Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Had they played, maybe Keldon and Primo would have made a little bit of a difference. I don't think either would have hit the side of the backboard though. At least they have shown that they can hit a three and drive inside.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [QUOTE=Dex;10812646]So far Wieskamp just seems like a ty McDermott...and that's not a good sign given McD's play with the Spurs[/QUOTE
    I like that a ty McDermott, you must mean a tier McDermott considering how bad McNuggets played.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Out of everything that happened last night, I was especially un-impressed and disappointed in Tre Jones. Preseason, yes, low-talent teammates, maybe, but... He was the exact third-string player that he was last season yesterday. Team offense was a mess and he had a large hand in that, and I didn't see any improvements whatsoever regarding his shooting confidence - matter of fact, I remember him shying away from shooting on back-to-back possessions. Just a no-go for the supposedly "never lost a summer scrimmage" "starting PG" guy.

I don't know how Primo will play this season, but I'm eagerly hoping it's at least good enough to put Tre on the bench, where he belongs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah, tre looked nothing like a legit starting PG last night. not in the least.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The funny part is they have equal chance at becoming franchise guys lol.
    I think Weezy could be a franchise guy for the Austin Spurs. Come on now!

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As for Tre Jones, I've supported him as a solid backup PG. Last night was bad for him in particular to be a starter. But it's the first game and all that, I suppose.

I missed seeing Malaki play, but it doesn't surprise me that he played well. His poise on offense is special. Assuming he plays more, his defense will probably frustrate the out of me. But if Pop gives Malaki the Tough Love Approach, I think Malaki will up for the challenge. So I'm curious to see how Pop handles Malaki, and how Malaki responds.

Blake's shooting form, including his stance, is troubling. He's a confidence guy and luckily he doesn't seem to get fazed, so there's tons of hope longterm.

It would have been great to see Keldon and Primo, if for nothing else than to see what sort of leadership they would have provided. The leader role has been given to Keldon. If he can actually assume that personality, then it will be huge for his progress. I think more likely is that Primo, with his personality style, will become the closest thing we have to a leader, so for that I want to see him play.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trust me, I get it. Being stuck in the middle of the NBA is literally the worst...not winning , but also not gaining assets. We are probably a few years overdue to start the tanking effort, especially once DeMar and LMA left.

Just saying, the casual Spurs fan was used to our teams winning 50-60 games a season. Obviously those days went out the door with Tim Duncan, but...if you think attendance was poor the last couple seasons, hold on to your butts.

Whether its for the right cause or not, watching your team get embarrassed isn't much fun and I watch sports to have fun.
    I get so sick of this idea that anything other than tanking or contending is a waste of time. Tanking sucks. Most of the folks wanting it aren't going to go to games. Many I suspect won't even watch them. When it comes to a product, I'd far prefer a 6-8 seed team that competes hard on defense and has some good talent and chemistry. My favorite regular season in recent memory was 2017-2018. That's not just because it was the last hurrah for Tony and Manu. It had Aldridge doing this best carry job of his career, LDN in his last season with the team, Slowmo growing into a defensive menace, Murray emerging. Rudy, Patty and Pau gave a number of good moments too. It sucks the Spurs got the Warriors that year in the first round. I feel pretty confident they would've beaten Houston.

That year was quality ball, and it's not something that's unattainable. Aldridge was a special player despite the he got and still gets on this forum. The intangibles for the other HoFers on the team can't be overstated. But that's still something they can do with moderate drafting success and aggressive free-agent signings. Passing that up trying to be bad enough to draft a superstar that they have to keep happy and healthy for long enough to rebuild a team around them. That's way harder, and I think the ROI is worse. So it's more miserable in the near future and likely not truly better in the long term. I'm a Spurs fan and will watch the team as much as I can, but for sure my interest is at an all-time low. If the on-court product is going to be this bad, the off-court stuff isn't going to be able to balance it out. Count me as someone who'd prefer the Spurs to find a way to the play-in even if it costs them in their lotto spot. I obviously hope they they win the lotto if they make it there I don't have a good feeling that the Spurs are going to turn things around based on their pick, no matter who they select.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Out of everything that happened last night, I was especially un-impressed and disappointed in Tre Jones. Preseason, yes, low-talent teammates, maybe, but... He was the exact third-string player that he was last season yesterday. Team offense was a mess and he had a large hand in that, and I didn't see any improvements whatsoever regarding his shooting confidence - matter of fact, I remember him shying away from shooting on back-to-back possessions. Just a no-go for the supposedly "never lost a summer scrimmage" "starting PG" guy.

I don't know how Primo will play this season, but I'm eagerly hoping it's at least good enough to put Tre on the bench, where he belongs.
    The only one who played well in the first half was Roby. I didn't like Poeltl nearly as much as timvp did. I'm just going to chalk it up to rustiness. With more practices under this belt, I'm hoping he can find the balance between being aggressive and facilitating. I think the general lack of structure on offense Pop's been cultivating for the last few years isn't helping, and it'll take time for folks to figure things out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    excellent preview of the tank tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah, tre looked nothing like a legit starting PG last night. not in the least.
    Just read Mac McClung got cut by the warriors. He isn't the best but he is at least a point guard and doesn't cost a lot. Spurs could use someone who isn't afraid to drive into the paint and either make a layup or dish out to someone like Bran or Keldon. After last nights game he would be an upgrade. Time to cut the guy who hit the side of the backboard. Hasta la vista Langford. We hardly knew ya.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs are missing three starters from an already marginal team from last year -- Primo, Keldon, Dejounte. It's not a huge surprise they sucked, although it's not fun.

