Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-san...season-game-1/

Welp, that's a way to start off preseason action.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks OP! I intentionally clicked a GMC ad to help out some lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That damn near mid ranger from Poeltl was especially interesting because wasn't it kinda along the base line and he did it in that little cup scoop shot technique he usually does in the paint so like a much longer floater and it looked pretty pure like he's been working on that.

Will be huge if he can range out on those since he will likely be utilized with other non range shooters like Jones etc Sochan (though he surprised with some shots from 3 last night. I was told he wasn't a shooter lol)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That 3 Sprinkles hit was pretty ballsy. Not really drawn up or a huge open window either. Wasn't it pretty quickly pulled up and even a decent close out by the nearby defender and he still sunk it. Tried one from the same spot a few possessions later even much more wide open but it was like he had too much time lol and that one he over thought on and the release wasn't as true on the miss.

But that first made 3 was interesting because he was going for it deliberately like he's been working on that look. It wasn't like Sochan was just found wide open and took one, looked like he deliberately wanted that attempt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the tanking clowns got what they wanted. we'll be lucky to win 22 games this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks Timvp. Having Sengun backdown Poeltl was not close to being “stout.” B+ is too high for me. I was expecting Sochan/Poeltl and how Sochan’s defense could’ve helped Poeltl, but instead it was Diop. Here’s hoping Pop just wanted to see more Diop and what to do with him.

Sochan impressed me. He was quick on his feet defensively. His shot was better than expected. I really think he should start.

Malaki is a pure scorer and should be the first one’s to come out off the bench. Blake, I like his aggressiveness, but again still very raw and should play a lot in Austin to improve.

Devin just had a bad night. He’ll be okay. Tre needs to attack the basket more, but his 3 is there.

It’s pre-season. I’m not going to overreact. And Keldon and Primo could’ve helped. On to the next game

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bran and Roby came to play. Everyone else was meh, bad, pretty bad or really bad (hitting the side of the backboard ..really). Granted its preseason, but come on guys have a little pride in your profession.

It was a bad first game no doubt, and the time is now to make a few changes on the team so that the real players can get their preseason minutes and improve a bit. The coaching and rotations weren't very good either.

We don't have to tank. As constructed this team will lose a lot of games, hopefully we don't set a record for losses. They made the decision to tank and this is what you get . Its going to be a very long season.
    Last edited by jjspur; 10-03-2022 at 09:48 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bran and Roby came to play. Everyone else was bad, pretty bad or really bad (hitting the side of the backboard ..really). Granted its preseason, but come on guys have a little pride in your profession.

It was a bad first game no doubt, and the time is now to get rid of the dead wood lingering on the team so that the real players can get their preseason minutes and improve a bit. The coaching and rotations weren't very good either.

We don't have to tank. As constructed this team will lose a lot of games, hopefully we don't set a record for losses. Its going to be a looooong season. They made the decision to tank and this is what you get .... is everyone happy now.
    Been saying this for years. Tanking sounds great in theory, but not sure how many of these fans will be able to stomach 10-game losing streaks and still care enough to tune in and watch. Last night was just a taste of what is to come...we got blown out by the Rockets C-squad and they are looking to also be one of the worst teams in the NBA.

I've finally resigned to the fact that tanking is what we need to do, but I don't expect to enjoy it much. We've been spoiled by winning for a historically long time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I enjoy watching sniffers meltdown. It’s quite fulfilling.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice write up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Been saying this for years. Tanking sounds great in theory, but not sure how many of these fans will be able to stomach 10-game losing streaks and still care enough to tune in and watch. Last night was just a taste of what is to come...we got blown out by the Rockets C-squad and they are looking to also be one of the worst teams in the NBA.

I've finally resigned to the fact that tanking is what we need to do, but I don't expect to enjoy it much. We've been spoiled by winning for a historically long time.
    Stomach winning 20 something games as opposed to what? winning 35 games and have nothing to show for it as a result? We've been trying that for 3 years now... this is where it got us. The best chance to get out of this h3llhole is by means of adding talent... you know, like the Rockets that whopped our a$$ did... or just about every team in the league that is trending up right now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    61K for a Denali. Damn. That’s a lot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stomach winning 20 something games as opposed to what? winning 35 games and have nothing to show for it as a result? We've been trying that for 3 years now... this is where it got us. The best chance to get out of this h3llhole is by means of adding talent... you know, like the Rockets that whopped our a$$ did... or just about every team in the league that is trending up right now.
    Trust me, I get it. Being stuck in the middle of the NBA is literally the worst...not winning , but also not gaining assets. We are probably a few years overdue to start the tanking effort, especially once DeMar and LMA left.

