My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KJ is getting that trophy
    and an allstar nod

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    **Vegas** had them with the lowest possible championship odds.

Speaking for myself, I fully expected us to suck and have one of the bottom 3 or 4 records but i always said I would reserve judgement on it until I got to see Sochan play with the team because if Pop played him as a starter he had a chance to help our defense by making DJ a 3. And Sochan has impressed beyond my hopes switching 1 to 5. And his transition offense is a game changer. We now have a very solid 2-5 as Vassell has rounded into a more consistent scorer as most of us ecpected. Our PG is lagging but not atrocious and the bench now that you have Richardson coming in from there rounds out to be a very nice club. That said, their cieling is still mediocre, and they'll still be middle of the road at best unless and until we get a top end talent in the draft.

Not sure to whom you were responding but who here was expecting us to suck because we lost Demar? We sucked since we got him minus the first year when LMA was an All-Star still. Also many were, and still are, expecting a trade of Poeltl and Richardsonat some point.
    Ya - we “suck” in context of playoff teams, but I was referring to the many fans that thought losing DeRozan or not playing aging vets meant the bottom would fall out when it should have been obvious that was not going to happen.

The youth is always mostly underrated - which fair enough; if you dont want to anoint them before they prove it over and over I get it and thats fair. But not even seeing the talent at all?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man why y'all making up fantasies? He was there, he wore a grey Gunna sweater, jeans and jewelry @ Spurs sweat suit
    What type of cologne was he wearing? Damn….

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keldon getting that AS nod will be nice. I can’t wait to see the matchup against borderline AS DJ and the Hawks

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keldon getting that AS nod will be nice. I can’t wait to see the matchup against borderline AS DJ and the Hawks
    What’s an ass nod?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What type of cologne was he wearing? Damn….
    tell us Ms. Cleo since you’re so good at predicting the future

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good for Indiana getting bennedict mathurin, he’s looking good

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too bad if Spurs would continue to lose then Devin (and Keldon) would not get the recognition(s) that they deserve.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Devin Vassell needs to be in the talk for Most Improved Player this season. He has seen a jump in his overall game and an eight-point gain in PPG compared to last season. #GoSpursGo #PorVida

https://twitter.com/twoshotspodcast/...PADmhE1hO08n0Q

I don’t know how to properly upload videos. But yeah, Sean mentioned last night Devin’s jump in scoring at +8.7 as the highest in the NBA this year. Devin if he continues, should get that consideration. But idk in a losing season. Lauri has strong bid also.
    Last edited by John B; 11-15-2022 at 11:28 AM.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Ringer: The NBA First-Month(ish) Awards
    Michael Pina, Nov. 14, 2022

Most Improved Player: Shai Gilgeous-Alexander

Two years ago, SGA was handed the keys to an Oklahoma City offense that was suddenly driverless after losing Chris Paul and Dennis Schröder. He responded with a breakout campaign—a 23.7-point scoring average and deadeye 3-point shooting off the bounce—that was ultimately dampened by the Thunder’s race to the bottom and SGA missing the season’s final 29 games.

What Gilgeous-Alexander is doing now, though, can’t be ignored. He currently ranks seventh in points per game, sixth in PER, first in drives per game, first in 2-point baskets, tied for third in steals, eighth in win shares, ninth in estimated plus/minus, and seventh in usage rate on a would-be-tanking Thunder team that’s outscoring opponents by 3.8 points per 100 possessions when he plays.

SGA always has been a savant getting downhill, but his body control on drives to the rim is more advanced now. The way he changes speeds makes guarding him feel like you’re trying to sip an open mug of hot coffee in stop-and-go traffic. All pump fakes, pivots, and sharp shoulders. His Euro-step might as well take place on a cloud, an airy hop into his teardrop floater. It’s this lithe combination of strength, deceleration, length, and unbridled creativity that makes stopping Gilgeous-Alexander’s progress one of this season’s hardest tasks.

If reports of him getting antsy in Oklahoma City prove true, several backcourt-needy teams with assets to burn (think Pelicans, Knicks, Heat, Wizards, Raptors, and … Jazz/Spurs?) would be very wise to invest. Gilgeous-Alexander was really good coming into this season. Now he’s one of the most unstoppable scorers in basketball and very well could be a front-runner in the next category, too, if he played for a team that wasn’t likely to be terrible by the time All-Star voting closes.

Honorable mention: Desmond Bane, Devin Vassell, Anfernee Simons, Bol Bol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Ringer: The NBA First-Month(ish) Awards
    Michael Pina, Nov. 14, 2022
    Thanks for sharing.

