up to Johnson to be the unquestioned pillar this year. not complaining still better than Derozan era but who else is going to contribute 15+ offensive numbers. Wondering if Vassell and Primo ready

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I posted this on another thread, but should be here.

I don’t wish anyone injury, but Keldon’s injury could force Pop to start his players in their more natural positions, with Devin in 2, McD in 3 and Sochan in 4. And ultimately Keldon could come back playing the 3. I really like Sochan to show what he can do at 4. Ideally if they’re not in rebuilding and not trading Poeltl, I really want to see how effective a Sochan/Poeltl front court could be, how effective Poeltl be, playing along a good size PF.

Regarding Keldon’s position, which would not be a popular opinion here, but I think he’s best suited as a Manu role 6th man. Granted he can knock down 3’s but his short of lateral speed is still suspect to cover the faster 3’s in the league. For now I’d start: Tre/Devin/McD/Sochan/Poeltl or Primo at 3 if they traded McD before season opener. Although a Keldon/Sochan/Poeltl frontcourt could be intriguing. Poeltl will really mess-up the tank season because a Tre,Devin,Keldon,Sochan,Poeltl lineup might be quite compe ive on paper.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Johnson isn't expected to miss time. Also, Vassell is never going to be a full-time two. I think he'll play there quite a bit before McDermott is traded. But it also would surprise me to see Sochan play the five as much as Devin plays the two in the final rotation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So it’s up to Johnson to be the unquestioned pillar this year. not complaining still better than Derozan era but who else is going to contribute 15+ offensive numbers. Wondering if Vassell and Primo ready
    Vassal scored 12+ as the 5th option. I think he’s ready.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Johnson isn't expected to miss time. Also, Vassell is never going to be a full-time two. I think he'll play there quite a bit before McDermott is traded. But it also would surprise me to see Sochan play the five as much as Devin plays the two in the final rotation.
    Vassell is a wing similar to Bowen and Green. The former mostly played the nominal three here, the latter the two, but it was mostly a product of roster construction.

If Primo, Branham or future pick becomes a high level starting two, then Vassell is going to be more of a nominal three here. If not, then he won't be.

Tim to Tony to Manu! bdictjames's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Keldon is our best player, we are all in trouble. We probably are no better than a 15-win team.. it's sad to see what state Brian Wright has placed Pop into. Pop can coach, but there is only so much you can do with coaching, when there is an overall glaring lack of talent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Keldon is our best player, we are all in trouble. We probably are no better than a 15-win team.. it's sad to see what state Brian Wright has placed Pop into. Pop can coach, but there is only so much you can do with coaching, when there is an overall glaring lack of talent.
    Pop might not be at the helm in terms of general management but he is assuredly actively involved and bears considerable ownership for the poor roster construction we’ve seen for the last 4-5 years whether ppl want to hold him accountable or not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I rather they have the worst record and get as much chance at top 3 pick. But I think this young team will surprise a lot. 1. Teams will look pass them and that’s always dangerous against a Pop coached team who will play hard every night. 2. While DJ is a 20pt player, the ball is stuck in his hands. Tre is a better PG in setting up plays, and should get Poeltl going who is on a contract year playing for a big raise. 3. Keldon/Vassell likewise will be playing with chips on their shoulders as primary goto guys. Remember Devin getting snubbed in the Rising Star which he tweeted working even harder. I think will see Devin putting close to 20 pts or even more and could be a candidate for MIP.

Again this will not be the Rockets who will be hoisting silly 3’s and not playing D. Pop will be demanding them to play hard every night. And that will surprise a lot of teams looking pass through them. I’m even more excited now without a ballhog like DJ/Demar, instead playing a better motion offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop might not be at the helm in terms of general management but he is assuredly actively involved and bears considerable ownership for the poor roster construction we’ve seen for the last 4-5 years whether ppl want to hold him accountable or not.
    Pop hasn't mismanaged this much in his whole time in San Antonio. What makes you think he is mismanaging this time? Part of me thinks he is just there to fulfill his contract, as well as for current player development, but once he's out, he's out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Call me optimistic, but I see a better constructed balanced roster than during the Demar/Aldridge days. Demar was always a flawed player forced by nephew’s sabotaging Spurs trade returns. And Aldridge was pass his prime and too slow to switch. And Spurs had been trying to patch holes trying to make it work. Finally last season was the first season they didn’t have the flawed roster and got more wins than pundits predicted. Spurs now have long wings, who can knock down 3’s and switch, more suitable to modern NBA. It’s too early to say, but I think Spurs really got lucky with Blake who will be a stud in years to come, Sochan is what’s missing as fierce defensive big who is a Swiss army knife and plug holes, and Malaki arguably a pure scorer with sweet stroke. Again call me optimistic, but I see a very good balanced constructed roster, priming to get better. And maybe we get a top 3 next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I rather they have the worst record and get as much chance at top 3 pick. But I think this young team will surprise a lot. 1. Teams will look pass them and that’s always dangerous against a Pop coached team who will play hard every night. 2. While DJ is a 20pt player, the ball is stuck in his hands. Tre is a better PG in setting up plays, and should get Poeltl going who is on a contract year playing for a big raise. 3. Keldon/Vassell likewise will be playing with chips on their shoulders as primary goto guys. Remember Devin getting snubbed in the Rising Star which he tweeted working even harder. I think will see Devin putting close to 20 pts or even more and could be a candidate for MIP.

