Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/spurs-insi...its-preseason/

This is going to be a really interesting preseason, IMO. It'd be cool if Sochan starts right away -- but I'm mentally preparing for McDermott. We'll also get to see what type of potential Vassell has offensively and if there are any signs that Tre Jones can shoot.

Unfortunately, two main storylines (Primo gunning for the PG job and Keldon trying to prove he can play out on the perimeter) are in a holding pattern for the time being . . . . . . .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like I said in another thread that this was posted, thanks, nice work. Pretty much what common sense would dictate, no more toilet in the kitchen kind of line ups. The only worry I have is that, although if definitely makes more sense from a basketball standpoint (Tre @ PG, Vassell @ 2, Keldon @ 3, McDermott / Sochan @ 4 & Poeltl @ 5), and with all those guys having something to prove (Poeltl, Vassell & Tre are facing a contract year, Keldon wants to become "the guy", & McDermott will fight not to become trade fodder), it will definitely make us win more games than strictly necessary for a high pick. The thought of OKC sidelining SGA with phantom injuries and landing Wembanyama as a result makes me sick to my stomach.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    timvp.

Do you truly believe that the Spurs are trying to shoehorn Primo into the PG spot? My gut has always told me that his time at PG was more of a developmental thing vs. actually preparing him to be a PG. A lot of the ball handling aspects and understanding of the game can come from time spent at that position. You know, get him thinking about how a “team” works.

I’ve always thought the idea was to expand his skill set and accelerate development in certain areas of his game, not to actually make him a PG.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We’ll lose a lot, but still excited to see the young guys develop. Most pumped for my guy Vassell and that 3rd year jump!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still hoping they move Jakob before the start of the season.

Deal with CHI makes a lot of sense:
    Jakob for Vuc + 23FRP (via Por) + 28FRP (light protections)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Is there any realistic chance that they'd offer that? I don't see it..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

So that means the Bulls will have traded Otto Porter Jr, WCJ and 4 first round picks for Jak

LOL

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you truly believe that the Spurs are trying to shoehorn Primo into the PG spot?
    "Last season, Johnson played the majority of his minutes at power forward."

I’ve always thought the idea was to expand his skill set and accelerate development in certain areas of his game, not to actually make him a PG.
    We can pray for a type of Intervention.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really not looking forward to having to watch McDermott take minutes from Sochan, or, well, pretty much anyone. I guess I'd rather watch him then Weiskamp or Romeo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tough to see two non-shooters in the starting line-up in Jones and Sochan. I'm really intrigued to see what Primo does this year. He's the dumping ground for the professional grousers on this board but they could be very wrong.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yak, Sochan, Jones — all three non shooters. Will be interesting. I see Jones shooting better, but it’s a low bar.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jones n sochan can shoot...just let em shake the rust off

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tough to see two non-shooters in the starting line-up in Jones and Sochan. I'm really intrigued to see what Primo does this year. He's the dumping ground for the professional grousers on this board but they could be very wrong.
    Primo is the current scapegoat for the cynics. Rightfully so, I suppose… and I’m a Primo fan.

From the moment they drafted him the team has sold him high. One could easily make the case the Murray became expendable partly due to their belief that Primo could potentially be a better player.

Primo becoming an All-Star seems far fetched but I like his game. He’s deceptively crafty and seemed overly deliberate in taming his wilder tendencies. So I don’t see why he can’t open that up again but with more thought and measured control.

I’ll reserve judgement until well passed the halfway point.

I think it’ll be a rocky start.

Something about this team tells me they think they can win games early on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are there any rumblings about Poeltl possibly agreeing to a max (for him) extension? Sure, it'd be a little below his projected value, but he might value security. Some not dissimilar players (Adams, Nance) have extended at a similar price.

