Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...a-lago/671510/

I brought up another potential future primary rival, by mentioning that he had been compared to New Jersey’s feisty Governor Chris Christie before the two men faced off in the 2016 primary. Trump replied, “I was compared to him? Why? I didn’t know I had that big of a weight problem.” A small smirk followed. Then: “He’s an opportunist.” I heard that Trump was describing Florida Governor Ron DeSantis in similar terms, calling him “fat,” “phony,” and “whiny,” while claiming credit for making his candidacy in 2018.
    the inevitable divorce DeSantis and Trump are going to have will be hilarious

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Desantis is seriously overweight, iow, an average American

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    DeSantis is more threatening simply because he’s 30 years younger and likely will be around longer to continue to be a danger to America. And he seems just as crazy, just as power hungry and power driven, just as narcissistic. He doesn’t have quite the hypnotizing ability Trump has over some people. But his youth is what’s potentially very scary.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DeSantis is more threatening simply because he’s 30 years younger and likely will be around longer to continue to be a danger to America. And he seems just as crazy, just as power hungry and power driven, just as narcissistic. He doesn’t have quite the hypnotizing ability Trump has over some people. But his youth is what’s potentially very scary.
    and

no one ever remembers when russia attacked our elections and desantis was right there alongside gym jordan making a mockery of congressional hearings and defending putin, trump and russia...

I am certain Russia had a say in desantis winning the gov election in florida - i am not going to be shocked if one day we find russia financed much of desantis' political career.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    DeSantis is "scarier" because he's smarter and so much more efficient at using executive power than Trump ever will be, but I don't think he'll have the staying power that Trump has. The average AmeriFAT in Iowa viewed Trump as the paragon of American wealth and success before he ever entered politics which gave him a cult of personality that no one will ever match.

Other young up and coming politicians like DeSantis have a small window of 1-2 cycles max when there's good momentum behind them running for president, and DeSantis won't be any different. Heck, by 2028 the GOP might have a new flavor of the month no one has even heard of yet.

DeSantis is also a dork. He's a 5'9" manlet with a nasal voice. I don't really get why people view DeSantis as the "Trump, but really good in suburbs!" candidate. He was the first Republican in Florida to lose Duval County since the 1980s.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Really good points. Trump’s celebrity and fame with a lot of people before politics is a major reason his cult not only grew but has had surprising staying power, despite everything it represents against common sense and reality. I hope you’re right that DeSantis simply won’t have that same type of following or staying power. And with your reasoning, I do tend to agree with you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hearsay

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well one thing we know for fact is that Trump is fat, phony and whiny

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    NGL, Trump is hilarious when he's going after other Republicans

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's hilarious when he goes after anyone because there's always a backfire tweet or jpeg

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really good points. Trump’s celebrity and fame with a lot of people before politics is a major reason his cult not only grew but has had surprising staying power, despite everything it represents against common sense and reality. I hope you’re right that DeSantis simply won’t have that same type of following or staying power. And with your reasoning, I do tend to agree with you.
    Fascist Desantis is vastly more dangerous because he's smart, Yalie graduate, not ignorant and stupid like Trash who was known to his professor as the dumbest student he ever had.

Fascist Desantis also has the advantage of learning from Trash's failed fascist coup and other mistakes.

Repugs also watched very carefully how Trash failed and will certainly finish the job of degrading USA into fascism, starting as soon as this November is Repugs take the House. ALL Dem investigations will be cancelled, and many Benghazi-type harassment investigations will be started, of Fauci, Hunter Biden, etc, etc. Repugs will NOT govern, only bag politics.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Smart can be dangerous for a politician with a crazy ideology and/or agenda if he has a following to not only put him in political power but to keep him in political power. I don’t disagree that DeSantis is smarter, and how could he not be? We have yet to know for sure if he has the political influence among the masses outside of Florida to really be a legitimate danger on a national scale and a threat for the presidency.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NGL, Trump is hilarious when he's going after other Republicans

I almost want Trump to not get locked up until after the GOP primaries just so I can witness him and DeSantis going at it

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you with Trump or are you with the conservation of the Grand Ol Party? T

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I almost want Trump to not get locked up until after the GOP primaries just so I can witness him and DeSantis going at it
    Would be hilarious. DeSantis has years of ammunition against Trump

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would be hilarious to see Desantis get the nomination and then Trump cry the primaries were rigged and torpedo him and the gop with a third party run.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Smart can be dangerous for a politician with a crazy ideology and/or agenda if he has a following to not only put him in political power but to keep him in political power. I don’t disagree that DeSantis is smarter, and how could he not be? We have yet to know for sure if he has the political influence among the masses outside of Florida to really be a legitimate danger on a national scale and a threat for the presidency.
    Big Repug $$$s not going to Trash, but to Desantis.

Desantis private, armed election Gestapo will intimidate 100Ks of FLoridians away from the polls,

which is advantage Desantis, advantage Repugs who always benefit from low turnout.

Paul Weyrich said it 40 years ago.
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 09-26-2022 at 05:53 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you with Trump or are you with the conservation of the Grand Ol Party? T
    c.) all of the above

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Would be hilarious to see Desantis get the nomination and then Trump cry the primaries were rigged and torpedo him and the gop with a third party run.
    This is why DeSantis isn't going to run against him, he knows that even if he beats Trump in a GOP primary, he loses.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is why DeSantis isn't going to run against him, he knows that even if he beats Trump in a GOP primary, he loses.
    I expect the GOP establishment to consolidate around DeSantis and convince Trump to endorse him.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I expect the GOP establishment to consolidate around DeSantis and convince Trump to endorse him.
    that's essentially equivalent to asking a hungry grizzly bear to eat leaves off a tree instead of the freshly killed deer next to said tree

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    theres no convincing trump. if anything they have to sell desantis on being trumps vp and heir apparent

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    that's essentially equivalent to asking a hungry grizzly bear to eat leaves off a tree instead of the freshly killed deer next to said tree

Exactly, anyone who has paid even a small amount of attention to Trump and his character flaws knows that ain't happening. Trump will burn the whole house down first.

DeSantis won't run if Trump is still in the picture.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    And Trump won't give a . If he loses to DeSantis in 2024 he'll be a fat old man with no political future who's probably 5-10 years away from dying (in a best case scenario for him), why the would he care about helping the GOP establishment at that point?

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Trump's PAC is sitting on $100 million right now and he's not using a penny of it to help GOP candidates in close races, even Trump-endorsed candidates like Doug Mastriano who are underfunded and could really use help from a PAC.

If he's too selfish to use PAC money to help a governor candidate he endorsed in Pennsylvania who's basically said that he would rig the 2024 PA election for Trump if he's elected, why the would he ever get behind a primary opponent who beats him in 2024 and ends his political career?

Thread Information