Again this will not be the Rockets who will be hoisting silly 3’s and not playing D. Pop will be demanding them to play hard every night. And that will surprise a lot of teams looking pass through them. I’m even more excited now without a ballhog like DJ/Demar, instead playing a better motion offense.
    Good point. Until it comes to the last play and there's no dependable Spur to take the last shot.

DJ knew the system. KJ was getting open looks, because the attention was on other players. If he's the main guy, expect it to look a lot like Derozan trying to bully to the basket, except much uglier.

At least the Rockets had talent. This team, has very little talent. We are outmatched by every single team in the NBA.

This is going to be the worst season in Spurs history, I hope people are just ready for that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good point. Until it comes to the last play and there's no dependable Spur to take the last shot.

DJ knew the system. KJ was getting open looks, because the attention was on other players. If he's the main guy, expect it to look a lot like Derozan trying to bully to the basket, except much uglier.

At least the Rockets had talent. This team, has very little talent. We are outmatched by every single team in the NBA.

This is going to be the worst season in Spurs history, I hope people are just ready for that.
    I think either Keldon or Devin will take the last shot. I prefer Devin (hence my avatar ). Devin is Spurs best overall offensive guy who can create for himself and knockdown shots. I’ll say Devin will be a candidate for MIP. I should make a new thread for that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vassell is a wing similar to Bowen and Green. The former mostly played the nominal three here, the latter the two, but it was mostly a product of roster construction.

If Primo, Branham or future pick becomes a high level starting two, then Vassell is going to be more of a nominal three here. If not, then he won't be.
    I agree. It's not just Primo, Wesley or Branham though. What happens with Johnson, Sochan and any future forwards the Spurs can draft also matters. If I had to put odds on who the starting SG, SF and PF will be in 2023-2024, I'd say Vassell, Sochan and Johnson are the favorites at their positions. If two of the guards become starters, then it's more likely to be that Vassell is on the bench than it is that one of Johnson or Sochan is. At least I hope that Sochan has that floor.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This is a 20-win team there is a no way to spin it. Sure, they will have some fluky wins every now and then against some good teams but this team overall roster wise is just bad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a 20-win team there is a no way to spin it. Sure, they will have some fluky wins every now and then against some good teams but this team overall roster wise is just bad.
    The fact that the ‘take’ foul on the break is now 1+ ball is going to be huge for a young athletic team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I posted this on another thread, but should be here.

I don’t wish anyone injury, but Keldon’s injury could force Pop to start his players in their more natural positions, with Devin in 2, McD in 3 and Sochan in 4. And ultimately Keldon could come back playing the 3. I really like Sochan to show what he can do at 4. Ideally if they’re not in rebuilding and not trading Poeltl, I really want to see how effective a Sochan/Poeltl front court could be, how effective Poeltl be, playing along a good size PF.

Regarding Keldon’s position, which would not be a popular opinion here, but I think he’s best suited as a Manu role 6th man. Granted he can knock down 3’s but his short of lateral speed is still suspect to cover the faster 3’s in the league. For now I’d start: Tre/Devin/McD/Sochan/Poeltl or Primo at 3 if they traded McD before season opener. Although a Keldon/Sochan/Poeltl frontcourt could be intriguing. Poeltl will really mess-up the tank season because a Tre,Devin,Keldon,Sochan,Poeltl lineup might be quite compe ive on paper.
    Just about KJ:

I think you're just finding something for him. He's not a fit. Not for what want to accomplish at least. He's a tweener. Now if the guy was 6/8 then I can see it but the guy is 6/5. I say we hype him up as much as possible and make a megga-ish deal. Unfortunately I really think the NBA knows what i know and would never give up much for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Keldon can’t add a few more elements to his game these next two years such as being a solid defender or true goto scorer he hopefully gets moved for a haul that is probably less than DJ but more than D White.

train em up and ship em out till we have a few legit possible cornerstones.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, that's the point. It's called tanking for a reason. Pop did it to himself by putting this off for years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This is exactly what we should want. Youngins keep it close, then lose it late due to inexperience.

Get a top 3 pick, then try and do better next year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, that's the point. It's called tanking for a reason. Pop did it to himself by putting this off for years.
    Agreed Pop should not get any passes for this crappy roster. His fingerprints are all over it. He refused to rebuild the moment Kawhi wanted out. He decided to keep this mediocre team together for his own personal glory of getting the all-time wins record.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed Pop should not get any passes for this crappy roster. His fingerprints are all over it. He refused to rebuild the moment Kawhi wanted out. He decided to keep this mediocre team together for his own personal glory of getting the all-time wins record.
    When you break it down, the ddr and lma team could have been good. Murray does his acl. Morris back stabs. Carroll never plays a meaningful minute the moment he signs. Gasol breaks a foot and essentially retires. LMA just quit on his last year of his contract to chase a ring, retires due to heart condition then comes back anyway.

A lot went wrong for the spurs that directly followed the Leonard saga.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol at posters who want to win games this year

Thread Information