Tons to work on and super disappointing to see Jones and Vassell suck it up. Keita should be deep on the bench. I'm not terribly interested in the usual jags whining about whether we're tanking or not. The point is progress and trying to be compe ive. I'd much rather get Malaki, Sochan and Wesley out there. Each of them became really important for their teams as their NCAA seasons went along; Wesley in particular had to carry a bad ND team. I'm more interested in them than Jones or Vassell.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs are missing three starters from an already marginal team from last year -- Primo, Keldon, Dejounte. It's not a huge surprise they sucked, although it's not fun.

Tons to work on and super disappointing to see Jones and Vassell suck it up. Keita should be deep on the bench. I'm not terribly interested in the usual jags whining about whether we're tanking or not. The point is progress and trying to be compe ive. I'd much rather get Malaki, Sochan and Wesley out there. Each of them became really important for their teams as their NCAA seasons went along; Wesley in particular had to carry a bad ND team. I'm more interested in them than Jones or Vassell.
    Agree with this although Primo isn’t a starter. Vassell really isn't either. Keldon is a 3rd or 4th option on a good team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh. We know we're going to suck this season for sure but I wouldn't overreact to anything that happens in a preseason game tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem with such a weak overall roster is that there is NO ONE to make the mediocre players look better. I bet Vassell has plenty of nights like this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem with such a weak overall roster is that there is NO ONE to make the mediocre players look better. I bet Vassell has plenty of nights like this.
    Good point.

Keldon, Vassell and Jak have their work cut out from them on the offensive end and that’s not a knock on Tre Jones it is that DJ was at least a threat who needed to be watched.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh. We know we're going to suck this season for sure but I wouldn't overreact to anything that happens in a preseason game tbh
    Seems like most of the spurs (not all) were completely unprepared to play. They made Houston look like NBA champs. I know that we had a few players out and that will help a bit later on, but we're still a bad team with a long way to go.

Anyone catch highlights of the suns - Adelide 36ers game. Those Aussies could shoot the three, and that's probably why they won the game. Spurs need to hire their shooting coach or steal a few of their players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get so sick of this idea that anything other than tanking or contending is a waste of time. Tanking sucks. Most of the folks wanting it aren't going to go to games. Many I suspect won't even watch them. When it comes to a product, I'd far prefer a 6-8 seed team that competes hard on defense and has some good talent and chemistry. My favorite regular season in recent memory was 2017-2018. That's not just because it was the last hurrah for Tony and Manu. It had Aldridge doing this best carry job of his career, LDN in his last season with the team, Slowmo growing into a defensive menace, Murray emerging. Rudy, Patty and Pau gave a number of good moments too. It sucks the Spurs got the Warriors that year in the first round. I feel pretty confident they would've beaten Houston.

That year was quality ball, and it's not something that's unattainable. Aldridge was a special player despite the he got and still gets on this forum. The intangibles for the other HoFers on the team can't be overstated. But that's still something they can do with moderate drafting success and aggressive free-agent signings. Passing that up trying to be bad enough to draft a superstar that they have to keep happy and healthy for long enough to rebuild a team around them. That's way harder, and I think the ROI is worse. So it's more miserable in the near future and likely not truly better in the long term. I'm a Spurs fan and will watch the team as much as I can, but for sure my interest is at an all-time low. If the on-court product is going to be this bad, the off-court stuff isn't going to be able to balance it out. Count me as someone who'd prefer the Spurs to find a way to the play-in even if it costs them in their lotto spot. I obviously hope they they win the lotto if they make it there I don't have a good feeling that the Spurs are going to turn things around based on their pick, no matter who they select.
    As always, a sage and wise post from you.
    The vocal dweebs will ignore it, as per usual as they've already started to ignore you as they comment ahead.
    Whatevs. You're appreciated.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I agree, it's not just about contending or tanking. I got joy knocking the lakers out last season. But spurs hand was made on that Murray deal. You just have to take that package and hope after this season things progress and we have 5 to 10 years of playoff runs in due course.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Part of me wants this group to overachieve just to show Murray he’s not all that.

But what’s the Vegas over/under on wins? 23.5? Definitely the under. Money in el banco.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tre is not the answer to anything

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Agreed. I’ve been on the “Primo isn’t fit to be the primary PG” train for awhile now, but that was contingent on Tre actually looking competent. So far, he’s giving us no reason why Primo or someone else shouldn’t just take the reins and see how it shakes out from there. Tre is supposed to offer stability for the short term while Wesley or a future point guard eventually takes over. He provided no imprint on this game, and it was reminiscent of a typical “Lonnie special” invisible game. Only one preseason game, so I hope he settles in by game 15 or else his NBA career is going to be a short one.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 10-04-2022 at 03:20 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tre is not the answer to anything
    Right now, Tre is what he is...a third-string PG currently playing in a starting role.

Should guarantee plenty of losses if that stays the case

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right now, Tre is what he is...a third-string PG currently playing in a starting role.

Should guarantee plenty of losses if that stays the case
    Tre is well on his way to being a solid backup PG.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tre is well on his way to being a solid backup PG.
    For his sake, I hope so...have no ill will against the kid and hope he succeeds in the league somehow.

Just haven't seen it yet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For his sake, I hope so...have no ill will against the kid and hope he succeeds in the league somehow.

Just haven't seen it yet.
    Don’t say any of this to John B who thinks he can easily get those triple dubs like DJ did…

Thread Information