Sadly it’s the same fate for Devin (an even Keldon for All-Star) playing for a losing team, especially if they embrace the tank.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said this before and I'll say this again, Vassell has the highest offensive upside on our team. He still needs to improve his mid range and ball handling, and once he does that he will be special. I would say that year, he's in the same tier as Demar derozan, but with the improvements, he could unlock another tier. We've seen flashes of this, we've seen him take over games, hit tough shot and look unstoppable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol at people calling Steph, Luka and Tatum chuckers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said this before and I'll say this again, Vassell has the highest offensive upside on our team. He still needs to improve his mid range and ball handling, and once he does that he will be special. I would say that year, he's in the same tier as Demar derozan, but with the improvements, he could unlock another tier. We've seen flashes of this, we've seen him take over games, hit tough shot and look unstoppable.
    He's also a better 3 point shooter than DDR and a better defender

I know, that's super obvious lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol at people calling Steph, Luka and Tatum chuckers
    that's elite company. Would be great if he can keep that up

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need Vassell and KJ to get better at drawing fouls and earning FTs.

That's one thing most elite teams have. Players who can get to the charity stripe to settle the team down when jumpers are not falling.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    29 pts 11-19 shooting, 4-9 from the 3 (a lot of moving, over defender), 3 assists, 1 steal, 1 block. Not too shabby.

But what is impressive is the way he creates for his shot, his handles and aggressiveness attacking his defender, instead of just passively catching. Devin has truly embraced that goto scorer role. And as Timvp says, he could very well end up as top 20 scorer in the league.

The rebuilding season has been good so far, catapulting Keldon, Vassell into goto scorers. Tre developing great leadership and poise, Sochan’s ballhandling and passing, Bassey’s emergence as another big. Roby, KBD getting better. And pretty much the team competing every night and just getting better.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As good as Devin is playing I think it has become obvious that the Spurs blew it by not taking Haliburton (who was just named player of the week btw). Still am irritated by it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Branham keeps this up Devin Anthony Vassell might be traded before his extension.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Branham keeps this up Devin Anthony Vassell might be traded before his extension.
    I don’t agree as I don’t see the same skill set in them. While both are prolific scorers with long range shot, Branham lately has shown ballhandling skills and a facilitator, whether as a starting PG or a backup is another discussion. Yet Branham is not as good a defender as Devin, not tall and not athletic enough. Devin can chase down block and is a very good help defender. Earlier in the season, yes their skills could be redundant, with Devin having defensive edge. But lately Branham changed that. He gives Pop another option as a facilitator, while Devin remains a SG/SF defensive player.

If ever I see Keldon as potentially could be moved. While he has improved a lot as a SF, Devin is still the better SF fit between the two. Still I doubt the Spurs would move Keldon. BUT, the Spurs would need to be compe ive in 2 years or Keldon could be wanting to get traded. I no longer see that giddy face anymore, maybe Keldon has matured a lot as the leader, or maybe because he doesn’t like losing. He’s an Olympic gold medalist, a borderline AS and highly compe ive. I just don’t see him taking loses lightly. Keldon might start to express frustrations if things don’t change in the next two years imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t agree as I don’t see the same skill set in them. While both are prolific scorers with long range shot, Branham lately has shown ballhandling skills and a facilitator, whether as a starting PG or a backup is another discussion. Yet Branham is not as good a defender as Devin, not tall and not athletic enough. Devin can chase down block and is a very good help defender. Earlier in the season, yes their skills could be redundant, with Devin having defensive edge. But lately Branham changed that. He gives Pop another option as a facilitator, while Devin remains a SG/SF defensive player.

If ever I see Keldon as potentially could be moved. While he has improved a lot as a SF, Devin is still the better SF fit between the two. Still I doubt the Spurs would move Keldon. BUT, the Spurs would need to be compe ive in 2 years or Keldon could be wanting to get traded. I no longer see that giddy face anymore, maybe Keldon has matured a lot as the leader, or maybe because he doesn’t like losing. He’s an Olympic gold medalist, a borderline AS and highly compe ive. I just don’t see him taking loses lightly. Keldon might start to express frustrations if things don’t change in the next two years imo.
    Vassell is only an inch taller and while-his offensive game has taken a nice jump labelling him a prolific scorer is a reach. Branham has the potential to be a prolific scorer however and while I agree he is more of a combo guard if he does take that leap their overlap becomes abit redundant. The notion Vassell is a good defender really hasn’t been supported by his play.

I agree Keldon is more likely to be moved. Longer term you can’t have two turn-styles at the 2 and 3.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    John B is just high on every Spurs rookie. We got 7 future All-Stars on our team and would have 8 if Primo didn't show his to everybody

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    John B is just high on every Spurs rookie. We got 7 future All-Stars on our team and would have 8 if Primo didn't show his to everybody
    9 don’t forget Barlow

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    9 don’t forget Barlow
    Well played…..

Thread Information