Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course it's Pop's last year of coaching. His successor from Utah is already waiting in the pipelines.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would be funnier if it’s KJ instead of DJ, who also got close to Draymond (and other big stars) during the Olympics, and now the face of the Spurs.

On a side note, I think, and hope, the Hawks guard-duo would flop hard in their face especially if the W’s are not happening. Those two will start fighting for the ball. And I can’t see either one of them giving in.
    hater

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey DJ was a borderline AS. If the W’s are not there, I don’t see them giving 2 AS to Hawks, especially when DJ’s numbers getting hit not being a primary ballhandler. Meanwhile, KJ is the face of the franchise and whose production should skyrocket, even getting an AS nod I hope.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would be funnier if it’s KJ instead of DJ, who also got close to Draymond (and other big stars) during the Olympics, and now the face of the Spurs.

On a side note, I think, and hope, the Hawks guard-duo would flop hard in their face especially if the W’s are not happening. Those two will start fighting for the ball. And I can’t see either one of them giving in.
    You want the flop to happen in a few years time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You want the flop to happen in a few years time.
    Something I'm def keeping my eye on too. That ATL 2025 & 2027 and the 2026 swap are just far enough out for DJ to flop, Hawks to plummet, yet not enough time for ATL to since recover. Meaning those picks might be pretty juicy by the time they hit. I think DJ/Trae will be somewhat good initially, just not sure it stays steady in the long run.

Anyone think CHA hits the playoffs this year just barely and sends that 2023 in doing so?

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Something I'm def keeping my eye on too. That ATL 2025 & 2027 and the 2026 swap are just far enough out for DJ to flop, Hawks to plummet, yet not enough time for ATL to since recover. Meaning those picks might be pretty juicy by the time they hit. I think DJ/Trae will be somewhat good initially, just not sure it stays steady in the long run.

Anyone think CHA hits the playoffs this year just barely and sends that 2023 in doing so?
    The Hornets pick is protected 1-16 for 2023, so the Hornets would have to not just make the playoffs but finish with a better record than at least two other playoff teams for their pick to convey in 2023.

It's protected 1-14 in 2024 and 2025 so the Hornets would just have to make the playoffs for it to convey.

I'm thinking it's about a 15% chance the Spurs get the Hornets pick in 2023. The Hornets are going to bust their ass to win but the Bridges scandal really hurt them. Probably a 35-40% chance in each of 2024 and 2025 because they can sneak in via the play-in and have more offseasons to improve.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the updates Dejounte.

Perhaps I’m out of line here but I’m thinking Pop likes the mental for ude collectively that this team possesses.
    Basically calling the team Chumps from the get-go is not something he could do based on previous leaders and personnel (DJ excluded).

Refreshing tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan (paraphrasing) saying other players aren’t going to like the way he plays and comparing himself to Rodman… to praise from Vassell about all the rooks’ compe iveness. Yeah, refreshing for sure.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are there any videos of the media day interviews?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m excited to see these boys learn on the job! We have some pretty good roster versatility.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Hornets pick is protected 1-16 for 2023, so the Hornets would have to not just make the playoffs but finish with a better record than at least two other playoff teams for their pick to convey in 2023.

It's protected 1-14 in 2024 and 2025 so the Hornets would just have to make the playoffs for it to convey.

I'm thinking it's about a 15% chance the Spurs get the Hornets pick in 2023. The Hornets are going to bust their ass to win but the Bridges scandal really hurt them. Probably a 35-40% chance in each of 2024 and 2025 because they can sneak in via the play-in and have more offseasons to improve.
    good info thanks for the clarification. I agree with you, the stronger 23 protections combined with personnel issues will challenge the 23 conveyance from CHA. Probably for the best as SA just reloaded 3 rookies around other youth and might prefer to stagger that reward out to 24 or 25 anyway so they don't choke on too much development.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lotta interesting things coming out of these media interviews. Should be a fun season. I can definitely see Keldon's numbers sky-rocketing and him getting that "rising star" buzz throughout the season, though I doubt the Spurs' record will be conductive to him getting any nods whatsoever. He's technically already "played" in the Rising Stars game, so at this point, it's All-Star or bust I guess.

Hyped to see the rookies getting at least some playtime with the big squad, and especially good to hear Poeltl is still "involved" and considered a part of the team. Even if they trade him mid-season for a good return, having a solid, unselfish 5 to hold everyone together through the first half of the season is great. Plus, gives even more time for ZCollins to "shake off the rust" and see where he's at really.

Fun times ahead. Low expectations seasons usually end up being quite rewarding.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The juicy Hawks timeline in regards to the picks from the DJ trade is the exact opposite of a potential LAL deal where I agree with others that LAL can reload too fast to trust the value of a distant Lakers FRP. I don't trust it to not be some 25-30 due to the TV market in LA being too precious to let fail. Not enough to deal with WBs salary hosting/waiving WB. All that for basically an early 2nd, most likely imho. Don't get me wrong LAL had doldrums even in the Kobe era but their ability and the assistance they could receive by money interests to get back to contention in a snap gives me cold feet.