Also, Tre Jones sounds like he has deserved an extension himself. Any news on that front?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If this team thinks it can turn itself around in 3 years poodle would be worth keeping.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think if any extension is happening, it will happen after preseason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think I threw up a little when I read that Poeltl is our best player

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For the starting lineup PF position I see Roby (last year starter in okc) as a better solution than McDermott (not a of) and Sochan (rookie). Doesn't bother that he can defend decently and shoot a little...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see how Sochan starts with Poeltl and Jones starting also. Three non shooters is a hard ask.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jones/Wesley/(Hall)
    Vassell/Primo/Branham
    Johnson/Richardson/McDermott/Langford
    Roby/Sochan/KBD
    Poeltl/Zollins/Dieng/(Barlow)

Starting 5:

Jones
    Vassell
    Johnson
    Roby
    Poeltl

Bench:

Primo
    Richardson/Branham
    McDermott
    Sochan
    Collins/Dieng

Could see Spurs trying to get non traditional ball handlers to bring up or initiate offense. Primo slotted at the 1 but really playing mostly off ball 2 while someone like Vassell Richardson or Branham is slotted at the 2 but bringing up and or orchestrating the half court sets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could see that 13th dress out being a rotating test run for KBD, Wesley or Langford depending on matchup, if you wanted to showcase for a trade (KBD or Lang), or if you wanted to test a skill you've been working on with them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jones/Wesley/(Hall)
    Vassell/Primo/Branham
    Johnson/Richardson/McDermott/Langford
    Roby/Sochan/KBD
    Poeltl/Zollins/Dieng/(Barlow)

Starting 5:

Jones
    Vassell
    Johnson
    Roby
    Poeltl

Bench:

Primo
    Richardson/Branham
    McDermott
    Sochan
    Collins/Dieng

Could see Spurs trying to get non traditional ball handlers to bring up or initiate offense. Primo slotted at the 1 but really playing mostly off ball 2 while someone like Vassell Richardson or Branham is slotted at the 2 but bringing up and or orchestrating the half court sets.
    Great rotation and explanation, I have had the same thoughts. Primo playing those backup point duties is definitely a possibility, similar to how White played that position out of necessity and not because it was best suited for him.

My only disagreement is with McD at 3. I don’t think he spent a minute there last season and no reason for him to suddenly be able to play there this season either. Unlike Keldon, he hasn’t improved his agility so defense would be even worse if he was counted on to defend perimeter wings. We’ll see.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel like Vassell can shift up to the 3 situationally. Johnson and McDermott can shift up to the small ball 4 situationally. Wonder if Sochan and possibly Roby can do some situational Center?

Pretty versatile group. Putting Johnson or McDermott on the wing with Roby/Dieng inside could be a 3PT threat with some ball movement. Tons of guard combos that potentially could be dynamic. Will be fun to watch development this year. Excited to hear Pop has the open mind.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great point DJ. I worry about McDermott being able to cover freak PFs defensively but he does slot better naturally in the 4. Plus unless Sochan is just a total meteor I bet Spurs will need some coverage in the PF slot. Sochan's rookie limitations and Roby still learning the playbook- there is some time at the 4 for sure especially early on.

I expect a pretty tight Roby/Sochan (dare I say Sochan/Roby even?) PF rotation for San Antonio by the last 30 games or so though, should be enough time to acclimate and excel.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think there’s more you can get away with defensively at the 4 simply because there aren’t that many freak PFs (if by this, you mean big and physical) in the NBA right now. I think, most times, just having a body there to stop players is somewhat enough defensively as a 4. On the other hand, if a player is assigned to defend quick, perimeter players then the defense completely breaks down and the Center is more likely to get into foul trouble.

so while the bar is low for a 4 to be good defensively, the upside is extremely high. I think that’s why they drafted Sochan to begin with; if he works out for us, the team defense would be extremely good. I can’t think of many elite defensive 4’s in the NBA right now— only guards, wings, and centers. I think it’s an untapped area ever since the NBA changed into what it is now. The NBA hasn’t seen the perfect defensive 4 who can literally guard 2-5 and provide elite help defense. When that day comes (hopefully it’s Sochan), it’s going to be game-changing.

Thread Information