Just saying, the casual Spurs fan was used to our teams winning 50-60 games a season. Obviously those days went out the door with Tim Duncan, but...if you think attendance was poor the last couple seasons, hold on to your butts.

Whether its for the right cause or not, watching your team get embarrassed isn't much fun and I watch sports to have fun.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did contact year Yak actually work on his game this off-season with that jumper…interesting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trust me, I get it. Being stuck in the middle of the NBA is literally the worst...not winning , but also not gaining assets. We are probably a few years overdue to start the tanking effort, especially once DeMar and LMA left.

Just saying, the casual Spurs fan was used to our teams winning 50-60 games a season. Obviously those days went out the door with Tim Duncan, but...if you think attendance was poor the last couple seasons, hold on to your butts.

Whether its for the right cause or not, watching your team get embarrassed isn't much fun and I watch sports to have fun.
    If someone expects to win 50-60 games right now, there's no point in trying to appease them, that's a lost cause no matter what route we take. So we might as well focus on shortening that period as much as we can, which is exactly what we're hoping they'll do. If it goes well, in a couple of years we might pick up right where we left off. If we had realized that sooner, the agony might be over by now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What we saw yesterday was not far from expectations: Branham is really polished and ready to go, Sochan needs to get into rhythm but he's active and smart and clearly has no business playing behind KBD or McDermott, Roby is an interesting prospect who should start right away, and Wesley is painfully raw and should be developed in Austin before exposing him in the NBA (this coming from someone who said so all along but was still clamoring for us to pick him up), his grade was very generous. Watching Wieskamp on the court makes me wonder what the h3ll they see in him. He doesn't even look good shooting, which is supposed to be his strength. A head scratcher as far as I'm concerned.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not me.
    I intentionally clicked a SailPoint ad.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I did not find watching Spurs basketball enjoyable after the Spurs traded Kawhi. Pop being the selfish ego maniac he was delayed the rebuild to be a useless mediocre team simply because he wanted to have the all-time win record. In my eyes winning 15 games or winning 32 is the same. I'm fine with this team sucking for a while until they get a legit star. The positive side of this is that I have no emotional investment like I did in the past or care about how the Spurs fair against other contenders. I can just enjoy seeing other teams do well without having to hate them outside of Warriors who I will always hate.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Rockets - A+
    Spurs - D

But that is to be expected you guys are a couple of years behind us in rebuilding.

DD

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    after watching the guard play last night (not including blake and maliki) maybe the possibility of scoot henderson as a consolation to Wemba isn't such a bad scenario after all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What we saw yesterday was not far from expectations: Branham is really polished and ready to go, Sochan needs to get into rhythm but he's active and smart and clearly has no business playing behind KBD or McDermott, Roby is an interesting prospect who should start right away, and Wesley is painfully raw and should be developed in Austin before exposing him in the NBA (this coming from someone who said so all along but was still clamoring for us to pick him up), his grade was very generous. Watching Wieskamp on the court makes me wonder what the h3ll they see in him. He doesn't even look good shooting, which is supposed to be his strength. A head scratcher as far as I'm concerned.
    Agreed. What the team needs right now is someone to take control and tone everything down. When Poeltl attempted to pass an alley oop to Vassell, I shook my head so hard. There were quite a bit of boneheaded plays last night.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wieskamp might be able to hold on to a spot on the end of the bench this year but unless he shows something soon, his NBA career might be over before it ever really started.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wieskamp might be able to hold on to a spot on the end of the bench this year but unless he shows something soon, his NBA career might be over before it ever really started.
    So far Wieskamp just seems like a ty McDermott...and that's not a good sign given McD's play with the Spurs

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe Lil Weezy will stick around because he’s good friends with Primo. You know, got to keep the franchise player happy!

Joking?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe Lil Weezy will stick around because he’s good friends with Primo. You know, got to keep the franchise player happy!

Joking?
    The funny part is they have equal chance at becoming franchise guys lol.

Thread Information