Gotta do something with this space though so whatever but I hope to find better options as teams shake out and see some needs and get desperate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo and KJ both going in the right direction body size wise in terms of true positional fit and its gotta thrill ST to see. Love to hear the traditional rules are out the door on rookie mins. Pretty smart to hang on to some more established players like Poeltl and JR because if you are going to run a lotta rookies you need a few bones guys to hold the team up so the rookies can get value experience. You dump all rooks out there and they are fumbling over each other and getting intimidated and frustrated. That's no good for development, these are kids you're going to give someone PTSD throwing green kids out there with no frame to operate within.

Established guys hang around til the deadline, help give the rooks some traction, and then catch some assets at the deadline. Best case scenario to me. It's like yeah Poeltl might be good for +15 wins, Okay, Spurs will now win 15 games, that's still a tank lol. Not to mention Pop can pull big names and throw weird lineups out to "toss" close games. People keep saying this is a team with no take over guys but what if this was just building up the crown all along to drop the jewel into with the 23 draft pick. Tons of solid role players built up already, all SA needs is the crown jewel to drop in and it all makes sense imo. There are a few guys in the 23 draft if you pick early enough that could potentially be that finishing touch I suppose.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tom Orsborn: Josh Primo enters his second season loaded with optimism:

"We want to make the playoffs, and I think that’s the consensus of a lot of guys here. We are going to have fun doing it...It’s always fun to prove people wrong."

https://twitter.com/tom_orsborn/stat...192940033?s=19

It seems every year for the past several years one of our young guys says something like this. For example, I specifically recall that a couple years ago, DJ said they had a bunch of dogs and would surprise people, KJ said practically verbatim what Primo said, last year. And on and on.

Sorry Josh, but unless Sochan is so special nobody sees it coming (and he hasn't played yet so there is some mystery to what he'll bring), this will likely be the worst year in SA since the 1996-97 season. These young bucks (league-wide) always feel they will buck the oddsmakers but almost never do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't wait to watch us lose 60 games this season

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope not Our defense will hopefully carry us along with some timely shooting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope not Our defense will hopefully carry us along with some timely shooting.
    You realize we were one of the worst defensive teams in the NBA last year despite near full health? We also lost one of our best defensive players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You realize we were one of the worst defensive teams in the NBA last year despite near full health? We also lost one of our best defensive players.
    16th place in def rtg

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn’t think Spurs were bad defensively. And I think will do even better this year despite losing DJ. For one, Sochan will be better than Keldon at 4, at least on paper. Having a defensive PF should keep Poeltl from overhelping. DJ is great at steals but he gambles for a steal (stat padding I always thought). And Pop I think will demand defense first than anything from this group. So yeah I think Spurs will be even better defensively this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The juicy Hawks timeline in regards to the picks from the DJ trade is the exact opposite of a potential LAL deal where I agree with others that LAL can reload too fast to trust the value of a distant Lakers FRP. I don't trust it to not be some 25-30 due to the TV market in LA being too precious to let fail. Not enough to deal with WBs salary hosting/waiving WB. All that for basically an early 2nd, most likely imho. Don't get me wrong LAL had doldrums even in the Kobe era but their ability and the assistance they could receive by money interests to get back to contention in a snap gives me cold feet.

Gotta do something with this space though so whatever but I hope to find better options as teams shake out and see some needs and get desperate.
    How’s LA going to reload? They have no picks to trade until 2027 and 2029. In the last 25 years, they have signed exactly 2 top FAs: Shaquille in 1996 and an aging LeBron in 2018. The myth of free agents busting down their door is built around ring chasers, not franchise players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We'll need it. We'll have some tough compe ion to earn the one-seed in the draft. The Rockets and Pacers both look tough. Young rosters without much to play for. The Thunder without their top pick from this past draft are always down for good tanking. The Jazz are trying to make all the necessary moves to be the top draft dog. It's going to be a challenging year, but, God willing, I think we've got a real shot at #1.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We'll need it. We'll have some tough compe ion to earn the one-seed in the draft. The Rockets and Pacers both look tough. Young rosters without much to play for. The Thunder without their top pick from this past draft are always down for good tanking. The Jazz are trying to make all the necessary moves to be the top draft dog. It's going to be a challenging year, but, God willing, I think we've got a real shot at #1.
    I think Utah is in the running too. I think Spurs can beat out of one those three teams - Utah, Houston, Indiana to get that Top-3 lottery odds. Banchero, Myles Turner should get some good non-losses for them.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poodle, Sochan , vassell + are all plus defenders. Tre is also nice on defense….we will be better defensively I’m thinking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The #1 pick isn’t earned, it’s drawn, and in the 4 years of the flattened draft odds, the worst team has drawn 0 #1 overall picks in 4 tries.

Thread Information